Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Three to be axed and move online only.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Shame. But if it's a choice of BBC3 or 4 to go then it's gotta be BBC3 if only for the fantastic music docs on BBC4 at the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Wendolene

mike65 wrote: »
    20 part series on OO gauge railways, the complete history of Widget production, the story of soundwave synthesis. That sort of thing ;)

Do you work for BBC4, by any chance? If you don't you should :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Shame. But if it's a choice of BBC3 or 4 to go then it's gotta be BBC3 if only for the fantastic music docs on BBC4 at the weekends.
    Totally agreed,Friday nights on BBC4 are a wonderful music fest!
    What about the wonderful foreign crime/political dramas on Saturday nights too?Forbrydelsen,Broen,Wallander,Spiral,Salamander and Borgen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

20 part series on OO gauge railways, the complete history of Widget production, the story of soundwave synthesis. That sort of thing ;)

I knew you wouldn't let me down, Mike65! Without having really thought about it, I would have: much more Science programming; showings of foreign language and independent films; formal debates; and engagement with academic subjects - i.e. not just popular academics, but stuff that's not afraid to lose the viewer (broadcastings of uni lectures, for instance). As well as that, extended series on particular topics - "Exploring Ulysses", "European colonialism through the ages", etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    bbc3 = sky 1
    This post has been deleted.

but its true

its chewing gum for the eyes, personally speaking i won't miss it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Panel discussion on Newsnight now on death of BBC Three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I knew you wouldn't let me down, Mike65! Without having really thought about it, I would have: much more Science programming; showings of foreign language and independent films; formal debates; and engagement with academic subjects - i.e. not just popular academics, but stuff that's not afraid to lose the viewer (broadcastings of uni lectures, for instance). As well as that, extended series on particular topics - "Exploring Ulysses", "European colonialism through the ages", etc.

Whoa! Sounds like Open University.

What BBC4 should be doing but really doesn't have the budget for is long form series like Shock of the New, Connections, A History of Ireland and so on of course they could a lot worse than repeat them and others from that golden era of then "new fangled" jet setting colour tv documentary series.

I'd have prof Jim Al-Khalili as the channels own director of science, with Mary Beard as the Arts director and a fella who's name escapes me (in his 60s now writes about fantasy and genre tv/cinema mainly) as popular media director and let them oversee the main strands of BBC4 output.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

A lot of posts saying that if it's a choice between BBC Three and BBC Four, then 3 should go. I disagree.

Firstly, there were rumours that BBC Two and Four could merge which would have been plausible.

Secondly, people forget that BBC Three has long been the breeding ground for young, new comedians and original comedies such as Gavin & Stacey and Bad Education, both of which have become huge.

Also, as a 19 year old, BBC Three does serve up some fantastic content for a young audience. There are posts here about BBC Four serving up fantastic arts and cultural programmes and while I'm sure they're fantastic, that's just people's tastes and doesn't explain why BBC4 deserves the continuation of an on-air channel. People may think that some of BBC3's content is dross but it's what appeals to young people and there is some fantastic content on the channel. Channels such as ITV2 are youth skewed but they produce some absolute rubbish revolving around complete z-listers. BBC Three is a refreshing change and there are some fantastic programmes on there as well as uninterrupted coverage of the summer's festivals like Glastonbury, T in the Park, Reading & Leeds, Radio 1's Big Weekend etc.

#SaveBBC3 was trending No.1 worldwide today on Twitter and there is definitely a public demand for the channel. The BBC should be serving all demographics and keeping BBC 3 and merging BBC 2 and BBC4 would achieve this while saving money.

As someone said on Newsnight tonight, it's like a 60 year old man in a golf jumper walking into a nightclub and turning off the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 KevinEldon

This is wonderful news.Too many ****e Seth MacFarlane imports, too many docs like "My Swollen Piles and Me", too many trendy 18 year olds from cities who anyone not in London or similar would feel any connection with.

Other than Our War and Summer Heights High it was all dire. Happy to see it go.

Whatever will all ''those Russell comedians'' as Stewart Lee calls them,do for work now though?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

The audience of BBC3 is the internet generation so it makes sense that they would be less harmed by moving the channel online. the only thing I don't understand is the economics of it all. They're not talking about cutting programming I don't think, and they have the broadcasting infrastructure, so how much money can be really saved in the transmission technique?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Where will we watch the Worlds Craziest Fools now, no one can comment on people hurting themselves like Mr T can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

Can i just say i did not see this coming,I thought there was more chance of BBC introducing a ''BBC Sport'' channel,Shows how much i know.

Breaking news:
    BBC confirms plans to close BBC3 as a TV channel and replace it with extending CBBC by an hour and providing a BBC1 +1 service. More details soon …

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/bbc-three-tv-closure.html

Today the BBC has announced plans, subject to the approval of the BBC Trust, to close BBC Three as a broadcast TV channel in autumn 2015.

The plans would mean –
    The BBC saving over £50 million a year
    £30 million of that going into drama on BBC One
    BBC Three being reinvented as a new and innovative online service
    The freed-up spectrum being used to extend CBBC by an hour a night and to provide a BBC1 +1 service

It will be interesting to see if the Trust wave this through or put up objections around the loss of programme diversity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They need to concentrate on core activities like moving to Salford and administration.

What would they want to be eating into valuable resources with crazy activities like running a TV channel for?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

....... BBC confirms plans to close BBC3 as a TV channel and replace it with extending CBBC by an hour and providing a BBC1 +1 service............

