Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Three to be axed and move online only.

Options
  • 05-03-2014 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-26447089

BBC Three is to be axed from television schedules and move online, as part of the BBC's cost-cutting plans.

It means shows such as Don't Tell The Bride and Pramface will only be available through the iPlayer, rather than Freeview, satellite or cable.

The BBC will make an official announcement on Thursday, media correspondent David Sillito said.

Before moving BBC Three online, however, the director general must get approval from the BBC Trust, the corporation's governing body, which represents the interests of licence fee payers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

If it means BBC Four is saved I'm happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭squonk

I'd do the opposite. Move BBC4 online and keep 3 on sattelite. 3 is more entertaining and I'd happilly watch the excellent 4 music shows online.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Skid X wrote: »
    If it means BBC Four is saved I'm happy enough.

Amen to that. BBC 4 is excellent and I'm happy to see that saved. Then again I'm biased, my preference is for cultural programming in the arts and sciences rather than the dross served up by BBC3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don;t think this actually stands a chance of passing the trust vote - if there is a vote.

The joke as I pointed out on the broadcasting forum is that BBC1 spend £11m per season for the rights to the Voice, plus a few million to actually make the programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭brian_t

I think that BBC4 has more programming best suited to watching in HD on television.

Not everyone has a good internet connection.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

I love BBC4, but there's no doubt that it is not as impressive as it was five years ago.

Regarding the BBC 3 decision: I imagine that, as they are aiming to cut £100m from BBC budget, the cleanest thing to do is to axe the ~£90m BBC3, rather than the ~£50m BBC4, especially considering there is little difference in their audience share. Having said that, though, BBC4 could have been incorporated into BBC2, whereas the moving online of the BBC3 "brand" is likely to much diminish it because, presumably, the bulk of their budget was spent on programming rather than transmission, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Thank Christ BBC4 has been saved - best channel in UK/Ireland bar none, some great stuff on there.

This will no doubt be discussed on the Media Show which starts/ed at 4.30

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/bbc_radio_four?rpSt=bbc+radio+4&rpSrp=3.0

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I love BBC4, but there's no doubt that it is not as impressive as it was five years ago.

Regarding the BBC 3 decision: I imagine that, as they are aiming to cut £100m from BBC budget, the cleanest thing to do is to axe the ~£90m BBC3, rather than the ~£50m BBC4, especially considering there is little difference in their audience share. Having said that, though, BBC4 could have been incorporated into BBC2, whereas the moving online of the BBC3 "brand" is likely to much diminish it because, presumably, the bulk of their budget was spent on programming rather than transmission, etc.

It's also likely that BBC 4 was saved because it is more in line with the remit of the BBC for education and cultural preservation. BBC3 provides little other than light entertainment and pretty rubbish lowest common denominator entertainment at that (coming from someone who loves Family Guy and American Dad :)). The best of their shows could perhaps be incorporated into BBC1 but not much of it at that!

Just looking at the schedules for tonight brings it into perspective:

BBC3
    Total Wipeout
    Don't Tell the Bride
    Festivals, Sex and Suspicious Parents
    Ja'mie: Private School Girl
    Bad Education
    Family Guy
    Family Guy
    American Dad!
    Festivals, Sex and Suspicious Parents
    Ja'mie: Private School Girl
    Pramface
    Hair
    Great Movie Mistakes
    V: Revenge of the Fifth,
    Pramface

BBC 4
    World News Today
    Great British Railway Journeys
    Bombay Railway
    Pressures
    Dancing in the Blitz: How World War 2 Made British Ballet
    Great Barrier Reef
    Nature's Miracle
    Parks and Recreation
    Parks and Recreation
    Lost Kingdoms of South America
    Bombay Railway
    Pressures
    The Golden Age of Canals
    Dancing in the Blitz: How World War 2 Made British Ballet

Far easier for BBC to justify cutting BBC3 based on remit alone, rather than have to justify why 'Don't tell the Bride' is more important than 'Great British Railway Journeys'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

As long as the likes of E4 takes up American Dad and Family guy im fine with this,This is a massive loss for freesat. I enjoy BBC4 but for me it only airs one show per week worth watching.

BBC4 Should be aired from 7 to 11 with BBC3 on afterwards on the same EPG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

that's a shame, BBC Three has had some great shows over the years like the Mighty Boosh and bad education. There's been a lot of dross but those are gems that I don't think any other BBC channel would commission.

I'll miss my nightly dose of Family Guy and American Dad too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

BBC4 was the channel that the original BBC charter would recognise. Programming that might leave you a little smarter an hour after watching without being bored or assaulted by the teacher in the meantime.
    Dumping it would be surrender to bad US reruns (that can be downloaded easily if you really care) and reality TV that ...eh...didn't make the cutting edge of X Factor. Which describes BBC3. Good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

bbc3 = sky 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

BBC3 = E4/ITV2 plus a bit of SKY ONE.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭eireannBEAR

mike65 wrote: »
    BBC3 = E4/ITV2 plus a bit of SKY ONE.

I will agree with that, for me even though its only o from 7 in the evening its by far and away the best entertainment network.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Why dont the BBC put ads on BBC3 and 4 between programs.

Will Irish viewers be able to watch BBC3 online?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I disagree with a lot of the posts here, just because you don't have an interest in something and because it is not informative or educational does not mean something is not good television.
    mikeym wrote: »

Able: Technically yes by making it appear that you live in the UK. Allowed: No.
    brian_t wrote: »
    Not everyone has a good internet connection.

BBC's only concern is the UK who have much less people without a good internet connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Wendolene

fryup wrote: »
    bbc3 = sky 1

That's harsh on BBC3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Will BBC4 become BBC3 then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

mikeym wrote: »
    Why dont the BBC put ads on BBC3 and 4 between programs.

There are no ads because the BBC is funded entirely by TV license fees.

You can always use a proxy like "Hola! Better Internet" to get access to BBC shows on the web if you're not living in the UK.

Hootanany wrote: »

The BBC3 "brand" is being retained. As drama has been pretty much stripped from BBC4, it could be renamed something like BBC Factual.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Wendolene

Hootanany wrote: »

If you mean in terms of naming convention, then no - BBC3 is to become an online-only channel. If you mean in terms of content, then <shudder> I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Really hope both BBC 3 and BBC 4 are retained,two excellent channels catering to diverse tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,867 ✭✭✭✭flazio

What will happen to CBBC I wonder? Will it be allowed to continue broadcasting past 7pm?

Here's a question: if you were BBC Four controller, and you had unlimited resources, what types of programming would you commission?!

flazio wrote: »
    What will happen to CBBC I wonder? Will it be allowed to continue broadcasting past 7pm?

It'll be BBC1+1 from 7 pm almost certainly.

• Advertisement

Here's a question: if you were BBC Four controller, and you had unlimited resources, what types of programming would you commission?!

20 part series on OO gauge railways, the complete history of Widget production, the story of soundwave synthesis. That sort of thing ;)

Advertisement