Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De'Longhi Magnifica Bean to Cup Espresso/Cappuccino Maker £199

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

stesaurus wrote: »
    I caved and bought the Melitta last night! So any recommendations for a decent bean

Fair play. I hope it's in decent condition.

Cloudpicker's SAM is very decent and is on sale at the moment.

https://cloudpickercoffee.ie/products/sam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭sioda

stesaurus wrote: »
    I caved and bought the Melitta last night! So any recommendations for a decent bean

Head over to the coffee and tea forum great thread there on different roasters, feicin thing has cost me a fortune but could say the same for bargain alerts

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Alan McG

Call me cheap but I buy my stuff from https://www.discountcoffee.ie/

I find even their basic stuff (Saol Caife Temple) very decent quality at a really good price with next day delivery, which is free over €50.

They often have deals (buy 3, get 1 free). I generally get my deliveries 6Kg at a time, that's a lot of coffee to get through!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Bell Lane's Dragonfly Espresso Bean is my current twist

link

Alan McG wrote: »

I find even their basic stuff (Saol Caife Temple) very decent quality at a really good price with next day delivery, which is free over €50.

They often have deals (buy 3, get 1 free). I generally get my deliveries 6Kg at a time, that's a lot of coffee to get through!

Do you buy in 1kg bags ... or go for the smaller bags?
    I find that beans lose flavour as soon as you open the vacuum packs - so always buy in 250g bags

Have 1 of these that defo helps for storage ...
    Coffee Gator

• Advertisement

Alan McG wrote: »

this stuff is actually not bad at all for day to day.

free prime shipping

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07X11WZJZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Alan McG

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Do you buy in 1kg bags ... or go for the smaller bags?
    I find that beans lose flavour as soon as you open the vacuum packs - so always buy in 250g bags

Have 1 of these that defo helps for storage ...
    Coffee Gator

Yeah I buy the kg bags and use a large Kilner jar to store the contents of the open bag in my cupboard
    I store the main bulk of the beans in a dark, unheated room in my house. I've had no significant issues with degradation, but I'm sure some coffee crickets would claim to notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Whole beans freeze very well. I buy kilo bags from discountcoffee.ie and freeze them as soon as they arrive in the sealed bag. When I’m nearly finished one bag I take another out of the freezer and defrost for 24 hours before opening.

I use one of these to store most of the bag at room temp:

Coffeevac 1 lb - The Ultimate Vacuum Sealed Coffee Container, Black Cap & Body https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0046JB136

This is all based on reading far too much about coffee storage on the web and is best practice from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Del007

I thought it's best to keep coffee in the fridge? Is that not the best thing to do?

Del007 wrote: »
    I thought it's best to keep coffee in the fridge? Is that not the best thing to do?

No - bad idea. It will attract condensation in the fridge. Room temp or freezer (for long term storage).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

mcgovern wrote: »

Thanks for sharing, I've had my eye on that for a while, delighted! :D

Just a heads up, the website asks for a UK mainland or Northern Ireland delivery address.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

This should be here tomorrow. Sorry for the dumb question but what is the best way to make a normal coffee?

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭breeno

This should be here tomorrow. Sorry for the dumb question but what is the best way to make a normal coffee?

Probably best to go Americano. Pull a double espresso (60ml) into 120ml of hot water. Can go 90ml on the water if you prefer a stronger taste.

breeno wrote: »
    Probably best to go Americano. Pull a double espresso (60ml) into 120ml of hot water. Can go 90ml on the water if you prefer a stronger taste.

I would go for Cappuccino :) ...

Left Dial @ 9pm - Right Dial @ 3pm

2 x Single OR 1 x Double
    Then froth your milk. If you haven't a frothing jug you should get one.
    Be careful not to burn your milk. Generally hold the bottom of the jug until it becomes too hot to hold!

does anyone know how to remove beans from the top of the delonghi magnifica s.
    the plastic grill (on top where you pour in the beans) seems to be fixed to the machine, thanks.

solved, there are 2 screws in the grill that had to be removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Been experimenting with settings since I've got this machine, which I'm loving. Was watching a video about making espressos recently and they were doing a sugar test. Drop a small bit of sugar on the crema, and a good espresso should hold it for a small period.

