Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

Garzard wrote: »
    Do we know yet how many they're planning on recruiting?

500 into the RDF.

With 1000 being lost out of the RDF yearly, 500 will only slow the process, although with figures now at about 1600, they should be near to hitting the dedicated mass who won't leave no matter what the Army tries to do to them. Then again, I said that last year when the RDF was about 2500 strong.
    Fitness testing is kicking in this year so even the dedicated few may not have a choice about staying.

And the real bad news is that it looks like they won't even get 500 RDF recruits.... may not even get 250. While medicals and fitness are knocking some, 67% of applicants aren't even showing up for testing. But, if they aren't willing to show up for testing, does the RDF really want to give its few recruit places to people who aren't dedicated.

But the Potential Recruits that they are getting to show up.... they do look the business. Some VERY fit people in there. I had seen recruits in the past you would wonder where the hell they came from and who thought the RDF was a good place for them but the current bunch of potentials look the part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Garzard

Doctor14 wrote: »
    500 into the RDF.

With 1000 being lost out of the RDF yearly, 500 will only slow the process, although with figures now at about 1600, they should be near to hitting the dedicated mass who won't leave no matter what the Army tries to do to them. Then again, I said that last year when the RDF was about 2500 strong.
    Fitness testing is kicking in this year so even the dedicated few may not have a choice about staying.

And the real bad news is that it looks like they won't even get 500 RDF recruits.... may not even get 250. While medicals and fitness are knocking some, 67% of applicants aren't even showing up for testing. But, if they aren't willing to show up for testing, does the RDF really want to give its few recruit places to people who aren't dedicated.

But the Potential Recruits that they are getting to show up.... they do look the business. Some VERY fit people in there. I had seen recruits in the past you would wonder where the hell they came from and who thought the RDF was a good place for them but the current bunch of potentials look the part.

Surprised to hear the test attendance is that low, I've my test tomorrow morning, and was always advised not to get hopes up on being selected due to such high competition. Is there a figure of how many applied?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Surprised to hear the test attendance is that low, I've my test tomorrow morning, and was always advised not to get hopes up on being selected due to such high competition. Is there a figure of how many applied?

Very suprised myself, i've heard that too!

P.S , I also have my test in the morning, best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

I was away at the Brigade shoot last weekend and the Brigade EO told us that as of last Friday week there was 700+ applications for 2 BDE.

Gatzard how did you get on this morning, were you in mckees? Roll on the interviews!

• Advertisement

rizzee wrote: »
    Gatzard how did you get on this morning, were you in mckees? Roll on the interviews!

Had mine in McKee at 9:00 this morning. Fitness test is in the bag anyway! Managed the run and situps fine but still amazed how I passed the pushups. It's thirsty work without any breaks but having a proper breakfast and a day's break beforehand helped hugely. How'd you get on yourself?

I was away at the Brigade shoot last weekend and the Brigade EO told us that as of last Friday week there was 700+ applications for 2 BDE.

700 applicants for 2 Bde,

34% show up = 238
    78% of that pass Physical & Admin tests = 186
    Add in interviews and medicals and you are struggling to get maybe 160.

So maybe 350 by your figures for 2 Bdes and DFTC actually get in compared to 500 advertised for.

Ok, my figures are based on the evidence so far and may not reflect reality everywhere but I still don't think they are going to get near to 500 recruits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Doctor14 wrote: »
    700 applicants for 2 Bde,

34% show up = 238
    78% of that pass Physical & Admin tests = 186
    Add in interviews and medicals and you are struggling to get maybe 160.

Where did you get those percentages?

Had mine in McKee at 9:00 this morning. Fitness test is in the bag anyway! Managed the run and situps fine but still amazed how I passed the pushups. It's thirsty work without any breaks but having a proper breakfast and a day's break beforehand helped hugely. How'd you get on yourself?

Fair play to you! It doesn't matter if you struggled a pass is a pass! Flew through the sit ups and push ups no problem, did the run in 10:34, was happy enough with that. Had it at 11am in McKees so must've just missed you! Best of luck in interview!

Fair play to you! It doesn't matter if you struggled a pass is a pass! Flew through the sit ups and push ups no problem, did the run in 10:34, was happy enough with that. Had it at 11am in McKees so must've just missed you! Best of luck in interview!

Cheers, well done yourself! Struggled a bit with push ups, still, a lot less than previously in the past week while practicing. Chuffed anyway, felt bad though for some of the lads who were knocked out - some looked devastated. Which barracks and section did you apply to by the way?

• Advertisement

Cheers, well done yourself! Struggled a bit with push ups, still, a lot less than previously in the past week while practicing. Chuffed anyway, felt bad though for some of the lads who were knocked out - some looked devastated. Which barracks and section did you apply to by the way?

That's great, will only get better in time too! There was about 10-15 out of 40 odd people in my group that failed, that's all! Applied to McKee , Cavalry RDF , you?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭brennan10

To all those who have passed the prelimenary fitness stage good on you! Had mine last Saturday in McKee and passed. Really enjoyed the experience. Apparently interviews are now due to be held between April 28th - May 2nd in reference to 2Bde. Has anybody any experience regarding the interview stage or advice? I understand question structures will lean towards life experience and leadership qualities prehaps but if anyone has any other insights that would be appreciated....Thanks.

That's great, will only get better in time too! There was about 10-15 out of 40 odd people in my group that failed, that's all! Applied to McKee , Cavalry RDF , you?

Signals in Cathal Brugha. :cool:

I'm also in the same boat, nervous/anxious about questions they will ask etc if anyone could lend a hand?

