Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Crossbred Heifer Calves

Options
  • 08-03-2014 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭

What are them dairy crossbred heifer calves making at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Good pbr Holstein heifer calves with good ebi and dams milk records available are making 500 at 2 weeks plus,I reckon x breeds no more than 300

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Good pbr Holstein heifer calves with good ebi and dams milk records available are making 500 at 2 weeks plus,I reckon x breeds no more than 300

Could this be your predjudice speaking or do you actually know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

[/B]
    Could this be your predjudice speaking or do you actually know?

I'd say he might be trying to scope out some of the newer posters.

Nope fact in a yard during week with a guy exiting milk and that was what he was getting for pbr Holstein calves with milk records.my quote in x breeds prices was where I believe market is.i certainly wouldn't pay 300 for a x bred,to be honest I wouldn't even buy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

I sold 10 privately last week for €350 each. just be careful if you are buying make sure that they are bred from high BW bulls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭sheebadog

Nope fact in a yard during week with a guy exiting milk and that was what he was getting for pbr Holstein calves with milk records.my quote in x breeds prices was where I believe market is.i certainly wouldn't pay 300 for a x bred,to be honest I wouldn't even buy one.

Some one exiting milk?why?
    Don't mind Frazzledhome I reckon he loves those xbreds too much!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

sheebadog wrote: »
    Actually have no xbreds but when someone poses a question I'd feel they should get the facts not just someone's opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

The thing has changed this year, used always be more demand for hols heifers but this year there is stronger demand for crossbred in calf heifers.

sheebadog wrote: »

Old age and no heir to the throne .the guy has a smashing herd,spring milk herd average 1750 gallons at 3.90 fat and 3.45 protein last year.he is going cobtract rearing heifers now.300 is what I know a guy is paying for first jex heifer calves out of holx br freisan cows

keep going wrote: »
    The thing has changed this year, used always be more demand for hols heifers but this year there is stronger demand for crossbred in calf heifers.

At show and sale in Nenagh this week over 160 cows sold not one x bred and prices between 1000 and 1950 for freisan cows calved.never seen x Breeds going through the ring.more farm to farm I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I was at a show and sale in Corrin last friday week excellent cows but only very few sold. The sellers were holding out for top price though. In Kanturk yesterday not a great selection of first calvers 900-1200 with many unsold also 2 yr old maiden heifers went to 600 no sale.

Anyone go to the dairy clearance sale in Macroom yesterday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭stanflt

Carmaross averaged 2k on thurs

Well up on two weeks ago

A 22 month old milking heifer made 3750

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

lad on dd with nr x looking for 220

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

At show and sale in Nenagh this week over 160 cows sold not one x bred and prices between 1000 and 1950 for freisan cows calved.never seen x Breeds going through the ring.more farm to farm I'd say
    But who buys at these show and sales only a few easy targets and owners puffing each others stock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

But who buys at these show and sales only a few easy targets and owners puffing each others stock

I would say lads looking to buy milk, esp northern buyers.Each to there own once your making a profit but your average X bred does not look to hot in the ring compared to your milky HO

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

case 956 wrote: »
    lad on dd with nr x looking for 220

Tiny calves judging by the calf tags. What's the target weight for a 2 yr old jersey cross at calving?

Disagree on that,sellers were there from local and parts of limerick ,Clare and Offaly.loads of local buyers especially for the high ebi good type Holsteins .the smaller br freisan x Holstein were a praticuralky hot trade with prices around the 1600 mark.as for ur x Breds saw 3 going through the ring at an earlier sale.only made between 800 and 1000 and very little bidders.demand really isn't there at least in marts for that type of ainmAl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Xbred breeders need to pull the finger out and band together to start inflating the market for themselves. To the uninitiated, it reflects poorly on them what goes on in marts and sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭mf240

Gillespy wrote: »
    Xbred breeders need to pull the finger out and band together to start inflating the market for themselves. To the uninitiated, it reflects poorly on them what goes on in marts and sales.

Their low cost cows so they cost less simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭TossL1916

loveta wrote: »
    your average X bred does not look to hot in the ring compared to your milky HO

Exactly, they dont look too hot, but like with all females, human or bovine, its not all about the looks :p:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

just a toedipper regarding x breeds but couldn`t fault them for compactness, good legs/feet , good bcs and quality udders .. anything else is pure optics

• Registered Users Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Maybe the reason theyre not for sale is lads want to keep them!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Maybe the reason theyre not for sale is lads want to keep them!

Agreed, the few I have I honestly can't fault them, fair enough they might not give the output of a HO in terms of MS, but they calf down and milk away all year with such little labour intervention (and lets face it, the price of labour is insane in Ireland).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Gillespy wrote: »
    The reason the crossbreds don't sell well is the guys who breed them have super fertility and always have an abundance of heifers to sell, cross breeders never have to buy heifers unless they're starting out.
    It's the same guys buying heifers in the mart every yr. The type who never have enough of their own heifers because their fertility is so bad they can't get their cows to hold to first service AI, and end up culling another high % of their cows because they're empty, and yet they can't resist the big strong 3 yr old Holstein, who's only there because she wouldn't go incalf at 15/16 mths, and will probably only last 2/3 lactations anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Gillespy

How do holstein farmers sell heifers then? If they're that bad, surely he needs them all and more. Bit of a conundrum that.

I think the market has this one spot on.

The reason the crossbreds don't sell well is the guys who breed them have super fertility and always have an abundance of heifers to sell, cross breeders never have to buy heifers unless they're starting out.
    It's the same guys buying heifers in the mart every yr. The type who never have enough of their own heifers because their fertility is so bad they can't get their cows to hold to first service AI, and end up culling another high % of their cows because they're empty, and yet they can't resist the big strong 3 yr old Holstein, who's only there because she wouldn't go incalf at 15/16 mths, and will probably only last 2/3 lactations anyway!

Much the same or slightly better than the Jex herd in greenfields so. I don't see longevity being much of a selling point based on that trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 charleysurf

[/B]Much the same or slightly better than the Jex herd in greenfields so. I don't see longevity being much of a selling point based on that trial.

would have thought the xbreds in Greenfields were performing admirably given the level of incompetence in management up there?

would have thought the xbreds in Greenfields were performing admirably given the level of incompetence in management up there?

And the same could be said for many HO cows who only last 2/3 lactations due to poor management of them by their owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 charleysurf

I totally agree, HO when managed correctly will last just as long as any other breed, problem is that level of management just isn't present in a lot of herds in this country and as a result has given HO an unfair fertility stereotype. would it not make a lot more since then for these farmers to downgrade to an animal which is more suitable to their management level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

Some guys are managing their cows really efficiently & some guys aren't, across the board, both Hol Fr & Xbreds & the rest.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose, depending where you are.

At home we have limited land & so we have cows that are Hol Fr 1850-2250 gallon cows (a few either side), I don't think anything else would particularly work for us at the moment.

But some guys have really good systems with Xbreds, Br Fr, Mount, NR etc.

Just wouldn't work for us (might get a few Xbreds anyway - might not always be farming in same place/same system)

Advertisement