Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Assassins Creed - Unity

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Video of the glitches is shocking alright but it's worth pointing out that that footage may make it out to be worse than it actually is, as it's compiled from different sources, so I would think that it would be highly unlikely someone would experience that level of a mess in their playthrough?????? ....... I haven't played it though so it could very well be that bad for everyone :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

I guess this is the new trend in AAA games, never buy at launch again :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Is this whole thing being blown out of proportion?

I mean would those glithes still be posible in blag flag if you try hard enough

Im no defender of ubi and ass cred I dont really care about it

But has anybody on here wjth this game expericanced alot of glitches or just one or two here and there??

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

biggebruv wrote: »
    Is this whole thing being blown out of proportion?

I mean would those glithes still be posible in blag flag if you try hard enough

Im no defender of ubi and ass cred I dont really care about it

But has anybody on here wjth this game expericanced alot of glitches or just one or two here and there??

I think it's more so that the glitches are just the cherry on top of the other criticisms facing the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

lwIC5WN.png

Too funny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If it's just cutscenes then there's only a minimal amount of mo-cap to do compared to a full playable character and the AI animation code as well. They could just do the mass effect thing of the same animations for the female as the male but it just looks all kinds of wrong.

I've been glancing through lets plays out of curiosity and I've seen at least 1 mission where she is running/fighting with you. Only thing I havnt seen is her doing any in game climbing so clearly it's much more then just cutscenes. It's at least an entire run/fight mocap done (and not just for her there are female rebels who fight)

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Totalbiscuit isn't a happy man, couldn't even do his normal WTF is video :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Totalbiscuit isn't a happy man, couldn't even do his normal WTF is video :(

F*ck me thats shocking...

These gaming companies don't give a b@llocks about the punters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

**** we are so powerless and can't so anything. A boycott of something like this would never work. Need like a gaming court to approve games before launch. Can only imagine what Far Cry is going to be like

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Soby wrote: »
    **** we are so powerless and can't so anything. A boycott of something like this would never work. Need like a gaming court to approve games before launch. Can only imagine what Far Cry is going to be like

Gaming court, the stuff of dreams.

"Next on the docket, Call Of Du...

"Objection!"

"Sustained."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I didn't care much for Black Flag. It was a good idea but felt as rubbish as AC3 with forgettable environments and some truely awful controls. So I disagree with TB in this one.

The very first AC game promised so much. The world it created is still one of the best. It had great assassination missions (remember assassinations?) but was let down by the rubbish filler. So I was excited by the possibilities of Unity.
    They even acknowledged the ****ty controls and it seemed that finally someone would reign the series in and find what makes it worthwhile.

Such disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Next it will be "We are sorry but Far Cry 4 is only available during office hours , Monday to Friday 9-5. To continue playing outside of office hours please purchase a season pass."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Black Flag was the first Assassins Creed I really enjoyed as a game, plus I quite liked Kenway. So when Unity was announced I was really taken in by the videos and hype, and was -really- looking forward to playing it.

Thankfully I'm sceptical as hell and decided not to pre-order it. My god, these videos are just disastrous and TB is rightfully angry as hell.

I have a few friends who have bought and say that as a game it's a lot a of fun, but the sheer amount of bugs just ruins it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

5uspect wrote: »
    I didn't care much for Black Flag. It was a good idea but felt as rubbish as AC3 with forgettable environments and some truely awful controls. So I disagree with TB in this one.

The very first AC game promised so much. The world it created is still one of the best. It had great assassination missions (remember assassinations?) but was let down by the rubbish filler. So I was excited by the possibilities of Unity.
    They even acknowledged the ****ty controls and it seemed that finally someone would reign the series in and find what makes it worthwhile.

Such disappointment.

Black Flag is my fav AC game since AC2 and probably the best pirate game ever made. I'd grown utterly sick of the series after AC3 so maybe the fact they mixed it up big time helped.

