Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De'Longhi Magnifica Bean to Cup Espresso/Cappuccino Maker £199

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Esse85 wrote: »
    Aldi often does in the specials section.

I'm sure a big sized Tesco would.

I use mine when the right light is on, often go a few days and several coffees later before I descale it.

Thanks very much.

Oh...is the Delonghi descaler, or generic stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Ok.....we have lockdown issues.

My 4200 has decided that it feeds descaled.

Would any shops that are currently open in the Dubkin region have deacaler?

Should I risk using it in the meantime?

Thanks!!

I’ve often used my machine for a few days with The descale light on and never had a problem. This article relates to nespresso machines but shows that you can make your own descaler using lemon juice - might be worth a try.

https://blogs/nespresso-compatible-capsules-news-and-blog/diy-instructions-for-cleaning-and-de-scaling-your-nespresso-machine

almost any small hardware shop will also stock suitable stuff

now the lubricant I find very hard to get, but that's another story

• Registered Users Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭Esse85

Thanks very much.

Oh...is the Delonghi descaler, or generic stuff?

General stuff, called Oust, it's in a blue and red packet.

Looks like Super Value do it too. https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/household-cleaning-miscellaneous-oust-3-sachet-descaler-75-millilitre-/p-1011057002

• Registered Users Posts: 14,743 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we recently used our for about a month with the descale light on - it's based on the number of coffees you've made since the last time it was descaled, and we're in a very soft water area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Just use a bit of regular vinegar instead of the branded descaler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Ordered a bottle of this two weeks ago from Currys as I had the same issue.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/coffee-machines-and-accessories/coffee-accessories/delonghi-dlsc500-descaler-10194526-pdt.html

You get enough to descale 4 times which means it should last ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Ok.....we have lockdown issues.

My 4200 has decided that it feeds descaled.

Would any shops that are currently open in the Dubkin region have deacaler?

Should I risk using it in the meantime?

Thanks!!

You'll get descaler from amazon in 2 days.

I have the same model. I've used it in the past when the light is on and have no descaler and it's been fine. Wouldn't do it for weeks on end now but a few days and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

You'll get descaler from amazon in 2 days.

I have the same model. I've used it in the past when the light is on and have no descaler and it's been fine. Wouldn't do it for weeks on end now but a few days and you'll be fine.
    Yeah, it'll be fine operating for a week or so really, but do tackle it when you can.

But also recommend Oust.. you'll probably get it in your local Centra.(got some in mine recently)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Sub430

OP here, mine is still going strong 6 years on.
    Get yourself a bag of this, works a treat, just dissolve in water.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Citric-Acid-1kg-100-Grade/dp/B00DJI8RA0/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2307E8OFUH58T&dchild=1&keywords=citric+acid&qid=1587719919&sprefix=citric%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Sub430 wrote: »

Same here, citric acid does the job. You can get it in any chemist also.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Some manufacturers recommend lactic acid based descalers, others citric acid based, although there's no obvious reason why one is recommended over the other. DeLonghi recommend the lactic acid based type, make of that what you will, but either will do the job equally as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

Think I'm in trouble with my caffe corso. It's been sounding "weak" lately, intermittently, and pouring the same. Sometimes the coffee comes out in literal drops for what seems like ages and sometime if I'm lucky it just pours as normal.
    The grind catcher is just slushy grinds these days with nearly more water on the bottom of the inside of the machine than in the cup.
    Then I came down to this greeting me this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

kkhornet wrote: »
    Think I'm in trouble with my caffe corso. It's been sounding "weak" lately, intermittently, and pouring the same. Sometimes the coffee comes out in literal drops for what seems like ages and sometime if I'm lucky it just pours as normal.
    The grind catcher is just slushy grinds these days with nearly more water on the bottom of the inside of the machine than in the cup.

Do you descale regularly with DeLonghi descaler?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

stimpson wrote: »
    Do you descale regularly with DeLonghi descaler?

Yeah anytime the light comes on I stick it on a cycle. I've got it about 3.5 years now so it probably needs to be stripped and change seals and regreased I'd imagine.
    I'm great at taking things apart, its putting them back together seems to be a problem ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭jayjbe

Check the oring on the brew unit tamper/plunger. Should be big orange one. If you're getting intermittent issue maybe worn and not seated. I've seen this come off altogether and get dumped with grinds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭bromley52

Can anyone recommend a lubricant for the Delonghi brew unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

bromley52 wrote: »

will def be following any replies to this post.

found some citric acid on amazon recently for any upcoming descales.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intralabs/b/ref=bl_dp_s_web_1750511031?ie=UTF8&node=1750511031&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=Intralabs

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

bromley52 wrote: »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00APYQTPQ/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_i_fVXQEbDFB0X3T

That's what I've been using. Food grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,476 ✭✭✭✭banie01

dos29 wrote: »

+1, food grade Silicon lubricant.
    Many brands and options available but online is probably your best bet.
    A tube will outlast the machine, only a tiny is needed for any servicing.

Similar with descaling. Homestore & more, woodies and most supermarkets carry some form of descaler.
    The HG brand is usually easily available in 500ml bottles.
    Citric acid from the chemist is cheap and easy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bykobap

When descaling machine certain components are not getting the treatment so limescale builds up and clogges them.

Maybe that's way you have overflowing issues.

Try running the machine normally with descaler added to water tank couple of times and leave it for a while before using it again. Coffee has to be added too in order for the machine to run its normal cycle.

To rinse it thoroughly from descaler run a normal coffee making cycle with maximum amount of water for a cup or even better for two cups. Once the coffee making cycle is done you can press-hold the 1 or 2 cup button immediately after and hot water will continue to pour for another 20 seconds thus rinsing it even better.

Mine machine had the same slow pouring issue and it was these components that are not getting the descaling treatment that were the issue. Once you take the machine apart it is apparent that crucial components are bypassed in descaling process. Bad design i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm curious.. how often are people cleaning their machine?

Every weekend - I take out the tray, grounds holder, brewing unit etc.

All are washed in soapy water and rinsed with warm clean water, bar the brewing unit which I just rinse under warm water.

Is this excessive?

Also, have ran regular (when promped) descales since I've got it with Oust, but how often should I be applying lube to the brew unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

When my young lad doesn’t empty water tray and water is just about spilling over or when I see some over spill of coffee has gone green. He is oblivious it needs to be cleaned regularly :)

Basq wrote: »

All are washed in soapy water and rinsed with warm clean water, bar the brewing unit which I just rinse under warm water.

Is this excessive?

Also, have ran regular (when promped) descales since I've got it with Oust, but how often should I be applying lube to the brew unit?

theres a few different takes on the brew unit

one says never soapy water, it takes away the grease

but ive been informed that some of the places that actually service the machines never bother with the lube at all.

id say that if you hit the button to generat hot water into a clean white mug and see flecks in the bottom you might be advised to google a video for taking the brew unit apart and soaking it in very hot water before reassembling.

i leave the lube/no lube debate to the internet (im in the former camp) but when its assembled again you should be able to smoothly draw the pump action fully up and down with your finger.

if its catching or is jerky thats going to affect how it packs the grinds

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Basq wrote: »

Is this excessive?

I'm using my machine a lot since lockdown, 4-5 times a day. I'm cleaning it about once every two weeks at this point, emptying the box as needed and getting an old toothbrush out when the tray is out to clear out any coffee that's on the bottom. There's something a bit off with mine where i get a lot of coffee at the bottom, even the the box isn't full which is why it needs regular attending to.

Three is no real guideline for the lube, i just apply it when I'm cleaning that piece properly.

if you want to go down the lactic acid descaling route (I'm pretty sure that citric is fine although some will vehemently claim that it will dissolve your machine in one go :) )

50ml a time so 20 descales from this - 60p UK a go

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ENZI2EE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71lxKTqHcnL._AC_SS350_.jpg

I only ever greased up the grey box thing inside once and just used a bit of light food oil

I take my brew unit apart for a good clean once or twice a year. It's not that difficult, as long as you make sure to take photos as you go along. You wouldn't believe how cruddy it gets inside, plus it's a good chance to take a good look at the state of the rubber o rings on the piston. I've replaced mine once as they were hardened and covered with coffee deposits. Sometimes also the little crema valve gets clogged up too, which you can also replace quite easily. You can get service kits with the o rings and silicone grease from a few places, mainly German sites. I got mine from komtra.de. Another thing that I do now and then is to run a cleaning tablet through it which cleans out parts of the machine the descaling procedure doesn't really touch. Puli kaffee is the make.

jayjbe wrote: »
    Check the oring on the brew unit tamper/plunger. Should be big orange one. If you're getting intermittent issue maybe worn and not seated. I've seen this come off altogether and get dumped with grinds.
    Yes, they can go quite hard and can break after a few years constant use. apart from getting coated in coffee deposits and not sealing properly. There's 3, one on the stationary part where the hot water comes from, and two on the plunger/piston inside the removable part and they all need replacing now and then. It's easy enough to do with the right instructions.

If you speak German, take a look at https://komtra.de/delonghi-reparaturanleitung-kaffeevollautomaten.html, or use Chrome auto-translate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

glasso wrote: »

Yeah I gave in and got a new brew unit about a year ago - £32 I think including delivery - I had a good 5 years out of the old one so figured getting a new one instead of just trying to lube the old one wasn't the worst investment!

Advertisement