Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

positive beginnings

Options
  • 22-03-2014 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

i thought id start a thread for people to share their experiences on all things positive to transpire from an alcohol free life!

Im 31days sober and already have experienced a wealth of positive changes in my life in that short time. I highly recommend exercise! i have been out running nearly everyday and it really feels great,my mental mindset has certainly shifted or at least shifting quickly from a very dogmatic negative one to a can-do,up-beat positive one!

I also passed my driving test which I'm convince was because of a clear head and a more positive mindset:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭souls

Its good to see familiar names pop up again and again on here.. it says to me, that it IS possible to ditch the bottle for good :) if you guys can do it!so can i! stay the course folks everyone deserves a second chance! one day at a time

As a wise person once said "Do or Do not, There is no try."

Ran the cliff walk greystones out to bray this morning. beautiful morning and feeling great afterwards! Time to dig out the paintbrushes and rekindle an old passion.. start what i gave up ten years ago when the bottle took priority!
    good day

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭KeefF

souls wrote: »
    Ran the cliff walk greystones out to bray this morning. beautiful morning and feeling great afterwards! Time to dig out the paintbrushes and rekindle an old passion.. start what i gave up ten years ago when the bottle took priority!
    good day
    Fair play! amazing how one's perspective on things change.

arms,neck legs weary.. the last 2 days I've felt very run down and am very quick tempered and irritable too, i read about the PAWS (post acute withdrawal syndrome) which might be in play here? does this happen to anybody else?i caught myself in work for a split second today saying "i can drink now"! what the **** was that about?and by god i could of if i wanted too! that was scary, but Ive become more aware of my thoughts as of late and was able to address the impulse rationally and calmly.. "no. i don't want to drink" need i continue, i know where it ends.. that was the initial process i believe to relapse so I'm going to be much more in tune with my sobriety.

now il go to sleep grateful that i got through a test today. that i didn't lie down and give up. grateful that today i beat drink. and keep this feeling inside me for tomorrow when il need it to do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 marco2014

SOULS, Well done. I admire you. I have attempted to control m'y alcohol intake for thé past 22 years.I have being drinking heavily on and off since i was 14, i am now willing To admit that i have à problem. Its affecting my life in so many ways and i am very motivated to change for thé sake of my mental and physical health. More importantly my drinking, most of which i do/did at home was in the evening time 5 o clock to 12 o clock/ fall into bed with no recollection.My kids have watched this. I have made a plan to help me, exercice, nutrition, counselling, doctor are part of it. My wife is fully supportive, which i think is vital. I researched and read alot last week about quitting. Two things were very interesting To me. Lglutamine, as a method of reducing cravings and antabuse, as a method of stopping thé internal mental conflict that, i know, from past attempts to quit Will inevitably come. In five or six weeks this horror that i have survived to now will not seem so bad, sure doesnt everyone do it, sure look at my father, drank all his life, happy out etc. Etc.
    Please help, i am open to every word of advice, every opinion, past experience.
    Sober for 2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭enoughalready

Allen Carr's "Easyway to Control Alcohol" - helped me immensely. It's a book available online through bookdepositry who do free postage

http://www.bookdepository.com/Allen-Carrs-Easyway-Control-Alcohol-Allen-Carr/9781848374652

For 6 odd euro it's a steal and really made me see alcohol in a whole different light. Can't recommend it more highly. Good luck on your journey mate.

Hi Marco!thanks for the kind words!"admire" isn't a word I've heard when referring to me since… well.. ever!haha so thanks for that you made my day! i can appreciate that you're going through quite a difficult period right now.. if you scan through this forum along with other sites on dealing with alcohol you will come across great bits of info and tips that might be of help to you!