Anyone any advice on settings on the Delonghi to pass this test? I'm going to buy fresh beans in 3FE tomorrow and am thinking 9 o clock on left dial and max on right. Should I reduce the number on the hopper to the lowest?

Synode wrote: »
    Been experimenting with settings since I've got this machine, which I'm loving. Was watching a video about making espressos recently and they were doing a sugar test. Drop a small bit of sugar on the crema, and a good espresso should hold it for a small period.

Anyone any advice on settings on the Delonghi to pass this test? I'm going to buy fresh beans in 3FE tomorrow and am thinking 9 o clock on left dial and max on right. Should I reduce the number on the hopper to the lowest?

Good crema is a sign of a good shot. It’s the dissolved CO2 that becomes emulsified during extraction. It actually adds little to the flavour as most of the compounds are quite bitter. The secret to good crema is fresh beans.

There’s not a huge amount of control on a fully auto machine. I dial the left dial at around 10:00 and the right at 2:00 and then adjust the grind size until I approximate a 30 ml/30 second shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭puntypower

Anyone know somebody who fixes these machines? 2800 is talking to me in Morse code. Constantly clicking. The sound is coming from the back of the machine and the used beans light flashes in sequence with the clicking. Fully cleaned out and can't see anything obvious. May turn it off for a day or 2 and turn on again and it'll work then for a few day. Thanks and sorry not a bargain alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,386 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

puntypower wrote: »
    Anyone know somebody who fixes these machines? 2800 is talking to me in Morse code. Constantly clicking. The sound is coming from the back of the machine and the used beans light flashes in sequence with the clicking. Fully cleaned out and can't see anything obvious. May turn it off for a day or 2 and turn on again and it'll work then for a few day. Thanks and sorry not a bargain alert.

Is there a sequence to the flashing lights?

A few months ago mine was flashing at me, I googled the sequence and found the fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭puntypower

No sequence, I know which one you are talking about. It's just the red light going mad at me and clicking. Sounds like it's coming from the back of the machine the opposite side of the water container?? Maybe a sensor or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Any ideas, the door sometimes springs open even though the mechanism looks ok and no dirt. Is there something else to look for.

Appologies if this was answered already

dingding wrote: »
    Any ideas, the door sometimes springs open even though the mechanism looks ok and no dirt. Is there something else to look for.

Appologies if this was answered already

There is definitely a stray coffee bean somewhere in there stopping it closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Can soneone check if the door catch is spring loaded. Mine arent and I think this might be the issue. Perhaps a spring broke or fell out.

Thanks

dingding wrote: »
    Can soneone check if the door catch is spring loaded. Mine arent and I think this might be the issue. Perhaps a spring broke or fell out.

Thanks

It’s not spring loaded but if there is anything sitting behind the drip tray or grounds box then that will prevent it from closing properly. It’s dark in there so you will need to use your phones light or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

stimpson wrote: »
    It’s not spring loaded but if there is anything sitting behind the drip tray or grounds box then that will prevent it from closing properly. It’s dark in there so you will need to use your phones light or something.

Something similar happened to me last week. I solved it by:

1. Check the sensor at the back of the inside of the machine - there's a small rectangular hole that the grounds tray slots into. Use a cotton bud to clean inside the hole.

2. If that doesn't work, try cleaning the side of the infuser (the space between the infuser and the ground tray). If any ground coffee is build up on the side the sensor constantly thinks the tray is full.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭asharkman

puntypower wrote: »

http://www.kenilworthelectrical.ie these guys fixed mine under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

My machine is starting to give trouble

The coffee does not come out the spouts , but ground straight into the black plastic waste tray .

I had a look at the handbook and it says to clean the spouts & the coffee guide by the door . Done both but still not working :(

Anyone else come across this issue?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Have you descaled?

Twice I thought ours had died a death, both times all it needed was a thorough descale.

• Advertisement

pull out your brew unit- is it moving smoothly up and down fully if you try to press it manually?

if not, it can cause all manner of mess internally.

clean/grease videos available online

Advertisement