Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Qashqai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Nclarke29 wrote: »
    Well the mechanic seemed to think it was but was unsure if the malfunction light would come on for wheel alignment

What the mechanic thinks or doesn't think is of no importance I'm afraid. In order to stick the vendor with some conclusive arguments you will need evidence not opinions. If you want to have good conclusive arguments you'll have to establish that the fault existed AND that a reset/clearance was done while the car was in the vendors possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Nclarke29

Is there any possibility phones broad band etc. were out of action in Tralee area. I recall reading that the roof of The Brandon Hotel was blown away in recent storms!

Ha they will wish that was there excuse when i finish with them!

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd be working this on two fronts:

1. Keep the pressure on the warranty company as already stated to fix it under their warranty.

2. Give your local Nissan dealer a ring and see if they could tell from hooking the car up to their computer if there is any possibility a history of the fault is still stored somewhere on the car's ECU even if the fault was cleared by the seller before the sale. If there is then it would be worth spending the €90/€100 for a full diagnostic from the main dealer to prove that the fault was there before you bought it. You can then chase the dealer to rectify it.

Thanks for that, great advise theres a nissan dealer close to me so can go there in the morning also. Wouldnt have even known there was a possibility that info maybe there so thanks for that advise

What the mechanic thinks or doesn't think is of no importance I'm afraid. In order to stick the vendor with some conclusive arguments you will need evidence not opinions. If you want to have good conclusive arguments you'll have to establish that the fault existed AND that a reset/clearance was done while the car was in the vendors possession.

Your right, il follow the advice of yourself and another user and get actual evidence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Ha they will wish that was there excuse when i finish with them!

I understand. However there were parts of Kerry without power for 4 days following storms.

Noted you are living in Dublin, have you Kerry connections? Could a family member call into the garage on your behalf and talk to the Garage .?

I have no idea why the dealer in this case is avoiding your calls or mails.

Obviously before you start on the road of engaging a Solicitor, it may be worth making another attempt to resolve the matter with the Garage in question.

It is puzzling that if they were willing to give a three month warranty , why they would wish to avoid you.

Respectfully the cost of replacing the timing belt at €900 appears somewhat excessive for a Nissan Quashquai.

From what you have advised , your issues are not insurmountable. I cannot fathom why the Garage simply don't take the car back and repair it to your satisfaction.

The MPG issue , Quashquai petrol was never seen as the most economical Crosssover

• Advertisement

I understand. However there were parts of Kerry without power for 4 days following storms.

Noted you are living in Dublin, have you Kerry connections? Could a family member call into the garage on your behalf and talk to the Garage .?

I have no idea why the dealer in this case is avoiding your calls or mails.

Obviously before you start on the road of engaging a Solicitor, it may be worth making another attempt to resolve the matter with the Garage in question.

It is puzzling that if they were willing to give a three month warranty , why they would wish to avoid you.

Respectfully the cost of replacing the timing belt at €900 appears somewhat excessive for a Nissan Quashquai.

From what you have advised , your issues are not insurmountable. I cannot fathom why the Garage simply don't take the car back and repair it to your satisfaction.

The MPG issue , Quashquai petrol was never seen as the most economical Crosssover

No excuse on the lack of communication except for the fact that there purposily avoiding me. Iv called twice this morn and it rings out.

Iv gotten a second opinion on the car and its definitely the chain along with the break pads and discs extremely worn and a few other bits which show the car wasnt serviced or serviced properly. Im awaiting a price back for all that needs doing. A second hand gear box is in the car was also mentioned as maybe needing replacement so this is going to be a big bill!

Thats all i wanted was them to repair, i dont think its unreasonable but as iv no other way to contact them bar driving down im afraid its back to the battle with the warranty company.

The mechanic was unable to determin from the diagnostics machine when /if the light had previously been knocked off.

No excuse on the lack of communication except for the fact that there purposily avoiding me. Iv called twice this morn and it rings out.

Iv gotten a second opinion on the car and its definitely the chain along with the break pads and discs extremely worn and a few other bits which show the car wasnt serviced or serviced properly. Im awaiting a price back for all that needs doing. A second hand gear box is in the car was also mentioned as maybe needing replacement so this is going to be a big bill!

Thats all i wanted was them to repair, i dont think its unreasonable but as iv no other way to contact them bar driving down im afraid its back to the battle with the warranty company.

The mechanic was unable to determin from the diagnostics machine when /if the light had previously been knocked off.[/QUOT

Exactly, there is no excuse for failing to return phone calls etc.

Is the Garage a main Dealer, it seems rather odd that their phone rings out. Just a thought, have you tried ringing them from a private line or different number altogether?

You certainly appear to have a number of issues with the car which need prompt action.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Main dealers don't normally sell cars with third party warranties. It sounds more like that car would not be retailed at a main dealer either (which is unusual in itself given the popularity of the Qashqai) was passed onto a small or part time dealer who flips cheap cars over without really spending any money on prepping them for resale. The fact that the dealer is at the other side of the country doesn't help the OP either.

Main dealers don't normally sell cars with third party warranties. It sounds more like that car would not be retailed at a main dealer either (which is unusual in itself given the popularity of the Qashqai) was passed onto a small or part time dealer who flips cheap cars over without really spending any money on prepping them for resale. The fact that the dealer is at the other side of the country doesn't help the OP either.

Fair Comment.

If the Dealer would at least answer the Op's phone calls perhaps some progress could be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

My loaner atm is a 1.5 DCI Cashcow, she seems very good on the go go juice - I've done 50 miles since I got it and the needle still hasn't moved. (apologies for the unscientific measurement but it is a loaner and I aint doing a brim test :P )

• Advertisement

My loaner atm is a 1.5 DCI Cashcow, she seems very good on the go go juice - I've done 50 miles since I got it and the needle still hasn't moved. (apologies for the unscientific measurement but it is a loaner and I aint doing a brim test :P )

Thanks, yes the diesel version is a miser on fuel, but would not be the fastest . On the other hand the 1.6 petrol is quite lively , however it would not match the diesel in terms of MPG !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Thanks, yes the diesel version is a miser on fuel, but would not be the fastest . On the other hand the 1.6 petrol is quite lively , however it would not match the diesel in terms of MPG !
    Yes this thing you cannot overtake even on the motorway it is so dead in terms of power, the dci.

Perhaps it would be wise for the Op to get a report from an Independent Motor Engineer.

Whether the Op decides to pursue the Garage or Warranty Company through the legal route or otherwise, it would be important to have a detailed report supporting the defects which have been uncovered.

Depending on the amount of €'s involved it may be possible to pursue the matter through the Small Claims Court.

The mechanic was unable to determin from the diagnostics machine when /if the light had previously been knocked off.[/QUOT

Exactly, there is no excuse for failing to return phone calls etc.

Is the Garage a main Dealer, it seems rather odd that their phone rings out. Just a thought, have you tried ringing them from a private line or different number altogether?

You certainly appear to have a number of issues with the car which need prompt action.

No its a small dealer and they dont answer the land line either.
    I no i need to get it sorted asap as i dont want the issues to get eorse abdncause more damage

The fact they told me the car had been serviced and was in drive away condition is a blatent lie

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The fact they told me the car had been serviced and was in drive away condition is a blatent lie

Have you got this in writing/email?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

I was looking into getting a warranty for a second hand car I was thinking of buying. Its an expensive car with expensive parts so I looked into carprotect.ie.

http://www.carprotect.ie/documents/car-protect-warranty-booklet.pdf

Below is an excerpt from the "Standard Cover" section of the booklet

Covered Components
    The following specifically listed components and labour costs are included against Mechanical Breakdown, provided that the Terms and Conditions of this Policy are fully complied with. Within the Warranty period, the number of claims are limited to the retail value of the Vehicle.

Engine Cylinder block, crankshaft, crank bearings, big end bearings, oil pump, con rods, gudgeon pins, small end bearings, pistons, piston rings, cylinder bores, cylinder head (excluding cracks), rocker shaft, rockers, hydraulic lifters, camshaft and cam followers, push rods,
    camshaft bearings, inlet and exhaust valves, valve springs, valve guides, cylinder head gasket, inlet manifold, timing gears, timing chains, belt / chain tensioner, flywheel and starter ring gear (excluding sticking valves and oil leaks).