Im really only in the very early stages myself so for me its all about taking one day at a time,i remember the first week i was very ill physically, my mind was racing and my mood was lousy! so for me initially it was hell on earth (sorry but just been honest) i moved back home to my family,told them everything about the grip drink had on me and i was worried about my health both mentally and physically, and went to 2 AA meetings that week..

since then i can say things have improved greatly!i keep myself active and run everyday!its great i love it!especially when the sun is shinning like it is today!Cant say i know anything about the medication you mentioned. i am however at the stage where i will be organizing a visit to my gp so i will be discussing it then. 'enough already' mentioned allen carrs book,which i ve heard other people mention so i might check that out.!

anyway right now look after yourself and try get plenty of rest!
    best of luck with everything and keep us up to date on here!:)

Tomorrow i turn 30.. and i have to say I'm really looking forward to a new chapter in my life leaving behind a pretty sorrowful and despairing time i spent throughout my 20's.. its quite clear to me now what was really the root of all my woes..and the destruction that alcohol has played in my life but on reflection i can take that time as a real lesson in life..it was a path i had to walk.. to get through..so i could come through the other side.. i have learned greatly from that..

Im now entering uncharted territory regarding my sobriety, and as i take one day at a time. i am really enjoying this process of transformation. discovering more about myself with every sober day is a real satisfying and fulfilling feeling. don't get me wrong its not like everyday is a walk in the park!there are tough days!but hey thats life! having a new found strength to face these days without reaching for a drink is the most rewarding thing!

Happy Birthday Souls (",) ~ hope you have a fabulous year ahead - fair play on your sobriety and all the hard work you have been putting into yourself recently! Wishing you all the very best life has to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 madra_alainn

Hi Souls,

I joined Boards about a week ago and have been hovering around ever since trying to find a thread that is worthy of my first ever Boards comment ;-) and then I saw this one!! First of all WELL DONE on making the decision to quit the booze, it ain't easy but it sure is worth it. My partner gave it up five years ago after many years of pain, destruction and hurt and he has never looked back.

He too began by taking it one day at a time and when we talk about it now we can hardly believe it has been five years already. I used to ask him (stupidly) to promise me he would never drink again and he would say to me that he couldn't make that promise, all he could promise me was that he would not use the drink that day. And now the days have turned into years.

Those few years before he gave it up were heartbreaking for all of us, but stand to remind him of why he can never go back and why working on his sobriety is so important.

Anyways, I'm super proud of him and I'm sure your nearest and dearest are proud of you too Souls, and I wish you a very very happy 30th birthday!!

Thank you madra_alainn, lovely to hear your kind words and appreciate the support :)
    Also chuffed to claim your debut post ;)

just back from glendalough did a 12k loop absolutely cracking day!..

Have a great weekend all! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 madra_alainn

You had an absolute cracker of a day for your birthday alright, and Glendalough rocks!

Quiet symbolic that it was Good Friday today also :-) haha

Best of luck

I've just read that 'relaxation' is pretty key to recovery!!
    i wish someone sent me the memo before i did another 10 k today!! haha

time for herbal tea, and some sitar sounds.

peace

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Bluebluesky

Hi all, I am glad I found this forum. I am in early recovery also. I entered a treatment centre this year to be treated for my alcoholism and it was the best thing I have ever done. I am thrilled to be off it I suffered a relapse that lasted 2 days since and it was just a reminder of the absolute hell that I am now glad to leave behind me. I walk twice a day and attend AA regularly. I am not working at the moment and I love going to the meetings and catching up with new friends and the support they give me. I have had to leave a lot of my mates in the past and that can be really hard as I have known some of them for a long time. There are lonely days but once I keep on track things can only improve. Souls relaxation is key in recovery. I have been unsuccessfully trying to meditate but am still working on it! There are days that are or were especially early on that were hell but for me is it support from people going through the same thing that is key! It's not easy but I am determined to kick this thing for good and am looking forward to a summer free from the booze!

