Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum tillage

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

I'm not sure, I've seen his lads till with something that looked like a spaceship being pulled by a machine on tracks and then I scrapped off the side of the ditch gawking at him haha!

Some outfit he has all the same, and some single farm payment!
    Where is he based?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

micraX wrote: »
    Where is he based?

He's from Wexford has his set up outside enniscorthy, he also bought the enniscorthy, new Ross and bunclodey co-ops off of wfc

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭micraX

He's from Wexford has his set up outside enniscorthy, he also bought the enniscorthy, new Ross and bunclodey co-ops off of wfc

Wfc? I see, bit far away to go for a spin. Haha

That's just the co-ops he has land taken all over, there's an interesting video on youtube of him harvesting must look it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

have you seen furlong-cooney set up greengrass? i reckon he could be near the 3000 acre mark.

Yes know them very well. Some set up alright. Gas two of the biggest class combines in the country. Shame to see all the forage rape turned into the ground every spring when lads could graze it for them.
    Owns a share of target too

• Advertisement

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl6RGoEqawQ&feature=youtu.be

Yes know them very well. Some set up alright. Gas two of the biggest class combines in the country. Shame to see all the forage rape turned into the ground every spring when lads could graze it for them.
    Owns a share of target too

Why is there fodder rape in it?

That's right all the fert they have is target afaik!
    Heard they have land out foreign aswell but weather it's true i don't know probably not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Seemingly has a good skelp of ground in Poland. Up to 2000 acres one lad told me and another from down beside hom tells me it could be up to 5000ac out there.

Why is there fodder rape in it?

That's right all the fert they have is target afaik!
    Heard they have land out foreign aswell but weather it's true i don't know probably not

Have to have a certain amount if your tillage ground green or something like that. Could be up to your ankles in December but he ploughs it back down

Have to have a certain amount if your tillage ground green or something like that. Could be up to your ankles in December but he ploughs it back down

Oh I didn't think he ploughed his ground.
    A bordering farmer could snake the cattle in for a quick graze , shur he'd never know

• Advertisement

Seemingly has a good skelp of ground in Poland. Up to 2000 acres one lad told me and another from down beside hom tells me it could be up to 5000ac out there.

Some land!
    Fair play to him that he's still going strong, a lot of big lads fell to the ground when banks stopped lending

Oh I didn't think he ploughed his ground.
    A bordering farmer could snake the cattle in for a quick graze , shur he'd never know

Well when I say plough I mean what ever way he sows ha.
    Ye a lad my discussion group said they would be the finest crops of rape and ye can't touch them ha

Some land!
    Fair play to him that he's still going strong, a lot of big lads fell to the ground when banks stopped lending

He diversified though. Lot if lads only had the hand in the one pie. Fair achuevment to have that lump of land.

Well when I say plough I mean what ever way he sows ha.
    Ye a lad my discussion group said they would be the finest crops of rape and ye can't touch them ha

Ah yeah I know what ya mean, I seen a yoke on a tractor of his, the tractor was the size of my house And I wouldn't be able to tell u what was behind it!
    Yeah I heard there's a few of them in it alright.
    I wonder does he pay any better than glanbia for tonne of barley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭GRASSorMUCK

Ay from what i was told he cultivates with top-down at 4'' puts in cover crops to build fertility ( had more than fodder rape in? usually legume mix aswel?) then in spring goes to 8'' in loosened sod. That was 5yrs ago mind!, wouldn't need to many ponies on his predominantly light ground as a cross slot barely works the soil for a big width 8/9m i heard.
    The lexions are on claases 5yr purchase hire deal thats almost Bankrupted claas, obsessed with selling new kit but they're yards are full of 9-5 yr old kit no-one want as worn out. Alot of the big guys over here usualy run one mega machine and one mid ranged to deal with short work and obsticales to keep larger machne at 100% output whole time why did he get 2 780's? and then just 35fters as will never get max output. Not like he's short on drying capacity if a 2012 rolls round again.

conor t wrote: »
    @grassormuck

Do you have any trouble with the discs getting blocked on the jd750?

