Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 brides!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,642 ✭✭✭Milly33

congrats kildareash well done!! must be fantastic to find the one....was it what you had in mind..

Corsage is for the wrist yep think debs, and buttonholes is for the jacket as such you pin it, magnet it whichever you prefer on on the jacket or there abouts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭stickybookmark

nosietoes wrote: »
    Corsages go on the wrist.

Ooohhh. Who wears those???

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭littlenubbin85

Corsages are normally worn by the mother of the bride and the mother of the groom. I'm skipping them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CorkClaire82

Wow it never occurred to me to get these for my mam or his, I don't think we'll bother, I don't particularly like them. Also Mam is doing the flowers so asking her to make her own might be a bit odd :P

This date next month I'll married and hopefully having a savage day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I'm also getting corsages for my sister-in-laws and my niece as well... although my future mum-in-law may end up going for a boutonnière depending on the lengths of her sleeves because she's a little bit short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I haven't seen people wearing corsages at weddings since the early 1990's!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Milly33 wrote:
    congrats kildareash well done!! must be fantastic to find the one....was it what you had in mind..

More or less. It's a style I loved, but didn't think it would suit me, so i was thrilled when it did.
    I was beginning to think "the one" was a made up concept, but when I seen this dress on the hanger I wanted to buy it...I didn't want to take it off and it fit like a glove. I want to go try it on again.
    Best of all, ill be fully kitted out for around the same amount I had budgeted for my dress alone!

I'm not getting corsages for the mam's. I personally think they're a bit of a nuisance. They will have buttoneires like everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

really? I love corsages but then I am obsessed with flowers and I know that my mum anyway wouldn't be keen on putting a pin through her dress.

Same nosietoes. I know my mam would definitely not want to put a pin through her nice expensive new dress. But I don't think she'd fancy a corsage either so its best just to leave it.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Is that the same guy who solemnises ceremonies?! :eek::eek:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

The article on Michael Nugent's blog (here) seems to suggest that it is :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,288 ✭✭✭✭fits

Oh my. !

nosietoes wrote:
    really? I love corsages but then I am obsessed with flowers and I know that my mum anyway wouldn't be keen on putting a pin through her dress.

Never thought of the pin through the dress. I'll leave it up to them whether they want to wear it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jaja321

Totally stuck between two completely different styles of wedding dress. Have pretty much narrowed it down to two dresses, both gorgeous in their own way, but styles are completely different. Anyone any tips on deciding factors?! There is quite a difference in price between them, but it's not unmanageable and I'd probably resell anyway. Any thoughts appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Hmmmm, what about getting opinions from family/friends?
    I found when I was stuck between two dresses, it was easy to decide with my mam/mammy-in-law there to help!

Also, think about what kind of accessories you want to wear with it, what jewellery/veil/headpiece you really like and maybe they'll suit one dress over the other?

18th March today and my big day is 18th April, think I'm going to vomit, hahaha!

My friend is making my bridesmaids dresses as my present and she'll have them completed this weekend. I saw them two weeks ago when they were only tacked together and they looked amazing even then!

Going for my final dress fitting on the 4th and am under strict instructions from my alteration lady to not lose or gain any weight after then :p

Think I'm pretty much sorted for everything else, just have to finalise times with hair and make up people etc.

Paid off our honeymoon on the weekend, my poor OH's credit card nearly went on fire. We're going to Japan, it's somewhere we've always wanted to go and I cannot bloody wait!!!

Same nosietoes. I know my mam would definitely not want to put a pin through her nice expensive new dress. But I don't think she'd fancy a corsage either so its best just to leave it.

Corsages are more old school, and like this work if you don't want to use a pin. I gave the options to the bridesmaids if they wanted bouquets or corsages.. They went with bouquets..

Anywho with the pins, it is great now there are so many options you can get magnets for the buttonholes, different styles or pins ... I was thinking the same with himselfs waistcoat as the pin would prick it as such, I was thinking some like maybe those plastic things you get when you get a new shirt like the plastic things, to put it on that but then mum was saying the magnets work a charm...

