Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social stigma on age in relationships.

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,909 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I met my husband when I was 17 and in 5th year, he was 20 and a working adult. The age difference never registered with me at all. If anyone else had a problem with it, I certainly wasn't aware of it. I was a bit concerned that my parents might be like "what are your intentions with my daughter" but they saw straight away how crazy I was about him and how well he treated me so they weren't worried. That was nearly 11 years ago, we've been happily married for 3 years and have a beautiful son. Age is just a number, if ye're compatible that's the main thing. I'd say go for it and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lolonamous

Toots* wrote: »
    I met my husband when I was 17 and in 5th year, he was 20 and a working adult. The age difference never registered with me at all. If anyone else had a problem with it, I certainly wasn't aware of it. I was a bit concerned that my parents might be like "what are your intentions with my daughter" but they saw straight away how crazy I was about him and how well he treated me so they weren't worried. That was nearly 11 years ago, we've been happily married for 3 years and have a beautiful son. Age is just a number, if ye're compatible that's the main thing. I'd say go for it and see how you get on.

Cheers all the positive stories from you and others really have shed light on the situation for me. I really don't wanna live wondering "what if". I'm gonna go for it. I'm crazy about her and I'm not gonna let some preconceived idea hold me back. I'm in love and that's just it. Thanks again everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I've been dating a girl who's 22, I've just turned 35. Both of us work in the same company with decent jobs. Nothings official between us but so far the age thing hasn't put either of us off.

Although in the back of my mind i'm thinking a 22 year old is going to want different things in life than I want at my age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

When my ex's sister started going out with a 42 year old man at the age of 16 and no one blinked an eye except myself, I gave up.

It depends OP. I'm in college with my lady,shes 18, I'm 23. Never have I thought it was strange. The brother had a bit of a strop but the less said about him...

If it works, it works. Four years isn't an awful amount but other posters are right about the pace of development and the long term consequences a relationship can have on life choices at that age e.g doing a course in college you aren't passionate about to be close to the other half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

I'd always be live and let live, people are all individual and it's hard to say.

But the fact is, if I was with a schoolkid when I was in my twenties I, personally, would have felt like a creepy weirdo. I'm not saying you are... but that is how I would feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

And with that last piece of sage advice we are done, especially as the OP has made up their mind.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement