Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Wharf buildings to be demolished

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Any activity over there on this, work was due to start last month and then they said it would go ahead on the 11th May if I remember right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

No, no sign of any thing happening, it was delayed by a week from may 7 but still no joy yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

Any progress yet? Eagerly awaiting since it was announced but still have to endure looking at those yokes daily. Starting to fear, like other things in Ferrybank, Its never going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Any progress yet? Eagerly awaiting since it was announced but still have to endure looking at those yokes daily. Starting to fear, like other things in Ferrybank, Its never going to happen.

Last update was a couple of weeks ago
    http://www.waterford-news.ie/2015/05/15/further-delays-for-north-quays-demolition/

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

last update was on their facebook yesterday
    NORTH QUAYS UPDATE:
    They're still there.
    A source close to the action says that he doesn't expect there to be any movement in the next fortnight anyway.
    We're going to stay on the case and will keep you updated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

What's all this listed building crap, sure it's a building which was the first of its kind when it was built in the 1930s but it has served it's purpose, it's totally different to the grandeur that is exemplified in the medical Towers and castles.Those buildings have aesthetic appeal and can attract tourists.

It has laid dormant and in disrepair for a number of years now with nobody taken the initiative to do something productive with it.We need to stop being starry eyed here an move on and level this concrete edifice to the ground.

I wonder how many people at the tall ships looked across as the giant monstrosity of a building in disgust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

What's all this listed building crap, sure it's a building which was the first of its kind when it was built in the 1930s but it has served it's purpose, it's totally different to the grandeur that is exemplified in the medical Towers and castles.Those buildings have aesthetic appeal and can attract tourists.

It has laid dormant and in disrepair for a number of years now with nobody taken the initiative to do something productive with it.We need to stop being starry eyed here an move on and level this concrete edifice to the ground.

I wonder how many people at the tall ships looked across as the giant monstrosity of a building in disgust.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

i think the latest stuff on front of N&S about a DIT competition to see what can be done with the north quays is pretty much pie in the sky as we dont have money to renovate them and capital investment from private or public sector will more than likely not happen any time in short to medium term. Im for keeping some of it in hope that it can be done up, the old industrial style does have a bit of charm and potential when done up.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Guramoogah

I think that "artists impression of a micro brewery" on the North Quays on the front page of today's News & Star is the work of a PISS artist. What are they proposing - a lick of paint for the silos? "A year-long collaboration between the city architect's office, the IDA and students at Dublin Institute of Technology (DIT)" - why not WIT? And as for that yarn on page 26 about a fella wanting to install "a series of tall columns" to "punctuate the river front and actually function as public lavatories"??!! Ah c'mon, we know it's the river Suir but these Dublin students must be thinking of it as a Sewer. I actually had to check the date on the top of the page as I thought it was 1st of April

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

Hi guys, I dont live in Ireland anymore, could someone post the front page of the N&S?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭homecouldbhere

Max Powers wrote: »
    i think the latest stuff on front of N&S about a DIT competition to see what can be done with the north quays is pretty much pie in the sky as we dont have money to renovate them and capital investment from private or public sector will more than likely not happen any time in short to medium term. Im for keeping some of it in hope that it can be done up, the old industrial style does have a bit of charm and potential when done up.
    Good god.
    A "bit of charm"?!
    Fook me.

I really hope you represent a tiny minority.

Good god.
    A "bit of charm"?!
    Fook me.

I really hope you represent a tiny minority.

''when done up'' i stress. Still stand by what i said the building they are keeping (the concrete one with about 8 floors and loads of windows has potential. Obvioulsy, the silos and the rest are ugly and should be gone ASAP. I know it would cost a lot to fix the remaining building but if done well, would look good, there are loads of them in Englands dock areas such as Liverpool and newcastle. On saying that, if it was torn down tomorrow to make way for something, it wouldnt bother me but done up would be nice to look at and compare if there were other more modern structures there too

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

According to Paudie Coffeys latest update on face book today, contracts have now been signed and demolition is imminent with works expected to take 10 to 12 weeks to complete..

(sorry can't provide link on mobile)

something positive anyway, will be good to see most of it gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

http://www.wlrfm.com/news/local/34933-agreement-reached-on-north-quays-in-waterford.html

Well this is an interesting and welcome development. My dream of a cruise liner terminal over there has come a bit closer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Burn motherf**ker burn should be played from loud speakers the length the Quay as this grey eyesore tumbles down.John Mullane should be given the opportunity to detonate the explosive in the North Warf building, or maybe that method may be scrapped due the concomitant health and safety risks associated with the deadly combination of John Mullane with explosives in close sight of South Killkenny.

Another procedure could be considered whereby illusionist/Magician Keith Barry could make the north wharf building de-materialise only to reappear on Dublins docklands where it could be turned into a correctional facility for scobes.The river should be dyed blue and white for the day, just as the river in Chicago is dyed green for St Patricks Day.

There should be street parties across Waterford too similar to ones held in the United Kingdom after the allied victory of the axis powers in WW11.The destruction of the north warf building will herald in a new chapter Waterfords history.

Local folk hero Howdo will be proclaimed eternal emperor at the bullpost on ballybricken by city manager "mytown"and cans of Bulmers cider will be distributed to every Waterford home to help alleviate the suffering of economic duress inflicted on the the city.I will be making my submission to the council shortly if there's anything else to be included please contact me.

Burn motherf**ker burn should be played from loud speakers the length the Quay as this grey eyesore tumbles down.John Mullane should be given the opportunity to detonate the explosive in the North Warf building, or maybe that method may be scrapped due the concomitant health and safety risks associated with the deadly combination of John Mullane with explosives in close sight of South Killkenny.

Another procedure could be considered whereby illusionist/Magician Keith Barry could make the north wharf building de-materialise only to reappear on Dublins docklands where it could be turned into a correctional facility for scobes.The river should be dyed blue and white for the day, just as the river in Chicago is dyed green for St Patricks Day.

There should be street parties across Waterford too similar to ones held in the United Kingdom after the allied victory of the axis powers in WW11.The destruction of the north warf building will herald in a new chapter Waterfords history.

Local folk hero Howdo will be proclaimed eternal emperor at the bullpost on ballybricken by city manager "mytown"and cans of Bulmers cider will be distributed to every Waterford home to help alleviate the suffering of economic duress inflicted on the the city.I will be making my submission to the council shortly if there's anything else to be included please contact me.

Article on front of Munster express looks exciting, looks fairly positive moves beyond just knocking silos are afoot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Another month has elapsed. What are we waiting for now?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Dum_Dum wrote: »

Probably waiting for the rats and pigeons to vacate the building or something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Dum_Dum wrote: »

Last I read it was being retendererd as the appointed contractor called in a clause on scrap metal prices that gives him an option if scrap value moves drastically which they have due to the lack of consumption by China.
    Now could you imagine that ...... holy God.

I'll be dead n buried b4 even a rat is shifted:(

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭.Henry Sellers.

I'm going over with a lump hammer in the morning if anyone wants to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,949 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

danjo-xx wrote: »
    I'll be dead n buried b4 even a rat is shifted:(

was over there last week. not a sign of a rat. was highly offended

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

Any update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I heard recently that something went wrong with the contract for demolition so its gone out to tender again. Dunno how accurate that is but there you go.

Advertisement