Milly33 wrote: »
    Corsages are more old school, and like this work if you don't want to use a pin. I gave the options to the bridesmaids if they wanted bouquets or corsages.. They went with bouquets..

Anywho with the pins, it is great now there are so many options you can get magnets for the buttonholes, different styles or pins ... I was thinking the same with himselfs waistcoat as the pin would prick it as such, I was thinking some like maybe those plastic things you get when you get a new shirt like the plastic things, to put it on that but then mum was saying the magnets work a charm...

Thanks Milly! To be honest I'm not a big fan of corsages anyways so leaving them out isn't a hardship. Himself has decided that he wants pocket squares with no boutonnieres so at least that's one less thing to stress about!

Invites are gone out and beginning to arrive! feels very real now.

I haven't seen people wearing corsages at weddings since the early 1990's!

I've never seen anyone wearing them ...and I've been alot of weddings

• Advertisement

Thanks Milly! To be honest I'm not a big fan of corsages anyways so leaving them out isn't a hardship. Himself has decided that he wants pocket squares with no boutonnieres so at least that's one less thing to stress about!

I like pocket squares too! Seen them at one wedding. Where do you get them, do they come with the suit? Milly great tip about using magnets instead of pins :-)

Its beginning to feel a lot like wait "wedding approaching".. Well done fits it must be fun sending them out and seeing them come back..Mad to get ours out just so it is another thing done seems to be taking ages...

jaja321 wrote: »
    Totally stuck between two completely different styles of wedding dress. Have pretty much narrowed it down to two dresses, both gorgeous in their own way, but styles are completely different. Anyone any tips on deciding factors?! There is quite a difference in price between them, but it's not unmanageable and I'd probably resell anyway. Any thoughts appreciated!

What are the styles and prices? I was stuck between 4 I brought my Mam along to the shops. Tried 1 in the first shop she immediately slammed the first one, the second one she said it was lovely (but cost 3 grand). In the next shop she said that one was 'equally as nice if not nicer than the 3k one' and it was only 1200. In the final shop I had back fat in it coz it was a size too small for me to be honest as soon as I put it back on myself, I knew it was out. So we got the 1200 one. It's A-line with lace sleeves. For me having a sleeve is a must just to make me feel more comfortable about my arms. I was told no photos but I insisted on taking one the 2nd time around and I whatsapped to my sister and she said 'stunning' so that was that! I also got a good few opinions from friends before that (although I wasn't allowed to take photos I found a photo of a model wearing the dress on their website) and they all liked it (photo of my guna attached)

Very nice classic dress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Beautiful dress sticky! I absolutely fell in love with a dress very similar to yours when I was dress shopping. Couldn't wait to try it on. Talk about disappointment! I looked awful in it. I ended buying a dress I never would have picked from the rail but the sales assistant knew her stuff.

What are the styles and prices? I was stuck between 4 I brought my Mam along to the shops. Tried 1 in the first shop she immediately slammed the first one, the second one she said it was lovely (but cost 3 grand). In the next shop she said that one was 'equally as nice if not nicer than the 3k one' and it was only 1200. In the final shop I had back fat in it coz it was a size too small for me to be honest as soon as I put it back on myself, I knew it was out. So we got the 1200 one. It's A-line with lace sleeves. For me having a sleeve is a must just to make me feel more comfortable about my arms. I was told no photos but I insisted on taking one the 2nd time around and I whatsapped to my sister and she said 'stunning' so that was that! I also got a good few opinions from friends before that (although I wasn't allowed to take photos I found a photo of a model wearing the dress on their website) and they all liked it (photo of my guna attached)

I’ve gone shopping twice now, first on my own and then second time around with my mum and bridesmaids. The second time around really helped to narrow it down. Got it down to three on the day, but in thinking about it after I’ve pretty much discounted one of them (which I originally thought I was going to go for).. so now it’s down to 2.

