Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Qashqai

Options
  • 02-03-2014 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi recently purchased a 2007 Nissan qashqai 1.6 petrol, drove it for 3 weeks and an engine warning light has come on. It's extremely heavy on juice approx 50 euro every 3-4 days and car is only used for school run / local trips. On cold mornings going down hill it can make a rattle sound. Car also shakes going over 110/115 kph. I got it plugged into a diagnostics machine and was told to pop the bonnet only to be told it was the timing Chain .... €900 to be fixed. Anyone else come up against any of these issues and have advice ?
    As the car dealers won't answers my calls email or texts on this and the warranty company are saying my claim isn't covered I really need any help I can get on this.
    Also if you have and can recommend the place you got it repaired (Dublin) I'd really appreciate it
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,160 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

How long have you had the car? how long is the warranty? Who is providing the warranty, the dealer you bought from or a third party company? Why are they saying it is not a warranty issue?

Stretched timing chains were not uncommon on older Nissans but don't know if it is common on the Qashqai.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Nclarke29

bazz26 wrote: »
    How long have you had the car? how long is the warranty? Who is providing the warranty, the dealer you bought from or a third party company? Why are they saying it is not a warranty issue?

Stretched timing chains were not uncommon on older Nissans but don't know if it is common on the Qashqai.

Iv had the car since the middle if jan this year, the warranty given by the car dealer was for 3 months with an external car warranty company called car protect. The reason they wont pay is its not a mechanical or electrical issue. Theres two things here, firstly the mechanic i took it to new i was "meant" to get the problem paid by warranty and secondly if the engine malfunction light comes on for timing chains it should have been on when i bought the car as its visably warn to a mechanics eye. I asked could dealer have knocked light off as iv experienced the symptoms of the timing chain going since i bought the car, namely the car vibrating over 110kmph . This is most likely what happened as i havent had a call email or text answered since i bought the car.
    My other thought is there is possibly an petrol tank leak, the wheels need aligning and the light has come on as my reverse lights are no longer coming on.

I'd be taking a trip back to the dealer in person, too easy to be fobbed off over the phone, email, etc.

I hate these warranty companies with a passion and make a point of avoiding dealers who supply these warranties. All too easy for these dealers to wash their hands of any problems and these third party companies will only cover the cost when there is an actual failure rather than symptoms of a pending failure. They will bide their time until the chain eventually snaps and the warranty has expired.

I'd also contact the National Consumer Agency for advice on where you stand and what you can do if the trip to the dealer is not positive.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd be taking a trip back to the dealer in person, too easy to be fobbed off over the phone, email, etc.

I hate these warranty companies with a passion and make a point of avoiding dealers who supply these warranties. All too easy for these dealers to wash their hands of any problems and these third party companies will only cover the cost when there is an actual failure rather than symptoms of a pending failure. They will bide their time until the chain eventually snaps and the warranty has expired.

I'd also contact the National Consumer Agency for advice on where you stand and what you can do if the trip to the dealer is not positive.

Thats my next idea but a round trip from dublin to tralee isnt ideal when im afraid its going to snap. Iv contacted a solicitor to see where i stand on this ( im using them on another issue and asked for advice on this)
    My only other thought was maybe its not the chain so getting a second opinion on this tomoro. Have you experienced any of these issues with your qashqai? Have you heard if the 2007 is heavy on juice?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

It'll be the t.chain alright, they always go in them.

My local nissan dealer has a special offer on T.chains right now, as they are always in demand.

What mpg were you hoping for from the quas? Like its a 1.6 petrol car on stilts - the mpg they give is nothing special. And you'll find there is no petrol leak. It's just the way it is with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Surely, given that the chain is not a service item the warranty company will have to cover it? It has failed in that it had stretched to a point where engine management issues arose and tripped the engine light.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,750 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

MidlandsM wrote: »

My local nissan dealer has a special offer on T.chains right now, as they are always in demand.

What mpg were you hoping for from the quas? Like its a 1.6 petrol car on stilts - the mpg they give is nothing special. And you'll find there is no petrol leak. It's just the way it is with them.

