Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reserve Defence Forces Recruitment 2015 **Update!**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

And yes, I had a look in military.ie; no mention of the eyesight requirements of the RDF; just the PDF/Naval Service/Air Corps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Mycroft H wrote: »
    And yes, I had a look in military.ie; no mention of the eyesight requirements of the RDF; just the PDF/Naval Service/Air Corps.

I would imagine it is the same. Why would it not be?

Just heard from a friend who's father who's an officer in the RDF that I may have a chance.

Just heard from a friend who's father who's an officer in the RDF that I may have a chance.

I take it you are ok. The website states not less than 6/18 in each eye....are you not within that limit? I'm not too up on eyesight scales.

6/36 is about twice as bad as the upper limit. :o

• Advertisement

6/36 is about twice as bad as the upper limit. :o

Oh fcuk, sorry dude but I don't see why there would be any difference in eyesight requirements. Don't take my word for it. Fire off an email to the recruitment section or contact them on Facebook.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭goldenshower

Hi guys, as title says I am interesteed in rejoining the RDF(although I left when it was still the FCA). I am coming on 32 in 2 weeks time and currently a full-time student. I served for 2 years and was honourably discharged in 2000 as I could not commit properly to the training due to my work schedule. I won the best recruit award in my regiment(still have the plaque!) I was in an artillery regiment at the time (21st Bty, 8th FAR). I'm just wondering:
    Am I now to old to be even considering rejoining?
    Has the level of professionalism changed dramatically since the reorganisation as there was a lot of wasters when I was there?
    Is there still a superiority complex between the PDF and the RDF(i.e. being called sandbags, etc.)?
    Is there much integration between PDF and RDF?
    How many RDF recruits are they looking for and is there any particular areas they are needing specifically?

P.S. I If anyone could tell me the training nights in Collins Brks I'd be grateful as am in cork

Cheers, Anto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Hi guys, as title says I am interesteed in rejoining the RDF(although I left when it was still the FCA). I am coming on 32 in 2 weeks time and currently a full-time student. I served for 2 years and was honourably discharged in 2000 as I could not commit properly to the training due to my work schedule. I won the best recruit award in my regiment(still have the plaque!) I was in an artillery regiment at the time (21st Bty, 8th FAR). I'm just wondering:
    Am I now to old to be even considering rejoining?
    Has the level of professionalism changed dramatically since the reorganisation as there was a lot of wasters when I was there?
    Is there still a superiority complex between the PDF and the RDF(i.e. being called sandbags, etc.)?
    Is there much integration between PDF and RDF?
    How many RDF recruits are they looking for and is there any particular areas they are needing specifically?

P.S. I If anyone could tell me the training nights in Collins Brks I'd be grateful as am in cork

Cheers, Anto

Am I now to old to be even considering rejoining? No, upper age limit to join is 35

Has the level of professionalism changed dramatically since the reorganisation as there was a lot of wasters when I was there? I can't speak for other units but when I moved from Inf. after 15 odd years to a corp unit I noticed the professionalism has increased 10 fold. Gone are the days of mini fiefdoms, each NCO has been assigned a task, ie Logs, transport, training etc. and is called to task if they are deficient.

Is there still a superiority complex between the PDF and the RDF(i.e. being called sandbags, etc.)? There may have been but not anymore.

Is there much integration between PDF and RDF? Very much so, in my own unit it has got to the stage where a number of RDF pers have been invited on a joint exercise.

How many RDF recruits are they looking for and is there any particular areas they are needing specifically? Not sure at the mo, depends on your civi qualifications

P.S. I If anyone could tell me the training nights in Collins Brks I'd be grateful as am in cork Military.ie is your friend here. Go to the contact us page, there is a number for the barracks and as which nights your requested unit is training.

Hope it helps, I like you rejoined after a number of years. You'll have to do recruit and 3 star training again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Is there still a superiority complex between the PDF and the RDF(i.e. being called sandbags, etc.)? There may have been but not anymore.

