Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sonos Playbar

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Etnies

I'm sure people will be queuing up to buy this...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Is this model made of gold

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

To be fair, Sonos' gear is absolutely incredible, if you want to pay for it. You just plug it in, connect to it with your smartphone and it practically configures itself. Streams any music you own or any services you're using. Can set up for multiple rooms, can have your music follow you around the house, etc, it's rather splendid.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Seeing (or rather hearing) is believing on this one folks.

It's not for everyone sure, but it's a petty cool piece of kit if you're into this kind of stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

not a bargain alert

• Advertisement

ShevY wrote: »
    not a bargain alert

It is if you're in the market for one as it's the cheapest you'll find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭str|ct9

not a bargain alert

Is a bargain alert. These products are rarely discounted and 10% off is about as good as you'll get. Discount applies to all their range too. V tempted to pick up another play 3. Sound quality from them is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

I would love to have the disposable cash for one of these!!

Anyone any idea when this argos sale/discount ends?

It might sound great and be worth it's RRP. But 10% off is not a bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

It is for Sonos!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

It might sound great and be worth it's RRP. But 10% off is not a bargain.

To you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

To find a Sonos for anything else than the same price as on their official website is hard, just like it is for apple.

As 10% discount is a bargain alert because that is more than I have seen on Irish websites in a long time.

Sure it does not sound like one of this 19 € instead of 190€ bargains we all are hoping for but for the Sonos it's considered a bargain.

They also have a discount on the Play 3 and 5 (but not on the new Play:1).

The only challenge is that the Playbar is not working with every TV/Receiver out there, so one might need to return it full of disappointment when the TV does not do the right audio throughput from the digital receiver. So make sure that Arnott's return policy covers that if you pick on up.

I love my Sonos systems, well worth the investment if one is enjoying good audio quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

If you miss the Arnotts discount, it's €610 delivered to Ireland from amazon.es

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Shiminay wrote: »
    To be fair, Sonos' gear is absolutely incredible, if you want to pay for it. You just plug it in, connect to it with your smartphone and it practically configures itself. Streams any music you own or any services you're using. Can set up for multiple rooms, can have your music follow you around the house, etc, it's rather splendid.
    Shiminay wrote: »

I have a Sonos setup myself, purchased with vouchers we got when signing up with UPC.. I personally would not have purchased it out of my own money. I do think it is a bit over rated.. It is a sinch to use and the sound is pretty good but it is fairly expensive. Worth looking around for similar products, Bose and Samsung have their own versions out now that have some nice features that the sonos is missing.. There's a few others also, can't remember the name..

For the soundbar, their are better out their for a lot less €€€.. Most now come with bluetooth, nfc etc.. I picked up a used Sony soundbar that works flawlessly with my TV and to me sounds better than the Sonos does..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,119 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

If anyone is, or knows an AXA customer you get 7% off in DID. Just give the number off your car insurance disk at the counter.

Play 1 - €185.07
    Play 3 - €278.07
    Play 5 - €371.07
    Sub or Soundbar - €650.07

If you haven't a play 3, probably the best €278 you could put into a sound system, from time to time do offers with a fee Sonos bridge with the play 3 worth €48 so be on the watch out for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Etnies wrote: »
    I'm sure people will be queuing up to buy this...
    biebiebie wrote: »
    Is this model made of gold
    not a bargain alert

Have any of you actually used a Sonos product? I'm guessing no.

It's a fantastic piece of kit. This and my Apple TV2 are the best tech products I've ever bought. My sonos speaker is worth every penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭collegeme

• Registered Users Posts: 48 westside

i have a sonos 3 - looked at the bose but bose is bluetooth which means you waste the battery on your device as you play the music. with the sonos you can play and then close the app. today thanks to another BA we has Deezer on the go playing everything from one direction to the rolling stones. The iPad app allows queuing and you can steam music, radio on one or multiple device. Ok it is pricey but you pay for what you get. I have one Sonos 3, chance are I will add to this over time. I will say that the sound is great but audiophiles will require better but I am more of a gadget/convenience man to worry about the finer details of the acoustics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,907 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Would love to be able to afford to set up a 5.1 system using the Sonos gear,

Mega expensive though,

As others have said though it is rare to see it discounted.

quarryman wrote: »
    Have any of you actually used a Sonos product? I'm guessing no.

It's a fantastic piece of kit. This and my Apple TV2 are the best tech products I've ever bought. My sonos speaker is worth every penny.

I have used Sonos products. I'm not disputing the quality of the product. I am simply stating 10% off does not fit the definition of a bargain.

Especially if it is available for less, delivered, from an online source like amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

I have used Sonos products. I'm not disputing the quality of the product. I am simply stating 10% off does not fit the definition of a bargain.

Especially if it is available for less, delivered, from an online source like amazon.

ShevY just did a quick scan of your posts and it seems that you haven't posted one single bargain alert since opening your account 6+ years ago

You also need to learn that some people do prefer to buy goods in a bricks and mortar store, and that shipments from Amazon . es would be subject to postage.

If someone posted a macbook with 10% discount that would be a bargain, these products are rarely discounted and if someone is in the market for one of these it's a great opportunity to snag it at under the RRP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I think you need to look up the definition of a bargain : "an advantageous purchase, especially one acquired at less than the usual cost". If the sale price is 10% less than the usual price, then it is a bargain. You are confusing your short-sightedness of your perceived value of the product. This is completely different from declaring that the product is not a bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Been looking for a soundbar for a while now but €600 lids is a good bit over my budget. I did hear a Sonos system on the go in Arnotts recently and have to say that they sound from them is impressive. Where did they come from ? I'd never heard of Sonos till a few months ago and suddenly lots of people are raving about them, are they Japanese or from the US?

Anyway Sonos aside can anyone recommend a decent soundbar that both connects to the Tv but can also play music wirelessly from Spotify on an iPhone ? Also if people has the choice would they go for a soundbar over a traditional amp and receiver connected to some decent bookshelf speakers ? I'm trying to decide which direction I should take, was looking at 2nd hand Onkyo amps on Adverts for around €150-200 and was thinking of matching that with a good set of speakers and Apples Airport express for wireless functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Been looking for a soundbar for a while now but €600 lids is a good bit over my budget. I did hear a Sonos system on the go in Arnotts recently and have to say that they sound from them is impressive. Where did they come from ? I'd never heard of Sonos till a few months ago and suddenly lots of people are raving about them, are they Japanese or from the US?

Anyway Sonos aside can anyone recommend a decent soundbar that both connects to the Tv but can also play music wirelessly from Spotify on an iPhone ? Also if people has the choice would they go for a soundbar over a traditional amp and receiver connected to some decent bookshelf speakers ? I'm trying to decide which direction I should take, was looking at 2nd hand Onkyo amps on Adverts for around €150-200 and was thinking of matching that with a good set of speakers and Apples Airport express for wireless functionality.

Best post over here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=863

I have 5.1 in my main room and a soundbar in the family room.. 5.1 is better obviously but the soundbar is perfect for what it does, far better sound than the TV, no running wires etc.

My advice would be to go for a soundbar thats the same model as ur TV that way they'll work well together, one remote etc. If it has bluetooth you can use spotify etc with it via phone/tablet etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Buy some real 2.0 speakers if you have the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Muahahaha wrote: »

i bought a samsung airtrack hw-f751 just before xmas for just below €600. its the mutts nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks for the advice lads. Just wondering about wifi on soundbars. Is it so the the subwoofer can be placed on the otherside of the room and the sound transfers via wifi to it from the sound bar ? Or is there wifi on them so you can stream music to the soundbar like Airplay ?

At the moment I have an iHome speaker with Airplay and it's great in that it works first time 99% of the time. But I'm looking to upgrade to something that will both connect my tv and to the iPhone via wifi. But from what I can gather wifi on soundbars is so the subwoofer can be located remotely, which kinda seems pointless as it needs a wire to power it regardless.

How to people find streaming music via Bluetootth to them, is it pretty reliable? Does it drain the battery a lot more than wifi ?

• Advertisement

For those of you looking for really helpful, friendly and professional soundbar (and anything TV or HiFi related) advice, can I recommend the Richerounds Forum here on boards:

http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1105

And they're super boardsie-friendly.

Advertisement