Sorry for jumping in. Is the timing belt on the 1.5 diesels the same as the 1.6 petrols?

Any chance of the garage details just to get a price? I'v had two so far which I'd nearly need to re-mortgage for!

I don't no how to give you mpg but my example would be I put 50 euro in it (says 270km on the dash when I fill it) on say a Wednesday morning and make two 20 km trips a day and maybe another 10 km round trip and by Saturday I'd have about 30kms left.

I'v drove a 1.8 petrol for years putting max 80 a week in and make bigger trips (m50 journeys) and the ones above and 80 would lat a lot longer.

mickdw wrote: »
    Surely, given that the chain is not a service item the warranty company will have to cover it? It has failed in that it had stretched to a point where engine management issues arose and tripped the engine light.

Exactly my point but they keep repeating that its happened due to wear and tear and is basically my problem. I tried to get them to sort it as there is an electrical issue in that the light is on and needs to be turned off and any issues that arises as a result of this light need to be covered by them but they just repeat there big speech. Extremely frustrating situation

The mechanic did say the wear on the chain puts a huge stress on the rest of the car and has a knock on effect on petrol consumption ... I'd like to believe that and when it's repaired the car will be more economical which is what my research had told me before purchasing it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Nclarke29 wrote: »
    Any chance of the garage details just to get a price? I'v had two so far which I'd nearly need to re-mortgage for! I don't no how to give you mpg but my example would be I put 50 euro in it (says 270km on the dash when I fill it) on say a Wednesday morning and make two 20 km trips a day and maybe another 10 km round trip and by Saturday I'd have about 30kms left.
    I'v drove a 1.8 petrol for years putting max 80 a week in and make bigger trips (m50 journeys) and the ones above and 80 would lat a lot longer.

Only way you'll know is to find out what your mpg is mate. Brim up the tank, set the clock to zero, drive it til your fuel light comes on and brim again.

That'll give you the mpg and you'll know exactly where you stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,407 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Would the ecu log the first time the problem was detected and possibly when the light was put out, if it was?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Sorry for jumping in. Is the timing belt on the 1.5 diesels the same as the 1.6 petrols?

no, completely different engine and set up.

@NClarke29, when I said my local nissan dealer had a special on T.chains right now, its for the parts........you'll get rode saidways on nissan dealer labour to fit it. Getting the parts from nissan (on the deal) and have an independent cheaper and good mechanic do it whould be much easier on your pocket.

But, I'd kick some but first off, with this warranty co. Ring them first thing and be nice, ask for help. If you got no hop, tell them in no uncertain terms you will drag them thru the courts and they will end up paying for everything - all your legal costs, car rental, parts, labour, vat, the lot unless they sort it out or make a commitment to sort it within 48 hours.
    Then, put it in writing to them tomorrow. put them on notice.....and inform then you'll got all litigious on them after that, without hesitation.

they will mess you about, and want you for feck off.......kick some butt!

Jesus. wrote: »
    Only way you'll know is to find out what your mpg is mate. Brim up the tank, set the clock to zero, drive it til your fuel light comes on and brim again.

That'll give you the mpg and you'll know exactly where you stand.

Ok thanks for that, i need a full tank to do that? How do i find out the standard mpg on an 07 qashqai

@NClarke29, when I said my local nissan dealer had a special on T.chains right now, its for the parts........you'll get rode saidways on nissan dealer labour to fit it. Getting the parts from nissan (on the deal) and have an independent cheaper and good mechanic do it whould be much easier on your pocket.

But, I'd kick some but first off, with this warranty co. Ring them first thing and be nice, ask for help. If you got no hop, tell them in no uncertain terms you will drag them thru the courts and they will end up paying for everything - all your legal costs, car rental, parts, labour, vat, the lot unless they sort it out or make a commitment to sort it within 48 hours.
    Then, put it in writing to them tomorrow. put them on notice.....and inform then you'll got all litigious on them after that, without hesitation.

