Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA Trip Los Angeles to Amarillo

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

Bandara wrote: »
    Hi all,

Basically I'm going to LA in Oct with herself for 2 weeks, could anyone in the know please throw an eye over the itinery and give me your opinion.

I've been to vegas 4 times and to San fran once. But she hasn't its her 1st time in the States

Basially we are frightfully middle class wannabees with ideas above our station, love nice stuff, big foodie and classy bars etc etc

Day 1 & 2 LA
    Do the pier, Universal studios, rodeo drive

Day 3 drive towards San Diego stopping in some beach place along the way for the night (any suggestions?)

Day 4/5/6 San Diego
    Is this too much / not enough ?

Day 7 fly San Diego to San Fran
    Day 8 in San Fran

Day 9 Drive to Napa spend night there

Day 10 drive to Yosemite (this is her dream she is a nature freak)
    Day 11 and 12 over night in the park - hiking and all that outdoor stuff
    Day 13 go from Yosemite to Vegas (how ? is it drivable)
    night of 13, 14,15 vegas and depart afternoon day 16.

Any opinions very very welcome. Am struggling to get this put to bed and hotels booked before they get crazy !

thanks !

Also good sites to use are www.skyscanner.ie www.arguscarhire.com www.blueinsurance.ie

I'm just back a week and I'm jealous of your holiday!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

InTheTrees wrote: »
    :)

One of the major things to do in California is to drive up the coast. However it would add two days.

You could rent a convertible for the price of those flights?

Hi there !

Thanks for reply, we just don't want to feel like we are constantly travelling unpacking. Driving unpacking etc

Am booking the Peninsula Beverly hills or the Beverly Hills hotel

Nelly 21 wrote: »
    Are you planning on flying in and out of different airports, factor the extra charge for car hire. Also would it be better to start in San Francisco and drive down the coastal route to LA and then San Diego. Taking a day or two to stop along the way. One regret that I have is that we didn't stop for 2 days between SF and LA. If I did it again I would stop in San Louis Obispo for a couple of days. You can then drive to some cute towns around SLO.

I think you could drive straight to San Diego from Los Angeles, it's not that far and maybe shave a day from San Diego. We went to sea world in San Diego and loved it. I believe it also has a great zoo if you're in to that kind of thing.

Was a bit disappointed with universal in Hollywood, it's not half as good as Orlando and only has half the rides.

Could you drive to Vegas from San Diego making some stops along the way if you had time.

Hi there

The big reason for the trip is Yosemite for herself. And it's the location of it that is kind of making the planning tricky. If I start in San Fran and drive to Deigo it's a big distance back to Napa and Yosemite

I've got flights booked already, in and out of LA, tbh I'm not too bothered about the cost really, it's more important for us to have a great trip than to save some money in this instance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Something to watch for Yosemite is that some places might start shutting down for the winter season around the time you are planning to visit. So be sure to stock up well in Mariposa or some other town to the west of Yosemite if you're not going through Mariposa. I entered Yosemite from the other direction from Lee Vinning a few days into October last and a good few places were shut and the bar stopped serving at 9pm and the store at 9.30, though the gas station at the north end was open later for beer takeaways.

Yosemite to Vegas is well drivable, a bit of a long day depending on how distracted you get with stopping off for scenery. Going through Death Valley will add an extra hour taking it to about 8 hours, but imo it's worth it. The reverse of the route I took was down through Bishop, left at Lone Pine, through Panamint Valley, right at Death Valley Junction, left at Shosone and on to Vegas via Pahrump. Be sure to try to stick to daylight driving and remember to stock up well on water before Death Valley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Bandara wrote: »
    Hi there

The big reason for the trip is Yosemite for herself. And it's the location of it that is kind of making the planning tricky. If I start in San Fran and drive to Deigo it's a big distance back to Napa and Yosemite

I've got flights booked already, in and out of LA, tbh I'm not too bothered about the cost really, it's more important for us to have a great trip than to save some money in this instance

Read your posts. If you are staying in the Beverly Hills see if you can get an upgrade or deal on one of the bungalows, in October the hotel might do a special offer. Otherwise get a room overlooking the pool. If you don't stay there go for a cocktail in the Polo Lounge to watch the poseurs. Dress up.

The Getty Museum in LA is well worth a visit, but book it in advance – if you drive there you also need to book a parking space.

Don't walk around LA at night.

Driving South of LA Long Beach is worth a visit, or stay – on the Queen Mary, ‘moored’ as an hotel, very Art Deco. Nearby is the world’s biggest geodesic dome inside which is Howard Hughes Spruce Goose, largest plane ever built.

Road between LA and San Diego is not that interesting. Good seafood restaurants in La Jolla.
    Do not think about crossing into Mexico/Baja California, it will take hours to get back in to US (and nothing to see there until you get several hundred miles south). Unless you are into the aquarium thing there is not much in San Diego IMO. Never understood what people saw in the place. Nice for sailing, but that is it.

