Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So if Giant is the Toyota of the bike world what are the others?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭g0g

Canyon / Rose = Skoda?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

cython wrote: »

That Porche bike looks good value, $4500 for an aluminium mountain bike with Alfine.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

g0g wrote: »
    Canyon / Rose = Skoda?

Canyon ( at least) started off with a good brand identity. Skoda had to wait years before gaining some respectability.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Carrera = Dacia

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Jabel

Cube - Opel/VW

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Carrera = Dacia

Was thinking of giving Decathlon's (B'Twin) that aspirational title :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I would say that Boardman = Skoda.

Started off as bit of a cheapskate for miserable people, but not at all bad now with a few high end models bringing some respectability to the range, now popular amongst people with an eye for value, even though they aren't that great value they once were.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭soap1978

felt?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cycleoin86

soap1978 wrote: »
    felt?

There are Felts... (Nissan)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f95-sora-wiggle-exclusive/

And there are FELTS.... (Nissan GT-R)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-da3-2014/

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Woah, the Felt MTBs are seriously nice looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

Clearly people are associating marques based on perceived images, as opposed to technological equivalence.

The reality is that the likes of Specialized, Trek, Giant, etc. - the Fords and Toyotas of the bike world, are producing the most advanced carbon fibre frames.

Meanwhile, former exotic outfits often brand off the peg frames. Some of these frames come from the top tier (Taiwanese and Chinese) manufacturers. Some don't. Sometimes the Ferraris and Lamborghinis of the bike world make their own frames that are lower tech, such as lugged or tube-to-tube construction (e.g. Colnago). Fine frames, no doubt excellent quality, but I suspect these guys can't afford the capital cost of tooling up for monocoque construction.

Saying that, I'd still be delighted to ride a Colnago or a Parlee. What car is Parlee? Tesla? SRT Viper?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cycleoin86

dave2pvd wrote: »
    Clearly people are associating marques based on perceived images, as opposed to technological equivalence.

I certainly am!

dave2pvd wrote: »
    The reality is that the likes of Specialized, Trek, Giant, etc. - the Fords and Toyotas of the bike world, are producing the most advanced carbon fibre frames.

I think the Trek Group could be likened to the VW group insofar as they are involved with various sub companies such as Garry Fisher, Klein etc in the way that VW is associated with Seat, Skoda etc.

Did a quick search there and it seems Giant have had an association with Schwinn and Specialized have had / have an association with Merida.

I'd imagine the reality of the bike industry is similar enough to the motor industry: some factories are producing frames and materials for more than one marque.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Bentini = just a bike, depending on my energy levels, it is an Ariel Atom or its a robin relient!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭531

Ridley=??

Ridley = Subaru (the good ones are very good)

cycleoin86 wrote: »
    Some of you have it right, others not so much :-)

Bianchi - Alpha Romeo
    Trek - Ford
    Trek Concept - Ford Mustang
    Colnago - Ferrari
    Pinarello - maserati
    BH - Seat
    Giant - VW (Deutsch Bank Connection!)
    Specialized - Audi
    Lappiere - Citroen
    Litespeed - Aston Martin
    Planet X - Mercedes
    Ridley - Porsche

What a great discussion!!

One or two wrong there; Pinarello = Lamborghini and De Rosa = Maserati (Maserati make 4 door saloons which are akin to De Rosa's Winter/training bike).

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

A Citroen is no good with a Honda 50 engine, as is the case with me!! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

Viking?

Kellys?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ironlungs

Cube - German engineering at its finest, but without the pretence - Audi

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭letape

Ironlungs wrote: »
    Cube - German engineering at its finest, but without the pretence - Audi

You think Audi doesn't have pretence!?

Audi are just dolled up VWs so must be Ribble (wasn't there a recent post here showing that a Ribble frame was the sameas some cheaper Chinese brand one?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Ironlungs

letape wrote: »
    You think Audi doesn't have pretence!?

Umm, ok so, it probably does, but a lot less so than BMW or Mercedes. Maybe cube is more the Volkswagen of bikes then? Given it's less mainstream roots, I thought Audi resonated. I certainly think my Trek reeks Ford all the way - in a good way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Dinging

Principia = SAAB. Nordic design. Were once fashionable if not a little boring. I have one of each.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭letape

Ironlungs wrote: »
    Umm, ok so, it probably does, but a lot less so than BMW or Mercedes. Maybe cube is more the Volkswagen of bikes then? Given it's less mainstream roots, I thought Audi resonated. I certainly think my Trek reeks Ford all the way - in a good way. :)

I think it's right up there with BMW pretence wise these days; but that's probably a discussion for the motors forum! I know what mean about less mainstream roots though.

I think your right with the VW comparison :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Suppless

BMC = Porsche
    Orbea = Seat
    Look = Citroen
    Time = Ferrari along with Colnago
    Battaglin = Fiat
    Canyon = VW

How about a few model specific examples, I'll go with the ugliest ever bike and car combo

Dedacciai temerario = Pontiac aztec

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭omri

Focus = Skoda / VW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

g0g wrote: »
    Canyon = Skoda?

I thought that too. Getting premium parts used on more expensive marques at a lot less cost.

Eurotrek Boss = SsangYong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Suppless wrote: »
    Look = Citroen

Nah, look isn't citron.

Looks are WAY to mean to be citron. If anything I'd say they're lambos.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Cipollini I would say are lambos. LOOK are more Renaultsport

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Mechanic365

Planet X - Mercedes

So planet x are ridicoulosly expensive and troublesome, ridden by people with their head stuck up their behind!

Planet X is more like mazda, good prices for functional quality products

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Masi = Alfa Romeo
    Jamis = Chevrolet
    Cannondale = Jeep (MTB's) Cryslers (road)
    Eddy Merkx = VW?
    Guru = McLaren
    Cervelo=Porche

Advertisement