Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebola virus outbreak

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Satirish press..sounds like a joke news site? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I hope so. But nothing to be joking about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Satirish press..sounds like a joke news site? :)

Well spotted I think you're right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

Surely a wind up?

"After the lady’s return to Ireland she is believed to have accompanied friends to Mantra Nightclub in Maynooth where she is thought to have kissed several men."

”Young people tend to kiss many partners in nightclubs, this kissing could result in a very quick spread of the virus”

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Its a spoof website FFS. Its says it at the top of the page. In case you missed the obvious name like.

Its like Waterford whispers but about a million times less funny

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Turtwig wrote: »
    No they aren't.

Only in the severe stages of infection does it actually appear plausible. That's the key word plausible. There's lab trials that appear to suggest it's not improbable but there's no actual case files to suggest it happens.

To use the analogy of super heated water. In a lab it can be shown that microwaved water can explode in your face. In reality, no such thing has ever happened to anyone who microwaved water - the conditions have never been that exact.

My mother ended up in hospital when a mug of water she had microwaved blew up as she dropped a spoon into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

My mother ended up in hospital when a mug of water she had microwaved blew up as she dropped a spoon into it.

I cant watch that in work. If it says it cant happen, I saw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I cant watch that in work. If it says it cant happen, I saw it.

No, it says it can happen. The end conclusion is that it's very unlikely (as water would need to get superheated and NOT boil, which really only happens with distilled water) however given the numbers of people using microwaves it's possible this might happen 'a few times a year'

• Advertisement

good stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I heard chill pills were being handed out by the HSE to counter any localised outbreaks of hypochondria related to eBola and that panic merchants were running out of stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Two people died in a riot in Sierra Leone sparked when health workers struggling to contain the Ebola epidemic tried to take a blood sample from an elderly woman, doctors told AFP on Wednesday.

A machete-wielding mob clashed with security personnel in the eastern town of Koidu and then went on a rampage on Tuesday, after preventing a medical team from taking the blood from the 90-year-old mother of a youth leader, doctors from the local government hospital said.

The woman, who had been suspected to be infected with Ebola, had died and was thought to have high blood pressure.

Sierra Leone is one of three west African nations hardest hit by the deadly Ebola epidemic, the world's worst ever.

At least 1,200 people have died in the country, from 3,410 infections, as of October 14, according to latest World Health Organization figures.
    Tuesday's unrest erupted when a crowd holding machetes and shovels stopped one team in the diamond mining town of Koidu from testing the elderly woman.

When the health workers called in security guards for protection, the violence grew into a riot, resulting in the two deaths and 10 people being wounded, the doctors the Koidu Government Hospital said.

"Two bodies are now at the mortuary. I cannot say whether they have bullet wounds or what caused their deaths as the corpses have not yet been examined," said one of the doctors who asked not to be identified.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/world/two-die-in-sierra-leone-riot-sparked-by-ebola-tests/article/410086

Attacking the people that are risking it all trying to help them. The mind boggles.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Newark-Airport-Passenger-Fever-Evaluated-As-If-He-Has-Ebola-University-Hospital-279988202.html

http://www.northjersey.com/news/passenger-at-newark-airport-taken-to-hospital-for-ebola-evaluation-video-1.1114189

A Liberian passenger at Newark Airport is being evaluated for Ebola after screening indicated he was
    "identified as reporting symptoms or having a potential exposure to Ebola"

The man arrived in Newark yesterday, having travelled from Liberia via Brussels.

w3.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/22/ebola-serum-in-weeks-and-west-africa-vaccine-tests-by-january-says-who

WHO aims for Ebola serum in weeks and vaccine tests in Africa by January

Details given of two vaccines being fast-tracked for trial on 20,000 health workers and antibody serum planned for Liberia

The World Health Organisation has announced it hopes to begin testing two experimental Ebola vaccines in west Africa by January and may have a blood serum treatment available for use in Liberia within two weeks.

The UN’s health agency said it aimed to begin testing the two vaccines in the new year on more than 20,000 frontline health care workers and others in west Africa – a bigger rollout than previously envisioned.

Separately, a senior Red Cross official said he was confident the epidemic could be contained within four to six months.

Elhadj As Sy, the secretary general of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, told reporters in Beijing on Wednesday that the outbreak could be contained if there was “good isolation, good treatment of the cases which are confirmed, good dignified and safe burials of deceased people.”

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/world/two-die-in-sierra-leone-riot-sparked-by-ebola-tests/article/410086

Attacking the people that are risking it all trying to help them. The mind boggles.

They're been asked to ignore their cultural practices and follow the advice of strangers. Incidents like this occur a little bit. People have even broken into quarantine to "rescue" their loved ones. They're scared. Many even believe the health workers created the illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,261 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Unfortunately you're talking about a dirt poor population (really extreme poverty) who are drastically uneducated and deeply religious / superstitious. No scientific thinking or locigal reasoning present here. Hence you get the reactions you are seeing. They can't comprehend what is going on, or at least enough influential people in isolated communities fundamentally misunderstand what is going so that they create the fear that fuels such incidents.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Newark-Airport-Passenger-Fever-Evaluated-As-If-He-Has-Ebola-University-Hospital-279988202.html

http://www.northjersey.com/news/passenger-at-newark-airport-taken-to-hospital-for-ebola-evaluation-video-1.1114189

A Liberian passenger at Newark Airport is being evaluated for Ebola after screening indicated he was

The man arrived in Newark yesterday, having travelled from Liberia via Brussels.

Here's a further report re this incident:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ebola-plane-passenger-hospitalized-after-screening/

Extract:
    Centers for Disease Control and Prevention spokesperson Carol Crawford said the Newark passenger was "identified as reporting symptoms or having a potential exposure to Ebola" during the enhanced screening process for those arriving in the U.S. from the West African nations of Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea.

"(The) CDC or state/local public health officials will contact other passengers on the aircraft should it be determined that there was any risk to the other passengers of exposure to communicable disease," Crawford continued.

The Record newspaper reported that the passenger was on a flight from Liberia that went through Brussels before arriving at Newark Liberty International Airport Tuesday afternoon. The passenger was held briefly at customs at Terminal C at the airport and was then sequestered from the other passengers from the flight, the newspaper reported.

I'm concerned that the situation appears to be that there was a connecting flight at Brussels. I can't find if that was the case or not. As far as I am aware it would be very unusual that all passengers and the same plane would land at Brussels and then head to Newark - In fact I've never heard of that happening.

In which case if there was a risk of communicable disease (which is a possibility of course), then is there any intention to try identify or contact the passengers on the Flight into Brussels. It's not clarified in the above report or in others I've seen.

Nurse Nina is looking well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Turtwig wrote: »
    No they aren't.

Only in the severe stages of infection does it actually appear plausible. That's the key word plausible. There's lab trials that appear to suggest it's not improbable but there's no actual case files to suggest it happens.

To use the analogy of super heated water. In a lab it can be shown that microwaved water can explode in your face. In reality, no such thing has ever happened to anyone who microwaved water - the conditions have never been that exact.

From the CDC

Ebola has been detected in blood and many body fluids. Body fluids include saliva, mucus, vomit, feces, sweat, tears, breast milk, urine, and semen.

You said yourself, it's plausible. Maybe unlikely but the fact is, no one knows for sure so it's probably best to err on the side of caution.

Nurse Nina is looking well :)

That video is several days old now. It was filmed before she was transferred to Emory. Her condition was actually reported as improved from fair to good yesterday so that's good news.

• Advertisement

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    From the CDC

Ebola has been detected in blood and many body fluids. Body fluids include saliva, mucus, vomit, feces, sweat, tears, breast milk, urine, and semen.

That video is several days old now. It was filmed before she was transferred to Emory. Her condition was actually reported as improved from fair to good yesterday so that's good news.

I'm not sure that the recording and broadcasting of the short video is entirely ethical in the circumstances - particularly tagging her as a "Volunteer" could be construed as those responsible attempting to distance themselves from liability for the mistakes made in Dallas.

I expect the concept of "volenti non fit injuria" is one of the suggestions put forward by Lawyers as a potential defence to a law suit, should one be taken against the Hospital/State.

Of course it is possible she did volunteer, but I'm going to remain sceptical until she has confirmed such once she has recovered, and isn't most likely medicated to some degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Of course it is possible she did volunteer, but I'm going to remain sceptical until she has confirmed such once she has recovered, and isn't most likely medicated to some degree.

In the meantime the rest of use are going to assume she was not coerced and that she is not being kept medicated to keep her quiet.

Beano wrote: »
    In the meantime the rest of use are going to assume she was not coerced and that she is not being kept medicated to keep her quiet.

Thanks for the response. It's better now we have a designated spokesperson for everyone (apart from me). It'll save me time responding to all posters separately.

I'm not sure that the recording and broadcasting of the short video is entirely ethical in the circumstances - particularly tagging her as a "Volunteer" could be construed as those responsible attempting to distance themselves from liability for the mistakes made in Dallas.

I expect the concept of "volenti non fit injuria" is one of the suggestions put forward by Lawyers as a potential defence to a law suit, should one be taken against the Hospital/State.

Interesting, I hadn't noticed they said volunteer. I'm sure that this hospital will be facing multiple law suits.

The other day there was an 'Ebola scare' at the Pentagon after someone vomited and said they had been to Africa. A hospital refused to admit the patient. I can see this happening more frequently. In the US, hospitals are a money making business and a lot of them probably won't want to take the risk of facing a huge lawsuit. Screw helping people!

I notice there have been no updates on her colleague, Amber Vinson. Apparently she already had jaundice when she was admitted to hospital so it seems like her infection was a lot more advanced.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Interesting, I hadn't noticed they said volunteer. I'm sure that this hospital will be facing multiple law suits.

The other day there was an 'Ebola scare' at the Pentagon after someone vomited and said they had been to Africa. A hospital refused to admit the patient. I can see this happening more frequently. In the US, hospitals are a business and a lot of them probably won't want to take the risk of facing a huge lawsuit.

I notice there have been no updates on her colleague, Amber Vinson. Apparently she already had jaundice when she was admitted to hospital so it seems like her infection was a lot more advanced.

And of course the other-side of it is that a Hospital could more easily be found to be at fault if they don't have the facilities to comply with (the now stricter) CDC guidelines for treatment, and nevertheless admit a patient and some-one else catches the Virus as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Thanks for the response. It's better now we have a designated spokesperson for everyone (apart from me). It'll save me time responding to all posters separately.

I'm the official spokesperson for People With Their Own Screwdrivers.

Separately, a senior Red Cross official said he was confident the epidemic could be contained within four to six months.

No comment on this? Isn't this great news?
    Jaysus last week Africa was "lost" and "humanity was at stake"!
    We've turned a corner for sure.

No comment on this? Isn't this great news?
    Jaysus last week Africa was "lost" and "humanity was at stake"!
    We've turned a corner for sure.

The full quote is
    BEIJING -- A top Red Cross official says he is confident the Ebola epidemic can be contained within four to six months.

The secretary general of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, Elhadj As Sy, told a news conference in Beijing on Wednesday that the time frame is possible if there is "good isolation, good treatment of the cases which are confirmed, good dignified and safe burials of deceased people."

We already know that there is nowhere near enough beds treat people and it gets harder with each doubling of cases. So it still depends on a huge amount of effort and aid. Would be great if it could be done but forgive me for being sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

We haven't turned a corner.

Those three countries are still experiencing outbreaks beyond anyone's control. The Red Cross guy said it COULD be contained IF. . . In other words it's conditional on many things happening. I have the same confidence it can be contained but only if pragmatic results start happening. Lots of practices and habits have to change. That may or not yet happen. HIV is still rampant in parts of Africa, so too are the myths about it - practices and habits aren't always easy to change. Ebola treatment and containment still has a long long way to go.

• Advertisement

This is a talk given recently by Dr Michael. Osterholm, the director of the Center for Infectious Diseases Research and Policy. It's 20 mins long but I thought it was a good, reasoned approach to the ebola problem. Basically he is saying that lying to people or downplaying things so as not to cause fear, is going to cause more fear than just admitting that they don't know. Talking about these things isn't fear mongering, it's being realistic about the problem.

http://youtu.be/UkMKUa0sxBQ

Advertisement