Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dodder.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Evac101 wrote: »
    But that would prevent a whole bunch of the very casual* anglers that are members of the club form catching and one of the things Red and the rest seem most proud of is the fact that the Dodder Anglers are the largest club in the country....

*Very casual = fish Paddy's Day weekend and camp the pools with maggots and ground bait during the summer. I realise how ****ty I sound saying that.

We all have to start somewhere as a kid I was one of those out fishing with maggots on the dodder now I fly fish it from time to time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Being a fresh new Dubliner, I decided to give the Dodder a go yesterday. Got my Dodder permit and went to look at the river in Bushy Park. Fished for a bit over 30 minutes as I didn't have much time. I just wanted to have a look. Still caught a couple of wee brownies. Nice little fight in them .

The river is looking good. I was fishing with a bead head nymph size 16

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

Managed a few fish the last couple of weeks from the dodder. Got one nice wild fish yesterday on a PTN.

9LuDEAF.jpg
    RflldYK.jpg
    y8yBfrJ.jpg

Cracking fish ! I'm fly fishing the Dodder every night now mainly on PTN actually. Haven't got anything close to this :D best atm is around 20cm. Catching a good few though which is nice to see.

PM me if you want to share an hour on the river. Always good to listen to locals and so far I haven't seen any other Fly fishermen on the river.... maybe I'm not going the right places ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

BoarHunter wrote: »
    Cracking fish ! I'm fly fishing the Dodder every night now mainly on PTN actually. Haven't got anything close to this :D best atm is around 20cm. Catching a good few though which is nice to see.

PM me if you want to share an hour on the river. Always good to listen to locals and so far I haven't seen any other Fly fishermen on the river.... maybe I'm not going the right places ! :)

You prob won't find any other lads fly fishing it ATM. Still to many maggot feeders on it trying to get the last of the stocked fish

• Advertisement

Thanks it put up a good scrap! Ye I have not seen to many people fly fishing just yet. There has also only been sporadic hatches of flies the times I've been out so not too much opportunity for some dry fly action. I'll PM you during the week if I'm heading out some evening.

You prob won't find any other lads fly fishing it ATM. Still to many maggot feeders on it trying to get the last of the stocked fish

Actually I have seen people fishing static on holes yes... Was walking the bank in Milltown yesterday. Looks like nice pools there but not much activity on the surface.

Actually I have seen people fishing static on holes yes... Was walking the bank in Milltown yesterday. Looks like nice pools there but not much activity on the surface.

Some lovely spots there to fish but as you said there isn't much activity in it which is a pity and they're perfect for trout

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Welllmade1745

Was down on the fly tonight, not much doing, loads of maggot and worm fisherman, seems to be a lot of them fishing near Orwell bridge, anyone know if there is many fish left there?

Was down on the fly tonight, not much doing, loads of maggot and worm fisherman, seems to be a lot of them fishing near Orwell bridge, anyone know if there is many fish left there?

They havint left that spot since paddys day and probably won't till everything is caught.

Anyone hear of the young lad that drowned up at the reservoir yesterday?
    I can't get my head around the amount of signs up there warning people not to swim and yet they still do.
    Was talking to the warden last year and he said at least 3 people drown up there a year.

• Advertisement

They havint left that spot since paddys day and probably won't till everything is caught.

Anyone hear of the young lad that drowned up at the reservoir yesterday?
    I can't get my head around the amount of signs up there warning people not to swim and yet they still do.
    Was talking to the warden last year and he said at least 3 people drown up there a year.

Ye I heard about that all right its pretty terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Was down the dodder today and saw this fairly decent sized fish , no idea what he was?? Say he was easily 2lbs, very dark body and a white head??? Anyone any ideas??

Got four fish today all on dry fly. All the fresh water coming down the river has made the fish come up for flies on the surface with bit more confidence. Also spotted this stone loach (I think) on the bottom dead unfortunately but I think its a good sign of a healthy river.
    AumQo2D.jpg

billy2012 wrote: »
    Was down the dodder today and saw this fairly decent sized fish , no idea what he was?? Say he was easily 2lbs, very dark body and a white head??? Anyone any ideas??

Was it an actual white head or was it marks on it's head?
    Stocked fish do have marks on their head from hitting themselves on the side of tanks and such

• Registered Users Posts: 23 NakedIrish

Went out for a few hours today along the wall by Dodder Road Lower, starting at the end of Bushy Park and ending up just at the start of Orwell park. Spinning with Mepps #1 and Mepps #2 for the most part, no joy on any fish (I doubt that was the rivers fault :) ) but it was nice to be away from the computer for a while.

If anyone is heading down to the Dodder and fancies showing a newbie the ropes a bit I'd be happy to meet up and get a few hours in with someone...

Advertisement