Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brenner Clinic, Williamstown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Doctors have a quota of how many medical card patients they can accept so they have to have room for you. Otherwise you just turn up and pay €50 and you have no problems

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

The practice is closing in the next couple of weeks, I had an appointment there today and for anybody looking for a good gp who cares and takes his time then I can recommend Sean Hogan, today was his last day and he is going to the Carraigdhoun surgery a new practice only opened recently it's between farran park roundabout and williamstown roundabout.

Even if it's staying open under a new owner as I have heard it's the end of the line for me regardless. I don't know if I will follow Sean Hogan to this new place or not. I joined the Brenner Clinic as [name removed] patient so I never really dealt with Sean Hogan too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭April1

Dr Hogan seemed very nice, however I was never too impressed with him as a GP. I would have seen Dr Breen mostly, then once or twice the female doctor. She also left at Christmas, so I hear. I just don't know what do now!

I wonder what happened to make Dr Brenner close down. I hear they were doing well and had over 8,000 people on their books.
    I could never understand why they always had more receptionists on than GP's.

Is there also a new-ish doctors opened on the Dunmore road, close to the Woodlands Hotel? Does anyone know about it?

I'm not really sure but I think that might be Pat Devlin. I don't know her at all, never been to her and don't know anyone that has. She would be an older woman though so givens hat I never heard anything bad I would say she's good. The person told me all this today said that the doctor Sean Hogan will be working with, Deborah Gray, is fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Daithi272

Don't know the new name. From what I am reading here and what I was told earlier she will probably just salvage what she can and move on with life .. wouldn't you?

Its really doesn't look good at all. Especially as Dr Brenner has her other business. I think it would be fair if her patients were told of the changes and that she is closing. There will a lot of very upset patients out there when they find out. Like us, I sure many will be looking for a new GP, but where will they all go.

There isn't much choice out there!!

Daithi272 wrote: »
    Don't know the new name. From what I am reading here and what I was told earlier she will probably just salvage what she can and move on with life .. wouldn't you?
    I was told on fairly good authority yesterday that she is selling the GP practice and going full time into face works. What I can't understand is why one or both of [name removed] haven't tried to buy the place
    April1 wrote: »
    Its really doesn't look good at all. Especially as Dr Brenner has her other business. I think it would be fair if her patients were told of the changes and that she is closing. There will a lot of very upset patients out there when they find out. Like us, I sure many will be looking for a new GP, but where will they all go.

There isn't much choice out there!!
    [name removed]needs to come out and make some sort of announcement about what's going on, the secretaries are trying to but it has to come directly from her. Like I said a while back here, [name removed] did so much for me, especially over the last year so I was fairly taken aback when he left and was going to leave there and then and make a fresh start with someone else but decided to give them a chance, that's gone now though. As to where I'm going, I have no idea. If Rowe Creavin are taking Medical Cards, maybe back there or else possibly follow Sean Hogan.

I just really want to know whats going on.
    More to the point I feel let down. I'm not for one second suggesting that this is [name removed] fault and I have nothing but praise for them both, particularly [name removed]. But surely someone knew about this before now. When [name removed] was leaving, we all knew a couple of weeks in advance that she was going and just over 2 months later [name removed] leaves with virtually no warning and another month on we have this news.
    If I was someone that just went in once a year or whenever I was sick then I would just move on but I have some medical issues so could have really done with some warning, and im sure there are many other patients like me there too.

ryanf1, I completely agree. I would like to know what is going on too. Very unsure what to do now. I need a GP that I know and knows me. I had never heard about Dr O'Reilly leaving either, did the staff tell you in advance, or her? Have you checked out the Brenner Clinics Facebook page?

• Advertisement

ryanf1, I completely agree. I would like to know what is going on too. Very unsure what to do now. I need a GP that I know and knows me. I had never heard about Dr O'Reilly leaving either, did the staff tell you in advance, or her? Have you checked out the Brenner Clinics Facebook page?
    It was put on their website just before christmas that she was leaving on whatever date, I cant remember when exactly. I find it hard to buy it that [name removed] did not know 5 weeks before he left either, but maybe im wrong. My medical histiry is fairly long so I need someone that is aware of everything and what medication i'm on,etc.
    I'm finished college on May 17th and unless things change dramatically and [name removed] returns, I will be leaving the practice. I have heard that Deborah Grey is great with womens things so maybe give her a try?

Does anyone know exactly when they are closing?

Yet another twist in the tale.
    Sean Hogan did indeed leave last Friday, and Eithne Brenner is not there this week either. There is some foreign doctor covering while they are "Recruiting". I dont believe a word they say anymore so wouldnt buy that at all.
    The rumours going around are vicious, but you know what, I wouldn't be surprised if every word of it is true. The way this is being handled is a joke. I'm going for some tests next week so I have no clue who will read the results. Also what are people supposed to do if they need prescriptions and things?
    At the moment my plan is to contact the hospital and see if its possible for them to send me the results directly because I never want to set foot in there again only to collect my files.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

I was told today the Dr. Breen is gone travelling and Dr. Hogan is not on today but some foreign doctor is available. Never said Dr. Hogan has left or anything. Very odd!

Does anyone know exactly when they are closing?

I heard Good Friday but I dont know for sure.
    DonFred wrote: »
    I was told today the Dr. Breen is gone travelling and Dr. Hogan is not on today but some foreign doctor is available. Never said Dr. Hogan has left or anything. Very odd!
    Theres ALOT more to it than that. We may never know the truth but this whole mess stinks.
    Part of me wishes I never left Rowe Creavin and got myself tangled up in all this. And now I cant get back in there

Are you hearing these rumors from a few people or just one? I think Dr Brenner needs to be clear with people, it really doesn't make her look good from a business point.

A mixture really but most of it from the same person. When I put some of it to a secretary she denied it and said she had calls with the same things all day so I dont thik its one person spreading gossip. I know stories get tales on them but to be honest in this whole mess I would believe anything. I didnt believe it that sean hogan had left until this morning, simply because I thought it was too shocking to be true, but it was

Time for the next installment.
    The practice is closing to medical card paitents from Good Friday. From then on it will be open to private patients only. I understand that Medical card patients are being transferred to the surgery where Sean Hogan has moved to for 3 months.
    Theres a letter at home for me from the HSE which I assume is in relation to this so if anyone else has gotten it maybe then can let us know? I'm away at college so wont see it until Friday.
    All I can say is this is one sorry mess and in a way I wish I never moved there and got myself caught up in it all

Are you sure it is staying opened just to private patients? Yes I got a letter today. Also very angry about it all. I called the phone number on the letter. We have to stay with the other doctor for 3 months before we can change to another doctor. So unfair!

Are you sure it is staying opened just to private patients? Yes I got a letter today. Also very angry about it all. I called the phone number on the letter. We have to stay with the other doctor for 3 months before we can change to another doctor. So unfair!
    I don't think we do. But so that doesn't happen we have to change before next friday. I also rang that number but my blood was boiling at that moment so maybe I misunderstood but thats what I gathered.
    This stinks to the high heavens. Also i'm struggling to find many practices willing to take medical card patients. But to be honest, if I was a private patient I would want to run a mile from the place anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

so to recap,
    Dr Breen is gone travelling, we don't know if he will be back or not.
    Dr Hogan is gone to new practice by Farran Park for 3 months?
    Looks like it is remaining open but probably new owners.

correct?

Max Powers wrote: »
    so to recap,
    Dr Breen is gone travelling, we don't know if he will be back or not.
    Dr Hogan is gone to new practice by Farran Park for 3 months?
    Looks like it is remaining open but probably new owners.

correct?
    Nearly.
    Dr Hogan is gone to the new practice permanently.
    Medical Card holders are being transferred to that practice for 3 months beginning Good Friday

Do you know if every GP has to take medical card patients? Or can they choose not to?

Do you know if every GP has to take medical card patients? Or can they choose not to?
    No they don't have to take you. I have already been in touch with Rowe Creavin and they wont take me

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

The medical center in broadstreet is taking new patients, a girl from work moved there a few weeks ago.

Dr Ryan, Dr Mc Brinn and Dr Mooney are three of the best doctors I have ever met. ( just haven't experienced the other ones)

http://www.waterfordmedicalcentre.com/about/

But you often its difficult to get an appointment the same day, you may have to wait till following morning or go in and wait for a cancellation.

Also the location is a major pain especially for limited mobility or 2 babies!

I went there years back when Mark rowe was there so a really long time ago. I have heard Sean mc brin is good but i'd say he's hard to get and I have a preference for a male doctor and he is the only one.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Think Dr. Brenner spoke about what's going on in the Brenner clinic with Billy on Deise a.m just now.

Just caught her saying something like "its unfortunate for all the staff in involved after 7 years"...literally only hear a few seconds of it while I was changing stations. Probably be up on the podcast later/tomorrow so patients of the Brenner Clinic can hear it in full if they missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

There are letters being sent to all patients. The Brenner Clinic is closing on April 17th. Letter is below. Dr. Breen is gone to South Africa and Dr. Hogan is now working in Dr. Grays surgery. The foreign doctor ye are on about is Dr. Zola, and i've seen him twice in the last week and he's very good, seems to really care about the health of his patients. I had a quick conversation with him while he was waiting for his next patient, and i told him to go grab a cuppa. He said "I can do that anytime, right now i want to look after my patients". Also, he is taking over the Clinic and will be staying there, presumably under a different name (he said this directly to me, so i said it to the receptionist if i could transfer my files to him, but i don't think they have him set up yet).

Letter:

"It is with regret that i am writing to inform you that The Brenner Clinic will close on Thursday April 17th. Following 7 years of service to the community in Waterford I have had to take this action due to the lack of available GPs nationwide and an inability to recruit sufficient numbers of doctors to service the needs of the practice's patients.

All GMA (Medical Card) patient's files will be transferred to Dr. Deborah Gray's practice on the Williamstown Road on Thursday April 17th, where she will look after your medical requirements. All details including your prescription records will be transferred, and Dr. Gray will be responsible for all your medical care from Friday April 18th. Dr. Gray is contactable on 051-325130. Please note that as all GP clinics are closed on Good Friday April 18th through Easter Monday, Caredoc will be providing cover for patients. Caredoc can be contacted on 1850-334999 for emergency care.

For non GMS or private patients, we can arrange transfer of files and clinical information to a GP of your choice. All you have to do is let us know by letter or email where you want your files transferred and we will complete that process as soon as possible. Unfortunately we cannot accept transfer requests over the phone due to data protection laws, but you can call in to us in the clinic prior to April 17th where you can sign a simple form to arrange transfer to a GP of your choice.

If you do not request your notes they will be held by us for eight years before being destroyed under data protection procedures.

I would like to thank you for your relationship with The Brenner Clinic and it is with sadness that i have had to make the decision not to continue to offer GP services. I wish you all the best in the future. I would also like to thank the staff of The Brenner Clinic for the excellent care they have provided over the last 7 years.

Dr. Eithne Brenner"

I'm sorry but I don't believe a word of that.
    The surgery was operating just fine with 2 great doctors, in particular Dr [name removed] who really helped me in the last while and was there for me whenever I needed him.
    Where has he gone does anyone know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement