Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Excessive Bank Charges in Ireland

Options
  • 14-03-2014 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Yesterday I check my BOI account online and notice I was charged €12.70 euros for an unpaid direct debit. This charge is applied when your account has insufficient funds to cover the transaction, I'm sure it's happened to us all at some time or another .

Anyway I discussed this with the vendor ( my car insurance company ) and it turns out they are also charged to the tune of € 8.50 euros for the same transaction. So in total that's 20 euros for ...what is a computerised/ automated item. I believe there is no justification to be over charged by this amount.
    I mean perhaps € 2.50 or something like that but €20 is incredible and unfair and my vender agreed. I phoned my bank to discuss and I got the usual dribble " it's in the terms and conditions etc" well you know what I disagree with your terms and conditions and as a customer I am unhappy and wish to complain.
    I insisted they she log my call as a complaint. I am going to draft a template letter of complaint on this very matter to my bank and I offer anyone who wants a copy PM me and I will forward to you.

We as a nation have become great at whinging and bitching about things but rarely do we do it in the correct manner and pen a letter for example ,so lets start here and who knows where it will take us. we have power in numbers. Thank you. My gas supplier is next. Stay tuned

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Yesterday I check my BOI account online and notice I was charged €12.70 euros for an unpaid direct debit. This charge is applied when your account has insufficient funds to cover the transaction, I'm sure it's happened to us all at some time or another .

Anyway I discussed this with the vendor ( my car insurance company ) and it turns out they are also charged to the tune of € 8.50 euros for the same transaction. So in total that's 20 euros for ...what is a computerised/ automated item. I believe there is no justification to be over charged by this amount.
    I mean perhaps € 2.50 or something like that but €20 is incredible and unfair and my vender agreed. I phoned my bank to discuss and I got the usual dribble " it's in the terms and conditions etc" well you know what I disagree with your terms and conditions and as a customer I am unhappy and wish to complain.
    I insisted they she log my call as a complaint. I am going to draft a template letter of complaint on this very matter to my bank and I offer anyone who wants a copy PM me and I will forward to you.

We as a nation have become great at whinging and bitching about things but rarely do we do it in the correct manner and pen a letter for example ,so lets start here and who knows where it will take us. we have power in numbers. Thank you. My gas supplier is next. Stay tuned

I suspect you indicated otherwise when opening your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Hammer of the Gods

Valetta wrote: »
    I suspect you indicated otherwise when opening your account.

Great contribution thank you so much.

What? I indicated otherwise when I opened my account all those years ago in punts that it was ok to overcharge me in DD fees.

No I did not but you know that already.

When you open a bank account you must agree to their terms and conditions, which will include their various charged.

Also included is an undertaking that you will have sufficient funds in your account to meet any direct debits or standing orders.

You broke the conditions and were charged accordingly.

In my opinion you don't have any valid complaint.

When you open a bank account you must agree to their terms and conditions, which will include their various charged.

Also included is an undertaking that you will have sufficient funds in your account to meet any direct debits or standing orders.

You broke the conditions and were charged accordingly.

In my opinion you don't have any valid complaint.

So that makes it ok to fleece people because they agree to T&Cs years ago?

And btw Im not asking for your opinion and you sound just like a drone on the line from the bank...T&Cs blah blah blah.....

Perhaps you work for a bank?

In fact don't answer that just jog on from this thread because Ive had enough from people like you and your negative sheeple views and out look on matters like these.

I feel sorry for you guys actually...Happy jogging mate and take care :)

Please don't reply just move along....

I'll reply right here.

It's not "fleecing" when you are made aware of the charges and how to avoid them.

Perhaps if you managed your finances a bit better you would not have the need to come on here whinging.

• Advertisement

I'll reply right here.

It's not "fleecing" when you are made aware of the charges and how to avoid them.

Perhaps if you managed your finances a bit better you would not have the need to come on here whinging.

Keep jog trolling buddy I aint listening to you dronish dribble. :) Have a nice day

Has anybody else experienced this overcharging by your banks? I'm just raising awareness of what I believe are excessive charges.

And I do appreciate the PMs I've received on this topic and don't worry I wont pay much attention to these sheeple drones who post negative dribble about T&Cs etc.

I am really curious as to why the venders also get charged a punishment fee also?

Any thoughts on this? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Has anybody else experienced this overcharging by your banks? I'm just raising awareness of what I believe are excessive charges.

And I do appreciate the PMs I've received on this topic and don't worry I wont pay much attention to these sheeple drones who post negative dribble about T&Cs etc.

I am really curious as to why the venders also get charged a punishment fee also?

Any thoughts on this? Thanks
    if i overdraw my account i get charged similar charges.
    but I have an overdraft facilty arranged so this isnt an issue.

To be honest, even when I was 15 and had my Ulster bank account I knew it was deadly expensive to overdraw your current account without having the appropriate arrangements in place.
    I'm stunned that you werent aware of these charges which are completly standard and have been for at least 20years, but probably a multiple of that again.

if i overdraw my account i get charged similar charges.
    but I have an overdraft facilty arranged so this isnt an issue.

To be honest, even when I was 15 and had my Ulster bank account I knew it was deadly expensive to overdraw your current account without having the appropriate arrangements in place.
    I'm stunned that you werent aware of these charges which are completly standard and have been for at least 20years, but probably a multiple of that again.

No don't get me wrong I knew there was a charge on the account if there was no funds but what Ive had enough of is the excessive nature of the charge for what is automated, 12.70 euros is outrageous don't you agree Utd? And 8.50 euros fee for my vendor also! Its way to much and Im not happy about it.

Im in the process of drafting a template letter to send to the bank as a complaint, If anyone wants a copy just PM me.

Enough is Enough.... Just because it exists doesn't mean we have to accept without question, challenger or refusal.

Thanks for your post Utd.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I miss the Thunderdome.

I'm going to side with the OP. I understand the need for bank charges. I understand that they will charge me for a failed Direct Debit or what not. However, the amount they charge is.... a little difficult to justify.

• Advertisement

Ranger, yes the excessive nature is far too much, I'm just surprised the vendor takes the hit of 8.50 and says nothing ,in total 20.00 euros for a missed DD. My car insurance DD is for 28.00 euros a month and they charged 20 euros as a penaltyfor missing it....

Just how much are they making on people because of this...its just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭lau1247

i think the bonuses etc they got would have give you some indication.. kidding..

In all seriousness, unless you want to open and operate your own bank, there is not much you can do as you sign on to their terms and conditions. The only solution is to find one that does it cheapest.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Yes Lau they would appear to have it sussed but Id say if enough people complain and vote with their feet then things will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

You have my support op. 20 euro is too much. And they will keep charging that until they are challenged on it.

Also I admire people who before they sign a legal document take the time to read the terms and conditions. I've generally never done it.

That's for sure Emo, they will do it until challenged on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Would love to see how they break the charge down, how it costs them. Taking the piss and i guarantee you it will only ever increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

Ranger, yes the excessive nature is far too much, I'm just surprised the vendor takes the hit of 8.50 and says nothing ,in total 20.00 euros for a missed DD. My car insurance DD is for 28.00 euros a month and they charged 20 euros as a penaltyfor missing it....

Just how much are they making on people because of this...its just wrong.

so you don't have enough money in you account, the bank imposes a penalty on you, partly to offset their costs and partly to try and get you not to do it again and you complain?

Charges are published. You can view them whenever you wish. By using the account you have effectively accepted the very clear terms and conditions which included these charges (they are not hidden). And you have an issue with them.

Don't go overdrawn then!

A quick check shows in the USA it ranges from $30 - $40 (US Bank = $36), in the UK its £20-£25. (Barclays £24.50)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Would love to see how they break the charge down, how it costs them. Taking the piss and i guarantee you it will only ever increase.

IT infrastructure for Banking does not come cheep.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The penalty fine is set high as otherwise there's no deterrent to missing your DD, just be happy that they rejected due to lack of funds and didn't let an unauthorised overdraft happen then you'd have really high penalty charges.

The DD may be automated but missing it causes work for the bank.

I think you lot are missing the point, the whole system is set, I've no issue with a small charge but I refuse to lay down and be ripped off, maybe you guys are and with attitude like that maybe you deserve all you get... Sheeple attitude...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I think you lot are missing the point, the whole system is set, I've no issue with a small charge but I refuse to lay down and be ripped off, maybe you guys are and with attitude like that maybe you deserve all you get... Sheeple attitude...

