Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Crossbred Heifer Calves

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Disagree on that,sellers were there from local and parts of limerick ,Clare and Offaly.loads of local buyers especially for the high ebi good type Holsteins .the smaller br freisan x Holstein were a praticuralky hot trade with prices around the 1600 mark.as for ur x Breds saw 3 going through the ring at an earlier sale.only made between 800 and 1000 and very little bidders.demand really isn't there at least in marts for that type of ainmAl

Who buys 3 crossbreds, you need to be selling 30 at least.do you think someone putting a herd of 200 buys them in 2 s and 3 s in the mart.look I dont even breed jersey because dont think they make sence for herds less than 100 cows but if you are getting into larger herds they are the answer.ps I did try breeding jersy crosses but 3 heifers out of twenty seven calves I decided they weren't for me with my luck

• Registered Users Posts: 46 charleysurf

just wondering why xbreds don't make since in herds of less than 100 or limited land base? I've 80 acres of marginal land with 85 xbreds on it. I wouldn't dream of using a HO with that type of land. its not all about the output, its more about how efficiently you can produce it that matters no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Gillespy wrote: »
    How do holstein farmers sell heifers then? If they're that bad, surely he needs them all and more. Bit of a conundrum that.

I think the market has this one spot on.

Seems like u totally misunderstood what I'm trying to say. The subject of my post was the same guys who are buying heifers every yr and can never have enough replacements of their own. You seemed to take it as an attack on Holsteins, which it's not. I probably shouldn't be complaining bout these annual buyers too much either, I need these guys to buy my surplus heifers every yr!

[/B]Much the same or slightly better than the Jex herd in greenfields so. I don't see longevity being much of a selling point based on that trial.

To be fair I thinks it's only the 3rd or 4th yr of the trial in greenfields, so to expect them to have a lot of 4th lactation plus cows might be asking a bit much!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

any mystic megs in use folks think theres a market for X breeds post 2015. was toying up the idea of buying heifers and selling them at calving read for milk, any ideas? or am I mad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

any mystic megs in use folks think theres a market for X breeds post 2015. was toying up the idea of buying heifers and selling them at calving read for milk, any ideas? or am I mad
    Not many want to buy heifers incalf, they want them calved and trouble free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

just wondering why xbreds don't make since in herds of less than 100 or limited land base? I've 80 acres of marginal land with 85 xbreds on it. I wouldn't dream of using a HO with that type of land. its not all about the output, its more about how efficiently you can produce it that matters no?

The theory is that crossbreds strenghts are fertility and labour saving and work well in larger herds.on smaller land bases there is more potential milk in fr butthe calf and the cull also provide extra revenue and there is less pressure on the labour unit so they can spend more time managing the fr.every farm is different but its all about maximising the output at hhighest margin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

To be fair I thinks it's only the 3rd or 4th yr of the trial in greenfields, so to expect them to have a lot of 4th lactation plus cows might be asking a bit much!

Try the start of the 6th season. You couldn't expect many 4th lactation plus cows in a herd with a 30%+ replacement rate though you're right about that bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

What are them dairy crossbred heifer calves making at the moment?

So OP, now that they've all stopped stomping their feet I can tell you that xbred calves are making from 350-450 depending on EBI. They are almost impossible to get as most are pre ordered by UK farmers.
    Most guys have clients taking anything up to 70 bulling heifers at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Not many want to buy heifers incalf, they want them calved and trouble free.

Sorry , I mistyped , I meant selling them calved, would it realistically require a parlour of some kind or another, or even mobile milking unit

• Advertisement

Try the start of the 6th season. You couldn't expect many 4th lactation plus cows in a herd with a 30%+ replacement rate though you're right about that bit.

Wow, I did not realise they've been milking there since 2009. In their defence, or anyone starting out, replacement is bound to be high for the first few yrs. it would be near impossible to start a herd of 300 cows and not have to cull some performers and duds

Advertisement