Extending CBBC by an hour is brilliant news, well my kids will be pleased anyway! Finishing at 7pm is just too early for children these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

From that Press Release
    “We will also make sure that every piece of long-form BBC Three content finds a home on one of our linear television channels. We do not want our content for young audiences to be available only to those with a broadband connection – and we don’t want anyone to miss out on the great new programmes we will be producing.

So every long-form programme will be transmitted on either BBC One or BBC Two, with most playing at 10.35pm or a little later

So online BBC Three won't be producing very much output, but whatever it does make will be broadcast on one of the main channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I don't think the BBC will put any real investment into generating quality online content, so the way I see it basically is BBC Three is being shut down and any successful shows they have pre-shutdown will be moved to some post-midnight slot on BBC Two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

If they hadn't set fire to £100 million plus on a failed IT project, the might not be in such a situation.

True, not to mention to move to Salford, some crazy talent deals in the "boom" era, the crazy amount paid to show The Voice on BBC1 and so on.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I know BBC 3 churns out a lot of dross and unfortunately that seems to be what most associate with the channel but it has actually produced some really great TV over the years.

Him and Her, Gavin and Stacey, The Fades, The Crash, Being Human, Bad Education, In The Flesh... all top quality shows produced by BBC 3 that would never have got a look in on one of the main BBC channels.

I would have thought what was needed at BBC 3 was a serious rethink in what they're commissioning. They don't seem to know what audience it is they're aiming at. All these "teens get drunk and have sex" shows are aimed at who exactly? The shows I named above cater for a wide age group, from 15/16 years up to late 20's or early 30's, at least. BBC 4 has a pretty well defined target audience and the BBC 1 and 2 are very "traditional" in their output. If you look at the comedy made for 1 and 2...... it's ****e, to put it nicely. BBC 3 takes risks on things and a lot of them ended up making their way to the main channels eventually.

I think it's a mistake on BBC's part. If they could genuinely incorporate the experimental and risk taking nature of BBC 3's quality productions into their other channels I'd say fine, fire away, but I can't see it happening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The Guardian have a Which BBC channel are you quiz. Despite my hardest efforts to get BBC4, I got BBC2. Harumph.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/quiz/2014/mar/06/quiz-which-bbc-channel-are-you-bbc3?CMP=twt_gu

That quiz was so bad - half the questions are so facile they are hard to understand! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Ah come on that quiz was funny. It said I'm BBC4, but the questions were good. "Watching Northerners performing recognition tasks by watching football replays":pac:

It was the first thing in a long time to make me laugh. I should get out of the house:rolleyes:

I also thought it was amusing!

When you think "drama" you think: The unbearable tension of baked goods and major engineering projects coming towards fruition

Your idea of quality reality TV is: Seeing some parents watch the precise moment their offspring contracts an STD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

The Guardian have a Which BBC channel are you quiz. Despite my hardest efforts to get BBC4, I got BBC2. Harumph.

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/quiz/2014/mar/06/quiz-which-bbc-channel-are-you-bbc3?CMP=twt_gu

Me too. I thought knowing Béla Tarr might swing it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

"The World's Strongest Gag Reflex" ! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

True, not to mention to move to Salford, some crazy talent deals in the "boom" era, the crazy amount paid to show The Voice on BBC1 and so on.

Not to mention the nearly billion they spent refurbishing broadcasting house and the fact that they now have to lease large chunks of the Television Centre at White City back as Salford is proving to be impractical for guests and they're having serious issues moving staff!

Not at all impressed with BBC management. Makes our lot look super well organised!

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Not to mention the nearly billion they spent refurbishing broadcasting house and the fact that they now have to lease large chunks of the Television Centre at White City back as Salford is proving to be impractical for guests and they're having serious issues moving staff!

Not at all impressed with BBC management. Makes our lot look super well organised!

You can be sure that if "our lot" had similar levels of ambition the results would be no better!

Broadcasting House looks fantastic, but £1bn?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Atalla, who has made several shows for BBC3 including its acclaimed Greg Davies sitcom Cuckoo

Yeah, no vested interest there whatsoever...
    They took away one of his his cosy little earners and he's bitter about it. Aw, Diddums. :(
    smurfs5 wrote: »
    Also, as a 19 year old, BBC Three does serve up some fantastic content for a young audience. There are posts here about BBC Four serving up fantastic arts and cultural programmes and while I'm sure they're fantastic, that's just people's tastes and doesn't explain why BBC4 deserves the continuation of an on-air channel.
    You see ever since I was about 10, I've been fascinated by arts, culture, and science, I also loved Ali G when I was older and he first came on the scene so as a younger person both channels would have appealed to me in different ways. Had I been asked to sacrifice one over the other I'd still have said ditch BBC3 because there are already far too many channels serving up that sort of low brow content and nowhere near enough serving up the content you get from BBC4.

I do agree however that shows like Being Human were absolutely brilliant and probably wouldn't have made it to BBC1 but overall there's not a lot else from BBC3 I'd consider worthwhile.
    People may think that some of BBC3's content is dross but it's what appeals to young people and there is some fantastic content on the channel.
    BBC4 also appeals to young people. I just wish it had existed when I was younger, would have ranked as one of my favourite channels even then.
    #SaveBBC3 was trending No.1 worldwide today on Twitter and there is definitely a public demand for the channel.
    Yeah and if BBC4 had been axed it would have been #SaveBBC4. Twitter trends don't really say much in these circumstances tbh

Advertisement