I do deserve everything I get. No fees. I play by the terms and conditions I agreed to and therefore control my finances.

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    I do deserve everything I get. No fees. I play by the terms and conditions I agreed to and therefore control my finances.

No fees eh??!!

You must love your job in the bank only they get to bank with no fees.

Everybody else are subject to fees that's how they make their money off the rest of us.

So why don't you try your voodoo elsewhere... It ain't working and I'm right and people are entitled to know the out right rip offs that are going on in our society and the likes of you won't stop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

No fees eh??!!

You must love your job in the bank only they get to bank with no fees.

Everybody else are subject to fees that's how they make their money off the rest of us.

So why don't you try your voodoo elsewhere... It ain't working and I'm right and people are entitled to know the out right rip offs that are going on in our society and the likes of you won't stop it.

Its already been demonstrated further up the thread that the fees are there to be a deterrent and are in fact more expensive in other jurisdictions. Clearly it works, as your pretty sore now that you paid 12.70.

Why not start a moan about how much it takes to get a clamp removed? I mean it does not cost a guy €120 to put the clamp on your car, so therefore its a rip off? No its not, its an effective deterrent, its not just about covering costs.

And the moment someone mentions 'sheeple', i despair.

Actually Pablo you couldn't be more wrong on this, how can you compare a computerized/automated charge by a bank to having to pay labour to a clamper, provide a van and equipment etc.

As for your sheeple despair , I hope you do despair because you are part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 coffeenut

OP, as a couple of people have already mentioned, the charge isn't just to cover costs. The charge is also there as a deterrent so that people don't frequently allow payments to be presented and bounced from their accounts. While I don't agree with some bank charges, e.g. paying to set up a standing order or to use an ATM, I have absolutely no issue with a bank charging a penalty fee like this for that exact reason.

On the cost side of things, the IT systems behind all of these automated transactions cost millions to support and maintain. Or do you think that once the systems are set up they run by themselves, problem free? It's fairly obvious that they're not flawless systems when you look back over the last couple of years and the number of news articles about various IT failures across the banking industry. They require a lot of manpower in the background to keep them running.

On top of that, the decision to bounce a payment isn't always made by a computer. In some cases it can land on someones desk for them to decide whether to bounce the payment or to allow you an unauthorised overdraft, which incurs a smaller fee. Generally, it will depend on your account history which way they decide to go and the person who makes that decision has to be paid a wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Actually Pablo you couldn't be more wrong on this, how can you compare a computerized/automated charge by a bank to having to pay labour to a clamper, provide a van and equipment etc.

As for your sheeple despair , I hope you do despair because you are part of the problem.

I'm sorry, but are you 12? Either switch to a different bank or stop moaning. You signed the T&C's, you clearly didn't read them and now you're complaining. You might think the cost is excessive (it probably is, depending on your disposable income) but you seem to forget that you AGREED to it many moons ago when you opened your account. Close your account, and find a new bank. Read their T & C's carefully. Stop calling people 'sheeple' because they disagree. Problem solved.

Butter it up what ever way you want, it's automated and excessive and the longer we allow it the worse it will get. I've had enough of it and decided to do something about it.

Those who accept this type of rip off and do nothing about it need to wake up. Those who justify and accept without question are clearly part of the problem. Am I twelve, you obviously are... Yes sir, no sir 3 bags full sir, wake up.

Those who accept this type of rip off and do nothing about it need to wake up. Those who justify and accept without question are clearly part of the problem. Am I twelve, you obviously are... Yes sir, no sir 3 bags full sir, wake up.

It's not a rip off when you know in advance how much the charges are and you have a very simple way of avoiding then.

You need to take responsibility for your actions and accept the consequences when you breach the terms you agreed to.

• Advertisement

Yep, same old dribble about T&Cs as if that makes it ok. Well it doesn't simple as that.

I again offer anyone who wishes to recieve a copy of my letter of complaint to PM me and I will gladly forward. The more people who complain the greater weight to our argument and refusal to take anymore rip off Ireland :)

Advertisement