Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

build a shed on a very tight budget?

Options
  • 24-03-2014 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

hi guys, i have recently come into about 100 acres of land, but there are no real sheds on the place, i dont really plan on being a big commercial farmer any time soon, i am only taking back about 8 acres this year and about 20 acres of rough ground, the rest is rented out, i am looking at it more as a small holding at the minute, any how i need some sort of shed to get my flock number and herd number i was thinking of getting a couple of galloway cattle so i can out winter them, is 5 grand realistic or am i only dreaming, i'm obviously not expecting some state of the art slatted shed, but maybe some type of small barn type shed on a concrete slab

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

I'd be interested in opinions on this too. Thinking of building a 1000sqft shed with concrete base for under 5K. Mainly to house sheep around lambing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

bigtomw wrote: »
    hi guys, i have recently come into about 100 acres of land, but there are no real sheds on the place, i dont really plan on being a big commercial farmer any time soon, i am only taking back about 8 acres this year and about 20 acres of rough ground, the rest is rented out, i am looking at it more as a small holding at the minute, any how i need some sort of shed to get my flock number and herd number i was thinking of getting a couple of galloway cattle so i can out winter them, is 5 grand realistic or am i only dreaming, i'm obviously not expecting some state of the art slatted shed, but maybe some type of small barn type shed on a concrete slab

Are you planning on ever being commercial or is it only hobby farming you intend.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭bigtomw

Are you planning on ever being commercial or is it only hobby farming you intend.

just a hobby for now as i also work full time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Stock polytunnel?

Bought a 23x42x10.5 (high) tunnel this year. Not erected yet mind you, but it was the most cost effective solution to my flocks housing needs. The ground work is something you will spend money on whatever you intend on putting on top of it.

Stock polytunnel?

Bought a 23x42x10.5 (high) tunnel this year. Not erected yet mind you, but it was the most cost effective solution to my flocks housing needs. The ground work is something you will spend money on whatever you intend on putting on top of it.

yer i was looking at the poly tunnels, but wasn't sure if they would also meet the requirements to get a herd number for cattle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

yer i was looking at the poly tunnels, but wasn't sure if they would also meet the requirements to get a herd number for cattle

Was there a herd number there before?

I can't see why it wouldn't. The Department would be able to clarify in any event. For cattle housing it would need to be taller than one designed for sheep.

Was there a herd number there before?

yes my father had on but he died 17 years ago and has been dormant since, and there were some stone outhouse at that time but these have since fallen into dissreppair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

yes my father had on but he died 17 years ago and has been dormant since, and there were some stone outhouse at that time but these have since fallen into dissreppair

Are you going to reactivate that?
    That will be easiest option id say.
    Apart from that I haven't a clue about putting up a cheap shed unless you keep an eye on done deal for one thats being dismantled or you know someone who is taking one down

Are you going to reactivate that?
    That will be easiest option id say.
    Apart from that I haven't a clue about putting up a cheap shed unless you keep an eye on done deal for one thats being dismantled or you know someone who is taking one down

as far as i know reactivating that one and applying for a new one both require an inspection to make sure i have the facilities, but i will probably reactivate that one

• Advertisement

If you intend being a commercial farmer I would be slow going near Galloway cattle as it is a fairly restricted market. Virtuall all cattle are capable of being outwintered and traditional breeds, Angus, Herefords and Shorthorns especially so. However even Fresians and continentals are as well.

For a herd no you need a crush and small shed to house a sick animal. Handling faculities are more important than housing. Yes 5K would build such a structure. However you will have to do a good bit of the work yourself. A shipping container might pass for a shed some S/H rough one can be got for the taking away, A good one delivered by one of the company's that deal in them might be got for 1200+VAT. I look for a rough one and take the doors off, one long side could be used as wall of pen. As Con says ground work will be an expensive part of it if no yard there already. Picking up 1-2 rough containers and buying a good one as a store and then building a small crush and chute to handle cattle would get you going.

If you intend being a commercial farmer I would be slow going near Galloway cattle as it is a fairly restricted market. Virtuall all cattle are capable of being outwintered and traditional breeds, Angus, Herefords and Shorthorns especially so. However even Fresians and continentals are as well.

For a herd no you need a crush and small shed to house a sick animal. Handling faculities are more important than housing. Yes 5K would build such a structure. However you will have to do a good bit of the work yourself. A shipping container might pass for a shed some S/H rough one can be got for the taking away, A good one delivered by one of the company's that deal in them might be got for 1200+VAT. I look for a rough one and take the doors off, one long side could be used as wall of pen. As Con says ground work will be an expensive part of it if no yard there already. Picking up 1-2 rough containers and buying a good one as a store and then building a small crush and chute to handle cattle would get you going.

thats a great idea that i would never of thought of

If there are some stone old sheds it may not be a big job to put a roof on one or two and it may be a more viable option. 1K would buy a good bit of timber and sheeting can be got in different lenghts for 1.5-2 euro/ft. After that a bit of gravel and cement to repair top of walls. You could for 5K get a lot done.

If there are some stone old sheds it may not be a big job to put a roof on one or two and it may be a more viable option. 1K would buy a good bit of timber and sheeting can be got in different lenghts for 1.5-2 euro/ft. After that a bit of gravel and cement to repair top of walls. You could for 5K get a lot done.

the building are past the point of being able to repair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Seperate to the shed thing..
    Its beyond me why people opt for Galloway or such breeds that have no commercial purpose. Its just odd... Surely if you opted for Hereford or Angus at least there is a market.

bbam wrote: »
    Its beyond me why people opt for Galloway or such breeds that have no commercial purpose. Its just odd... Surely if you opted for Hereford or Angus at least there is a market.
    i was thinking of geting them as i know they are hardy, but my plan was to cross them onto an angus or white head bull and then selling off the weanlings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

i was thinking of geting them as i know they are hardy, but my plan was to cross them onto an angus or white head bull and then selling off the weanlings

I'll wait to be corrected but I'd be thinking the market for killing them must be very limited..

They might be interesting to keep.. but I don't think there's a commercial reason to keep them.. I know someone who had Kerry's for a while and got rid as there was no demand or interest in the product... other than the occasional interest from another guy thinking of having rare breeds.

My advice is stick to something with a market, unless you have a specific market lined up for the Galloways... they're just pets !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

bbam wrote: »

:))

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bikes

I reactivated my fathers herd number,he died 12 years beforehand,it was simple enough as far as I remember.They asked me have I a crush and shed for a sick animal and never actually came to inspect. You will definately get sorted for 5k. If your buying stock for outwintering go for an animal with a nice hairy coat,but all cattle can be left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭on the river

Ya a good chute and a decent shed will be alright.

angus or saler are great for outwintering .

could you apply for any grants to repair any out buildings ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stop thelights

thats a great idea that i would never of thought of

Just following on from Pauds idea. If you got two containers space em maybe 20ft apart with one maybe a foot or two lower than the other. Get 12x3's or what ever you would think be strong enough to span the 20ft and roof it. So you've got your crush on side. A container for storage/ration store, a 20ftx40ft shed and another container to act as machinery store( shovels and what not ha). Could be cheap and cheerful but do the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Ya a good chute and a decent shed will be alright.

angus or saler are great for outwintering .

could you apply for any grants to repair any out buildings ?

Jezzz don't mention the grants word again :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

with 5k you should be able to put up a nice 2 bay with a gravel yard and pens. buy a good share of gates and have something that you can work with down the future. 2 containers in a yard might work for a while but it will be harder get the inspiration to build up and work from them as a starting point. design the shed that you can build off it and develop it as your herd progresses.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Jezzz don't mention the grants word again :P

Grants, grants, grants, grants, lovely, loveeeeeeeeeeeely grants :D

Oh! sorry you said don't mention them, my bad :o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I like stop the lights' idea of 2 shipping containers, but better long term would be a free standing lean to with concrete sloped floor, leave room to build a tank and feed passage on to it at a later date, crush/sheep handling could be along one side of it for now, you can always move the head gate later on. Doing a lot of the work yourself 5k will still buy H irons and roofing. You only need concrete under the cattle. Not sure about sheep to be honest. Timber esb poles etc. would be ok for sheep but not cattle

Only other advice would be

Learn to weld
    buy decent gavanized gates to divide pens
    Concrete is still good value delivered in as readymix

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭9935452

Are you willing/able to do work yourself, like groundworks/ steelworks.
    depending on size 5 grand would go a long way but i could see it costing more especially if you get someone to do the work for you.
    Think ground works, like clearing topsoil, concrete floor , lorry load of ready mix 500-600 euro.
    Cost of buying and erecting the shed.
    costs you wouldnt be thinking about as well like planning permission, wiring the shed for electricity , water .
    if there is no yard , you will have the cost of putting down passages as well
    Cattle crush , gates barriers will cost a few quid as well for example
    http://www.donedeal.ie/farmsheds-for-sale/cattle-crushes/5481702

Examples of shed prices are as follows
    http://www.donedeal.ie/farmsheds-for-sale/shed-for-sale-16-x-16/5626685
    http://www.donedeal.ie/farmsheds-for-sale/farm-industrial-buildings/6664529
    http://www.donedeal.ie/farmsheds-for-sale/agricultural-sheds/6436374

My advice would be to sit down with a builder/engineering firm who make sheds and get quotes for the whole job for different sizes.

Get a list of items you want like the crush /gates barriers /water troughs etc and see what the total comes in at

5K will not stretch far. Looking at the sheds even the cheapest will set you back 3-4K. If you have not the Building, welding, general farming skills you will be on a steep learning curve anyway.

A good 20' container will be an ideal lock up, make sure there is a lock box on it. It will set you back 1.3K+vat.( I presume that you will be able to claim back vat) The 1-2 old ones will still cost you 4-500 by the time they are delivered. Cattle will be outside you only need one if an animal gets sick. I concentrate on a good crush. The reason is that longterm you may want to farm all the 100 acres. You can get away for years without sheds but handling cattle (especially by your self) reqnuires a good handling faculity.

A 30' crush, headgate and a pen capable of holding at least 40 cattle will stand you in good stead longterm. The good container can be used to store tools, medicines, workclothes, electric fence etc. You could also if you place it in the right place get an electrical connection into it. You may need to insulate it to prevent driping so that will cost a few hundred.

The other tthing is visit an accountant it is the best 3-400 you will ever spend. I go with an accountant that is familar with farming. You will be farming atb a loss for a few years:o and if you are on the hight tax rate it will mean a bit of tax back. Also you cannot claim VAT back unless you are a sole trader now and it makes taxing a van easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Is there some regulation now that you cant build a shed/house yourself?
    Building control (amendment) regulation S.I.9.

td5man wrote: »
    Is there some regulation now that you cant build a shed/house yourself?

No it is more that you have to put a plan in place for health and safty etc. It is not just building a house. The health and safty guru's are trying to shut everything down. They are doing a fine job. If you get a painter in you technically have to put a job plan in place (method of work etc). Even in my senario of the containers a method statement technicall should be in place.

Technically if getting a slurry tank emptied by a directly employed worker/contractor ( even though he is supplying the tanker etc) a method statement should be in place. It will make small jobs very expensive if they enforce it. It would mean that if you wanted any small job done in the house etc you will need a project manager.

It has also been brought that only qualified electricians can connect to an electrical supply. So for instance if you want to put in a shower in a bathroom the plumber cannot carry out the electrical work you need a registered Electrician and he has to certify the work. It is questionable if a non insured electrician can do it.

• Advertisement

5K will not stretch far.

The above is very, very true.

Advertisement