Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA Trip Los Angeles to Amarillo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

So I booked a night in Monterery (sp) as a stopover between sf and la.
    We figured we wouldn't leave San Francisco too early so the drive wouldn't be too long. I looked up some hotels in morrow bay and the other place you mentioned. Fairly pricey. Anyway it's booked now!!!

One more question while the goings good......... I'm looking to buy a US national park pass. Do I need to buy it before we go on can I buy one when we get there?????

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

You can buy one when you get there, you can get it at the entrance to any of the National Parks - takes two minutes. They cost $80 and will cover all occupants of a vehicle. Once you have one they usually have a lane at the entrance to the parks which you can take to skip the queue of people lining up to buy tickets, so it will save you a lot of time on busy days.

You can buy one when you get there, you can get it at the entrance to any of the National Parks - takes two minutes. They cost $80 and will cover all occupants of a vehicle. Once you have one they usually have a lane at the entrance to the parks which you can take to skip the queue of people lining up to buy tickets, so it will save you a lot of time on busy days.

Great stuff! Will do that. 3 weeks to go!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

InTheTrees wrote: »
    For the scenic route between SF to LA you need to be on Highway One.

You'll go through Monterey and Carmel on the northern end and Cambria on the south. Thats highway 1.

:)

Paso Robles sounds like you're looking at highway 101 and you want to avoid that (Sf to Paso robles) section.

San Louis Obispo is more convienient to stay. Or Morro Bay.

San Luis Obispo is a college town. I lived there for 2 years before transferring to a different college. It is still one of my favorite towns in the US, and I have been to 39 states or so and lived in 6. I would suggest visiting it at least as a break, if not for much of the day. I enjoyed Spikes Bar(and the deep fried ice cream is my favorite one to this day). Also SLO Brew if it's still there(this time of year they should have their own brewed rootbeer actually brewed and not a confection like most - the best I have ever had to date), and Tio Albertos for an incredibly cali style burrito. Avoid 101 at all costs and stay on the PCH. It is a gorgeous drive. You can't brag about it like you can with Route 66, but it has stunning views, usually stunning weather this time of year(sunny AND cool), and the small towns that dot it are lovely. I miss my time on the Pac Coast(I also lived in Monterey for 2 years).

Nelly 21 wrote: »
    Great stuff! Will do that. 3 weeks to go!!!!

DId you say you were going to see Yosemite? I have been there several times(and once as a wild land firefighter). The views are unmatched in most of Europe.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I lived in Cali for 14 years, much of which was on the coast, and have spent a lot of time driving the route you propose as a field engineer and a local.

• Advertisement

[quoteeindeer;90640012"]DId you say you were going to see Yosemite? I have been there several times(and once as a wild land firefighter). The views are unmatched in most of Europe.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I lived in Cali for 14 years, much of which was on the coast, and have spent a lot of time driving the route you propose as a field engineer and a local.[/quote]

Thanks so much for help and info!!!!! Yeah we are going to Yosemite but we are driving through it. We're also driving through death valley. We're taking in a few parks.

[quoteeindeer;90640012"]DId you say you were going to see Yosemite? I have been there several times(and once as a wild land firefighter). The views are unmatched in most of Europe.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me. I lived in Cali for 14 years, much of which was on the coast, and have spent a lot of time driving the route you propose as a field engineer and a local.

Thanks so much for help and info!!!!! Yeah we are going to Yosemite but we are driving through it. We're also driving through death valley. We're taking in a few parks.[/QUOTE]

Personally, since I love nature, I would get a cabin in Yosemite and stay the night. Death Valley is amazing in evening and night for the stars from horizon to horizon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Reindeer wrote: »
    Thanks so much for help and info!!!!! Yeah we are going to Yosemite but we are driving through it. We're also driving through death valley. We're taking in a few parks.

Personally, since I love nature, I would get a cabin in Yosemite and stay the night. Death Valley is amazing in evening and night for the stars from horizon to horizon.[/QUOTE]

Hi Reindeer,

Sorry to jump in here, am currently booking my west coast trip, we want to do few days in Yosemite, could you recommend where to rent a cabin? Ie what part of it, also as towards overnight camping treks are there good tour guide companies that will do it with us that you could recommend ?