Rogue on the PS3 is mant to be like a sequel to Black Flag so i'll be picking that up next year instead of Unity. And it's not a buggy mess either.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Black Flag is my fav AC game since AC2 and probably the best pirate game ever made. I'd grown utterly sick of the series after AC3 so maybe the fact they mixed it up big time helped.

Rogue on the PS3 is mant to be like a sequel to Black Flag so i'll be picking that up next year instead of Unity. And it's not a buggy mess either.

I would probably have liked it more if it didn't make me want to fling my controller at the screen so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It's okay everyone, Ubi are working on a patch......for the microtransactions :pac::pac::pac:
    we are already looking into many of the other issues you’ve told us about and we have more updates planned. This list doesn’t capture everything, but here are the most widely-reported problems we’ve heard about from you:
    • Frame rate issues.
    • Graphical and collision issues.
    • Matchmaking co-op issues.
    • Helix Credits issues.

I would probably have liked it more if it didn't make me want to fling my controller at the screen so often.

why? were you not good at the game?

And the wolfpack online mode was actually good if you got a good team together.

why? were you not good at the game?

And the wolfpack online mode was actually good if you got a good team together.

Mapping run and climb to the same button does not make for a fun experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭tripperman

i think black flag was great best since ac2, the only thing that i couldnt get the hang of and still dont is trying knock out the forts at sea, could take 7/8 attempts to get it done, online was bad could never get a pack together half way threw and some one would go offline

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Blag Flag was such an improvement to the series its just sad to see Unity's return to blandness. The endless struggle between the Assassin's and Templar's has just gotten so very old at this stage.

Unity while looking great and feeling very alive due to the huge crowds is let down by an awkward and rather basic control system. Ubisoft could of gotten away with having 50% less crowd NPC's and the game would still look awesome but run a hell of alot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Yeah, that's exactly the problem. Mapping run/sprint and "auto-climb" to the same control meant if you're trying to run through a doorway you end up climbing up a wall, or trying to run up steps you end up clambering onto the balustrade. As someone kinda said above, it's like running through a city of velcro, dressed in velcro.

The one that got me too was climbing down. You jump off a building, and land on a fence instead of the ground. You try to drop down, but it won't let you. So you try to jump off, but instead it jumps onto a wall, try to jump off the wall and you jump back onto the fence. Aaaah, I'm a super-nimble, almost indestructible assassin but I can't get down off a fence!

The control system tries so hard to be helpful, it ends up being massively limiting (It's a bit like the old MS Word paperclip gag "Hey, it looks like you're climbing a table". F*** off. "Hey, it looks like you're climbing a chair!" F** off!! "Hey, it looks like you're climbing a foot-stool" I AM NOT CLIMBING A F****** FOOT-STOOL!) :P

On the game itself though, I thought Black Flag was a bit like returning to the original AC, go to a location, look at the map to find several repetitive tasks to do at every location, including finding many chests full of stuff you don't need, loot to buy weapons which don't make that much of a difference. While it added a lot in terms of naval combat, the on-land areas were then weaker, IMO. I think they're missing a trick in not having much better "modern day" sections too - AC2 really set the standard. There's so much potential for Singularity-style gameplay, where altering the past changes the present.

now that you mention it that did annoy me a little. When you let go of the steering wheel on your ship ad try to run down the boat he often climbed and jumped down the cannons which was much slower than running.

But i still loved it and bought the dlc. Loved that too. Also got a good crew to play the online wolfpack the way it's meant to be and that was really fun. Got to the max level 55 in less than a week.

AC1 was new and a great first game. AC2 was perfect. Brotherhood was good. Revelations then was a bit boring and i started getting sick of the series. AC3 felt like a never ending tutorial and was a struggle to finish. If Black flag didn't mix up big time i'd never have played another.

Unity sounds OK but i won't be getting it for a year at least. When it's patched and cheap. But i might get rogue because that's like black flag 2. They have split the fanbase of the series now. A lot prefer the black flag play type of the game while many still want the traditional oldschool AC. Each to their own I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Post on Reddit that sums up my feelings perfectly with this franchise, kinda long but well worth the read.:
    It's so funny, this is exactly what I looked up the AC subreddit to talk about. i'm totally with you guys on this. I seem to remember Patrice Desilets specifically talking about how AC3 was supposed to be mostly a modern day game with Desmond as the main protagonist and the end to the trilogy. That was the original plan for the game and why they ended up having to kill off Kristen Bells character. It's shouldn't come as any surprise that she was only in the first 3 games and then was killed off. I'd bet anything she signed a 3 game contract with Ubi and by AC:Brotherhood, that contract was fulfilled. She probably didn't care to do more and at that point the franchise was so successful, they didn't need to waste money on Hollywood talent to sell games.

However, it really shows how far the game veered off it's original story arch that Patrice had planned out. Ubisoft went from being a moderately well known publisher to one of the top dogs in the industry and it was all thanks to AC. Once they did that, they did what all big companies in the entertainment industry do, they homogenized the **** out of it with their customer surveys.

Now, gone are all the really cool mini puzzles and genuinely interesting stories. I still remember how awesome and oddly kinda creepy the glyph puzzles were in AC2 and how epic that final boss battle was only to leave it on an incredible cliffhanger. There was a level of polish and story direction that the series hasn't seen since then.

With AC:B, I actually think the game itself was a superior overall game than AC2, but you could tell with the story they didn't really know where to go with it. It basically was just a retelling of AC2 and all the end really did was further explain AC2's ending, which kinda midichlorian'd the mystery that AC2's ending left the player with.

AC:R just kinda furthered the "we really don't know where the story is going yet". It was cool revisiting Altair, but the fact that they barely even touched Lucy's death from the previous game save for a couple of lines of dialog when that was supposed to be the biggest cliff-hanger from that game, then that they just threw out the whole "Oh, well she was a Templar traitor the whole time!" excuse for why she needed to be killed..... it was all pretty weak sauce story telling for killing off what was a pretty major character. So much more could have been done with Desmond dealing with her death, ya know, character development and such, but he barely even talks about it in that game. The most damning evidence that the story had lost it's way at this point though is that they went with the most cliche of storytelling tropes when you have no clue where to go with your story..... The dreaded "main character coma" plot. On top of that, AC:R was easily the weakest of the Ezio trilogy game-wise, the Tower Defense experiment was horrendous imo (mostly because I hate TD games) and the bomb crafting was pointless busy work.

I had hopes after AC:R that maybe, just maybe, if AC3 what they had been planning was still in the works, but once it was clear it wasn't going to be a modern day game, that hope faded. I think they clearly tried to work some of it in as this had the most extensive Desmond missions of the whole series and really gave you a taste of how cool a present day AC game would have been in the universe they had set up, but Ubisoft was in full "market research" mode by this point and knew that apparently a majority of people polled didn't like the modern day stuff and just wanted to run around in the past and kill ****. There's no chance what we got in AC3 was the anything remotely close to the original vision for the ending of the AC "trilogy".

It was no surprise by Black Flag that they had started to relegate the modern day aspect to the background with a majority of it being entirely skippable if the player so chooses. As much as I loved Black Flag from a pure game standpoint, probably the best in the franchise next to AC2 and AC:B, they completely ruined all of the intrigue and mystery the modern day portions had. The Animus went from being the cool and dangerous piece of technology to basically being just a normal desktop computer. I absolutely HATED how meta that ****ing game got and how cute the writers thought they were being by having you be a "developer" at a game studio. Abstergo went from being this dark and sinister company to being a ****ing game studio. They still mention Abstergo having their hands other companies around the world, but from the players point of view, we're inundated with fake "Abstergo Entertainment" ads that totally takes any of the threat out of the company that's supposed to be the main villain of the series. It's like Darth Vader wore a pink tutu around his waste. Even if he had the exact same helmet and armor on, with that tutu around his waste, he loses all credibility. Seeing as this is the internet where everything exists, here's a visual example of my analogy.....

