Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social stigma on age in relationships.

Options
  • 18-03-2014 3:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I am currently seeing someone who is 4 years younger than me. I am 21 and they are 17. I have been racking my brains about the situation as even though the age difference is evident I would still say I have strong feelings for this person but yet to tell my mates about it? Am I wrong altogether or is it all in my head? Should I care what people think? Advice would be appreciated boys and girls xoxo

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mod note - moved to RI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Is your girlfriend still in secondary school?
    Are you in college/working?

It's relative really.
    If you're both in college than I wouldn't think it such a big deal.
    But if she is still a school child, no matter how mature, then I think that's different.

It obviously doesn't sit well with you OP.
    If you're not comfortable with your own relationship, then I don't know how you expect anyone else to be.

I think the four years between 17 and 21 usually herald a lot of changes and personal growth in a person, so the maturity gap is much more pronounced at those ages than a couple of say 24/28. If you're in college or working and your bf/gf is still in school, there may be power inbalance skewed in your favour. This is what can make people uncomfortable with an adult and school age young adult relationship.

It is legal, but only you know the circumstances and whether or not it's appropriate because there's too many variables from individual to individual for anyone else to make the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

At 21 you could be finished a 4 year degree and working on the beginnings of your career while the 17 year old will most likely still be in school sitting their leaving cert.

Huge gap.

17 year olds these days seem to be even more immature than years gone by.

I wouldn't put any stigma on it but how long could it realistically last? I mean, they couldn't even go to the pub for a quiet drink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Shivers26

While I wouldn't normally make a big issue out of age gaps those ages are where a lot of growing up and changing gets done. Just be careful.

I had a 21 year old boyfriend when I was 15, I was doing my Junior Cert and he had a full time job. Current boyfriend is 6 years older than me which is no big deal because we are both in our 30's but when he talks about his first year in college and I say I was in 6th class that year it seems like a massive age difference ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Lolonamous

Addle wrote: »
    Is your girlfriend still in secondary school?
    Are you in college/working?

It's relative really.
    If you're both in college than I wouldn't think it such a big deal.
    But if she is still a school child, no matter how mature, then I think that's different.

It obviously doesn't sit well with you OP.
    If you're not comfortable with your own relationship, then I don't know how you expect anyone else to be.

It doesn't really bother me as such just I know people would look at us funny but I'm of the opinion that 18-22 sounds a lot better than 17-21. She is currently in school 5th year but works aswell (I know it sounds bad but you can't help who you like). There are strong feelings from both of us towards each other and I know it sounds a cliche but she is so intelligent and mature it amazes me. Compared to what I was like when I was 17 there is no comparison. I'm really falling for this person and maybe I shouldn't but I am. As the saying goes "love is blind"

Shivers26 wrote: »
    While I wouldn't normally make a big issue out of age gaps those ages are where a lot of growing up and changing gets done. Just be careful.

I had a 21 year old boyfriend when I was 15, I was doing my Junior Cert and he had a full time job. Current boyfriend is 6 years older than me which is no big deal because we are both in our 30's but when he talks about his first year in college and I say I was in 6th class that year it seems like a massive age difference ;)

Okay but that's slightly younger then my predicament but honestly would you say there were real feelings towards one another or what it just a mutual attraction? Because I feel in my situation yes were attracted to each other but there is so much more than that we talk about serious/silly things and there's nobody else id rather do it with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Where did you meet her?
    Do you usually socialize with school kids?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Despite it being legal, i have to say I think there'sssomething very weird about an adult going out with somebody in fifth year.

Addle wrote: »
    Where did you meet her?
    Do you usually socialize with school kids?

No not at all was at a work night out and I ended up meeting her there didn't find out her age until she added me on Facebook a few days later. As I said I didn't set out for this to happen it just did and please try to refrain from insulting me please and thank you.

• Advertisement

Despite it being legal, i have to say I think there'sssomething very weird about an adult going out with somebody in fifth year.

You see that's the annoying part of she was in college it would be okay and trust me from the outside I'd say and have said the same thing but now I'm just confused on the situation.

Lolonamous wrote: »
    You see that's the annoying part of she was in college it would be okay and trust me from the outside I'd say and have said the same thing but now I'm just confused on the situation.

Yeah, if she were in college, it'd be better.

It's not her age that has me concerned. It's more a case of 'what the heck can a school girl and a college sstudent have in common?'

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Addle - you have been around the PI/RI forums long enough by now to know that in-thread digs like that are not acceptable in these forums, and that if you can't post constructively, to not post at all. Considering that you have received warnings in the past about posts like this, next time it's an infraction.

Regards,
    Mike

Yeah, if she were in college, it'd be better.

It's not her age that has me concerned. It's more a case of 'what the heck can a school girl and a college sstudent have in common?'

I'm not in college I work but I'm planning on going back to education next year and redoing one or two subjects on the L.C. Look I know it's strange but we have plenty in common we seem to be on the same wavelength and as I said she really is well tuned in and had a good head on her shoulders and more importantly she makes me happy and I think I make her happy too.

I'm not in college I work but I'm planning on going back to education next year and redoing one or two subjects on the L.C. Look I know it's strange but we have plenty in common we seem to be on the same wavelength and as I said she really is well tuned in and had a good head on her shoulders and more importantly she makes me happy and I think I make her happy too.
    So give it a shot then but I could near guarantee it won't last very long.

Ok so you're a working adult, she's a schoolgirl. I'd personally consider that quite strange (and I went out with a 23 year old when I was 16, so I'm saying it from experience, it's hard to have a relationship when you're at such different stages in life).

You don't need to defend yourself to me. If you like her, you like her.

However, despite you defending your relationship, you came here for opinions/advice, so obviously you're worried about the age difference on some level.