Thank you

Bandara wrote: »
    Personally, since I love nature, I would get a cabin in Yosemite and stay the night. Death Valley is amazing in evening and night for the stars from horizon to horizon.
    Hi Reindeer,

Sorry to jump in here, am currently booking my west coast trip, we want to do few days in Yosemite, could you recommend where to rent a cabin? Ie what part of it, also as towards overnight camping treks are there good tour guide companies that will do it with us that you could recommend ?

Thank you

I stay at rentals in the woods around Yosemite, usually. Wawona cabins are also an option. I stayed there a couple of times. I would do a search, is all I can say to see what ya like. And expect them to be dear this time of year...

http://www.redwoodsinyosemite.com/

http://www.yosemitecabinrental.net/

So I'm almost a week back from what was the best holiday ever. The advice I got on this thread was invaluable . I don't know where to start. We drove as far as Adrian Texas. The plan was to drive to Amarillo bug on the day it seemed too far to travel. We spent a lot of time getting in and out of the car seeing things and taking pics. We then looped up through Colorado and Utah and drove through some unbelievable places. We were just constantly like oh my god!!!!!! We took in loads of parks, Grand Canyon, Zion, Mesa Verde, bryce, painted desert and petrified forest and Death Valley. We made good use of the annual pass for the parks. Like I said scenery was unbelievable.
    We then went to Las Vegas and spent a night there. Forgot about how much money you would spend there!!!!! Then we went to San Francisco and then LA. We did a day trip then to San Diego.

LA was a bit of an anti climax. The area we stayed in wasn't great. When I booked it I had a different idea of where we were staying but it's something to put down to experience. We didn't spend too much time there as we're were on the go. We went to universal studios, San Diego, Hollywood and a couple of days outlet shopping. Everything seemed to be an ordeal. Someone mentioned driving in LA, oh my god, I never witnessed anything like it. A 20 min drive took about an hour and a half. It meant every time we went somewhere it was late at night before we would get back to the hotel. We would be just so tired!!!!! But we enjoyed ourselves but the first 2 weeks were def the best!!!!

Another place we took a side trip on was Sedona. Beautiful place!!!!? Another day of going oh my god!!!!!

Also some advice I got was to stay in sante fe instead of Albuquerque. Sante fe was lovely. People were lovely. The only thing was bars closed early!!!! Though that was better than Utah where we felt like alcoholics cause we looked for a drink!!!!!!!

I'm gonna try to post some pics if I can..... I may figure it out!!!!!

• Advertisement

Grand Canyon

Petrified forest

Painted desert

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Fair play Nelly. That sounds like a great trip. The pix are fab. The desert south west really is a spectacular part of the world. You really do keep on expecting John Wayne to appear on his horse at any second. :D

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Fair play Nelly. That sounds like a great trip. The pix are fab. The desert south west really is a spectacular part of the world. You really do keep on expecting John Wayne to appear on his horse at any second. :D

Absolutely so Wild West. Great experience. I'll get up more pics , takes sooooo long!!!!

Litter colarado gorge

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Why not just upload the pix that you want us to see to a photo sharing site and, then just give us the link to the gallery? May be quicker.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Why not just upload the pix that you want us to see to a photo sharing site and, then just give us the link to the gallery? May be quicker.

We!! now that's an idea!!!!!!!

So I went on shutter fly and I think I may do it from the lap top. Maybe it's me.... I can't copy a link for them!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Photobucket is a good one. Then you can paste the images straight into your posts and we can see them here.

Very easy.

www.photobucket.com

• Advertisement

http://s40.photobucket.com/user/noeleen21/slideshow/

Drive from SF to LA. Very foggy and cloudy though. We stopped and took picks where we could

Oh no. The coastal fog. Although it didnt look too bad. Glad you had a good time overall. Where did you stay in LA?

Oh no. The coastal fog. Although it didnt look too bad. Glad you had a good time overall. Where did you stay in LA?

It was funny we could actually see the fog moving!!! Some patches were good but some were very bad. Great experience though!!!!!

Well we stayed on long beach. Seemed a rough area. Also I under estimated the ordeal it was just to get around!!!

I have to say it was well worth all the organising. Great experience even just driving through some areas was unbelievable. I was afraid to snooze in case I missed anything!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Hi all,

Basically I'm going to LA in Oct with herself for 2 weeks, could anyone in the know please throw an eye over the itinery and give me your opinion.

I've been to vegas 4 times and to San fran once. But she hasn't its her 1st time in the States

Basially we are frightfully middle class wannabees with ideas above our station, love nice stuff, big foodie and classy bars etc etc

Day 1 & 2 LA
    Do the pier, Universal studios, rodeo drive

Day 3 drive towards San Diego stopping in some beach place along the way for the night (any suggestions?)

Day 4/5/6 San Diego
    Is this too much / not enough ?

Day 7 fly San Diego to San Fran
    Day 8 in San Fran

Day 9 Drive to Napa spend night there

Day 10 drive to Yosemite (this is her dream she is a nature freak)
    Day 11 and 12 over night in the park - hiking and all that outdoor stuff
    Day 13 go from Yosemite to Vegas (how ? is it drivable)
    night of 13, 14,15 vegas and depart afternoon day 16.

Any opinions very very welcome. Am struggling to get this put to bed and hotels booked before they get crazy !

thanks !

I'd swap one of the san diego nights for a LA night.

And for hotels in LA...

Santa Monica, westwood or Beverley Hills. Or Venice beach maybe.

Anywhere else and check with us first! because its really important.

YOu probably dont need to stop for a night between LA and SD, its only a 2 or 3 hour drive.

Well we stayed on long beach. Seemed a rough area. Also I under estimated the ordeal it was just to get around!!!

Aw. And after all the advice we gave out you stayed down by the docks?? Its barely even in LA.

Yes, it would be a half hour drive into the city from there and through some rough neighborhoods too. It would be like going to London and staying in Rotherhite.

One of the major things to do in California is to drive up the coast. However it would add two days.

You could rent a convertible for the price of those flights?

Aw. And after all the advice we gave out you stayed down by the docks?? Its barely even in LA.

Yes, it would be a half hour drive into the city from there and through some rough neighborhoods too. It would be like going to London and staying in Rotherhite.

I know!!!! You know I don't know what I was thinking but in my head I figured it couldn't be hard to get to other places. I also expected it to be on the beach!!!!! I need to read maps a bit better and also never to rely on google maps for times!!!!! I was sooooo wrong but I can put it down to experience but I got it right with other places!!!! Plus we didn't spend too much time there!

I listened to all your other advice!!!!!

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Basically I'm going to LA in Oct with herself for 2 weeks, could anyone in the know please throw an eye over the itinery and give me your opinion.

I've been to vegas 4 times and to San fran once. But she hasn't its her 1st time in the States

Basially we are frightfully middle class wannabees with ideas above our station, love nice stuff, big foodie and classy bars etc etc

Day 1 & 2 LA
    Do the pier, Universal studios, rodeo drive

Day 3 drive towards San Diego stopping in some beach place along the way for the night (any suggestions?)

Day 4/5/6 San Diego
    Is this too much / not enough ?

Day 8 in San Fran

Day 9 Drive to Napa spend night there

Day 10 drive to Yosemite (this is her dream she is a nature freak)
    Day 11 and 12 over night in the park - hiking and all that outdoor stuff
    Day 13 go from Yosemite to Vegas (how ? is it drivable)
    night of 13, 14,15 vegas and depart afternoon day 16.

Any opinions very very welcome. Am struggling to get this put to bed and hotels booked before they get crazy !

thanks !

Are you planning on flying in and out of different airports, factor the extra charge for car hire. Also would it be better to start in San Francisco and drive down the coastal route to LA and then San Diego. Taking a day or two to stop along the way. One regret that I have is that we didn't stop for 2 days between SF and LA. If I did it again I would stop in San Louis Obispo for a couple of days. You can then drive to some cute towns around SLO.

I think you could drive straight to San Diego from Los Angeles, it's not that far and maybe shave a day from San Diego. We went to sea world in San Diego and loved it. I believe it also has a great zoo if you're in to that kind of thing.

Was a bit disappointed with universal in Hollywood, it's not half as good as Orlando and only has half the rides.

Could you drive to Vegas from San Diego making some stops along the way if you had time.

Advertisement