Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Late Late Show: March 14th 2014

Options
  • 14-03-2014 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭

Happy talkin', talkin Happy talk
    Talk about things you'd like to do
    You've got to have a dream
    If you don't have a dream
    How you gonna have a dream come true?

Yes, it's time once again for the weekly procession of Z Listers, the recently bereaved, the terminally ill and whoever won the booby prize in the RTE Canteen this week.

Firstly, Happy St Patricks Day Weekend to you all. I hope the sun shines on you all and whatever you indulge in puts a smile on your face. You wouldn't want to rely on the LLS to be your primary source of entertainment this week ...

session.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSz_avbi5TF030t0ztrTnvyfTssUd9qUb4LOI084zZw7DOLdig3images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRscdp8_L_JpZMEo34bK2UxKvPFD8E9EPYoJdO48T4a66-HbAM4images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSU1L4pdOODdFVcRdTQLiwNkmvyaDZVApTzZVIndiiaT1a0dHRwFg

And now back to business, he was on this programme on January 10th, but for some reason former Westlife singer and current King of The Jungle Kian Egan is back. Last time he spoke about how spending two weeks in a Reality TV Show changed his life. He'll plug his solo tour and The Voice, and whatever Road to Damascus experience he has had this week.

The family of the late Christine Buckley will be on the show. She is of course the courageous survivor of the Goldenbridge Industrial School who campaigned and brought details of the abuse carried out there to public attention. She died on Tuesday.

One contestant from I'm a Celebrity Get me out of here is bad enough, two is ridiculous. Someone called Joey Essex has come over to plug his ITV2 programme. Gay Byrne would be turning in his grave
    if he was dead

Comedian Jason Byrne is on. His BBC show sank like a stone. He was only on this show on December 6th last. You can read my thoughts about why I don't like him here

So there you go, there's also something about "a special musical opening" Maybe a musical reinactment of the famine, who knows?

Update Also on the show is Model turned Sky Sports News Presenter Rachel Wyse And music from middling trad band The High Kings
    and American Country Group Rascal Flatts

Here's a nice 15 minute compilation of Gay Byrne's time at the LLS to ease the pain

(The puppy and kitty refused to take part in this OP as a protest at the reappearance of Kian Egan)

Does anyone find Jason Byrne funny? 18 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Why are you watching it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ha ha, best OP ever.

Jason Byrne again, eh? I swear to jesus.

Still, you know what they say, the worse the guestlist, the better the thread.

Looking forward to it! :-D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

kneemos wrote: »

I watch in the hope that some day there will be a good show.

Two weeks ago the eurosong as an example was great and I reallyenjoyed it.

*Unfortunately it is far and few between that I do enjoy :(

*generally the show is sh1t (technical term)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Ps. Why you watching it?

You like Kian Egan (again)? You like Joey somebody trashy or other? You like Jason Byrne (again)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Ha ha, best OP ever.

Jason Byrne again, eh? I swear to jesus.

Still, you know what they say, the worse the guestlist, the better the thread.

Looking forward to it! :-D
    Definitely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was watching Joey Essex (The Only Way Is Essex) on the British Comedy Awards on Channel 4 a while back.

All I can say by looking at him with his girlfriend alone, he is a washed up gob***te.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

tumblr_m8gybq9k7E1r0j8nh.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Skid you are the master thread opener.:D:D:D

You need to follow at least one thread to understand.:D:D:D At the end of a long week a good laugh is required, as you can tell from the opening post and subsequent posts, this is were you can find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Jason Byrne would be on the rent a guest list.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭NormanNicetouch

So Kian Egan who was only on 2 months ago and Jason Byrne who was only on 3 months ago. The timeframe for recycling guests seems to be getting shorter and shorter. And yet Twink hasn't been on since her tipsy turn on the 50th Anniversary Show in 2012 I believe. Isn't it time they brought her back? At least she's always a bit of craic. Unlike Jason Byrne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Also togging out tonight are Sky Sports News Presenter/Model Rachel Wyse, with The High Kings and Rascal Flatts.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,118 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So Kian Egan who was only on 2 months ago and Jason Byrne who was only on 3 months ago. The timeframe for recycling guests seems to be getting shorter and shorter. And yet Twink hasn't been on since her tipsy turn on the 50th Anniversary Show in 2012 I believe. Isn't it time they brought her back? At least she's always a bit of craic. Unlike Jason Byrne.

Is Kian on tonight too I thought it was Joey only from IAC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

What mystical hold does Jason Byrne have on the LLS show producers? When I think of him I think of talking loud, arm and hand gestures and flat one liners. I'd feel sorry for him if he wasn't always getting so much undue exposure. Maybe RTE have commissioned a new show for him?
    Kian started the new radio show recently so I guess its another case of an RTE personality* interviewing an RTE personality...which is pretty much the Jason Byrne interview too.
    *disclaimer: calling Tubbs an RTE personality in no way states that Tubbs has a personality.

Having Christine Buckley's Family on:

Back in the days of Gay, even Pat: Good solid interview on the topic of institutional child abuse, how it affected Christine, the good works she did and the tragedy for her family and supporters losing her followed by a chat on how her legacy might live on to help those who suffered in silence.