One is more of a boho look.. it has a really lovely fit, is light and comfy, lovely colour., and gorgeous detail on the back.... more of an ethereal look.. wasn’t one I thought was a real contender the first time, but trying it on the second time, I really did think it was a beautiful dress. The other is much more modern.. again a really lovely fit, more fitted than the other but also light and comfy, less of a train too, also lovely detail on the back, its quite a different kind of a dress...classic with a bit of an edge, also probably a bit more va voom! I liked this the first time, and probably liked it more the second time. Everyone loved both dresses. They’ve a lot of similar qualities but couldn’t actually be more different in style. There’s about a grand in the difference in price, so quite a difference, but apparently the more expensive dress has good resell potential.. So I’m trying to essentially decide which look I want to go with on the day. Not allowed take photos either. Kinda thinking I might go back one more time on my own to see which I feel the best in?

Your dress is beautiful, so nice to have it sorted! :)

jaja321 wrote: »
    I’ve gone shopping twice now, first on my own and then second time around with my mum and bridesmaids. The second time around really helped to narrow it down. Got it down to three on the day, but in thinking about it after I’ve pretty much discounted one of them (which I originally thought I was going to go for).. so now it’s down to 2.

One is more of a boho look.. it has a really lovely fit, is light and comfy, lovely colour., and gorgeous detail on the back.... more of an ethereal look.. wasn’t one I thought was a real contender the first time, but trying it on the second time, I really did think it was a beautiful dress. The other is much more modern.. again a really lovely fit, more fitted than the other but also light and comfy, less of a train too, also lovely detail on the back, its quite a different kind of a dress...classic with a bit of an edge, also probably a bit more va voom! I liked this the first time, and probably liked it more the second time. Everyone loved both dresses. They’ve a lot of similar qualities but couldn’t actually be more different in style. There’s about a grand in the difference in price, so quite a difference, but apparently the more expensive dress has good resell potential.. So I’m trying to essentially decide which look I want to go with on the day. Not allowed take photos either. Kinda thinking I might go back one more time on my own to see which I feel the best in?

Your dress is beautiful, so nice to have it sorted! :)

Thanks, oooh that's a tough one - Mum and bridesmaids loved BOTH dresses!! That's no help they should have made a call!!

The obvious choice would be the cheaper one if they're both equally nice. So I'm going to do a 'Monty from Say Yes to the Dress Atlanta' on you now....if today was your wedding day and you were wearing the cheaper dress, would you be thinking about the other one?? That's the question you have to ask yourself. If not, then go for the cheaper one for sure (I wouldn't be letting resale value come into it - dunno how successful most brides are at reselling their dress?)

Oh sticks, your dress is fabulous! I love that style.

someone advised me to make sure I cld sit down in the dress. Obviously hers wasn't very comfy to sit in. My MIL kept making me do squats in the last shop we were in. I looked ridiculous!

Comfort was a big factor in my dress...I have two small kids so I needed something that I cld still semi function as mammy in.

And my other piece of advice is buy the dress that needs the least alteration.

I'm off work for a couple of weeks and I feel like I shld be doing more wedding prep. Need to get the to do list out and see if there is anything left.

Thanks, oooh that's a tough one - Mum and bridesmaids loved BOTH dresses!! That's no help they should have made a call!!

The obvious choice would be the cheaper one if they're both equally nice. So I'm going to do a 'Monty from Say Yes to the Dress Atlanta' on you now....if today was your wedding day and you were wearing the cheaper dress, would you be thinking about the other one?? That's the question you have to ask yourself. If not, then go for the cheaper one for sure (I wouldn't be letting resale value come into it - dunno how successful most brides are at reselling their dress?)

Ha, I know right?!

Hmmm… that’s a good question – I’m not sure that I would actually. I kinda keep thinking about the less expensive dress tbh, but then when I google the other one.. I’m like ooh such a beautiful dress! I’m a disaster :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

The thoughts of shopping for my dress is 'wrecking my head'. Its the 2nd time around for both of us so I am not sure what I want! My sisters have said to leave it another couple of months and we will blitz the shops and see what's out there. I like the tea length but Im not sure if it will do anything for me - only one way to find out - although if I hate it I am really stuck!

Advertisement