Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you miss most?

Options
  • 18-03-2014 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

This is intended to be a light-hearted thread and not to step on the "moan" thread - but I'm wondering what others are missing about their pre-pregnancy life?

There are lots of foods I miss - sushi being the main one, also rare steak and stinky cheeses! I'm not really missing alcohol except the odd Friday after a tough week I would love to be able to unwind with a big glass of wine.

I also miss being "nimble" - running up stairs, standing on one foot and putting a sock on the other, squeezing between tables in a restaurant, or squatting down to get something from the bottom shelf of a supermarket and being able to get back up again without lots of moaning and groaning!

Finally, and I hope I'm not embarrassing myself by being alone in this - I miss having a satisfying wee! All too often I'll be "dying for the loo" and then all I get is a pathetic little trickle :o

Has anyone else got anything they miss, or ideas for the first thing they're going to eat/do once baby is here safely?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Running! I had a dream I was running last night. No chance of me doing it at 37 weeks :)

Also, the feeling of not being thirsty. Nothing seems to satisfy my thirst. I am on the eternal quest of something refreshing, but it never seems to quite hit the spot. And if it does, it only does it for a moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Shellfish and pate were what I missed. Oh delicious shellfish. I didn't miss alcohol either, because it make me puke for the first 4 and last 3 months of pregnancy... And i had a glass of beer or wine every other week when it wasn't making me feel sick anyway. I also ate plenty of rare steak (cooked on the outside kills bacteria), and the hard stinky cheese like stilton. It was only the soft ones we were to avoid, right?

My birthday is coming up and it's going to be a shellfish based dinner! Woohoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Shellfish!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Merkin wrote: »
    Shellfish!

I've been eating cooked shellfish if it's piping hot and from a place I trust - not huge amounts but I haven't been avoiding seafood chowder or the likes. I've been looking at the NHS website for the food advice as it seems very practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I miss having boundless energy!
    I miss Having about4+ hours sleep without disturbance for toilet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

I miss having boundless energy!
    I miss Having about4+ hours sleep without disturbance for toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

I've been looking at the NHS website for the food advice as it seems very practical.

Yeah, the NHS website is my go-to for all things food & pregnancy related!
    The advice for UK & Ireland is usually the same - there are some differences to USA etc.

You can eat shellfish, as long as it's cooked. And you can eat raw fish as long as the fish is farmed. Or has been frozen. Sushi grade fish for consumption in the EU must be either farmed or flash frozen, but it would be best to ask the chef before you eat, just in case!

OMG I didn't realise I could eat Stilton. I'm such a dope!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I miss being able to eat with out being sick or choosing foods that make it easier. I also miss being able to life the heavy baby and carry him around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Right now I'm missing the alcohol but that's only because I'm having a tough week!

I don't restrict foods too much... I don't eat soft cheeses anyway and once I trust it I'd eat shellfish and stuff like that. I eat my steak medium rare so that's fine.

I do miss not being able to sleep on my stomach!!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

January wrote: »
    I do miss not being able to sleep on my stomach!!

Oh God - how did I forget this one?!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

January wrote: »
    Right now I'm missing the alcohol but that's only because I'm having a tough week!!

I know it's not the same January, but Mr. Merkin and I had an Indian on Saturday night and we both really fancied a beer. He is off booze for Lent and I haven't drank booze while pregnant (and wine is my tipple of choice) but I suggested we get some Becks non-alcoholic beers to have with our food (to much suspicion from hubster). They were delicious! I had two bottles and they were really cool and refreshing and to all intents and purposes didn't taste any different. They'll be perfect when it gets a bit warmer and we start barbequing food too, worth trying if you feel you have an itch that needs to be scratched! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I miss being able to eat without getting heartburn.
    I miss wine.
    I miss being able to play on the floor with my 23 month old or dancing around with the radio on and lifting her up.
    I miss walking our dogs (OH does it) and kicking the football around the garden with them and my daughter.
    I miss being able to get in and out of the car without grunting . Or being able to put on shoes or socks without grunting.
    I also miss loads of my favourite shoes that no longer fit.

So much for not turning it into a moan

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Oooh this is great!

I miss being able to eat different foods, my stomach can only handle a small list of bland stuff. SO boring.
    I miss chocolate! I've tried to eat some but it just tastes blaagh now.
    I kind of miss coffee, but just the smell of it makes me feel sick so not really.
    I don't miss booze, funnily enough.

I miss cycling, just as a quick means to get around town and also weekend bike trips.
    I miss my energy - being this knackered all the time is stupid.
    I miss a good night's sleep.
    I miss not being worried about every little twinge.

One (two) thing I don't miss - my normal boobs! Now that my boobs aren't sore anymore, I'm loving my new C-D cups!! :D I'll miss them when they go down again.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i miss food and restaurants.

i am a big foodie but food is tasteless and bland. i no longer get any pleasure or enjoyment from food.

it is a waste of money, going to restaurants.

i only eat now when someone reminds me :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Miss sleeping on my left side and stomach. Limiting myself to one side (right only) makes me extremely restless.

I miss delicious coffee from Starbucks that has just way too much caffeine for me to justify on top of the amount of tea I drink (which is still over the caffeine level).

I miss being able to put on my own socks. Not kidding, I can't do it. I either have to get OH to put them on, or get him to put a fresh pair on me the night before if he is going to be gone before I get up.

I miss clear skin (my back looks like bubbling lava).

I really, really miss the daily urgency with which I normally "need" my OH. :o

Honestly though I'd be quite content with it all if it weren't for the restlessness in bed from not being able to turn or toss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Miss sleeping on my left side and stomach. Limiting myself to one side (right only) makes me extremely restless.

I thought the left one was the one everyone says you're meant to sleep on ...? For blood flow .. or ... something!

Meah, I asked a couple of nurses about that (because I prefer sleeping on my right or on my back), and they said any way at all was fine, so long as you're comfy. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I thought the left one was the one everyone says you're meant to sleep on ...? For blood flow .. or ... something!

Meah, I asked a couple of nurses about that (because I prefer sleeping on my right or on my back), and they said any way at all was fine, so long as you're comfy. :)

It is, but I cant sleep on my left side due to sciatic pain. I get stabbing, white hot pains in my leg that are enough to wake me screaming and crying if I lie on my left side for more than 5 minutes. So right side only for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

It is, but I cant sleep on my left side due to sciatic pain. I get stabbing, white hot pains in my leg that are enough to wake me screaming and crying if I lie on my left side for more than 5 minutes. So right side only for me.

Ah that sounds awful, you poor thing! :(

Well any nurse/midwife/doctor I asked said that it absolutely does not matter what way you lie, except maybe when you're at the very end and actually in labour.

I only even mentioned the thing about lying on your left, just in case you were avoiding it for that reason, that there's no need to! (According to anyone I asked anyways!)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I sleep on my breast feeding pillow and omg it makes life so much easier,I can sleep on either side or my tummy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

I miss sleeping on my belly!!
    Red bull.. I'd love a can of red bull I could even do with out the vodka just give me the redbull !
    I really miss being able to go for a walk with out feeling like I've been kicked in the finnoula. And moving in bed is such an effort.
    I miss putting on my socks without being in pain! Damn SPD :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I miss having a normal temper!!! Instead of the rage that comes upon me every so often.

I also miss wearing a tight dress on a night out, swigging a vodka red bull and a sneaky drag of a fag.... Mmmmm (yes I'm a classy bird).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

I really, really miss the daily urgency with which I normally "need" my OH. :o
    Oh I miss that too. We tried but it just felt wrong :(

I miss wearing nice clothes and feeling pretty :( I miss high heels. I walk like a duck in flats.

My diet hasn't changed so nothing to miss there.
    I just have no energy, no motivation, no desire to do anything. I spend days and days in the this vegetable like state and don't care about it. I can start crying anytime, I just feel so sad. I've diagnosed myself with depression or something along those lines. not good :(

I miss my easy and careless life in general which is gone forever now... well at least for the next 18 years or so :(

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

J@utis, that is a lot of frowny faces, you poor thing. Pregnancy can feel like something has just taken over your life and your body. Have you thought of talking to your gp or someone about feeling so low?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

At the risk of sounding like a selfish b*tch, I miss planning my holiday! We normally do a big fly/drive holiday to the USA in September and I spend months and months planning out the perfect itinerary, finding the perfect accommodation and basically just ensuring it’s the holiday of a life time. I guess it’s just the realisation that those big holidays are a thing of the past for the foreseeable future and that we aren’t going to just have ourselves to think about from now on! It’s a bit scary! Although I know the Costa del Youghal with our little baby and watching them dip their toes in the sea and sand for the first time will be better than any big fancy trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

j@utis wrote: »
    My diet hasn't changed so nothing to miss there.
    I just have no energy, no motivation, no desire to do anything. I spend days and days in the this vegetable like state and don't care about it. I can start crying anytime, I just feel so sad. I've diagnosed myself with depression or something along those lines. not good :(

Oh j@utis that's not a fun way to feel at all, would you consider talking to a GP about it? Which hospital are you with? I know for certain that both Holles Street and the Rotunda have Mental Health Support Teams - I'm with the Rotunda one myself :) It's estimated that 1 in 8 pregnant women will experience perinatal depression, and if you have a history of depression there's a 60% chance of relapse. I'm in the last category, I haven't developed full on depression as yet but even if I fly through the pregnancy there's an extremely high chance that I'll experience post-natal depression so I'm trying to be proactive instead of reactive :)

Sure, pregnancy is great and new life and isn't it fab and all the rest... but sometimes it's also bloody tough. Your body isn't yours anymore, you don't feel the way you normally do, feelings of helplessness, being overwhelmed, confusion, guilt, despair - these are all things that a number of women can empathise with, and the health professionals will recognise. Please don't feel that you're on your own because you aren't, as with many mental health issues it's just something that people are less willing to talk about for fear of misunderstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I missed wine, and pate the most.

I also missed shopping for clothes. not that I was a shopaholic or anything its just that when I was preggers I seemed to see loads of lovely clothes that I would have bought. Maternity clothes are soooo frumpy and ugly. Now I see nothing. and also everything I buy has to be breastfeedable in. so everything is again ugly and frumpy! or non-existant! ah! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I missed wine, and pate the most.

I also missed shopping for clothes. not that I was a shopaholic or anything its just that when I was preggers I seemed to see loads of lovely clothes that I would have bought. Maternity clothes are soooo frumpy and ugly. Now I see nothing. and also everything I buy has to be breastfeedable in. so everything is again ugly and frumpy! or non-existant! ah! :(
    I didn't notice the lack of maternity clothing during the winter, there were nice jumpers etc around, but was in town last week and couldn't believe the poor selection. Everything was so dark and dowdy, no bright spring colours and what's with the stripes everywhere :eek::eek::eek: Why put a woman who already is paranoid about her shape in horizontal stripes :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Sarah Bear

ncmc wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding like a selfish b*tch, I miss planning my holiday! We normally do a big fly/drive holiday to the USA in September and I spend months and months planning out the perfect itinerary, finding the perfect accommodation and basically just ensuring it’s the holiday of a life time. I guess it’s just the realisation that those big holidays are a thing of the past for the foreseeable future and that we aren’t going to just have ourselves to think about from now on! It’s a bit scary! Although I know the Costa del Youghal with our little baby and watching them dip their toes in the sea and sand for the first time will be better than any big fancy trip.

Me too! We always go to Spain for two weeks around June/July but I'm due early June.. My other half thinks I'm nuts trying to plan a holiday for September!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭painauchocolat

Wine! Only a tiny bit pregnant, so most things like exercise and clothes are still fine, thankfully. Being shamefully honest (yay for anonymous forums!) I didn't think it had "worked" this month, so only took a pregnancy test to confirm I wasn't pregnant, before having a cheeky Friday night glass of red. Serious surprise when the test came up positive!

The only other thing I miss at the minute is being able to tell the whole truth to people who'd normally know everything about me. Too scared to let anyone (apart from husband obv!) know what's going on until things have progressed a bit further. Is 12 weeks still the standard time to share the news?

• Advertisement

ncmc wrote: »

Planning ours is what kept me going and looking forward to it keeps me going:)

I think that I have nicer maternity clothes then normal clothes:)

Advertisement