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Where did you get those percentages?
    Based on a few different tests - as I said, may not be repeated around the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

anybody here apply for the Naval service reserve and got a word back ?

Just said i'd give the thread a quick bump - Does anyone have any information on the interview stage, i.e types of questions asked, what happens on the day etc etc. Only 1-2 weeks ontil they commence. Don't know what to look for, i've been on the RDF page online so just browsing around that but can't find anything of use.

Just want a heads up before I go in really, don't want to be all nervous etc on the day and not know what's going to happen, not used to interviews at all to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭raider848

Just said i'd give the thread a quick bump - Does anyone have any information on the interview stage, i.e types of questions asked, what happens on the day etc etc. Only 1-2 weeks ontil they commence. Don't know what to look for, i've been on the RDF page online so just browsing around that but can't find anything of use.

Just want a heads up before I go in really, don't want to be all nervous etc on the day and not know what's going to happen, not used to interviews at all to be honest.
    probably like a pdf interview to be honest

Could just be my own impatience with everything but they sure are taking their time getting back to us with the next email regarding the interview. Is this because of the waiting process for the vetting forms to go through or has anyone gotten the email yet?

Rizzee I wouldn't have any tips for now as I've yet to do the preparation myself aside from recommending you dress smartly - eg. arrive in a shirt and tie. Even if it's just for the Reserves, it'll show them you're serious about the job. At the very least, from personal experience dressing well for these things greatly helps with your confidence. My brother said when he had his the Air Corps interview a few years ago, many lads arrived in tracksuits and runners, unshaven etc. Doesn't make a good first impression at all.

Unless they're going to putting us through more health and fitness tests on the same day as the interview I wouldn't wear sports gear in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭trellheim

This is the first time ever RDF has been had an interview process so there is no guidance available. That said knowing the history of the DF and the state, and what the different arms do, and why you applied to one rather than the other, know what the rank progression structure is, and what might be expected of a recruit in first 18 months, and how you can contribute to the organization.

• Advertisement

Could just be my own impatience with everything but they sure are taking their time getting back to us with the next email regarding the interview. Is this because of the waiting process for the vetting forms to go through or has anyone gotten the email yet?

Rizzee I wouldn't have any tips for now as I've yet to do the preparation myself aside from recommending you dress smartly - eg. arrive in a shirt and tie. Even if it's just for the Reserves, it'll show them you're serious about the job. At the very least, from personal experience dressing well for these things greatly helps with your confidence. My brother said when he had his the Air Corps interview a few years ago, many lads arrived in tracksuits and runners, unshaven etc. Doesn't make a good first impression at all.

Unless they're going to putting us through more health and fitness tests on the same day as the interview I wouldn't wear sports gear in.

Haven't gotten an email yet myself!

Yeah, I have the slacks and shirt all ready :cool: :pac: I'm sure they'll give us more information in the email, regarding whether there's a medical on the day or not etc.

trellheim wrote: »
    This is the first time ever RDF has been had an interview process so there is no guidance available. That said knowing the history of the DF and the state, and what the different arms do, and why you applied to one rather than the other, know what the rank progression structure is, and what might be expected of a recruit in first 18 months, and how you can contribute to the organization.

Thanks for that, makes sense! :)

Got my email for the interview next week!

Got my email for the interview next week!

Same here, got it for Thursday next week. Thing is though I've college tests the same say worth a considerable percentage of my course. I replied to the email with a request for a date change to either Monday-Wednesday or Friday.

Not sure they'll give it to me though, anyone know how long the interview might take? I've to be in for it at 9:00am and my college tests start at 4:00pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I've heard nothing back so far. Anyone else hear from the 1st Southern Brigade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I haven't even done my fitness test yet,

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭mcko

The amount of people who failed to turn up and those who did then failed the fitness is huge, I would be surprised if they turn anyone away at the interview stage.

Good luck to all those who got this far, anyone going for the NSR if you have any questions then ask.

Same here, got it for Thursday next week. Thing is though I've college tests the same say worth a considerable percentage of my course. I replied to the email with a request for a date change to either Monday-Wednesday or Friday.

Not sure they'll give it to me though, anyone know how long the interview might take? I've to be in for it at 9:00am and my college tests start at 4:00pm.

Is your college near the barracks? I can't imagine the interview delaying you by that long! Tell you what - I've mine Wednesday morning at 9am, i'll get onto you straight away and say what happened in the interview and how long it took etc so you can see if you have to to head to your exam then.

Is your college near the barracks? I can't imagine the interview delaying you by that long! Tell you what - I've mine Wednesday morning at 9am, i'll get onto you straight away and say what happened in the interview and how long it took etc so you can see if you have to to head to your exam then.

Problem's now sorted but thanks a million nevertheless - they got back yesterday and rescheduled my interview for Friday 1st. Pretty decent of 'em. Makes it handy now as I won't have to be preparing for it all week on top of studying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

mcko wrote: »
    The amount of people who failed to turn up and those who did then failed the fitness is huge, I would be surprised if they turn anyone away at the interview stage.

For god sake, how could anyone fail that test?!

• Advertisement

Problem's now sorted but thanks a million nevertheless - they got back yesterday and rescheduled my interview for Friday 1st. Pretty decent of 'em. Makes it handy now as I won't have to be preparing for it all week on top of studying.

No problem at all. Fair play to them, that's great news! The only study i'll be doing is on their website between now and then, will be taking notes!! :o:D

Advertisement