Good for you bluebluesky! Stay the course :) don't let your mind race ahead of itself.. thats one area i focus on everyday.. keep in the now! the 'i won't drink today' mentality goes a long way!keep at the meditation.. I'm not sure if theres a right or wrong way to be honest!haha at least i hope not! i listen to 30 min bites on youtube with my earphones in and concentrate on my breathing. either way i feel better afterwards :)

i here ya on the lonely days..i have no friends left really.. years of self confinement and slavery to the bottle will do that! so in a way dropping the lifestyle was rather easy cause it was just me in the house on my own or me at the bar on my own.. its quite clear now to see booze took away much more than it could ever give, a mantra il never forget.

Anyway keep posting!there's loads of friendly advice and support here! :D
    S

Good for you bluebluesky! Stay the course :) don't let your mind race ahead of itself.. thats one area i focus on everyday.. keep in the now! the 'i won't drink today' mentality goes a long way!keep at the meditation.. I'm not sure if theres a right or wrong way to be honest!haha at least i hope not! i listen to 30 min bites on youtube with my earphones in and concentrate on my breathing. either way i feel better afterwards :)

i here ya on the lonely days..i have no friends left really.. years of self confinement and slavery to the bottle will do that! so in a way dropping the lifestyle was rather easy cause it was just me in the house on my own or me at the bar on my own.. its quite clear now to see booze took away much more than it could ever give, a mantra il never forget.

Anyway keep posting!there's loads of friendly advice and support here! :D
    S

Hi Souls,

Thanks a million, yeah the keep it in the day is the only way for me at the moment. Ah the racing mind :), try9ing to slow it down is a bit of a killer! I am also listening to some Youtube stuff and it really does help when I am trying to unwind after the day. The friends thing is really hard, as I was saying I seem to spend a lot of time on my own. I live by the sea and love to walk the beach and nature is nurture and all that but maybe making new friends will come in time. In regards to the boozing your dead right, in the end it gave me absolutely nothing but absolute fear and loneliness. Will keep posting for sure and thanks so much for your response. Blue :)

keeping an eye on the relapse thread today.. and drawing inner strength. learning coping skills to deal with life issues without the crutch of drink is now apon me.. 63 days in and i knew i wasn't gonna avoid it forever,just cause I'm getting better just a little bit day by day doesn't mean the world has stopped spinning. today was tough,but a day i took the full brunt of without drinking myself unconscious. physically i never been as in as good as shape as now,but mentally and emotionally I've a long way to go..maybe today was the start of that healing process,grateful for that. grateful to finish day 63.. success :)

Hi Souls,

I just read your post and wanted to check in. Firstly I hope your ok you sound a little down tonight? 63 days is amazing!!! You are doing so well. Can I ask Yu of you attend any AA group of life ring? IMO it's always nice to keep in touch with some kind of support group even if Yu are not fully into it. On tough days a cup of tea and some human connection is always welcoming. In saying that you are doing great and well done on day 63! I for one and pleased as hell for you!

Blue

Thanks Blue. Im just finding my feet when it comes to dealing with life issues. honestly I've drank my entire adult life so this is whack of reality is coming in fast and furious.. but I'm feeling rejuvenated today,a good nights sleep helped so much :)

I went to AA the first week i stopped, but haven't been back since.. Not for any reason in particular. just for me, not the right fit..its kinda hard to explain..maybe il go when i reach a different stage in my sobriety,but today its not for me so thats as far as i look ahead.

Hope your doing alright!?stay the course..i for one wouldn't change it for the world..The good days far outweigh the bad :)

• Advertisement

Hey! I know what you mean I am the exact same, I am 34 years old and have drank heavily for about 15 if not more, kinda frightening and sobriety is like a bit of a kick in the face if I am honest! I can deal with it :), I had 2 job interviews today, I hardly slept at all last night with the worry bur the first one went well and they cam back to me this evening to say I wasn't suited. TBH the location and the role did nothing for me. I will have to wait till next week for word on the other one! I would love to get it! What's for me won't pass me and all that. So pretty stressful day but yet again am glad to be sitting here sober talking about it and not out of my mind drunk somewhere!

