Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Met a girl, convicted Stalker.

Options
  • 04-03-2014 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, as the title suggests I have met this girl, who is great fun and who I do like. On the first date she told me that she had a bad break up and got in trouble with the Gardai as she had stalked her ex and kept calling to his house and he got sick of it and called the Gardai, at least she was honest and told me from the very beginning.
    Should I run a mile or should I give her chance ?
    We do get on well and it is nice to have company as this is the first serious 'relationship' since the breakup of my marriage last year..
    Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

Well you have two choices dump her now and risk getting stalked or stay with her and you have a 50/50 chance of getting stalked depending on whether you stay together or not.
    Id watch out for warning signs of smothering controlling behaviour though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Personally I'd run a mile ,

You could give her a chance if you like her ,
    But I'd be very weary despite her honesty

• Registered Users Posts: 23 jms2013

The gardai calling to the house isn't a conviction. Unless she was convicted in court,she's not a ''convicted stalker''. It's your call to proceed or not. Yes she was honest but it's a strange conversation to have on the very first date. Personally I think I'd walk away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Ah you don't need the grief...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Dump this girl now for her own sake when you're already calling her a whack job, hardly the basis for a solid foundation to a healthy relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

The Gardaí probably had a word with her for making a nuisance of herself, not a convicted stalker. She obviously did a very silly thing but telling you on the first date was a bit TMI.

It's up to you OP how much you like her and how many dates you have been on since. We've all done spectacularly silly things in our past, I'm not sure blabbing about them on a first date is ever a wise choice though. Do you know how long ago this was? Does she still see/talk to/contact the guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,381 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It depends on how much you like her to be honest, if you want to give her a chance go for it. She was probably up front about the staking because she didn't want you to hear it from somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

I would be put off by the fact she has stalked someone previously and would walk away now.

How do you know she is a convicted stalker? Did she say she was convicted or that the Gardaí had a word with her over her behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I find it bizarre in the extreme that someone would say this on a first date :confused:
    It's almost akin to a disclaimer. In doing so I'd be wary of the fact that she can then turn around to you after displaying nutty behavior directed at you with the excuse that you already KNEW what she was like.

So for that reason I'd proceed with caution if I were you - if her behavior necessitated a trip from the 5-0 then it must have been relatively serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 whackjob

Thanks all for the advice. Not sure if convicted was the correct word but she did end up in front of the judge who warned her after she kept calling to the ex's house
    She says she just couldn't handle the break up etc. This all happened 6 months ago and the other man is now gone to England to work.
    We have discussed it and she is very sorry for the shame she brought to her and the other family..
    I think I will give it a go as we get on well but
    there is a little doubt there.
    Thanks all.

• Advertisement

whackjob wrote: »
    She says she just couldn't handle the break up etc.

Break ups are hard as most of us can testify but most people don't end up in Court after their behavior post break up.

Fine if you want to proceed but I'd be keeping my eyes and ears wide open for any kind of freakish, clingy or obsessive behavior.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

People make mistakes in life. And people can change. And really no matter what you post here, you're going to have trust your gut instinct on this one, because we can only go on what she has done in the past - we can't get a sense of who she is *now*. If you feel that you get along well, then it may be worth giving it a go, at least to get a better sense of the girl. But if your spidey sense starts tingling to tell you that all is not quite right, given the fact that she has a history, it would be wise to heed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

She ended up in court which (I'm open to correction) would indicate that she had probably been warned off and carried on doing whatever it was she was doing. And it must have been fairly severe to end up in front of a court over it.

Plus it was only 6 months ago. I might be inclined to let it slide if it was years and years ago when she was very young and that she had learned and matured a lot since then.

I mean, 6 months ago she was so broken hearted that she was stalking him and now she's grand? I doubt it?
    I wouldn't be getting involved with someone like her to be honest. Just too soon since it happened for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,381 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Merkin wrote: »
    I find it bizarre in the extreme that someone would say this on a first date :confused:
    It's almost akin to a disclaimer. In doing so I'd be wary of the fact that she can then turn around to you after displaying nutty behavior directed at you with the excuse that you already KNEW what she was like.

She might have just wanted to be honest with him. She might feel sorry for what's she's done in the past and doesn't want him to hear it off somebody else.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Fair play to her, I think she was trying to start off on the right foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

It's a tough call, but as mentioned above, it's almost like a disclaimer.

Personally, I'd walk away before you both get attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Fentdog84

Id be very, very alarmed about this. No one made her stalk this guy, she did it herself and if she can be capable of such disturbing behaviour in the last 12 months, she's surely capable of it now. Id probe further into it if i were you. What did she do exactly and why? Has she been to some counselling? The fact that she's all nice and charming now when things are going well means nothing, beware you could be dealing with a narcissistic personality here, and if you are you should run like hell. A good rule of thumb is if in doubt , leave it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

The 6 month detail is certainly the biggest factor in this. As written above it is unlikely that she has gotten over him and what happens if he returns from England.

If you are so so about her then its not worth the effort.