Ok tomorrow morn im going to do this, i wasnt sure if no actually means no! Iv to bring it to a garage first thing and il call them as soon as iv gotten the second opinion.
    Thanks for the advice on this. In your opinion is it better i go after the warranty company then to keep trying the car dealer for the moment?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Would the ecu log the first time the problem was detected and possibly when the light was put out, if it was?

Iv no idea, would a mechanic be able to check that, if so i could adk the guy in the morning... Hes a friend of a friend so would have no problem helping me.

Are there any details for the previous owner in the service history etc?
    Perhaps it was traded in with this fault noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If you can verify that the fault existed before you bought the car and it was knowingly concealed from you when you done the deal it is quite a possibility that you are a victim of a crime: fraud.

Also meant to ask is that acceptable to bring yor parts to a mechanic to fit? Obviously id mention it on booking the car in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Have you brought the car back to the dealer?

I note they are dodging your calls, emails etc.

Bring the car back to them and try or give them an opportunity to resolve matters.

If you cannot get any satisfaction , contact your Solicitor.

• Advertisement

Are there any details for the previous owner in the service history etc?
    Perhaps it was traded in with this fault noted.

No details of previous owner and its possible it was but they were never told to me. Have via email the car had hist been serviced and it perfect driving condition. That was true as on getting onto the motor coming back todublinthe car started vibrating which at the time i put down to wheel alignment

If you can verify that the fault existed before you bought the car and it was knowingly concealed from you when you done the deal it is quite a possibility that you are a victim of a crime: fraud.

Well the mechanic seemed to think it was but was unsure if the malfunction light would come on for wheel alignment

Its very unlikely this was the first time tbh.

Have you brought the car back to the dealer?

I note they are dodging your calls, emails etc.

Bring the car back to them and try or give them an opportunity to resolve matters.

If you cannot get any satisfaction , contact your Solicitor.

I hadnt as the dealer was in tralee and im in dublin. Was afraid the chain may snap making that journey down, all i want is the problem to be fixed hence the calls and mails to them. If i new they would fix it if i drove down id chance it.

Im hoping the contact from the solicitor will be the kick they need tonget things sorted

Also meant to ask is that acceptable to bring yor parts to a mechanic to fit? Obviously id mention it on booking the car in.

sure is, all you pay for is their labour, plus vat @ 13.5%.

Also,haggle for a best price for the "job" as opposed to paying for it to be done on the basis that you are charged by the hour.

Its very unlikely this was the first time tbh.

Mechanics opionion also. He advised if the light had been turned off it can take 1-3 weeks to come back on. The ligjt took just under 3 weeks to come on.

Any idea if the chain would trigger the engine malfunction light to come on?

Any idea if the chain would trigger the engine malfunction light to come on?

Yes, the readings on the positions of the cams and crankshaft will be out due to the chain stretching so it'll throw up a fault.

sure is, all you pay for is their labour, plus vat @ 13.5%.

Also,haggle for a best price for the "job" as opposed to paying for it to be done on the basis that you are charged by the hour.

Thanks a million your advise is really helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

I hadnt as the dealer was in tralee and im in dublin. Was afraid the chain may snap making that journey down, all i want is the problem to be fixed hence the calls and mails to them. If i new they would fix it if i drove down id chance it.

Im hoping the contact from the solicitor will be the kick they need tonget things sorted
    Is there any possibility phones broad band etc. were out of action in Tralee area. I recall reading that the roof of The Brandon Hotel was blown away in recent storms!

• Advertisement

I'd be working this on two fronts:

1. Keep the pressure on the warranty company as already stated to fix it under their warranty.

2. Give your local Nissan dealer a ring and see if they could tell from hooking the car up to their computer if there is any possibility a history of the fault is still stored somewhere on the car's ECU even if the fault was cleared by the seller before the sale. If there is then it would be worth spending the €90/€100 for a full diagnostic from the main dealer to prove that the fault was there before you bought it. You can then chase the dealer to rectify it.

Advertisement