Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pulling trailed mower behind a jeep?

Options
  • 20-03-2014 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Anyone know the legalitys surrounding pulling a trailed mower behind a jeep on the road? Would save on transport costs if it were possible..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Gillespy

That's how my mower was delivered. I guess 60 miles on a Landcruiser. Taarup 338. I would be surprised if it was legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

how wide and how heavy, would be the questions. bring a light board that works, and plan the route as carefully as you can. Pulled a John Deere 3765 harvester from Limerick to Cavan behind a fourtrak once. some frightened looking people in new cars around Glasson , as I Recall.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭larthehar

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    how wide and how heavy, would be the questions. bring a light bird that works, and plan the route as carefully as you can. Pulled a John Deere 3765 harvester from Limerick to Cavan behind a fourtrak once. some frightened looking people in new cars around Glasson , as I Recall.

3m wide (transport width) and 1425kgs in weight... not exactly extortionate.. I think the legal weight is 3.5tons.. brakes are the problem I fear..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

have you a pto on the jeep?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Don't do it. I know sometimes everyone has to bend the rules a little but just think what would happen if some lad comes tearing around a corner and takes the side off it. He's not going to be expecting this thing sticking out the side of your jeep!! Where would you be are regards insurance? It would be a nightmare.

Could you go for it in with the tractor? I think it's either that or get a licenced haulier to bring it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Back in the day I often towed silage trailers and mowers etc behind an old Land Rover. Drum brakes all round.
    Wouldn't do it now though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

And 'back in the day' me oul lad wore short pants and walked in his bear feet to national school!!!!!

Muckit wrote: »
    And 'back in the day' me oul lad wore short pants and walked in his bear feet to national school!!!!!

Yep Muckit agreed.
    But that's when farms of land were bought !!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭agriman27

I don't know what the haulage is going to cost you but it might be a better option for the odds of it if ya meet the wrong guard or have a scrape it could be more costly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

agriman27 wrote: »
    I don't know what the haulage is going to cost you but it might be a better option for the odds of it if ya meet the wrong guard or have a scrape it could be more costly

€0.75 to €1 a KM is what I was quoted about two years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭enricoh

i know a scrap fella who until recently would have the hairiest looking loads on his truck, he was saying that the cops are pulling in anything at all to get a few fines n a few quid in at the minute.
    if u go for it at least get a lend of a beacon n stick it on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Another vote for getting it transported. Big can of worms if anything bad were to happen, or like said if you happen to meet the wrong garda (short, male, looking for advancement).

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bikes

Saw a trooper pulling a slurry tanker last week

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭severeoversteer

saw a hiace pulling a 2000 gallon tank on floatation tyres there a few weeks ago

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

saw a hiace pulling a 2000 gallon tank on floatation tyres there a few weeks ago

That's just taking the piss !!
    :):):)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

A lad near here brought a 1300 tanker from charleville behind a patrol in December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Round Bale

Was it stolen?

Round Bale wrote: »
    Was it stolen?

Who would steal a Hiace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Round Bale

sheebadog wrote: »
    Who would steal a Hiace?

Wasn't talking about the Hiace -:)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭rahin man

Is it a swivel head mower? i.e does it go on the two back arms of the tractor?

If so....i find the bailing cord off the big square bales brilliant..just tie it on to the back of the jeep and let it bounce off the spare wheel..

Seriously though i got a jd1360 with a swivel head delivered from fermanagh to limerick last year for e350. as long as your prepared to wait for a part load on a low loader its worth every penny. watch done deal for lads looking for backloads

• Advertisement

Wasn't talking about the Hiace -:)

The flotation tyres were stolen?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Now the law says that a trailer wider than 2.9m needs abnormal load permits. Now it also states that the "load overhang" cannot be greater than a foot from the side of a vehicle. Now whether a mower counts as a load overhang is another question, one I cannot answer.

This all assumes you've an EB licence. If you for within those dimensions, your grand I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Gman1987

200 euro last year to get a mower brought from Offaly to Tralee last year. You would spend more on Diesel! I just put it up on handyhaulage.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Odelay

bikes wrote: »
    Saw a trooper pulling a slurry tanker last week
    mayota wrote: »
    A lad near here brought a 1300 tanker from charleville behind a patrol in December.

I saw a man shot in reno...... didn't make it legal:D Try a haulier, the right one will do it for less stress and euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Odelay wrote: »
    I saw a man shot in reno...... didn't make it legal:D Try a haulier, the right one will do it for less stress and euros.

It wasn't you that shot him because you wanted to see him die or something was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Was it stolen?

Was thinking the same thing, bit of scrap in that tanker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

A starting point for the OP is what the unbraked towing capacity of the jeep is , if you go over this and anything goes wrong you may not be insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭larthehar

g point for the OP is what the unbraked towing capacity of the jeep is , if you go over this and anything goes wrong you may not be insured.[/quote]
    Thanks for all the replies.. I think that it is safe to safe to say it is within legal limts from a width perspective, within legal weight limits, has working rear lights.

Two issues;

1. Insurance
    Will ring them to check

2. Brakes
    What can I legally pull without trailer brakes?

considering I will be driving to see it I think that if it is the real deal bringing it home with me is a no brainer assuming the two points above are legal..
    Lads here think it's mad but there is a cost saving when you considering viewing it as a sunk cost (unless you want to buy by word!) and you combine transport with this your only costs are the extra diesel having the weight of the mower behind you coming home!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Stick a beacon on yer jeep and a beacon on the mower. That's why Lucey Transport does with all his off loads for Liebherrs! :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭TheClubMan

On the way to work one morning last summer, I came across a transit van towing a square baler on a main road! Surely it can't be legal but if it saves you a few bob...

Advertisement