Going to Vegas is your call, long drive, but check if there are any conventions on there as hotel prices rocket when one is on. If money no problem book a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon and Hoover dam. I'd consider hiking down (heli out) rather than Yosemite (Long drive to GC there/back from Vegas.) El Tovar Hotel on rim is the only place to stay there but v. basic. You could instead consider going to Palm Springs and if so take the Tramway to the mountain top.

San F. - Napa / Sonoma – the former is much nicer to drive and more tourist friendly. Try for a lunch / dinner in the French Laundry. Booking long in advance is a must. Do the 17 mile Drive and Pebble Beach. Coastal drive south is great.

The 101 is a fantastic drive. Carmel is a pretty but touristy town. Visit Hearst Castle at San Simeon. The inland road LA/SF has little or nothing to recommend it, Bakersfield is the same/worse and Tejon Pass on the road S of there on the I-5 can freeze up but that is rare in October.

Snow – Tricky D above is correct - late October can see snow, some car hire cos do (certainly did not) not cover you for Yosemite after certain dates and some areas are closed. Also on some routes e.g. SF going over to Tahoe it is mandatory to carry snow chains.

TBH to me it appears you are trying to do too much in two weeks if you do not want to be doing a lot of unpacking. I'd do a few days in SF with day trips, a couple of days in Yos area then a drive South to LA with a stop or two.

• Advertisement

Read your posts. If you are staying in the Beverly Hills see if you can get an upgrade or deal on one of the bungalows, in October the hotel might do a special offer. Otherwise get a room overlooking the pool. If you don't stay there go for a cocktail in the Polo Lounge to watch the poseurs. Dress up.

The Getty Museum in LA is well worth a visit, but book it in advance – if you drive there you also need to book a parking space.

Don't walk around LA at night.

Driving South of LA Long Beach is worth a visit, or stay – on the Queen Mary, ‘moored’ as an hotel, very Art Deco. Nearby is the world’s biggest geodesic dome inside which is Howard Hughes Spruce Goose, largest plane ever built.

Road between LA and San Diego is not that interesting. Good seafood restaurants in La Jolla.
    Do not think about crossing into Mexico/Baja California, it will take hours to get back in to US (and nothing to see there until you get several hundred miles south). Unless you are into the aquarium thing there is not much in San Diego IMO. Never understood what people saw in the place. Nice for sailing, but that is it.

Going to Vegas is your call, long drive, but check if there are any conventions on there as hotel prices rocket when one is on. If money no problem book a helicopter ride over the Grand Canyon and Hoover dam. I'd consider hiking down (heli out) rather than Yosemite (Long drive to GC there/back from Vegas.) El Tovar Hotel on rim is the only place to stay there but v. basic. You could instead consider going to Palm Springs and if so take the Tramway to the mountain top.

San F. - Napa / Sonoma – the former is much nicer to drive and more tourist friendly. Try for a lunch / dinner in the French Laundry. Booking long in advance is a must. Do the 17 mile Drive and Pebble Beach. Coastal drive south is great.

The 101 is a fantastic drive. Carmel is a pretty but touristy town. Visit Hearst Castle at San Simeon. The inland road LA/SF has little or nothing to recommend it, Bakersfield is the same/worse and Tejon Pass on the road S of there on the I-5 can freeze up but that is rare in October.

Snow – Tricky D above is correct - late October can see snow, some car hire cos do (certainly did not) not cover you for Yosemite after certain dates and some areas are closed. Also on some routes e.g. SF going over to Tahoe it is mandatory to carry snow chains.

TBH to me it appears you are trying to do too much in two weeks if you do not want to be doing a lot of unpacking. I'd do a few days in SF with day trips, a couple of days in Yos area then a drive South to LA with a stop or two.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I've pared it back a fair bit since my post. Went with the Peninsula Hotel in the end in BH, herself fell in love with the place so that was that decided!

Trip now is pretty much sorted, 16 nights all in, LA 3 nights, hit the PCH, one night Santa Barbara, one night Big Sur, actually have Hearst Castle visit booked as well :) 3 nights San Fran, Yosemite 3 days, (kind of looking forward to the drive from Yosemite to Vegas) and then 5 nights in Wynn Vegas. Dropped San Diego altogether, was just to messy to fit it in and not a lot there from what I could see.

Agreed, the French Laundry is excellent, I was there before, food/restaurants is the single biggest factor in planning trips for me to be honest, the restaurant business is in the family, I already have most nights restaurants booked, State Bird Provisons here I come :) Btw if you ever in Vegas again Keller's Bouchon is the best brunch spot there imo.

Will add Carmel onto the plans for a bit of lunch I think, sounds a nice place !

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

One of the only hotels in Big Sur. Very $$$.

http://www.ventanainn.com/

InTheTrees wrote: »
    One of the only hotels in Big Sur. Very $$$.

http://www.ventanainn.com/

Hi there

we went for the Glen Oaks, booked a private outdoor log cabin with it's own outdoor hot tub and fire pit :)

I can almost feel the hangover the next day already !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

And if you get a chance stop by this place:

http://www.nepenthebigsur.com/

Its a coffee shop/restaurant and gift shop. Stunning views though.

Advertisement