Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too many games, too little time

Options
  • 03-03-2014 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭

Do you ever think you will complete every game in your backlog?

Just as I get 50% into a game, another bloody sale comes along and I end up adding another 3 to the list.

Dishonored / Borderlands 2 / Dead Rising 2/ Red Dead / Portal 2 / Alice / Forza Horizon / Batman / Left for Dead 2 / etc etc etc ... plus another 20 or so others I have yet to play either because I'm not stuck in front of the screen every waking moment or I keep replaying one title over and over.

How many are left in your backlog?

Do you think you will ever complete/playthrough every game in your backlog? 123 votes

Never
    0% 0 votes
    Yes
    89% 110 votes
    When I retire
    10% 13 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Moved from Xbox

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

I have four at the moment Far Cry 3 Dead Rising 2 that Civilization game and Sleeping dogs. I also play a lot of BF4 online which really eats into my time. I reckon I could complete most of the back log before the end of the month, just in time for the new Games with Gold titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

My steam account says i have 267 games... so i am going to go with no

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mother of Glob, I could tell you how many unfinished games I have but you won't believe me.
    Literally hundreds and hundreds on every format you can imagine.
    It's ridiculous and only gets worse as I buy more games over the months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

oh yeah I forgot about the number of ROMs I have on other platforms... ffs, ok "never".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Not a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

People give out about 5-6 hour long games I look at them as games I have a chance of finishing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

People give out about 5-6 hour long games I look at them as games I have a chance of finishing!

Perfect length of a game imo. I'm happy to finish a game in 2/3 sittings. Almost everything gets stale quickly for me these days unless it is outstanding.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,819 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just be thankful you're not mad about 40+ hour RPGs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Nothing like a backlog consisting of skyrim, oblivion, morrowind, every fallout game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Which is why the 3DS/DS is such a perfect fit for that genre!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Nothing like a backlog consisting of skyrim, oblivion, morrowind, every fallout game.
    :( I've the three Elder Scrolls games on my backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There's 287 games in my steam library. So no, I don't think so. Id say I finish maybe 3 a year and with every steam sale I buy a few more. To be honest most of gaming time is taken by online multiplayer games that can't even be "finished" Arma 3, Dayz, BF4, Counter Strike etc.

Id actually love to just drop everything for about a month and see how many single player games from by backlog I could finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Currently I have Dead Space 2, the Mass effect series, the Drake series, Dark Souls and the Assassin's Creed series...so yeah it'll be a while before I need a PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Thats pretty much the rest of your gaming life right there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭sin0city

Currently I have Dead Space 2, the Mass effect series, the Drake series, Dark Souls and the Assassin's Creed series...so yeah it'll be a while before I need a PS4

Same here.

Might just be finishing up my PS3 backlog by the time Persona 5 comes out.
    Mostly thanks to Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

on pc alone I have accounts with Steam, Origin, GOG and Desura never mind standalone games so even if I retired today and played 24/7 for the rest of my life I don't think I could do it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

poor college student, can't afford games, all the time to play them.
    working professional, can afford games, no time to play them.

pick one!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 shanewalsh121

I have around 200 games between xbox and ps3 and i have prob cleared 10% maybe but i do think someday i will slowly make my way to the end of all them it may take years but ill get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

I'm not too bad. In the last few weeks I've picked these up in the Xbox digital sales:

Dishonored
    The Witcher
    Dark Souls
    Mirror's Edge
    Tony Hawks Pro Skater HD
    Limbo
    Fez
    Bully

Have The Stick of Truth arriving this week, and Titanfall next. Also have TWD S2E2 tomorrow and TWAU ep 2 to play, and polishing off Tomb Raider on the XB1. Vanquish gathering dust waiting for me to play it.

Feck, I've more than I thought. Damn you OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'm more like
    137446153804.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Definitly not

Tried the "clear a game form backlog thread" didn't even get started.

Simply put my time goes into World of Warcraft, and recently Diablo 3 now its not a pile of steaming ****.

Just when I think I'm done with wow something pops up, this time it's prepping alts for WoD, so levelling two new characters and gearing them.

Bought a PS4 and its barely received the attention it should.

I have SO many games in wrappers still : /

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

On the PS3 I have 100+ games I havent even started yet.
    Xbox 360, I have about 20 or so.

PC.... I have about 240 games that havent been touched.

Will I get to clear all these games...... Not a chance so im going to sell off my little collection very soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I think it will finally happen for me this year.

I've sold off any games I bought but wasn't actually looking forward to playing. I've become a lot more picky about what I'll buy, whereas before I'd buy anything that looked half interesting. I've stopped trying to 100% every game, just the really good ones. I've also started to value shorter playtimes and I've gone off rpgs a bit recently which helps in that regard (except Pokemon - it will be my undoing).

I really want to get to the point where I am playing exciting new games around launch rather than months after, and spending more time on the games I really like rather than putting myself under pressure to always move on to the next one.

elekid wrote: »
    I really want to get to the point where I am playing exciting new games around launch rather than months after, and spending more time on the games I really like rather than putting myself under pressure to always move on to the next one.

+1

I'm done with sales until I clear this lot off :)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Fawk Nin

It depends what we count as backlog. If every single game I get with PS Plus counts whether I want to play it or not, then never.
    If only games I buy and the good games off ps plus count, then never.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

My backlog just keeps getting larger and larger, problem is whenever I seem to be making progress I find something like unikgamer.com, I found this site only last week and have spent all week going through the tops list for each console and checking reviews for games I either hadn’t heard of or played and have now added loads more games to my backlog, I find researching games and checking out reviews for them etc can be as much fun as playing games so I’m pretty certain I’ll be buried with a large uncompleted games backlog…this pretty much means completing my backlog will be the longest and most time consuming challenge of my life so I promise everyone I’ll give it my best shot and go down fighting!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What is nice about a collection though is knowing, if someone mentions a really good game they remember, you have it somewhere to play if you want or it provides you with your next game to buy.
    I find, collecting from the entire continuum of gaming, there's a vast swathe of amazing games and, while I have made a dent in owning many of the best, I still have a long ways to go.
    That and I'll never finish but a fraction of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Most of the games i play regularly can't be completed.

I spend most of my gaming time playing LFD2, DayZ, Arma III, LoL and Hearthstone.

• Advertisement

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Most of the games i play regularly can't be completed.

I spend most of my gaming time playing LFD2, DayZ, Arma III, LoL and Hearthstone.

Well I was also asking how many games have not yet been given a good playthrough, not just completed.

For example, I was about 50% way through Spec Ops: The Line, when I bought Alice Madness Returns, so I tried that for a bit.. got maybe 5% way in, then bought Portal 2, tried that.. got about 20% way in... but at the back of my mind I'm pissed off that I was missing the Spec Ops story.

In fact I've got about 40 games with 5-50% progress because of this!

Main reasons for me are that some games are too much fun to drop... I guess that's a good thing.
    2012 was Team Fortress 2 ... 2013 was Split Second ... 2014 will be trying to clear up the backlog ;)

Advertisement