Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any new grants?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

Get your facts right before you start talking about something you don't understand.
    The grants are to help modernise farms so they can meet the future food require ments of the growing world population.
    They are also there to help young farmers get into farming which there is a complete lack of at the minute.
    The grant covers 40% of the cost and the farmer pays the rest (60%).
    Its no gravey train.

very little grown in this country any more. just look where the basic veg; spuds carrots onions originate from....not Ireland thats for sure...

The ordinary worker in Ireland needs a break - Financially .
    I am tired of being screwed by this government to support everybody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

very little grown in this country any more. just look where the basic veg; spuds carrots onions originate from....not Ireland thats for sure...

There is plenty grown in this country but you don't see it.
    Supermarkets just import it because its cheaper and the consumers don't care where there produce cones from aslong as its cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭stop thelights

The Agri industry was worth 10bn to the Irish economy last year. These grants are only for farmers expanding going forward to 2020, therefore it's the PROFITABLE farms who get a little helping hand but in the long terms the government will have the money back through increase in tax take as these farms will have increase in turn over.

Farmers spend money locally so everyone benefits!! Unlike paying someone to sit on the hole for lives!!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

Excuse me? There is plenty of vegetables been grown in this country.
    Most spuds and carrots are produced here in this country.
    Supermarkets reject onions grown here a lot of the time because their skin isn't golden enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭epfff

You really know your stuff
    We produce enough food to feed 35 million people
    suppose that's not that much
    You also fail to mention the grants aids breaks that multinationals get to employ people with all profits leaving the country with them if anyone offers better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

The ordinary worker in Ireland

Doesn't work 7 days a week all year round.

Doesn't work 7 days a week all year round.
    No. The ordinary man works up to 5 days a week to support his/her own family and those of the unemployed and to prop up failed business'. I'm sure no farmers wives shop in Lidl, Aldi, Tesco, etc.....

No. The ordinary man works up to 5 days a week to support his/her own family and those of the unemployed and to prop up failed business'. I'm sure no farmers wives shop in Lidl, Aldi, Tesco, etc.....

Is there a point to that statement? If there is, I must be missing it.

Please enlightin us all as to how you think the Irish farmers are rolling in it?
    If you pay attention to any news or papers you will see the suckler farmers in this country are having a tough time making money. As the factory's won't take the cattle farmers were asked to supply?
    If all these farmers left the land what would happen the land and how would the farmer and his family survive?
    Thus grants are there to give farmers a helping hand so they can carry more stock and produce it cheaper so it keeps you the consumer happy.
    Farmers are the only thing keeping this country going at the minute.
    Please educate yourself before you make remarks on an industry you don't fully understand only what you think you know

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭cristeoir

So how many days a week do you work Maryanne? And I can tell you if your attitude here is anything to go by its not a bit of wonder your poor father is in his grave!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

epfff wrote: »
    You really know your stuff
    We produce enough food to feed 35 million people
    suppose that's not that much
    You also fail to mention the grants aids breaks that multinationals get to employ people with all profits leaving the country with them if anyone offers better

If you are producing that much food, surely your income off that much food production would keep you going without grants of 40%

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

If you are producing that much food, surely your income off that much food production would keep you going without grants of 40%

No, because we get **** all for what we produce so you can have cheap food..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Please enlightin us all as to how you think the Irish farmers are rolling in it?
    If you pay attention to any news or papers you will see the suckler farmers in this country are having a tough time making money. As the factory's won't take the cattle farmers were asked to supply?
    If all these farmers left the land what would happen the land and how would the farmer and his family survive?
    Thus grants are there to give farmers a helping hand so they can carry more stock and produce it cheaper so it keeps you the consumer happy.
    Farmers are the only thing keeping this country going at the minute.
    Please educate yourself before you make remarks on an industry you don't fully understand only what you think you know

+1 Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Saying you come from a farming background doesn't really mean much. A local farmer asked me to control some vermin which would have an effect on his sheep, which I duly did. During that process his daughter gave out reams to me for it.

I sent her home to her parents, told her to ask where the money came from to send her to school, feed, and clothe her, and who asked me to do the job in the first place.

She got lit at home, didn't have the nerve to apologise to my face, went to my parents house instead.

She comes from a farm too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

Why not??What a silly comment... Most farmers partners also are in full time employment because even with SFP it isn't enough to keep there family going.

Damo810 wrote: »
    No, because we get **** all for what we produce so you can have cheap food..

Then WHY grow it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Then WHY grow it?

