Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the best diet for finishing cattle

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

I know that but you need some

Really why?
    I've finished lots of bulls on ad lib maize crimp and fibre.
    Best ration I've ever used. No protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

sheebadog wrote: »
    Really why?
    I've finished lots of bulls on ad lib maize crimp and fibre.
    Best ration I've ever used. No protein.

There should be some protein in the maize. I assume you mean that you don't have something added for its protein content rather than its energy content.
    That said I thought bulls would need protein in the diet particularly as they have to grow frames and finish in a short time.
    I don't doubt that you've done it I'm just wondering how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭farmingmad10

Have rarely ever seen finishers not feed cattle without any protein. Meat is protein it can't be put on animals if the dietary protein is insufficient

There should be some protein in the maize. I assume you mean that you don't have something added for its protein content rather than its energy content.
    That said I thought bulls would need protein in the diet particularly as they have to grow frames and finish in a short time.
    I don't doubt that you've done it I'm just wondering how.

Last 40 days ad lib maize crimp. Have to be careful of becoming over fat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

sheebadog wrote: »
    Last 40 days ad lib maize crimp. Have to be careful of becoming over fat

That's to put fat cover on. I presume they're on a higher protein diet before that then.

• Advertisement

That's to put fat cover on. I presume they're on a higher protein diet before that then.

Oh yea, growing animals = protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cattle fanatic

Definitely need to watch the fibre content when feeding ration

Advertisement