Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excessive Bank Charges in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

Banks make the excuse that they are a business................so every chance they get to nip some money..they will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

chrysagon wrote: »
    Banks make the excuse that they are a business................so every chance they get to nip some money..they will

Are you saying they are not a business?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

No fees eh??!!

You must love your job in the bank only they get to bank with no fees.

Everybody else are subject to fees that's how they make their money off the rest of us.

So why don't you try your voodoo elsewhere... It ain't working and I'm right and people are entitled to know the out right rip offs that are going on in our society and the likes of you won't stop it.

I'm a student in Ireland so no fees except fory mistakes such as overdrawn or direct debit bounce.

I have a Canadian account with fees though, pretty standard don't mind paying for a service. As stated fee is set high to deter people from losing control of there finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Hammer of the Gods

The volume of justification and obedience is a clear indicator of where we are ... Right where they want us. Just head down and keep grazing on what they feed us.

Well not all think that way, never forget that.

There is no justification for what the big corporations/governments are doing to the nations of the world.

It's gonna change when you can graze no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

I'm just surprised the vendor takes the hit of 8.50 and says nothing
    Check the next bill from your vendor. I'd be very surprised if they don't sting you for a tenner also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Hammer of the Gods

No Pants wrote: »
    Check the next bill from your vendor. I'd be very surprised if they don't sting you for a tenner also.

I actually discussed this with my vendor and they agreed with me that it was unjustified and excessive. They won't be passing it on to me.

I will be keeping an eye on it though just incase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

chrysagon wrote: »
    Banks are a business. They're a money shop; they buy and sell money. If you view them that way, it'll all make much more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 UNP3

"So that makes it ok to fleece people because they agree to T&Cs years ago?"

This annoys me hearing this war cry against the banks. It is your responsibilty to make yourself aware of changes to terms and conditions and charges over all these years. Thats why its called a personal bank account / personal loan/ persoanl credit card etc etc I have no doubt the bank notified you of every single change and you just did not take the time to read, object or change provider until last week when you got hit with this charge. Prices are high for missed debits but it does have to pay for an infrastructure that on a whole provides the majority with a service that is relativly cheap with the majority of transactions going through to a point so seamlessly that many of us can just forget our DD in the knowledge the payment will come out on the chosen date. If it didnt work this well we would not all be using it.

Now i know your going to create some mad argument that dismisses this by claiming i am another one of the lazy Irish sheeple. But get real the terms and conditions dont just apply when they suit. The bank is a business not your friend. They are going to try to make money of you at every turn and if you can not have the responsability or accountability to be aware of potential ways they can get money out of you then you are going to get charged in excess. Here is a better idea. Cancel all your direct debits and get a few people to do it with you. Take the time to find out what you are paying out and take a few minutes to pay these manually. It gives you better control and awareness of where your money is and how much money you have and best of all if enough of us do it this way and stop being lazy about our finances the bank will start losing money on direct debits and have to make new and better offers to incentivise people to use them again.

I have cancelled them all and now pay attention to all my bills when they come in, as a result i have made money as i have noticed when companies are overcharging me or trying to rip me off and there is no chance of the bank getting extra money off me unless I mess things up and withdraw more money then I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Weaselfeatures

Yesterday I check my BOI account online and notice I was charged €12.70 euros for an unpaid direct debit. This charge is applied when your account has insufficient funds to cover the transaction, I'm sure it's happened to us all at some time or another .

Anyway I discussed this with the vendor ( my car insurance company ) and it turns out they are also charged to the tune of € 8.50 euros for the same transaction. So in total that's 20 euros for ...what is a computerised/ automated item. I believe there is no justification to be over charged by this amount.
    I mean perhaps € 2.50 or something like that but €20 is incredible and unfair and my vender agreed. I phoned my bank to discuss and I got the usual dribble " it's in the terms and conditions etc" well you know what I disagree with your terms and conditions and as a customer I am unhappy and wish to complain.
    I insisted they she log my call as a complaint. I am going to draft a template letter of complaint on this very matter to my bank and I offer anyone who wants a copy PM me and I will forward to you.

We as a nation have become great at whinging and bitching about things but rarely do we do it in the correct manner and pen a letter for example ,so lets start here and who knows where it will take us. we have power in numbers. Thank you. My gas supplier is next. Stay tuned

How can you say you are being overcharged? Do you know what the cost of handling the exception is? And before you say it, I do not work in an a Irish bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

No fees eh??!!

You must love your job in the bank only they get to bank with no fees.

Everybody else are subject to fees that's how they make their money off the rest of us.

So why don't you try your voodoo elsewhere... It ain't working and I'm right and people are entitled to know the out right rip offs that are going on in our society and the likes of you won't stop it.

I don't work in a bank and I don't pay fees. never have done in over 30 yrs of banking in PTSB (or TSB in the old days). get salary paid in directly to bank - no fees. some banks have minimum balance and there are no fees. manage your transactions properly - NO FEES.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭ps3man

The volume of justification and obedience is a clear indicator of where we are ... Right where they want us. Just head down and keep grazing on what they feed us.

Well not all think that way, never forget that.

There is no justification for what the big corporations/governments are doing to the nations of the world.

It's gonna change when you can graze no more.

Did you have your tin foil hat on when you wrote this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

IMO Irish banks are awful.

The online banking is terrible, the service is terrible. The IT is terrible.

Sticking some ad in the newspaper on new charges constitutes informing the customer (when they could have just sent you an e-mail)

My Dutch bank is miles ahead, I can do everything online with my phone or laptop.

I pay a flat monthly fee for my banking that applies to anywhere in the world.

Closed my Irish account and never looked back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Lord PuppyMcSnuggle of Cuddleshire

The volume of justification and obedience is a clear indicator of where we are
    Yeah, it's a funny thread alright. Really makes me want to start a business. By the looks of things, I could write anything I want in the T&C's and people will be falling over themselves to defend it. :D
    I mean it's your own fault you didn't have your team of lawyers look over the terms before signing up to my service. Now if you want me to stop washing your car every week, you have to pay me €200 to end our contract. Hey, I'm a business not a charity, so every morally repugnant thing I do is justified... that's how it works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

My Dutch bank is miles ahead, I can do everything online with my phone or laptop.

I pay a flat monthly fee for my banking that applies to anywhere in the world.

I can do all that, and I pay no monthly fees. So in keeping with the tone, Dutch banks are a disgraceful rip off charging you a flat monthly fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I can do all that, and I pay no monthly fees. So in keeping with the tone, Dutch banks are a disgraceful rip off charging you a flat monthly fee.

3.26 a month for 2 Current A/Cs, a Joint Savings A/C and a Personals Savings A/C

Also worldwide banking so no fees for withdrawal from ATMs/Bank Transfers anywhere in the world.

I haven't had to visit a branch in 5 years.

Yes a total rip off :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

€3.26 is more expensive than 0.

And I did say my comment of it being a rip off was in keeping with the tone of the thread, i.e. exaggerated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Keith, that's all well and good for people who travel a lot, but for most that benefit would be moot.

Advertisement