Sorry I didn't mean to be an AA pusher lol! I go to a small meeting where I am from and I have kinda grown to love all the different characters in my small meeting.

I agree tough days are few and far between in comparison to the hell of the endless mess of my alcoholic life. Onwards and upwards. My main worry right now is what to watch, I need to get my teeth into a good TV series or movie and am stuck! Suggesti9ns welcome

Thanks for the link btw 'enoughalready'. made that purchase (allen cards book)this morning!ive heard good reports so il give it a read!how are you getting on?well done on dumping the booze that was in the house,kinda like getting rid of the safety net!my family got rid of all the booze in the house when i came home out of solidarity! stay the course!

Hey! I know what you mean I am the exact same, I am 34 years old and have drank heavily for about 15 if not more, kinda frightening and sobriety is like a bit of a kick in the face if I am honest! I can deal with it :), I had 2 job interviews today, I hardly slept at all last night with the worry bur the first one went well and they cam back to me this evening to say I wasn't suited. TBH the location and the role did nothing for me. I will have to wait till next week for word on the other one! I would love to get it! What's for me won't pass me and all that. So pretty stressful day but yet again am glad to be sitting here sober talking about it and not out of my mind drunk somewhere!

Sorry I didn't mean to be an AA pusher lol! I go to a small meeting where I am from and I have kinda grown to love all the different characters in my small meeting.

I agree tough days are few and far between in comparison to the hell of the endless mess of my alcoholic life. Onwards and upwards. My main worry right now is what to watch, I need to get my teeth into a good TV series or movie and am stuck! Suggesti9ns welcome

best of luck with the job blue!and if you don't get it don't worry!keep trying. I believe that would only be a positive thing for your recovery! The stress thing is interesting! :O i most certainly haven't mastered dealing with that little chestnut! i have a lot of pent up anger at times,so i might invest in punching bag!haha I'm going to look into different herbal teas which i hear can help.but sometimes i just stop what I'm doing, close my eyes and take a few deep breaths and slow exhales.. works a treat even if i look like a mental patient i couldn't give a monkeys' what other people think!

i don't watch much tv,but i hear ppl at work avidly suggesting various tv series on netflix! haha there's loads! hope you are well!

So glad you bought the Allen Carr book Souls, hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Planning to re-read it soon. I've a few books on the go at present.

All is going great so far, thankfully, managed another AA meeting this evening and was asked to read the promise at the end which I did and I also shared for the first time which was so scary but so rewarding. Also the first time I said out loud that I was an alcoholic to other people. Meetings are powerful - very powerful, can't recommend them more highly. I've only been to 3 but have gained so much from them and phone numbers for support which is great.

I'm going to bed happy and looking forward to my 12hr shift tomorrow in work, knowing I'll be able to handle what comes my way.

"FEEL THE FEAR AND DO IT ANYWAY!"

just a little note to self:

There is no such thing as "just the one".. this is a concept that you cannot comprehend.
    You cannot moderate or control your drinking..no offence buddy but if you were able to i think you would have done it by now!

66 days in, feelin supersonic!
    Abstinence is key.

recommend to a friend :)

best of luck with the job blue!and if you don't get it don't worry!keep trying. I believe that would only be a positive thing for your recovery! The stress thing is interesting! :O i most certainly haven't mastered dealing with that little chestnut! i have a lot of pent up anger at times,so i might invest in punching bag!haha I'm going to look into different herbal teas which i hear can help.but sometimes i just stop what I'm doing, close my eyes and take a few deep breaths and slow exhales.. works a treat even if i look like a mental patient i couldn't give a monkeys' what other people think!

i don't watch much tv,but i hear ppl at work avidly suggesting various tv series on netflix! haha there's loads! hope you are well!

Thanks a million, without work I feel a little aimless!! I will keep U posted! I was only telling someone this week that a punching bags what I need for sure!! Keep at the deepbreathing when necessary!

just a little note to self:

There is no such thing as "just the one".. this is a concept that you cannot comprehend.
    You cannot moderate or control your drinking..no offence buddy but if you were able to i think you would have done it by now!

66 days in, feelin supersonic!
    Abstinence is key.

recommend to a friend :)
    Excellent note to self!! Same here those thoughts cross y mind all the time but not ONCE in the last few years has it ended well. I still miss it sometimes but that is just my crazy brain! Saturday nights are the absolute worst former I would love to have something to do or some sore friends to hang out with nd I am working on that. Sitting in doing nothing gets to me a bit but I am going to go out for a long walk and listen to some tunes. 66 days! You are doing amazing! Maybe I need a hobby :)

Excellent note to self!! Same here those thoughts cross y mind all the time but not ONCE in the last few years has it ended well. I still miss it sometimes but that is just my crazy brain! Saturday nights are the absolute worst former I would love to have something to do or some sore friends to hang out with nd I am working on that. Sitting in doing nothing gets to me a bit but I am going to go out for a long walk and listen to some tunes. 66 days! You are doing amazing! Maybe I need a hobby :)

Don't let your mind romanticize your drinking days..dont lose sight of why you have made the decision to stop.. its only natural i suppose to think like that occasionally, but always keep to the forefront the agony and devastation alcohol has played in your life. although I'm loving this transition and process of development, i don't get complacent! always be mindful and avoid triggers!

as the boys and gals here will preach 'change nothing and nothing changes'
    i have completely changed my daily life activities!
    not saying its easy,in fact it was hell at the start. in the first week or two i would get up and go running if i got a cravings,this was as late as 10/11pm..things have progressed since then but again its not to be complacent! so keep at it blue!just worry about today,meditate,drink some tea. or just go straight to bed! today might be tough but theres always tomorrow! stay the course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭hubba

I'm off it nearly 3 years and I find my daily rhythm has completely changed from my boozing days. I find I wake regularly at the same time and after spending each day out and about with my new activities, find I'm usually knackered by 7 or 8pm and glad to be home and settling in for the night.

Back in the day, I would have started the day tired, would have dragged myself out of bed (not always) struggled through work just waiting for the bell to go so I could have a drink, then stay up all night doing that and repeat the next day. Boring, unproductive, expensive and bad for my health.

Life is a million times better now and I am very happy to put up with the odd comment that I am apparently 'boring' because I don't fancy spending the night in a smelly pub, giving someone else my money so I can be sick the next day. :)

• Advertisement

Don't let your mind romanticize your drinking days..dont lose sight of why you have made the decision to stop.. its only natural i suppose to think like that occasionally, but always keep to the forefront the agony and devastation alcohol has played in your life. although I'm loving this transition and process of development, i don't get complacent! always be mindful and avoid triggers!

as the boys and gals here will preach 'change nothing and nothing changes'
    i have completely changed my daily life activities!
    not saying its easy,in fact it was hell at the start. in the first week or two i would get up and go running if i got a cravings,this was as late as 10/11pm..things have progressed since then but again its not to be complacent! so keep at it blue!just worry about today,meditate,drink some tea. or just go straight to bed! today might be tough but theres always tomorrow! stay the course :)

Yeah euphoric recall plays a bit of a part here I must be honest! I had such a lovely day today, up at 10 walked the beach and went for breakfast. Just enjoyed doing bits and pieces in the afternoon and then met q friend for coffee, felt great all day! I will trade that for a hangover any day of the week thank you very much. What teas did you buy and do you find them an good?
    I am going to go for another stroll shortly and go to my AA meeting, I really like heading to them on a Sunday night it gets me out for a while in the evenings. I moved back to my parents home last year and they are super supportive sometimes to get3 out for a few hours especially on a Sunday evening does me the world of good. AND I have some Easter Egg left. Happy :)

Advertisement