But if you really do like her and think that there is a good spark there then I think it is ok to continue but keep it reasonably low key. Dont get too sucked in and see if it is developing into a relationship ou would like to oursue. In that tie you will get a chance to know her family, friends and prerhaps get an appreciation of what she has been like throughout her life and if this was an abberration.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sleepless and Manic

dixiefly wrote: »
    The 6 month detail is certainly the biggest factor in this.

Yup. If she's that sensitive then six months is way too short a time to get over someone.

She might have just wanted to be honest with him. She might feel sorry for what's she's done in the past and doesn't want him to hear it off somebody else.

Maybe so, it's totally open to interpretation. I'd find it all very recent however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I agree with Ash, Sleepless and Dixiefly. 6 months is usually very short in terms if getting over a broken heart, but the fact is the Gardaí had to get involved with her only 6 months ago would certainly raise red flags for me. As Ash said, it is not like she can chalk it down to youth and immaturity. If you choose to proceed, do so with caution!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I'd definitely be wanting to know what professional help she had received in the wake of her brush with the law. It's one thing to lose your rag and do something stupid once. This was an ongoing thing and I assume she ended up in court because she refused to take on board what her ex and the guards said to her. That she was seemingly incapable of stopping this behaviour despite knowing that it was wrong is certainly a matter for concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

As odd as it is for her to disclose this straight off its a bit of a hat tipper too. I'm somewhat impressed by Her bravery. If the Gardai told her to knock it off then she wasn't convicted. People make mistakes and do silly things during break ups. Obsession is a part of it and some people cannot control themselves enough to stop themselves acting on impulses.

I wouldn't run but I'd proceed with caution. Unless you yourself have never made a mistake!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

she did end up in front of the judge who warned her after she kept calling to the ex's house

Some of you don't seem to have read this bit. It wasn't just a warning by the Gardaí. It went to court. So she must have been at least charged with something. It isn't clear whether she was convicted or not.

I'd be a bit wary, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Eeden wrote: »
    I'd be a bit wary, too.

Yeah, that's kinda scary so OP.

Eh, It's your own call but you could end up being in the same boat as her ex !

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭delos

You would want to be very careful here and watch for things moving too far too quickly where she is concerned. She might be on the way to getting better but she still could have a long way to go.

If you do give this a go make sure she's kept at arm's length from your extended family (and ex-family) until you are really sure that the behavior was a once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Op i would be very cautious of her. Has she got any help dealing with the break up of the relationship? Being up before a judge for stalking is serious. Was it the Gardai that took the case or her ex?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Thanks all for the advice. Not sure if convicted was the correct word but she did end up in front of the judge who warned her after she kept calling to the ex's house
    She says she just couldn't handle the break up etc. This all happened 6 months ago and the other man is now gone to England to work.
    We have discussed it and she is very sorry for the shame she brought to her and the other family..
    I think I will give it a go as we get on well but
    there is a little doubt there.
    Thanks all.

I really think you are playing with fire here. As others have said, it's only 6 months ago. If I were truly shamed by my actions I wouldn't be dating for years or until I was 100% sure (after a lot of therapy) that I was ok and the pattern wouldn't repeat itself. 6 months is not long enough to be 'cured'. Did she to for any cbt / counselling to help herself.

Ok so he is gone to England. Did he go as a result of her behavior? It's very possible.

What happens if he comes back? Will it all kick off again? These situations are rarely confined to one person or situation and I think you are brung very naive here.

It's just not worth the possible outcome of this. Plenty of other girls out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

CaraMay wrote: »
    I really think you are playing with fire here. As others have said, it's only 6 months ago. If I were truly shamed by my actions I wouldn't be dating for years or until I was 100% sure (after a lot of therapy) that I was ok and the pattern wouldn't repeat itself. 6 months is not long enough to be 'cured'. Did she to for any cbt / counselling to help herself.

Ok so he is gone to England. Did he go as a result of her behavior? It's very possible.

What happens if he comes back? Will it all kick off again? These situations are rarely confined to one person or situation and I think you are brung very naive here.

It's just not worth the possible outcome of this. Plenty of other girls out there.

Definitely 100% agree!

While I do think it's nice that she was honest SERIOUSLY - she was brought to COURT for stalking!! That is not like being caught with a tiny amount of weed or a driving offence - it's way, way more serious!

Yes, she was honest but still - I would not feel comfortable with someone who only 6 months ago was stalking and probably harassing her ex. And like CaraMay says - what happens if the ex comes home?

OP - fair enough you will do whatever your heart tells you but her admission of her past (only 6 months ago) is a HUGE red flag!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

OP, I would definately talk to her again about this thing. I ( means you) would like to know in detail what happened, what she's done exactly and also and mostly important, how she sees what she's done in hindsight. You havn't mentioned anything in your posts whether she truly regrets it (or not).
    Can she reflect what obviously strange and obsessive things she's done? And as others said, is she getting any help, councelling or something like that?

If you really like her, it should be worth talking to her to get a feeling where she stands with this situation and whether she's on a right track to distance herself from it and that it would be unlikely she's doing it again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement