Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

build a shed on a very tight budget?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

The day of out wintering cattle is long gone for man, beast, land, and nitrates. With the winters were after having the day of animal standing in 3 foot muck at around feeder is gone,think before you jump in to building something temp and think long term cheaper in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jimini0

The day of out wintering cattle is long gone for man, beast, land, and nitrates. With the winters were after having the day of animal standing in 3 foot muck at around feeder is gone,think before you jump in to building something temp and think long term cheaper in the long run.

That's not true.
    Around here when the muck gets above 1ft we move the feeder.
    Simple idea really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

No it is more that you have to put a plan in place for health and safty etc. It is not just building a house. The health and safty guru's are trying to shut everything down. They are doing a fine job. If you get a painter in you technically have to put a job plan in place (method of work etc). Even in my senario of the containers a method statement technicall should be in place.

Technically if getting a slurry tank emptied by a directly employed worker/contractor ( even though he is supplying the tanker etc) a method statement should be in place. It will make small jobs very expensive if they enforce it. It would mean that if you wanted any small job done in the house etc you will need a project manager.

It has also been brought that only qualified electricians can connect to an electrical supply. So for instance if you want to put in a shower in a bathroom the plumber cannot carry out the electrical work you need a registered Electrician and he has to certify the work. It is questionable if a non insured electrician can do it.

Safe System for Work, dont think ive ever filled one out.
    Cscs renewal isnt as straight forward as it used to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

td5man wrote: »
    Safe System for Work, dont think ive ever filled one out.
    Cscs renewal isnt as straight forward as it used to be

Is this the same as jha/jsa in mining ect? Pain in the ho!e,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,370 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Is there some regulation now that you cant build a shed/house yourself?
    Building control (amendment) regulation S.I.9.

Heard something about this, can you elaborate. As I build all my own buildings around here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Never knew farm sheds came under that umbrella mental note what they aren't told won't concern them lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I said wrote: »
    Never knew farm sheds came under that umbrella mental note what they aren't told won't concern them lol

Another one comes to mind, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Reggie. wrote: »
    Heard something about this, can you elaborate. As I build all my own buildings around here

Something about having to be built by certified builder, cif registered next year.
    Not 100% sure if it is for ag buildings

Something about having to be built by certified builder, cif registered next year.
    Not 100% sure if it is for ag buildings

Better get building now so before it gets cleared up

My thoughts exactly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Reggie. wrote: »
    Better get building now so before it gets cleared up

Have started

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

The actual saying is it is often easier to beg forgiveness than ask premission.

Not sure how hard this isuue will be. It is not that you have to employ a registered contractor, it is that if you do not you have to either employ a project manager, or if you intend to do yourself you must draw up a method of work statement.

Biggest issue is that where planning is required then County Council/Health and Safty will be aware of it. Another issue may well be down the line that farmers will be require to withhold part of payment ( with holding tax) form non registered contractors like some other sectors and return to revenue.

Revenue to may not allow capital allowances or tax treatment of payments unless we comploy. It may be a case we have to do a little reserch comploy.

Advertisement