In carprotect.ie own warrant booklet it states that timing chains are covered. If the car was checked by these prior to the sale the timing chain should have been checked.

I would not be letting them off the hook that easily as they should fix timing chain problems according to their own booklet.

kceire wrote: »
    Have you got this in writing/email?

Yes on email and a screen grab of the carzone advert

oxocube wrote: »
    I was looking into getting a warranty for a second hand car I was thinking of buying. Its an expensive car with expensive parts so I looked into carprotect.ie.

http://www.carprotect.ie/documents/car-protect-warranty-booklet.pdf

Below is an excerpt from the "Standard Cover" section of the booklet

Covered Components
    The following specifically listed components and labour costs are included against Mechanical Breakdown, provided that the Terms and Conditions of this Policy are fully complied with. Within the Warranty period, the number of claims are limited to the retail value of the Vehicle.

Engine Cylinder block, crankshaft, crank bearings, big end bearings, oil pump, con rods, gudgeon pins, small end bearings, pistons, piston rings, cylinder bores, cylinder head (excluding cracks), rocker shaft, rockers, hydraulic lifters, camshaft and cam followers, push rods,
    camshaft bearings, inlet and exhaust valves, valve springs, valve guides, cylinder head gasket, inlet manifold, timing gears, timing chains, belt / chain tensioner, flywheel and starter ring gear (excluding sticking valves and oil leaks).

In carprotect.ie own warrant booklet it states that timing chains are covered. If the car was checked by these prior to the sale the timing chain should have been checked.

I would not be letting them off the hook that easily as they should fix timing chain problems according to their own booklet.

Yes this is the same as the booklet. Do you mean if the car was checked by the dealer or car protect?

Yes this is the same as the booklet. Do you mean if the car was checked by the dealer or car protect?

Checked by car protect. It states on the website that the needs to be checked by car protect prior to insurance being given. If this is the case then they passed the timing chain as fit to insure and should be covered under warranty.

• Advertisement

Checked by car protect. It states on the website that the needs to be checked by car protect prior to insurance being given. If this is the case then they passed the timing chain as fit to insure and should be covered under warranty.

Thanks fot that info i have called car protect again and now and mentioned this and now there asking me for a quote, diagnostic report, mentioned no communication from the dealer and that he's sold on a car with issues. The sales person who deals with the car dealer is going to contact them when i mentioned solicitor and iv said between them they need to decide whos sorting this issue.

Maybe thus could be a break through!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭itsirishfarmer

Nissan used to make good cars then they formed alliance with
    reanult,car quality went down,2013 cars are having problems,when new,they have to go in for repairs when other new cars don't go in for repairs for 2 years

even 2014 cars have problems,transmission,fuel system,electrical
    and that's only 1 month old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Stroke My Trout

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Thanks fot that info i have called car protect again and now and mentioned this and now there asking me for a quote, diagnostic report, mentioned no communication from the dealer and that he's sold on a car with issues. The sales person who deals with the car dealer is going to contact them when i mentioned solicitor and iv said between them they need to decide whos sorting this issue.

Do you think the dealer knows about this thread and hence why he won't answer the phone?

This sounds more positive!

bbability wrote: »
    Do you think the dealer knows about this thread and hence why he won't answer the phone?

Respectfully, I think the Dealer was avoiding the Op before this Thread started. Op has made numerous attempts to contact Dealer by phone and email.

bbability wrote: »

No. I'v never mentioned there name and also i'v tried to contact them for weeks unsuccessfully

No. I'v never mentioned there name and also i'v tried to contact them for weeks unsuccessfully

Let me know who you get on. I've more than a passing interest in the outcome of this issue.

Let me know who you get on. I've more than a passing interest in the outcome of this issue.

Yes i will do i will update this thread as and when I have news. I have been told its worth it to pay the extra €100 i think and go for there premium policy if your still thinking if taking a warranty with them and there meant to be the best of a bad bunch but apparantly there is only two warranty companies in ireland!

• Advertisement

Hi
    Update....
    Both warranty company and dealer (via solicitors letter) replied friday requesting a quote for repairs....
    Quote back today for timing chain etc plus recondition of my gearbox is the grand total of 1780!!!
    Lets home they pay up or request i go to there designated garage for repairs.

Advertisement