Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too many games, too little time

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I stopped thinking I'd play through them all a long time ago. Then I did reach the same point with books a decade back, I often pick up books that "look interesting" but that I never really get around to. My habit with games is worse, I keep buying 50+ hour games that'd "be great if I put the time into them" which is a bit insane given how many of those lay unplayed in my Steam Library/GoG folder already.

poor college student, can't afford games, all the time to play them.
    working professional, can afford games, no time to play them.

pick one!

Parent: can't afford games (need to buy the kids' ones), no time to play them (kids hog the television/PC all the time). :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I have about 180 games on steam, Id say out of them 80 or so I got for the single player and out of them I have probably completed 20 :L. God damn steam sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

mrcheez wrote: »
    For example, I was about 50% way through Spec Ops: The Line....

For Christ sake finish that game. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I've gotten better about steam sales. In the past if anything looked even mildly interesting id buy it. Now before the steam sale starts I decide what I want and stick to it, no impulse buying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

MadYaker wrote: »
    I've gotten better about steam sales. In the past if anything looked even mildly interesting id buy it. Now before the steam sale starts I decide what I want and stick to it, no impulse buying!

I wish I had your strength!! D:

I've done the same unfortunately I still fall victim to friends strongly recommending a game that's been heavily discounted as something that I have to play, especially in genres I normally ignore at full price (e.g. things like the latest Batman games, Borderlands etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Now that I think about it there are several games I've bought in steam sales that I've never even downloaded, and probably never will. That's like walking into Game Stop, handing them cash and then walking out with nothing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Fawk Nin

Now that I think about it there are several games I've bought in steam sales that I've never even downloaded, and probably never will. That's like walking into Game Stop, handing them cash and then walking out with nothing :(

I once bought a game on sale in Gamestop only to go home and realise I had bought the digital copy before. That's when I decided to stop buying games and start playing them.

If I see a great deal I think to myself will I honestly put good time into this game in the next two weeks, if the answer is no, I leave it. 9 times out of 10 if I see a great deal I'll either get an equally good or better deal down the road anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm getting worse at finishing games, when I was younger I'd always finish a game before getting a new one. But back then it could be a long time between buying games as there just weren't as many or as much disposable income to buy them.

I haven't finished the last Batman game, it just didn't interest me as much as the previous two, still have to finish black flag. I often have to put off playing AC:BF because it's too late when I have time to play it and I can often get sucked into that one for hours at a time accidentally staying up til 5 in the morning playing it.

Most my time is spent in Assetto Corsa, it's impossible to play it for too long because it requires too much of your attention and is energy sapping to play with a wheel.

I'm getting a more nerdier as a age too, much more into highly detailed sim like games these days. Might not play them as much but the challenge of just getting the hang of them is enough to consider them a finished game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I've just gotten more ruthless with what I bother sticking with. I gave up on Spec Ops, Arkham Origins and a couple of others recently, they just didn't grab me. Those two in particular I think I should have stuck with, since I know the story of Spec Ops is meant to be great, but it bored me so much to play that it was a chore to get through. I'll just read Heart of Darkness again :P And with Origins it just didn't hook me like the other Arkham games, some stupid design decisions... that bridge... didn't help.

I figure I'm better of putting my time into games I really enjoy when time is so limited.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Spec Ops isn't that long, so it's not a difficult one to complete.
    That said, I'm only getting through Gears of War 3 now, Judgement is still sitting there in its wrapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,629 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Everyone is raving about Brothers' ending, so I guess I should actually finish that one after I've finished Spec Ops.

I agree with post #40 though in that if you miss a sale it's more than likely the same game will be at that price or less when you finally have free time to play it.

For me, buying games on sale was almost a game in itself and gave a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment that you'd normally get from the game itself. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Currently in Steam my profile says 452 games (got a fright when the all games section in the client said 532 as I was certain I hadn't hit the 500 mark, turns out it was including a load of F2P stuff), there's another 60 on gog.com plus a handful on Origin (Mostly from a humblebundle, honest!).

To be fair, the vast majority of the games at this stage are the padding from all the humble bundles, most I don't even remember buying a I tend to pick up classics I've enjoyed when they're cheap. I can't remember the last time I bought a game on release, maybe The Witcher 2.

It''s gotten so bad that I've started paying for games before they're even made :p

Next game I'll be playing: Thief :pac:

Ebay is a fecker for this. Fallout New Vegas and Deus Ex Human Revolution for €11.50 delivered. It's not possible for me to turn a blind eye at those kind of deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Spec Ops isn't that long, so it's not a difficult one to complete.
    That said, I'm only getting through Gears of War 3 now, Judgement is still sitting there in its wrapper.

But it's so bland! I got through three hours of it and just stopped caring. It probably didn't help that I knew the plot already though. But then if I didn't I'd never have tried it at all. So I don't know.

I just don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

But it's so bland! I got through three hours of it and just stopped caring. It probably didn't help that I knew the plot already though. But then if I didn't I'd never have tried it at all. So I don't know.

I just don't know.
    All I knew going into Spec Ops was that there was apparently a really ****ed up scene it. I got to that scene and it did absolutely nothing for me. Turned into Slightly Unbalanced Nolan North in the Desert, as opposed to Wacky Nolan North in the Desert that Uncharted 3 was.

But it's so bland! I got through three hours of it and just stopped caring.

Some said the same of I Am Alive which I also enjoyed because of the atmosphere etc so I guess people take different things from these sorts of games.

I got Deadlight on sale over xmas and loved the way I was able to complete it in a single day, which made it a very satisfying game overall, so I agree with the need for more 5-6 hour games (although they should be priced accordingly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

Funny, reading this thread and I have both Split/Second and Spec Ops: The Line sitting waiting to be played, I must get around to them now that I've been reminded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Funny, reading this thread and I have both Split/Second and Spec Ops: The Line sitting waiting to be played, I must get around to them now that I've been reminded.
    Spec Ops is all about the story. The gameplay is nothing new, really. If you've played third person shooters, you've seen that element done better elsewhere. Still worth playing though.

• Advertisement

The only thing I knew about Spec Ops beforehand was that it had a good story which it does, and it questioned the morality of war unlike it's contemporaries which it also does. Go into it with that frame of mind and you won't be disappointed. The gameplay is not great, a little clumsy at times but it takes a firm backseat to the game's selling points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

I love story in games. I'd probably take a riveting story over 'seen it before' gameplay. Might give Spec Ops a spin later so!

Finished it today, enjoyed it more than Gears of War series or Call of Duty MW, so was worth the €4 or whatever I spent on it :)

One down.. Next up Brothers I think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I am slowly approaching 500 games mark on steam now... Don't think I have played half of the games to be honest... Some of the games I just buy for the hell of it and because they have cards... Usually I will buy newly released indie games play for 30mins then stop... This is why I have went off activating steam games for lent :P... I would have purchased that Jet Ski game and 10 second ninja by now...

Advertisement