To draw the grants I suppose

Then WHY grow it?

Because people like you don't understand how hard it is to make cheap food.
    If you want to go on a rant about grants get onto all the people on the dole. There will be even more if all the farmers went on it and food will be a hell of a lot dearer too.

Because people like you don't understand how hard it is to make cheap food.
    If you want to go on a rant about grants get onto all the people on the dole. There will be even more if all the farmers went on it and food will be a hell of a lot dearer too.

Is it possible to grow a crop and make a profit from it? This is a genuine question. How many acres of any crop would you need to grow to reach a break even point, taking potatoes and wheat as examples?

Is it possible to grow a crop and make a profit from it? This is a genuine question. How many acres of any crop would you need to grow to reach a break even point, taking potatoes and wheat as examples?

Not my area of expertise. I'm a dairy man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

Ah, the poor, poor farmers. Now they've sold all their road frontage to support the bungalow blitz, they want the hard working tax payer to supply him/her the equipment to run his/her business. Lads, it ye can't make it pay, get out. Thats what other private business have to do.

Just for the record as you seem to think only farmers get grants?? Every business is entitled to grands be they farming or non farming.
    Here are some examples

Ida business expansion and set up grants available to industry

Leader funding available to new local businesses.

Research grants and tax breaks available to multinationals

These are just a few examples you really need to educate yourself before making wild statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Then WHY grow it?

My last comment was just a joke.
    The EU wants food security and are prepare to pay for it.
    There's nearly €2bn euros coming into the country to farmers every year and that's distributed around rural Ireland, for most farmers there is no opportunity to put it in the mattress, so we spend it in the local area, so it keeps small businesses going, some of that is given out in grants but it needs matching funding from our government here, or we won't get it out of Europe,
    No matter what we do, the Irish contribution is going to come back into the Exchequer by way of taxes, so its win/win as the Europe money will be spent in the area.
    We provide the raw material for those €10bn in Exports and save Ireland having to import €4bn worth of food but it can't be done without subsdiation..... sure put 100000 farmers out of business but how many more will you put on the dole

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Maryanne asks questions but fails to answer the many questions put to her here :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

Then WHY grow it?

Probably something to do with feeding people, yano, so they can live. As with supporting ourselves financially. Also theres the pride farmers have in the land, looking after it and in growing food.

You can take the grants off farmers, but rural Ireland as a whole would fall apart without them and the price of produce in supermarkets and shops would skyrocket and it would place huge pressure on Irelands economy given we would have to import food.

The problem is not the grants, but the price we are given for the work we put in, grants are a solution that benefits everbody, but all too often misinformed and uneducated 'townies' like yourself see the words grants and think we're getting it easy, we're not. There isn't a farmer on here that wishes farming could provide the set and secure wage at the end of every week like most other jobs.

There is no answer to that question as supplies and prices fluctuate every year, for example this time last year a box of 8 cauliflowers would get you 14 euro in the wholesale markets.
    This year there is more cauliflower so you'd be lucky to get half that.
    Potatoes is the same, bad conditions last year good price.
    More grown this year+ good conditions for harvesting, less waste, too much supply, **** price. €70 a ton.

Thank you, MicraX. It's very much trial and error. What I don't understand is why someone would work 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year for little or no return. If a farmer does get a grant to upgrade his equipment, is it with the understanding that the farm can be made profitable and therefore no longer needs to be subsidised by the State or EU?
    #SamKade, what questions do you want me to answer? Put them all together and I'll do my best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Maryanne, what industry do you work in?

sheebadog wrote: »
    Maryanne, what industry do you work in?
    NOT farming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

NOT farming!

That's not an answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭epfff

Thank you, MicraX. It's very much trial and error. What I don't understand is why someone would work 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year for little or no return. If a farmer does get a grant to upgrade his equipment, is it with the understanding that the farm can be made profitable and therefore no longer needs to be subsidised by the State or EU?
    #SamKade, what questions do you want me to answer? Put them all together and I'll do my best.

The grants are there to give the consumer cheep secure supply of food without damaging the environment
    So to answer is it possible To produce food profitable in europe
    The answer is yes if the consumer pays for it
    The consumer can get cheaper food from outside europ but most it not produced To near the standard it is produced in EU and it is not a stable supply should their be unrest
    I for one would. Gladly give up my grants if the environment and hormone restrictions on me was the same as the competition and. Outside. EU

P's most consumers. In Ireland unlike France seem to forget what happened in europ after ww2 and I for 1 think is possible it will happen again in my lifetime

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement