Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

De'Longhi Magnifica Bean to Cup Espresso/Cappuccino Maker £199

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

There is a veritable ton of these available at the moment on Amazon Warehouse for a great price, presumably Prime Day buyers remorse returns - lots are marked as "Good" or "As New".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

glasso wrote: »
    don't get too excited. they just send you a couple/three bags of bang-average-to-bad coffee beans and a descaler sachet.

by the way citric acid powder (10g for a water tank dissolved in warm water) is the easiest and cheapest safe option to use.

Don’t use citric acid in these. It will descale it but will also eat the seals in the machine over time. Use the De’Longhi ecodecalk. It’s a tenner a bottle in DID and will last a year. Considering the replacement cost of the machines it’s worth spending the few Bob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

Orebro wrote: »
    There is a veritable ton of these available at the moment on Amazon Warehouse for a great price, presumably Prime Day buyers remorse returns - lots are marked as "Good" or "As New".

Has anyone bought one of these warehouse ones? Were they ok? I think i will next month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I use this coffee from Amazon. Does a really nice brew.

Amorcaffe Intenso Taste Coffee... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07P91JGG6?

stimpson wrote: »
    Don’t use citric acid in these. It will descale it but will also eat the seals in the machine over time. Use the De’Longhi ecodecalk. It’s a tenner a bottle in DID and will last a year. Considering the replacement cost of the machines it’s worth spending the few Bob.

citric acid is pretty mild.

I've been using it for 3 years and no issue. people on forums using it for longer. have not seen one report of anyone blaming it for ruining their machine.

you can buy that stuff I'll use the citric acid (1 to 2 tablespoons per litre). each to their own!

• Advertisement

https://www.descaler.co.uk/articles/difference-lactic-citric-acid/
    Why do some manufacturers then recommend lactic acid while others recommend citric acid?

Previously nearly all manufacturers advised a descaling agent based on citric acid. The reason for this is simple: it dissolves the lime better and therefore less active ingredients are required for a bottle of descaler. In addition, the raw materials for citric acid are cheaper to buy. So we think it mainly was the choice of our suppliers who could deliver this product cheaper than lactic acid. Nowadays, manufacturers are moving from citric acid to lactic acid. The reason being the sheer fact that they first recommended citric acid and now lactic acid for the same machines now indicates that it does not matter very much in essence.

That is a website that sells descaler, and they provide no evidence for their opinion. There could be good reason for manufacturers to move from citric acid to lactic acid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

stimpson wrote:
    That is a website that sells descaler, and they provide no evidence for their opinion. There could be good reason for manufacturers to move from citric acid to lactic acid.

Tbf they sell the oem stuff in the main as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

McSween wrote: »
    Has anyone bought one of these warehouse ones? Were they ok? I think i will next month.

I got mine 'like new' from the warehouse. It was perfect. I have it two years now and it's never let me down.

if they were worried about selling descaler they would be against citrid acid as it costs fcuk all so your point makes zero sense.

• Advertisement

A quick google shows that citric acid can cause pitting in aluminium boilers. The consensus seems to be that lactic acid is less corrosive and a commercial descaling product will contain corrosion inhibitors that you won’t get with a simple citric acid solution.

Knowing that it could be €300 to replace the machine, I don’t mind spending a tenner a year in descaler. If you want to use citric acid them good luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,791 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I used the extra descaler they sent me for free when registering with DeLonghi years ago. Since then I have just ingnored the descaling warning. Must be at least a year, maybe two now. Machine is still making fine coffee. I reckon the descaling warning is just built in to come on after a certain time period. We've always had soft water here in Lucan, so lime scale was probably never an issue. Don't pay for stuff you don't need, folks. That said, Lucan was recently changed over to the Leixlip Liffey hard water supply so I don't know how long this bliss will last :(

if you're in a soft water area doesn't matter too much.

the machine measures by cups made according to the water hardness setting put entered.

the fact that the manufacturers had citric acid as the descaler for the very same magnificia machine is good enough for me.

lactic acid has the benefit of allowing the manufacturers to charge more as it's not a readily available product like citric acid.

lactic acid has the benefit of allowing the manufacturers to charge more as it's not a readily available product like citric acid.

Ahem...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lactic-Acid-80-Standard-1Kg/dp/B00ENZI2EE

yes. citric acid costs about a 1/10th of that and you can buy it in Tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

some milks don't froth as well as others, regardless of the dates on the milk.. (always using fresh milk)

what are people using ? im not referring to over heating milk as I'm using a separate milk frother that's automatic..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Thanks for the reminder, I need to find out the water hardness in my place, where can I pick up the strips to test it?

yes. citric acid costs about a 1/10th of that and you can buy it in Tesco

Not according to Tesco.ie. It’s only half the price on Amazon.

Regardless, I would have concerns over aluminium corrosion from using citric acid. It will descale for sure, but you don’t know what else it’s going to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Have anither problem with my 2800, the door wont stay closed . Really dont want to have to cart a second one back to argos. Can anyome tell me shoukd there be a spring on the latch keeping the door closed, have it sellotaped at the moment but its not pretty and awkward everytime you clean it.

Not according to Tesco.ie. It’s only half the price on Amazon.

Regardless, I would have concerns over aluminium corrosion from using citric acid. It will descale for sure, but you don’t know what else it’s going to do.

95 cent. enough for 5 descalings

https://www.asiamarket.ie/east-end-citric-acid-100g.html

• Advertisement

So practically the sample cost per gram.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

tototoe wrote: »
    Have anither problem with my 2800, the door wont stay closed . Really dont want to have to cart a second one back to argos. Can anyome tell me shoukd there be a spring on the latch keeping the door closed, have it sellotaped at the moment but its not pretty and awkward everytime you clean it.

I'm having the exact same problem! Just started last week.

tototoe wrote: »

Looks like it might just need a good clean around the infuser unit:

http://www.fixya.com/support/t12245603-delonghi_magnifica_door_won_39_t_stay

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Worked! Huzzah! Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭bromley52

Thanks for the reminder, I need to find out the water hardness in my place, where can I pick up the strips to test it?

I am in Cork city and the water is softer than Kittensoft. West Cork is the same.

So practically the sample cost per gram.

but the concentrations needed are different.

probably get 15 descales from 1kg lactic acid @ 80% concentration

twice that with citric and it's cheaper by at least 50% to buy so 4 times cheaper overall.

but the concentrations needed are different.

probably get 15 descales from 1kg lactic acid @ 80% concentration

twice that with citric and it's cheaper by at least 50% to buy so 4 times cheaper overall.

Looking at the safety data sheets for the generic stuff on descaler.co.uk, they have the same concentration and the lactic version is only 50p dearer.

Looking at the safety data sheets for the generic stuff on descaler.co.uk, they have the same concentration and the lactic version is only 50p dearer.

but it's 1/2 the price on amazon (citric vs lactic) and you said you didn't trust descaler.co.uk before but now you do! :confused:

either option is a lot cheaper than the official product which is just lactic acid and water

but it's 1/2 the price on amazon (citric vs lactic) and you said you didn't trust descaler.co.uk before but now you do! :confused:

I was quoting from the MSDS. I trust those.

You are talking about saving pennies on cleaning a €300 machine and risking corrosion of your boiler.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Kind of worked. Can't find what's pushing it out, if I reseat the tray it stays closed for a while, then pops again. Thanks though, it's slightly better, and spotless.

Advertisement