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WTo8tG0u5jU/Uazhgk9OQsI/AAAAAAABBb4/IK3HYHW7rZw/s1600/Allie+Vader2.jpg

Now with AC Unity, I've gone through a decent chunk of the game and seen two present day.... cutscenes. Combined lasting all of maybe 3 minutes. While I'm certainly not done with the game, from what I've heard, I have my expectations very VERY low for this improving later on.

At this point now, I'm actually totally lost with what the present day plot is. I just barely remember what a Sage is from AC:BF and I certainly don't remember why they're so important and why Abstergo needs them.

Gameplay wise, AC:Unity feels like one step forward and about 3 steps back. I love the downwards parkour, but the controls still have a tendency to be a little clunky. Oddly enough, climbing upwards seems harder than I remember from previous installments. I do enjoy the back to basics with "less rules" for Assassinations a la AC1 and generally harder fights, but some of the ways the made the fights harder are just cheap. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen any way to use a enemy body as a bullet guard when an enemy is targeting you with a gun like you could in AC3 and BF. If you're trying to fight a big group, if two guys pull out guns, you're basically dead. I guess it's they're way of trying to dissuade the player from getting into huge one on 20 conflicts and be more stealth oriented, but it's made trying to fight your way out of things feel overly restrictive. And why no horses exactly? We're horses not invented yet in Paris during the 1700's? My guess is this was a design choice as trying to navigate on a horse with a billion mindless NPC's probably was a nightmare. They were so pleased with themselves that they could fill up nearly every square inch of the screen with NPC's that they decided they didn't need horses.

AND another thing (props to anyone who's still with me on this).... What the **** happened to the shooting mechanics from AC:BF?! It feels like they went back to the jankey as **** shooting mechanics from AC3. Black Flag had corrected AC3 terrible shooting mechanics and at least made something somewhat playable. Unity for some reason just dropped a lot of the gameplay improvements BF had implemented and I can't figure out why. My best guess is that this was developed by a different portion of Ubisoft's multiple studios. This was probably developed by the division that made AC3, whereas Black Flag was developed by the division that made AC:R.

I could keep going on, but I've clearly gone on long enough. When looking back on it and seeing the promise the story originally had if they hadn't market tested the **** out of it, it actually is pretty depressing. As gorgeous as the game is, Unity is the first time where I can truly feel the passion for the franchise by the developers being noticeably absent and them just setting the series to cruise control.

What they really should do is try something drastically different. Now that they know they can do successful multiplayer and coop gameplay, why not look into doing a psudo-mmo. Its not like they can't work it into the "story" since apparently everyone and their grandmother can relive ancestors memories. Players can choose to be either Templar or Assassin, they can have multiple time periods for the player to jump into where they can create custom characters for those time periods. Obviously with mmo's, even psudo ones like Destiny or like this would be, the story will be thin as paper and the missions will be somewhat repetitive, but how is that any different from what the Assassins Creed series is right now?

TL;DR - Hey Ubisoft Market Research Team..... Fuuuuckkkkkk yyyyooooouuu.

Post on Reddit that sums up my feelings perfectly with this franchise, kinda long but well worth the read.:

I think this is nearly every AC fan after they've read that reddit post.
    95.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

gizmo wrote: »
    He states in the article that his PC has a Core i7 980x which is a 6-core / 12 thread part. I'm certainly not looking for hard stats yet, just a general comment on how the game scales across the available resources. :)

Seems he heard you.
    In my earlier post about these issues, some felt my relatively old processor was to blame; given it’s a six-core chip overclocked to 4Ghz (and that Speedfan shows that none of its core are ever anything like maxed out while running ACU) this seems somewhat unlikely. However, it is possible that its lack of the AVX instruction set featured in later Core chips is causing issues. I can’t give you a definitive answer without laying hands on another, highish-end PC (and I simply don’t have the cash to upgrade), so I simply relate my own experiences for you to use as you will.

See here

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It was worse in AC3, it was a real struggle to finish that game it was just so annoying to run through any town.

I liked BF at first, sank hours into playing it then one day just completely lost interest in it. Once I got over the fun of being a pirate there just wasn't much there story wise to make me want to play it to the end, it didn't feel like I was going to get any big revelation on the overall assassins/templar story.

I'm not excited about Unity at all, The fact I haven't finished BF just means I have no interest in getting unity until I finish BF and I've little interest in finishing BF.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

As I was talking to Spear earlier today, my i7 860 is oc'd to 3.4ghz and all its cores flatline at 80% usage. I get about 20-ish FPS in crowds paired with an R9 280x. About 40 staring at a wall.

Its supposedly a CPU heavy game but it never fully takes advantage of the CPU itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I address my thoughts on the series on boards since assassin creed 3, the series was the reason I wanted a playstation 3 an nearly bought a xbox 360 back in 2007. I still remember the first trailer and remember the moment I first played it when my friends brother bought the special edition that came with altair statue, its setting , music platforming onto rooftops and the first time I experienced next gen graphics , all took my breathe away.

I have been there since the start going through desmond story with his ancestors , fightning templars visiting obstergo , the relationships and going through altair , ezio ,connor and edward kenway story , I am passionate about the series but up to the point of revelations I seen the uphill struggle the series has become that its now an monopoly being controlled by suites than a game with created with passion.

I sense 2 forces pulling the franchise apart, one a studio of suits turning it into a yearly title scheme and a bunch of remarkable developers and artist trying so hard to make each installment so unique and not the same.

remember the first game had incredible vision but 3 different mission types
    AC2 had fixed everything and shaped one of my favourite playstation 3 games , I trusted in the game I pre ordered the statue edition I still have firmly on my shelf in its box with the statue. Brotherhood was my fav in the series , hiring and managing assassins and you felt like yo had a army you made yourself , ezio being young and naive in 2 became a well and respected leader , something altair lacked with his brashness and unwilling to think of the consequences of his actions , common ancestor with two different straits.

but this is where the series felt like a shadow of its former self , revelations was so desperately trying to tie ezio and altair story up that it forgotten what made it special. the gameplay had no direction and introduced non sense mini games that were boring and needless.
    in the end it became my least fav game in the series.

AC3 was better but boring , my biggest complaint was the main character connor kenway who was so annoying and not very likeable , his actions and emotions made him feel petty. the setting felt less impressive with no memorable landmarks and personally find the american revolution while important historical moment the series had to tackle left me not thrilled at all. the gameplay being a 12 hour tutorial with a absolutely boring and useless hunting mini game half way through the game when you are playing hide and seek with your friends, it picked up near the end but had no direction.

Ac4 was a hell of alot better bringing over the ships missions from 3 and was incredible , possibly the best ship segments I have ever experienced , the main character edward you can once again relate to as a man who wants to make a name for himself and be remembered and provide for his beloved, my only complaint was it felt too long and had alot of filler in the middle , but it was a step in the right direction.

unity and rogue I have yet to play with unity I will buy after xmas since money is tight, the french revoultion is something I longed for and I more than welcome the addition of co op with your friends though I do not know how well co op is planted but I am thrilled either way.

developers seem more than determined to fix the game asap as anything online related seems to be tough thing to have working day 1 as it seems.
    the rating system for how much you enjoy the missions I think every dev should do with there consumers, it gives a create community to make the game better for everyone as a product.

I am hoping in the assassin creed still can provide me with moments that I first experienced when I was 17 ( 24 now ) , I have faith in montreal or whoever works on it , but it must be treated right :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Patch is live on PC, doesn't fix anything. Some people have lost all their Uplay points and and others cannot set native resolution anymore (above 1440p it seems). Textures, FPS, pop ups and general glitches are all still there according to feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

I don't think they have a clue where their going with the story in present day. What's the story with the present day in Unity? is it following on from when Desmod died and Minerva and all that Craic, black flags present day was just poor as F_ck. reply to me in spoiler talk

Advertisement