Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pulling trailed mower behind a jeep?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

TheClubMan wrote: »
    On the way to work one morning last summer, I came across a transit van towing a square baler on a main road! Surely it can't be legal but if it saves you a few bob...

I was a passenger with the father a couple of years ago when he decided to tow a square baler home behind the jeep . Never again is all I'll say !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

larthehar wrote: »
    g point for the OP is what the unbraked towing capacity of the jeep is , if you go over this and anything goes wrong you may not be insured.
    Thanks for all the replies.. I think that it is safe to safe to say it is within legal limts from a width perspective, within legal weight limits, has working rear lights.

Two issues;

1. Insurance
    Will ring them to check

2. Brakes
    What can I legally pull without trailer brakes?

considering I will be driving to see it I think that if it is the real deal bringing it home with me is a no brainer assuming the two points above are legal..
    Lads here think it's mad but there is a cost saving when you considering viewing it as a sunk cost (unless you want to buy by word!) and you combine transport with this your only costs are the extra diesel having the weight of the mower behind you coming home![/quote]

Fairly certain, and i may be mistaken, but i think the limit for an unbraked trailer in Ireland is 750kg no matter what's pulling it...

And i somehow doubt your insurance are likely to say go ahead to be honest :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Yep 750kg is the unbraked legal limit.

Advertisement