Tubbs: "Ah, jaysus, Cancer...terrible isn't it. She must have been in woeful pain. How long did she suffer?"

Said it before, the LLS just uses the grief and misery of others as filler. It's awful for all concerned, viewers included.

So coupled with some Z list reality 'stars', 'stars' meaning people some producers used to fill a 'show', we've Rascal Flats...not my thing, but they are good at their thing.
    It's the missed opportunities isn't it? All the things that make Tubbs run and hide would have made legendary LLS. The Eurovision fight could have been most of the show for instance. Ah, well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I too am intrigued why you all watch it.

Hoping for a show to get better, whilst you give such poor lineups the necessary viewing figures.

I beg you to give the ratings to something more deserving. :-)

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Kian on tonight too

Yeah, he will be performing his new song.

symbolic wrote: »
    I too am intrigued why you all watch it.

Hoping for a show to get better, whilst you give such poor lineups the necessary viewing figures.

I beg you to give the ratings to something more deserving. :-)

After 10 years on Boards, that's your first post on the TV Forum. You never had anything to contribute to any thread until you felt this nugget was worthy of losing your televisual virginity?

Oh well, I refer you to posts 4, 8 and 9.

Skid X wrote: »
    After 10 years on Boards, that's your first post on the TV Forum. You never had anything to contribute to any thread until you felt this nugget was worthy of losing your televisual virginity?

Oh well, I refer you to posts 4, 8 and 9.

I was genuinely intrigued. I will read posts 4,8 and 9 in detail. Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 366 ✭✭Juan_Mata

Looking forward to the thread, I'm 22...I shouldn't be looking forward to the LLS on a Friday night. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 71,710 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Was about to race to the nearest music-purchasing internets site to buy Kian's new album, until I heard the album review section on 'Arena' on Radio 1.

Both critics gave the album 0 out of 5...sorry, Kian! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71,710 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

• Advertisement

Didn't Kian tell the 1D lads not to go solo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Juan_Mata wrote: »
    Looking forward to the thread, I'm 22...I shouldn't be looking forward to the LLS on a Friday night. :pac:

Leave this place, it's too late for us :)

I'll tell yis why...
    The Toy Show. Everybody and their Auntie watches the Toy Show. Why? It's tradition. Its part of the run up to Christmas. It can be light hearted craic and you can hate on the Billie Barry kids.
    Now, the regular weekly LLS, similar to an extent. It use to be pretty good most of the time. Sometimes amazing, rarely boring anyway.
    What Tubbs lacks in style, flair, charisma, believability, talent, looks, journalism, presenting, knowledge, wit, showmanship...he makes up by looking a little either confused or scared and occasionally putting his foot right in it. It's more a case of waiting to see how bad the thing will be and how Tubbs will trip himself up. I honestly think at this point we'd be bored if he had a good show, well interviewed with interesting guests. It's like you go to the circus to see the Clown slip on a banana. You don't really want to see him put the pie down and be all intellectual.

For Reals wrote: »
    Leave this place, it's too late for us :)

I'll tell yis why...
    The Toy Show. Everybody and their Auntie watches the Toy Show. Why? It's tradition. Its part of the run up to Christmas. It can be light hearted craic and you can hate on the Billie Barry kids.
    Now, the regular weekly LLS, similar to an extent. It use to be pretty good most of the time. Sometimes amazing, rarely boring anyway.
    What Tubbs lacks in style, flair, charisma, believability, talent, looks, journalism, presenting, knowledge, wit, showmanship...he makes up by looking a little either confused or scared and occasionally putting his foot right in it. It's more a case of waiting to see how bad the thing will be and how Tubbs will trip himself up. I honestly think at this point we'd be bored if he had a good show, well interviewed with interesting guests. It's like you go to the circus to see the Clown slip on a banana. You don't really want to see him put the pie down and be all intellectual.

That's fair enough :-) it is a shame, but that's entertainment I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Because it is an Irish institution to sit in and watch it.

Unfortunately Tubridy has turned it in to a train wreck :mad:

How many clips will we get tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

And Skid... dont forget the usual jingoistic nonsense he'll no doubt start with.. Something like "best of luck to ireland tomorrow" followed by a youtube clip of a dancing shamrock... And our Peter Pan-footed presenter will follow up with something like "Oh I'll be glued to the couch tomorrow watching that match, to be sure, to be sure"... When in reality, at 33 Tubridy Terrace tomorrow afternoon he will be glued to the couch.. Watching his Buffy The Vampire Slayer Boxset and googling for pictures of Saoirse Ronan's 20th birthday party..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ah, now...i kinda like Tubbs! *ducks*

Actually, a better way of putting that is I don't really dislike Tubbs.

Whoever the hell lines up the guests is the problem.

Oh, and most people here watch it cos the thread is gas. Wouldn't be bothered with it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Rachel wyse was on last year yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Evening all, line up looks fairly sh1te but I'm jet lagged after me holliers so it might send me into a nice deep sleep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

any chance of Lord Windermere putting in an appearance? :)

Advertisement