There may have been? :D

Nice one lads. Nah I knew about the upper age limit. I just meant would a 32 yr old, married, father of one be sorely out of place alongside spotty teens;-) Don't mind doing recruit training again. TBH I found it fun. Civi training is, I was a bar/restaurant/hotel manager. I'd be a fairly hands on type so was looking at infantry or back to artillery. Not the catering corps!

Anto

• Advertisement

Nice one lads. Nah I knew about the upper age limit. I just meant would a 32 yr old, married, father of one be sorely out of place alongside spotty teens;-) Don't mind doing recruit training again. TBH I found it fun. Civi training is, I was a bar/restaurant/hotel manager. I'd be a fairly hands on type so was looking at infantry or back to artillery. Not the catering corps!

Anto

Im in a similar boat. I was thinking about rejoining. Although I doubt I would be fit enough by the closing date. Something to shoot for for the next recruitment drive though.

I was in Ack Ack for 9 years and got honourably discharged in 2009 when I emmigrated.

I still get to shoot occasionally, but not with a GPMG or a Bofors L70.

+1 Syklops. Had to sell my .223 last year for financial reasons but god how I miss the F.N. and the Steyr :(. Tried ringing barracks and manpower for ages but just been getting the runaround. Tomorrow I suppose.....

Anto

+1 Syklops. Had to sell my .223 last year for financial reasons but god how I miss the F.N. and the Steyr :(. Tried ringing barracks and manpower for ages but just been getting the runaround. Tomorrow I suppose.....

Anto

Im also a bit concerned about standing out like a sore thumb. A hefty 30 year old in the middle of all the 17 year olds...

Know what u'r saying dude. Shure I've totally renovated my own house over last 7 yrs, have an 11 yr old daughter, got married, etc., Could I safely presume that these things are taken into account at the interview stage? TBH, if its anything like going back to college as a mature student(like me) would that not be beneficial as there is a bit of maturity and life experience involved.

Anto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

Anto

There is no infantry unit in Collins anymore so it's off to Limerick if you fancy it. Arty Cav and Engrs I think are the units there now. If you apply for it, the choice is on the application form on where you want to go.

Considering you are now settled down, you would be suited to the RDF more so than someone who is just going into college and might clear off after a short time.

Yes you will be stuck in with some younger than you but you will all be in it together.

Don't expect recruit training to be like what it was before, there is a new syllabus being finalised and your basic 2 weeks to become a 2 star is out the window.

Anyone instructing recruits now firstly has to do an instructors course AFAIK. Basically the standards are being raised across the board, which I hope will get rid of the fat/lazy/wasters/bar stoolers that have plagued the RDF for years!

There is no infantry unit in Collins anymore so it's off to Limerick if you fancy it. Arty Cav and Engrs I think are the units there now. If you apply for it, the choice is on the application form on where you want to go.

Considering you are now settled down, you would be suited to the RDF more so than someone who is just going into college and might clear off after a short time.

Yes you will be stuck in with some younger than you but you will all be in it together.

Don't expect recruit training to be like what it was before, there is a new syllabus being finalised and your basic 2 weeks to become a 2 star is out the window.

Anyone instructing recruits now firstly has to do an instructors course AFAIK. Basically the standards are being raised across the board, which I hope will get rid of the fat/lazy/wasters/bar stoolers that have plagued the RDF for years!

The fitness tests are the start of what appears to be a dramatic overhaul of standards, which I am very pleased about.

You said the 2 basic weeks to become a 2 star are out the window, can you describe what it is being replaced by while remaining OpSec aware?

The question earlier is there still superiority between the PDF and RDF, there was up until when i left and to be honest there always will be until the gap between the PDF and RDF is narrowed in terms of training, fitness and professionalism. A PDF soldier gets his stars after about 2 months of full time training. No wonder there is a bit of superiority when someone in the RDF goes on a 2 week drinking binge and gets their stars at the end of it. Its needed an overhaul for a long time, and it looks like it is finally happening. This is great news for the RDF IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭donegaldude

The time taken and subjects to be covered are going to be extended. That's all I know (publicly anyway).

A PDF man/woman takes 16-18 weeks to get their 2 stars not 2 months.

There will always be a gap between both, but it is up to RDF people to strive to bridge the gap, and the PDF must not mind the gap being closed either!

I hope with the onset of fitness testing for all this year will help weed out the hangers on and mini empire builders but when the standard for passing is so low this year I won't hold my breath.

In short it's up to the leaders to lead from the top down, starting with dress/deportment/fitness/general attitude and working from there. You can't respect someone who is going through you for a short cut over your uniform when they can barely do up their trouser legs/jacket strings.

The time taken and subjects to be covered are going to be extended. That's all I know (publicly anyway).

A PDF man/woman takes 16-18 weeks to get their 2 stars not 2 months.

I couldn't remember exactly how long it was, but that aids my point.

There will always be a gap between both, but it is up to RDF people to strive to bridge the gap, and the PDF must not mind the gap being closed either!

Of course there will be. The Territorial SAS is still made fun of by the real SAS, thats the nature of the beast, but when your average Reserve is on a par fitness and discipline wise as your average regular, there will be a lot more mutual respect.

Thanks Donegaldude. Yeah i was hoping the standards had improved a bit since back in the day. I remember one lad who was 3-4" under the height and all he got told was "shure you'll grow":rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

I know of one guy who left the RDF and rejoined some time later and managed to get his old number recognised and thus re-took his old rank of Corporal and had his PMS updated. Worth considering.

• Advertisement

Go for it. If they won't take you they don't take you but let them make that decision. Give it everything and with a bit of blind luck. If you excuse the pun :)

ruserious wrote: »
    I know of one guy who left the RDF and rejoined some time later and managed to get his old number recognised and thus re-took his old rank of Corporal and had his PMS updated. Worth considering.

You'll probably find that even though HE left the RDF, the cadre kept him on the books for some creative accounting. Recently got to look at my old pers folder and saw 3 different versions of my signature for re-enlistment;)

I'm pretty sure ya can't physically do that, unless he wasn't discharged on the PMS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Wouldnt worry too much bout the age thing. I was 32 when I rejoined.

Just act ur age and not that of those around you and you ll be grand.

I'm pretty sure ya can't physically do that, unless he wasn't discharged on the PMS.

He made an application to the GOC I believe to recognise his prior service. He rejoined as a recruit and a few months later, back to Corporal.

He made an application to the GOC I believe to recognise his prior service. He rejoined as a recruit and a few months later, back to Corporal.

That's odd. We're there no other Cpl's in the unit? PMS wise, there's a lot of messing that would need to be done to let a guy serve on his previous service number. So, he didn't have to re do the PNCO Cse or anything?

Similar to myself then, after a year and a half I was back up to my old rank. Still had to do all the courses and got a new army number.

That's odd. We're there no other Cpl's in the unit? PMS wise, there's a lot of messing that would need to be done to let a guy serve on his previous service number. So, he didn't have to re do the PNCO Cse or anything?

No, he got a new number I believe but got his old service and courses recognised onto his new one.

No, he got a new number I believe but got his old service and courses recognised onto his new one.

Ah ok, that's normal.

It also happens with PDF NCO'S who complete a potential officers course. Since they effectively discharge for the purpose of becoming an officer, they get a new number and file. Effectively, all the things they were qualified in, does not transfer electronically as they are "different people".

• Advertisement

Ah ok, that's normal.

It also happens with PDF NCO'S who complete a potential officers course. Since they effectively discharge for the purpose of becoming an officer, they get a new number and file. Effectively, all the things they were qualified in, does not transfer electronically as they are "different people".

Yep, so anyone rejoining can presumably apply to get previous service and rank recognised? By precedent at least.

Advertisement