Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who has a degree or trade or different occupation aswell as farming

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭munkus

Muckit wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance. ... but is msc a masters in science?

Googled but couldn't find the answer unless ye have all been off serving your time on cruise ships!! :D

Correct! And strangely IT is a science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Fair play to everyone on getting degrees but I'd never be able to sit in an office or sit in college all day sitting at a computer. Never looked school cause I never learned what I wanted to learn. When I went to ag college I loved it. Got to learn and talk about what interested me. Could never see myself doing anything other than milk cows and drive tractors.
    Have a level 7 dairy herd management degree and that's about it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jimmy2pens

Hopefully will have a BSc in a few months, returned to full time education almost 4 years ago. Studied Construction/Engineering 20 years ago and worked in construction until the BANG came. Never thought I'd see the day I'd go back to college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭maxxuumman

jimmy2pens wrote: »
    Hopefully will have a BSc in a few months, returned to full time education almost 4 years ago. Studied Construction/Engineering 20 years ago and worked in construction until the BANG came. Never thought I'd see the day I'd go back to college.

What's your plan with the BSc?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭jimmy2pens

maxxuumman wrote: »
    What's your plan with the BSc?

Not sure yet as to what to get into yet but it could open the door for soil testing, water testing, septic tank inspections, site assessments for new septic tanks and a lot more environmental type stuff, ;)!! Not too many jobs at the minute, the intern scheme is been used to fill the jobs that graduates would normally have filled in the past, :mad:.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭hurling_lad

KCTK wrote: »
    Business degree, chartered accountant, chartered tax advisor, worked for nearly 10 years for some big companies, gave it all up to set up dairying, crazy now to think of the money I left but way happier being my own boss and covered in sh!t (would be even more happy however if I could make as much from farming!!)

Snap! on nearly everything there except that I had a science degree & didn't do the tax exams. And there I was thinking I was unique.

Had barely milked the cows half a dozen times in the 5 years before I chucked in the accounting and went in full time with the old man. Bit of a leap of faith on both sides but going OK two years in.

I'd encourage my young fella to go to college and work at something else before farming too although there's always the danger that he might not want to come back to it for whatever reason. My old fella was 64 before there was a succession plan which probably caused a few sleepless nights and I wouldn't be wild about being in the same position.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Joined the military near enough straight after the leaving cert. part time farm now as well. Didn't go to college as had enough of schooling at that stage of my life and am happier out and about to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

Cultie wrote: »
    Degree in agriculture, small wet farm so did a dip ed and now a full time teacher. Works quite well with the farming with summer off. Keep 40 suckler cows.

Would love to farm full time.

same as that degree in Ag working off farm/ part time sucklers, GF is a maths/science teacher and wanted me to do the H. dip so we could have the same holidays :-)

not sure id have the temperament for teaching, if I did though it'd be ag science, science and maths, loved maths myself in school, got an A1 in leaving cert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

You need something else with farming even apart from the money side, farming is a lonely occupation and is very repetitive. I know guys that are in the same system of farming for 25yrs and I don't know how they don't go round the bend....did nothing here only a couple courses in farming, so never had the qualification, but I see the need for getting away from it...so boring

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

If it's any consolation rancher, the same can be said of any job. It can get boring if you don't 'mix it up'. You either try and change around what your at in your main job or find a new avenue/outlet, a hobby.

It's gas l'd be fit to strangle some of my work colleagues sometimes, but the opposite of this could be the rural isolation and loneliness of lone farm working.

You just got to make the most of what you've got. ...and have plenty of outlets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Muckit wrote: »
    If it's any consolation rancher, the same can be said of any job. It can get boring if you don't 'mix it up'. You either try and change around what your at in your main job or find a new avenue/outlet, a hobby.

It's gas l'd be fit to strangle some of my work colleagues sometimes, but the opposite of this could be the rural isolation and loneliness of lone farm working.

You just got to make the most of what you've got. ...and have plenty of outlets.

One of the main reasons I farm is that it's my outlet from work stress as well as being something I enjoy. Sometimes the frustration with work colleagues can be ready to spill over but after work you can head off to the farm and clear your head.

Ironically its the "very repetitive" nature of farming that's probably the most therapeutic. Walking the fields checking stock, fencing and even bringing in bales will clear the head I find.

Rancher you need to look at it from the opposite angle. Get a job that can frustrate the hell out of you at times and then the farming becomes more bearable. :D ....or is that why you are in the IFA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Joined the military near enough straight after the leaving cert. part time farm now as well. Didn't go to college as had enough of schooling at that stage of my life and am happier out and about to be honest.

Same here. Two weeks after the leaving I was in the bks gates. Roll on 2019 when I'll be leaving the bks for good. In hindsight I really should have went to college if only for the experience. Can't wait to change the magnums for wellies permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Cran

MBS in Economics working full time in finance, at the stage now would pack it in for full time farming even though senior in work and going right way.... Decision will need to be made over next 2/3 years on the amount of land being farmed as continuing current way is not sustainable as a married person.......

