Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cattle, and number of movements

Options
  • 05-03-2014 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Someone told me to watch the number of movements/owners an animal has, mentioned that going back to the mart as the 4th owner cold be an issue, as in nobody might want him.
    All about tracing cattle.

He's a well respected farmer so wanted to hear other thoughts, I assume thers some truth in the matter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauser77

Any more than 4 movements you don't get the quality assured payment

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭P_Cash

mauser77 wrote: »
    Any more than 4 movements you don't get the quality assured payment

Is that a factory pymt?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauser77

Yep worth 12cent a kg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭epfff

P_Cash wrote: »
    Is that a factory pymt?

Yep 12 cent a kilo
    roughly €40 a head
    Also most factories don't want cattle without

Thanks lads,
    I'm not a finisher, but equally important to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Its more than 3 movements and you dont get the QA bonus (no more than 4 owners) AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

In the North factory's want cattle with greater than 4 movements. One of the Supermarkets want to bring it down to two. When buying if intending to sell again you want only two movements(third owner) if intending to take to finish you can have three movements(forth owner).

It is not just the QA if we follow the north example them cattle with greater than 4 movements at slaughter will also get a lower base. If losing 12c QA and maybe 10C lower base then on a 350 carcass it is 77 euro.

This is thecost at present for cattle over 30 months between lower base and loss of QA. Not sure if some factory's are not quoting like this at present

Hold on, so when I see 2 movements up, that means 3 previous owners?

Last sat I saw 1 movement, and number of days equalled the age of the animasl.

So 1 movement can't mean 2 previous owners.

So basically less movements the better

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭farmernewbie

So if I buy a weanling of a dealer and he has bought him in a mart I am on movement no.3 when I go the mart with him as a store? Will I struggle to sell?

Surely this isn't good for dealers.

I had a 12 month old bullock last year, but saw on the card that he was bought in Jan, and sold to me in march

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

I had a 12 month old bullock last year, but saw on the card that he was bought in Jan, and sold to me in march

Sold a few cattle in the autumn and I was the 6th owner, got ok money for them, didn't think it made such a difference, wasn't minding how many owners thy had the day I bought and only one signiture on back of cards so didn't know till I was in box selling

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

simx wrote: »
    Sold a few cattle in the autumn and I was the 6th owner, got ok money for them, didn't think it made such a difference, wasn't minding how many owners thy had the day I bought and only one signiture on back of cards so didn't know till I was in box selling

Does selling to a legit dealer count as a movement? I mean by the time the dealer sells it on to destination herd, is that seen as 2 movements or a single movement? If it's 2 movements, the small Castle dealers are finished.

mickdw wrote: »
    Does selling to a legit dealer count as a movement? I mean by the time the dealer sells it on to destination herd, is that seen as 2 movements or a single movement? If it's 2 movements, the small Castle dealers are finished.

If you are the second and sell to dealer he's the third and he's selling to fourth, don't think it'll finish lads or anything QA is not a thing that came out in the last month or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you are the second and sell to dealer he's the third and he's selling to fourth, don't think it'll finish lads or anything QA is not a thing that came out in the last month or anything

That being the case, it will push the cowboy dealers to the fore - The guys selling in the farmers name - cutting out a movement and keeping themselves out of the loop. I've seen a recurrence of this again lately.

So if I buy a weanling of a dealer and he has bought him in a mart I am on movement no.3 when I go the mart with him as a store? Will I struggle to sell?

Yes as only one movement after you

No the dealer system is under pressure, must have been a movement in between at least.....next year is a different game Pudsey is on a winner........ he may have 50-10 euro to play around with(I hope)

OK last year next year....:eek: HAVE BEEN WATCHING OWNER NO FOR ALL OF LAST YEAR.

Yes if it goes into dealer herd it is a movement got caught last year am wary now 2-3 signitures on card 5-6 movements on cattle at 6c/kg 20 yo,yos /head at 12+penelty 100 euro.............. oops, not going to happen

Yes I agre but there is a big difference between 21 euro and 100 euro
    That being the case, it will push the cowboy dealers to the fore - The guys selling in the farmers name - cutting out a movement and keeping themselves out of the loop. I've seen a recurrence of this again lately.

Yes old tricks on the rise again......but buyer beware was on about this last year on another thread.

