Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pairing a Suunto Movestick with Edge 800 via Trainerroad

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I have Speedplay Zero stainless on two bikes, my wife has Zero chromoly on her bike. The bearings in my wife's pedals are well knackered - after several rides recently I found that one of the pedals, the one she clips in and out of most often, was seized. The bearings in one of mine (the more used bike) are close to that but not as bad. Greasing them makes them usable for another few spins, or maybe one or two spins in my wife's case since she does a lot of mileage, so I'm planning on replacing the bearings in both.

I think I was spoiled by the reliability of the bearings in my previous Look pedals, which were still going strong when I replaced them after several years. My problematic (relatively speaking) Speedplay pedals have a little under 10,000km on them at this stage (maybe closer to 8,000km when one of the pedals first seized), far less than my Look's accrued. I guess the smaller and less-well sealed bearings in the Speedplay will never be as long-lived. The outer bearing in particular has to have minimal seals to allow you to pump grease into the pedal through that bearing so the very design of them suggests a shorter lifespan, something I never considered when I first started to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

The Looks are fairly bulletproof alright. I use Xpedo's which are similar to Look (same cleat practically) and they are pretty good too. That's a pity re the bearings. Disappointed to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I've read online claims of the bearings that ship with Speedplay being inferior quality and that putting in decent quality bearings hugely improves their lifespan (and performance too, claim some). I'm very dubious about that though, I suspect it's just a consequence of the pedal design. I'll be putting some branded bearings in shortly but I think it's luck of the draw whether they'll last any longer.

Advertisement