There's a six year age gap between myself and my boyfriend (he's 30, I'm 24). Thing is though, we're both finished college, both been working for years, both on similar paths in life.

The difference in ages becomes less important as you get older, but while she's still in school, many will find it odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

If you feel you're both equals in the relationship, then go for it. I went out with a 23/24 year old when I'd just turned 18 (we might've even started going out when I was 17) and I didn't feel his equal and although I do remember fancying him and he was a nice fella, we'd fook all to talk about sober and I was nervous around him because of his age (I didn't want to seem childish). I also didn't tell him I was a virgin when we slept together so I wouldn't seem so young. I look back now and wonder what the hell he was doing with someone so immature who he couldn't have a decent conversation with. I was also in 5th year and he was working.

If you feel you get along and she seems comfortable around you and you're on an equal footing, I'd say go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

If you are ok with it fair enough, but the life experiences gap is in my opinion huge. I wouldn't be ok with my daughter if I had children going out with someone that much older, not because of any prudish beliefs, but because she has a leaving cert coming up, she's at a very influential period in her life and lastly because I would be wondering what a 21 year old man wants with a 17 year old school girl.

Ok so you're a working adult, she's a schoolgirl. I'd personally consider that quite strange (and I went out with a 23 year old when I was 16, so I'm saying it from experience, it's hard to have a relationship when you're at such different stages in life).

You don't need to defend yourself to me. If you like her, you like her.

However, despite you defending your relationship, you came here for opinions/advice, so obviously you're worried about the age difference on some level.

There's a six year age gap between myself and my boyfriend (he's 30, I'm 24). Thing is though, we're both finished college, both been working for years, both on similar paths in life.

The difference in ages becomes less important as you get older, but while she's still in school, many will find it odd.

Yes I am to an extent like this is the 1st time I've been in a situation like this and it's scary. I know it might look like I'm making excuses but despite her age she is more mature than most of my mates and nearly all the girls I work with and has real ambition in life and is really career focused and yours and everyone else's advice is very helpful. This question is the reason I set up this account in the 1st place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It really depends on your personalities. She is at a different stage in her life than you are. A person's outlook changes hugely when they leave school and hugely again when the leave college. Are you happy to essentially wait for her to do her leaving and go through college.

I wouldn't be as negative as others here as I was in the same boat as you are many years ago and dated a girl for 4 years who was just 18 and still in school whereas I was working. I have no regrets about getting involved in it but you need to go in with your eyes open. She has important years ahead of her that often needs focus away from a relationship.

I guess my advice is to go with it if you are enjoying each others company but not to get serious serious for another few years (if that makes sense).

• Advertisement

If you are ok with it fair enough, but the life experiences gap is in my opinion huge. I wouldn't be ok with my daughter if I had children going out with someone that much older, not because of any prudish beliefs, but because she has a leaving cert coming up, she's at a very influential period in her life and lastly because I would be wondering what a 21 year old man wants with a 17 year old school girl.[/quote

Surely they'd have to give me a chance and see how I treat her. I know it's not an ideal situation but when in life do things go exactly as planned. I'm sure if they were iffy about it and they were willing to see what I'm like I could change there minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I met my partner when 17 and he was 23 going on 24. There is about 6 and a half years between us. Together nearly 10 years now and very happy.

So it can definitely work if there is mutual really strong feelings there, however I will say this. Sometimes I feel a little bit like I settled down very early and missed out on some of the crazy fun college lifestyle thing as we lived together when I moved to college. I of course don't regret it as we love each other so much, but occasionally I think I would of preferred if we first met when I was finished college so I could have experienced life/independence as a single adult before settling down. It's not just about the partying thing either, just the experience of being alone and completely independent is something I've not had which I feel that maybe I've missed out on something there?

Of course I would not trade my partner for all the silly nights partying in the world as he is worth so much more than that, but it is an occasional twinge of "I wonder what it would have been like" that I get occasionally. I don't have kids but sometimes I hear people who had kids when they were very young say that they of course don't regret having their kid and love them dearly, but if they had the choice again they would have preferred to been a bit older having them. I think occasionally it is something like that that I feel.

It is just something to consider on your girlfriend's behalf, but yes your relationship could work if you both have enough similarities and genuine strong feelings for each other. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Park it for a few years. If it's meant to be it will still be meant to be when she's 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,141 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's more a case of 'what the heck can a school girl and a college sstudent have in common?'

Uhm..... Academics?????

:rolleyes:

My view: fcuk it. Age doesn't matter as much as commonalities and common interests.

I'm 26 years old but I'm in University, having gone back for a retry after dropping out in the past. I've been talking to a girl lately who is 19 years old, taking the same level of course work that I am, etc. - having things in common with one another is somewhat more important than age.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pugsnotdrugs13

I'm 19 and my boyfriend is 30.. 11 years of an age difference.. What do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I think there's a big difference between a 17 year old and a 19 year old.

I'm 19 and my boyfriend is 30.. 11 years of an age difference.. What do ye think?
    I would say he is using you just for sex and it will not last any amount of time.

But everyone is different so no real way to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

As long as you both are into each other,it's no one else's business.

As they say age is just a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭pugsnotdrugs13

Holsten wrote: »
    I would say he is using you just for sex and it will not last any amount of time.

But everyone is different so no real way to know.

I don't really think he's using me because I always find myself wanting sex more than him (lol). But he's really immature for his age I think he has a bit of Peter Pan Syndrome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,372 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think age gaps can work my mam was 19 when she met my dad who was 30/31 at the time. They have both achieved what they wanted and were recently married 33 years. So it can work and back then some people did make a big deal out of the age difference all they did was ignored it and got on with things because they were happy and in love.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement