Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Screwed by Bank of Ireland - No money for weekend

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

gugleguy wrote: »
    quagmire you mean.

Mire
    a stretch of swampy or boggy ground.
    "acres of land had been reduced to a mire"

soft mud or dirt.
    "the roads retained their winter mire"

Quagmire
    a soft boggy area of land that gives way underfoot.

GIGGITY GIGGITY GIGGITY

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

dudara wrote: »
    It's TSB that's refusing to refund the money. They are the party obliged to refund the OP immediately

Further to this point it is far too often forgotten that dds do not just arrive at a persons account. This is set in motion by an originator. An originator under the rules of the dd scheme only has permission to debit an account subject to certain conditions being filled: correct notice and approved amount.

Surely when an originator sends dd information to a bank there should be an audit requirement that the originator certifies that this debit information complies with the rules of the scheme and the mandate signed by the bill payer and that someone is held accountable if it doesnt? After all the originator is accessing a customers account. Someone on the originators side should be held responsible if the dd is not in order?

But there is no accountability under the scheme.

First thing on Monday Morning: http://www.ipso.ie/section/Contact

Direct Debit Manager

Irish Payment Services Organisation Limited
    5th Floor, Nassau House, Nassau Street, Dublin 2, Ireland

Email: info@ipso.ie
    Tel: +353 1 663 6740
    Fax: +353 1 284 3409
    Web: www.ipso.ie

http://www.ipso.ie/section/TheIrishRetailElectronicPaymentsClearingCompanyLimitedIRECC

IRECC is responsible for ................................ for the administration of the Direct Debit scheme

http://www.ipso.ie/section/directdebitscheme

The governance and administration role of IRECC in relation to the Direct Debit Scheme encompasses the following:
    • Developing and maintaining the Scheme, and ensuring as far as practicable that the overall Scheme offers a high standard of efficiency, trust and integrity
    • Monitoring and updating, as necessary, the rules of the Scheme
    • Communicating requisite information regarding the Scheme to banks
    • Issuing Originator Identification Numbers (OINs), maintaining a database of OIN information, and regularly updating the banks on changes to that database
    • Seeking to resolve to the extent practicable, disputes or complaints received regarding the conduct of banks or Originators under the Scheme
    • Providing a dispute resolution forum and/or service as required when a dispute arises regarding the conduct of banks or Originators under the Scheme
    • Communicating directly with an Originator in breach of the rules of the Scheme
    • Handling non-compliance with the Direct Debit Scheme Rules

Amazing that "handling of non-compliance with Direct Debit Scheme Rules" is last on the list? Surely reveals their priorities.

Also "extent practicable" is one of those cute hoor "Sir Humphrey" like terms and pretty meaningless. Hardly reassuring when you have beeen messed about like the people here.

I also wonder who is Bank of Ireland's sponsoring bank in this instance?

Responsibilities of the Key Players

Sponsoring Banks Must:
    • Ensure that Originators are aware of and comply with the Scheme Rules
    • Ensure that direct debit files are processed in accordance with agreed procedures and time frames
    • Ensure that Indemnity claims are promptly resolved
    • Take appropriate action with Originators who are not complying with the Rules

Surely serious potential for conflict of interest here if it is another BOI branch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

I saw that. Shirley the exception than the rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Thanks everyone for your threads - I had the funds back in my account on Saturday morning minus 10 euros for overdraft charges which I will get onto BOI and advise them.

I am not going to walk away from this quietly and make sure to makes some complaints, no doubt all in vain but still, its the principal overall

Thanks everyone for your threads - I had the funds back in my account on Saturday morning minus 10 euros for overdraft charges which I will get onto BOI and advise them.

I am not going to walk away from this quietly and make sure to makes some complaints, no doubt all in vain but still, its the principal overall

Because it was an unauthorised SEPA debit, your bank must put your account back to the way it was prior to the debit. As in, no overdraft charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Who did the refund come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

I would definitely complain. Keep it very crisp and clear, when you write to the bank(s) involved, and be clear as to what you want them to do, in response.
    At a minimum, your account should not be charged any penalties for the fact that the direct debit was taken, when it should not have been.

• Advertisement

I just checked my bank account this morning and they credited me again - now i have additional funds in my account.

I am sure for one, not going to bother my backside ringing them, enough hassle altogether....let them do the chasing !!!!!

I just checked my bank account this morning and they credited me again - now i have additional funds in my account.

I am sure for one, not going to bother my backside ringing them, enough hassle altogether....let them do the chasing !!!!!

Just bear in mind. It's not your money to spend. Chances are that they will come back to you and just take the money potentially putting you in a difficult predicament if there are insufficient funds.

Oh, no fear about that, I am only too well aware of that fact that its not mine to spend but thanks for the heads up

What shouldn't be forgotten in all of this is that the dd is a facility granted to a business which saves them a great deal of money, bother etc.

In turn it should not be too much to expect them to comply with the relatively few obligations that they are asked to comply with.

Nor should it be too much to expect that the rules of the scheme will be enforced without question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

Oh, no fear about that, I am only too well aware of that fact that its not mine to spend but thanks for the heads up

Nah, I'd spend it and then tell them I'd give it back in three working days :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Do I started the process of getting a refund with BOI yesterday at 1pm. Still no refund even though the form says it will be done within 24hrs of receipt.

emeldc wrote: »
    Nah, I'd spend it and then tell them I'd give it back in three working days :rolleyes:

I am sure BOI would be very anxious to have the appropriate "regulations" enforced straight away!

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Do I started the process of getting a refund with BOI yesterday at 1pm. Still no refund even though the form says it will be done within 24hrs of receipt.

First thing in the morning ring them and ask them what the delay is. Totally honest, you don't need to fill out a form. That's their policy, not the policy of the Direct Debit Rules.

If you don't like what they say in the morning, you can, if you like, go down the formal complaint route. The reason banks are getting away with this [well one of the reasons] is that people just don't complain in the way that matters to national statistics. If you complain to your branch and leave it like that, it doesn't count as a complaint. they will fob you off and leave it at that.

If you follow the formal complaints procedure, at least it's a potential black mark against them.

Advertisement