Not realy but only using it in anger for 12 months on a trial block with the bloke over the hedge, he's been using it for 10 years, has 1 or 2 other machines for wet conditions but also uses a vaddy carrier with crosscutter fitted for chopping up crop materials and a tillso staw rake also to even out thrash across the field. Most guys back home couldn't justify that to be fair. :)

sheebadog wrote: »
    Heard that also.
    On the whole BG issues I think grass just has to come back into the rotation.
    I'm just a bit cynical when guys preach on about the whole min till / soil condition thing. Then in the same breath tell you how the black grass is glyphosate resistant on their farm.

Spring cropping just has to become a bigger player in the system. I have had poor enough results min tilling spring crops. Fine in a kind spring when rain comes in the right time. Ploughing warms up and dries up the soil so much quicker.

Have heard whispers of Bg glyphosate resistance but these are from the guys that apply very regularly at very low-rates ie. same reason Atlantis failed so quickly so take it with a pinch of salt. Guys over here look to the chem shed rather than good practice, i would reckon on most farms that min-til use Glyphosate at any rate at least once per year on every single acre, thats not sustainable until something breaks it down!. I have sen on one field we grassed it' take PRG 3 years to smoother out BG farmed by a guy i believe to be a good grass grower its just so aggresive, we regularly see a new flush of seedlings 3-5 days after cultivating in August!

What's this cross slot yoke your all on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

What's this cross slot yoke your all on about?

It's for helping a cow with tetney!!!!!!

http://www.crossslot.com/drills
    Most Direct drillers have wet dreams about this, but they cost iirc 25k per meter.
    They are a good piece of kit with a very smart coulter design that bumps up the price

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

I used a 50ft one of these for a few months in Austraila a few years ago. Off the top of my head I think we could do 350ha in a 12hre shift. Big 95 articulated jd tractor. Loved it but after a few months it gets boring. You'd get sick of the 200 geese nipples that have to no done every day ha.

I've one for 4 acres of feeding barley I do, nice 30 foot header to harvest it aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Have heard whispers of Bg glyphosate resistance but these are from the guys that apply very regularly at very low-rates ie. same reason Atlantis failed so quickly so take it with a pinch of salt. Guys over here look to the chem shed rather than good practice, i would reckon on most farms that min-til use Glyphosate at any rate at least once per year on every single acre, thats not sustainable until something breaks it down!. I have sen on one field we grassed it' take PRG 3 years to smoother out BG farmed by a guy i believe to be a good grass grower its just so aggresive, we regularly see a new flush of seedlings 3-5 days after cultivating in August!

You're on the ball about the over reliance on chemicals. I've seen resistant BG with my own eyes.
    Where do you go when glyphosate fails to deliver.
    Atlantis is a terrific chemical to have in the arsenal and it's a shame to have it break down so quickly.

You're on the ball about the over reliance on chemicals. I've seen resistant BG with my own eyes.
    Where do you go when glyphosate fails to deliver.
    Atlantis is a terrific chemical to have in the arsenal and it's a shame to have it break down so quickly.

I'm sure BIG AG-CHEM inc will have some sort of spray package, hell we went with a pre-em+avadex+post em programme and still only 80% control in worst places, have already ripped out about 170 acre might go with SBarley or Beans was due next year for SB so might go S rye for one the local big boys A D plants, followed by tillage radish based cover crop, some realy impressive results seen localy with it this year. If they could improve the energy extraction ability of BG we would be laughing chuck it all in Ad plants! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

I'm sure BIG AG-CHEM inc will have some sort of spray package, hell we went with a pre-em+avadex+post em programme and still only 80% control in worst places, have already ripped out about 170 acre might go with SBarley or Beans was due next year for SB so might go S rye for one the local big boys A D plants, followed by tillage radish based cover crop, some realy impressive results seen localy with it this year. If they could improve the energy extraction ability of BG we would be laughing chuck it all in Ad plants! :pac:

Avadex spray or granules?

Avadex spray or granules?

Granules pretty sure they can't stabilise it enough to liquify? Or so our agronomo likes to say. We just use a contrctor as plenty about looking for the work.
    Quick Google says is a spray, must get onto Mr. Agrii !

Advertisement