All the animals last had at leas one movement. If it said one on the board does it mean 1 previous owner and I'll be the second?

Saw no animals with 0 movements

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

All the animals last had at leas one movement. If it said one on the board does it mean 1 previous owner and I'll be the second?

Saw no animals with 0 movements
    If the animal was born on your farm and you take it to the mart it shows 1 owner or 1 movement.
    If you didn't sell and brought the animal home again and take it to the mart the following week it shows 2 owners or 2 movements.

I saw a yearling fr bullock in a mart before Christmas with 7 owners it didn't affect the bidding.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    If the animal was born on your farm and you take it to the mart it shows 1 owner or 1 movement.
    If you didn't sell and brought the animal home again and take it to the mart the following week it shows 2 owners or 2 movements.

I saw a yearling fr bullock in a mart before Christmas with 7 owners it didn't affect the bidding.

Around here that's not the case brought cattle home from mart and brought back again and still 1 owner on board, if that happened I'd say it's a flaw on marts part

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

Factory man told me they have to be the 4th movement, so if you're buying at a mart for killing, only 2 or less movements will suit. (You being the 3rd obviously.)

Sam Kade wrote: »

Not true if animal is not sold it is not a mvvement. Only movements fron one herd no to another count.

Big difference before and after christmass. As not lower base for overage and higher QA binus as well as other penelty's down the line. Ever 10c/kg lost is 35ish euro on a bullock and 30ish on a heifer

• Advertisement

Ok.

Farmer rares bullock to 12 mths.
    Sells movement 1 on board
    i buy and hold for 8 mthts
    sells movememt 2 on board
    Next farmer buys and finishes
    sells to factory. This is the 3rd movement

The factory is the 4th owner.

Ok.

Farmer rares bullock to 12 mths.
    Sells movement 1 on board
    i buy and hold for 8 mthts
    sells movememt 2 on board
    Next farmer buys and finishes
    sells to factory. This is the 3rd movement

The factory is the 4th owner.

You can have four movements before factory. Movements in and out of marts do not count provided they are not held overnight I think. However in and out of dealers do.

You can have four movements before factory. Movements in and out of marts do not count provided they are not held overnight I think. However in and out of dealers do.

The only way I think ya can get away with movement if bought from dealer is if say he bought calves Monday and sold them Monday night, as long as he rings mart first thing tues am before they are put into dealer herd he can put them straight into new buyers herd cutting out his movement

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Not true if animal is not sold it is not a mvvement. Only movements fron one herd no to another count.
    It was on here that I got that information.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 O2b

I was of the opinion that movements in and out of marts by the farmer (unsold) still register as a movement on the board and will still have stamp on card but doesn't count as a qa movement..so animal may have 6 movements on board but may be mentioned when selling "still qualify for qa"

Is this applicable for all cattle that will end up in factories. Or is it specific to certain herd Nos. . . Like need to be in a qa scheme or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 O2b

Is this applicable for all cattle that will end up in factories. Or is it specific to certain herd Nos. . . Like need to be in a qa scheme or anything?

The finishing farmer must be quality assurred.

The cattle must be in his/her herd for 70days prior to slaughter (or in a different qa herd within that period)

Cattle that grade o- or less dont qualify

O2b wrote: »
    I was of the opinion that movements in and out of marts by the farmer (unsold) still register as a movement on the board and will still have stamp on card but doesn't count as a qa movement..so animal may have 6 movements on board but may be mentioned when selling "still qualify for qa"

It registeres as a movement on the CMMS(agfood.ie) however it is not counted as a QA movement. While movements in and out of marts are counted thet are not counted for QA. In reality No of herds or owners is the qualifying criteria

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

It registeres as a movement on the CMMS(agfood.ie) however it is not counted as a QA movement. While movements in and out of marts are counted thet are not counted for QA. In reality No of herds or owners is the qualifying criteria

lads, I see 4 movements mentioned. I am sure max is 4 owners including you as last one. This is 3 movements for QA bonus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 McLivestock

Yous are all wrong. Movement 1 is herd of origin to marts herd no. Movement 2 is from mart herd no to new owner or back to farm of origin. Same with moving cattle to shows ( I have a cow with 54 movements but 2 owners).

Advertisement