• Registered Users Posts: 25 shepherd41

B.Sc as well, working full time in hospital. All I ever wanted to do was farm, but had to get real about how to make a living in 21st century and unfortunately farming isn't it. My father reared 6 children off our farm with my mum at home full time, don't know how he did it! Currently, myself and my wife who is a nurse seem to work every month just to keep our heads above water. Anyway, keep 25 suck cows and have a calving camera, helps with peace of mind.

Ps, how come so many of you all can reply to this forum during work hours lol...I'm on annual leave so don't even start :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

shepherd41 wrote: »
    how come so many of you all can reply to this forum during work hours lol...I'm on annual leave so don't even start :)

Depends what ya call work hours. When you're in bed I'm often in work.
    Mobile Wifi helps too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

towzer2010 wrote: »
    One of the main reasons I farm is that it's my outlet from work stress as well as being something I enjoy. Sometimes the frustration with work colleagues can be ready to spill over but after work you can head off to the farm and clear your head.

Ironically its the "very repetitive" nature of farming that's probably the most therapeutic. Walking the fields checking stock, fencing and even bringing in bales will clear the head I find.
    ?

That's my point, nice therapy, no changes. no excitement, just saying its good to have something that tests you and then the farm is therapy, but you'd find the farm boring especially when you're working at something interesting......although after having 200 lambs here since last Wednesday certainly livened up the place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Mobile Wifi helps too!

Indeed...
    I'm either driving the desk or driving the jeep.. either way I'm either at a PC or have 3G coverage

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Same here. Two weeks after the leaving I was in the bks gates. Roll on 2019 when I'll be leaving the bks for good. In hindsight I really should have went to college if only for the experience. Can't wait to change the magnums for wellies permanently.

It's gonna be 2021 for myself tho

Mobile Wifi helps too!

Same as that

It's gonna be 2021 for myself tho

Ah it won't be long going. Just make sure you've the third one up just to give yourself the option of staying on for awhile longer if you need to.

• Advertisement

Ah it won't be long going. Just make sure you've the third one up just to give yourself the option of staying on for awhile longer if you need to.

Latest talk suggests that even a third one might not save ya when the time comes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Latest talk suggests that even a third one might not save ya when the time comes

How many years do you need to do before retiring ? And can you keep going until old age if you like ?

moy83 wrote: »
    How many years do you need to do before retiring ? And can you keep going until old age if you like ?

31years for the full pension r 21 years on a reduced pension. Your rank dictates how long you can serve before you have to retire on age groups.

Heard that one alright. Barrack room gossip. Tick the boxes. Strips, trips, cses, meds and IT's. And your grand.
    Sure they might be even keeping 3★s past the 21 yet.

Heard that one alright. Barrack room gossip. Tick the boxes. Strips, trips, cses, meds and IT's. And your grand.
    Sure they might be even keeping 3★s past the 21 yet.

This is true but I hear lads with the 3rd one that haven't the right courses done or not the right appointments done overseas are being threatened

31years for the full pension r 21 years on a reduced pension. Your rank dictates how long you can serve before you have to retire on age groups.

But you have to leave by 60 as that is the max. Titanium is on the old contract (I presume) as am I, which means we draw the pension straight away after 21 years if we leave. New entrees nowadays have to do the 21 years and still have to wait till they are 55 before drawing the pension no matter what age they are when leaving after the 21 year service.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Damo810

But you have to leave by 60 as that is the max. Titanium is on the old contract (I presume) as am I, which means we draw the pension straight away after 21 years if we leave. New entrees nowadays have to do the 21 years and still have to wait till they are 55 before drawing the pension no matter what age they are when leaving after the 21 year service.

So you could be on a pension by as young as 39!?! Christ, sounds a nice way to end up living and working on the farm fulltime.

Damo810 wrote: »
    So you could be on a pension by as young as 39!?! Christ, sounds a nice way to end up living and working on the farm fulltime.

Yeah I'll have the pension at 38 as I joined when I was 17

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Have a bsc in civil eng here and working full time and farming part-time although the wife reckons I have 2 full time jobs. Taking 2 weeks off for lambing next week. Like cran when wee ones of our own arrive it makes it a lot harder

I'd retire in the morning if I thought farming would pay but I have another 30 years to think/dream about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

MSc. here and while I didn't think I was the only one with a science background I'm surprised that there's so many.
    I'm working full time and won't ever give it up for 2 reasons already mentioned.
    1. I couldn't earn a living at it. The land base is too small and it would require more investment than I could hope make pay for itself to make it sustainable.

2. I did 9 months full time on the farm after college before getting a job and it can be lonely. Getting out to work gets you meeting people.

Advertisement