Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dodder.

Options
  • 18-03-2014 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭

Many people been out??

Hows she fishing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Got 18 yesterday morning all over 2 pound but that's been my worst year in a while. Place was full of poachers on Saturday and Sunday. I reported them on both days and nothing was done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭whelzer

Got 18 yesterday morning all over 2 pound but that's been my worst year in a while. Place was full of poachers on Saturday and Sunday. I reported them on both days and nothing was done about it.

It will be full of them again with that juicy info available on public forum.

whelzer wrote: »
    It will be full of them again with that juicy info available on public forum.

Didn't stop them on Saturday or Sunday so postin I caught 18 over two pound isn't going to change and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭jack01986

All stockies was it Dodderangler?

jack01986 wrote: »
    All stockies was it Dodderangler?

Yeah. Biggest was 3 lb but best was a half pounder wildy. Fought harder than any stocky did.
    Was a bit to bright yesterday morning though with a lot f fish following spinner until sun hit them and they'd turn away

• Advertisement

Will be out on the weekend hopefully try to get some on the fly maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Yeah. Biggest was 3 lb but best was a half pounder wildy. Fought harder than any stocky did.
    Was a bit to bright yesterday morning though with a lot f fish following spinner until sun hit them and they'd turn away

How much is the Dodder License Now D A?

21/25

I think its still only €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Went out late last night on got a few smalls one, nothing more than a pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

What do you mean by poaching? Were they netting or something??

• Advertisement

Flysfisher wrote: »
    What do you mean by poaching? Were they netting or something??

Season starts on paddys day. They were there on sat and Sunday which is illegal so I'd say that's poaching. Also using maggots which is also illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

Hope you put them back 18 is a bit much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Had a few nice ones last night, all in and around 2lbs. Thinking about heading out now but the wind is quite strong.

Season starts on paddys day. They were there on sat and Sunday which is illegal so I'd say that's poaching. Also using maggots which is also illegal.

Don't think using Maggots is illegal, just Un-ethical for Trout

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

uch wrote: »
    Don't think using Maggots is illegal, just Un-ethical for Trout

Lots of clubs don't allow it, not sure about dodder though.

billy2012 wrote: »
    Had a few nice ones last night, all in and around 2lbs. Thinking about heading out now but the wind is quite strong.

Was that you I seen last night while I was walking the dog?

Got a three today on spiders. Didn't last too long as it was freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 _danny_b

Two lovely wild brownies during my lunch break today. On a spider. First fish of the season. About seven or 8 inches. The second one felt like a much bigger fish and had me all excited for a moment. But what a treat for an urban lunch break.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Biggest was 3 lb but best was a half pounder wildy. Fought harder than any stocky did.

Can I ask why the Dodder is allowed stock the river given that there is an indigenous native population of fish? Just a general question as it seems IFI (from my understanding) don't allow stockies if there is an existing population of wild fish.

Can I ask why the Dodder is allowed stock the river given that there is an indigenous native population of fish? Just a general question as it seems IFI (from my understanding) don't allow stockies if there is an existing population of wild fish.
    I think it's just for paddys week. To keep it exciting but sure it doesn't last long. All the trout are triploids.
    As I posted about the poachers half of the fish are gone within two days after they stock it.
    This year 750 went into it but sure there does be more than 200 people on the river that day.

• Advertisement

I think it's just for paddys week. To keep it exciting but sure it doesn't last long. All the trout are triploids.
    As I posted about the poachers half of the fish are gone within two days after they stock it.
    This year 750 went into it but sure there does be more than 200 people on the river that day.

I really meant how come Dodder can release trout when other rivers are prevented from releasing fish by IFI on the grounds that there is an indigenous population already there.

Any response from dodderangler? Would really love to know how you got permission to release fish.

Any response from dodderangler? Would really love to know how you got permission to release fish.

You'd have to ask the man in charge of the dodder angler club.
    Never said I released them.

You'd have to ask the man in charge of the dodder angler club.

Who be that then?

Who be that then?

Dodder Anglers Club. Mr. Redmond O'Hanlon, according to:

http://www.fishinginireland.info/trout/east/dublin/dodder.htm

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Just as a point there is a minor population of rainbows in there (the Dodder) too which, I assume, have come down via the overflow spillway of the lower lake at Botharnabreena - I've caught them in the river off the road up though it is rare to spot them. Whether this would have an effect on the IFI permitting the release of stockie brownies into the lower (Tallaght park and downriver) reaches of the river I don't know.

Another point to consider is that with the destruction/dereliction of the majority of the fish ladders at the weirs there's no easy path of fish moving up or down the river. While I know that there are natural obstructions which present the same type of problem (waterfalls, etc) the weirs have been there so long (at least one of which dates to the 13th century from the little documentation I could source) that perhaps the river is viewed by the IFI as a (poorly) managed resource rather then a natural one?

By no means certain that one, or either, of these would have any bearing the club being permitted to release trout into it *shrug*

*Just to clarify, I'm a member of said club for the last 15 years or so and the most positive actions I've seen taken with respect to managing the water and protecting it's trout have been taken without the involvement of the deeply conservative and reluctant to act committee or in outright defiance of decisions of that committee. While they may have their reasons for adopting their stance they don't seem willing to communicate these being content with a 'that's not how we do this' type answers at AGMs when questioned about it.

Not sure if they still do it but when I used t stock the river with the club about 25 rainbows were put in for the "lucky" angler which I never liked. A rainbow would eat absolutely everything in that river. I know triploid stockies browns will aswell but rainbows are worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I can never understand why people want stockie brown trout in their waters. Much better to improve the river environment to promote natural spawning of the wild brownies. My own club hasn't released stockies in decades. The wild brown trout have flourished due to river improvements and toughrestrictions on keep sizes and quantities.

There is no skill or excitement in hooking and landing a stockie. The tradecraft needed to catch and land a decent wild brown trout on the fly is one of the greatest elements in angling.

Was out again this morning for a couple of hours the river was running high and fast but not too coloured had some success on spider patterns again. Hoping to get some on the dry fly over the weekend maybe as the water drops off and if it stays relatively warm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

There is no skill or excitement in hooking and landing a stockie. The tradecraft needed to catch and land a decent wild brown trout on the fly is one of the greatest elements in angling.

But that would prevent a whole bunch of the very casual* anglers that are members of the club form catching and one of the things Red and the rest seem most proud of is the fact that the Dodder Anglers are the largest club in the country....

*Very casual = fish Paddy's Day weekend and camp the pools with maggots and ground bait during the summer. I realise how ****ty I sound saying that.

Advertisement