Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milking Parlour Quote

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Some crazy money being spent on parlours, how do ye fund it?

I pulled mine from under the mattress,ive a few quid left for a rainy day shhhh dobt tell anyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭TossL1916

Lads that have the dumpline. Do you actually use it?
    Would you manage just aswell with buckets?

dumpline is an absolute must for larger parlours.
    It really comes into its own around this time of year, well worth the money

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

how much xtra is a dumpline?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭maxxuumman

Sam, there's lads spending a lot more than that on tractors to let off some spotty teenager on it. And that machine is only fit for a scrap heap after 10yrs. Tis along term investment. Farmers are expected to put a lot of cows through their hands every day on their own and then go out and run the farm. It's money well spent IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

maxxuumman wrote: »
    Sam, there's lads spending a lot more than that on tractors to let off some spotty teenager on it. And that machine is only fit for a scrap heap after 10yrs. Tis along term investment. Farmers are expected to put a lot of cows through their hands every day on their own and then go out and run the farm. It's money well spent IMO
    That's true but the banks are only lending short term 5-7 years so for anyone starting off there are plenty other expenses as well. If you had to borrow for everything you would end up milking for the bank until the loan is paid off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭exercise is the antidote

That's true but the banks are only lending short term 5-7 years so for anyone starting off there are plenty other expenses as well. If you had to borrow for everything you would end up milking for the bank until the loan is paid off.

Thats the thing sam I wouldn't mind doing that, but It doesn't mean I'll be accepted on them terms. It's no boder do the work its getting the money to start!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

wont tell you what the bill for our new machine will be so....:pac:

but as someone else said.. its a milking machine... the most important piece of equipment in your yard.... absolutely nothing is more important than it.... so you might as well have a good one that will ensure you milk cows in an hour - hour and a half.... and they will be milked and fed properly while there in there.... and you will have time to go away and do all other jobs on the farm as well as having time for yourself....

i would never have an issue with lads blowing serious money on a milking machine... anyone that went down that route are the happiest lads in the world today... there cows are milked in top class facilities... and the operator is at ease doing the job.... win win for farmer and cows.... mahoney_j being the perfect example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

TossL1916 wrote: »
    dumpline is an absolute must for larger parlours.
    It really comes into its own around this time of year, well worth the money

For me I'd prefer to pput in good drafting rather than dumpline as the drafting is handy for lots of things and I like the fact that you can deal with these cows last.at this time of year all I do is stick in an extra cow or two so there is no unit idle and its handy to squeeze the heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Il keep going with a 12 unit for another 5-7 years then im gona put in a 20+ unit with removers. i used to milk a 20 unit and its hard going back to a smaller parlour now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

but as someone else said.. its a milking machine... the most important piece of equipment in your yard.... absolutely nothing is more important than it.... so you might as well have a good one that will ensure you milk cows in an hour - hour and a half.... and they will be milked and fed properly while there in there.... and you will have time to go away and do all other jobs on the farm as well as having time for yourself....

i would never have an issue with lads blowing serious money on a milking machine... anyone that went down that route are the happiest lads in the world today... there cows are milked in top class facilities... and the operator is at ease doing the job.... win win for farmer and cows.... mahoney_j being the perfect example

We don't milk but I've worked in hundreds of parlours and the only lads with regrets I've met are lads who get a "bargain" second hand machines
    Most turn out to be sub standard compromises. There is the odd bargain out there from time to time but in general they are old and outdated. In my experience one reason lads get out of milk is their machine is old and too expensive to update, them the machine is bought by some sap thinking he has the bargain of the century.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Whats average side of new parlour nowadays??

farmerjj wrote: »
    Whats average side of new parlour nowadays??

I'd say a 12 maby 14 unit.still see lads putting in 6 unit parlours which I think is mad.what amount of rows would lads be happiest milking ,for me it'd be 8 rows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

bbam wrote: »
    We don't milk but I've worked in hundreds of parlours and the only lads with regrets I've met are lads who get a "bargain" second hand machines
    Most turn out to be sub standard compromises. There is the odd bargain out there from time to time but in general they are old and outdated. In my experience one reason lads get out of milk is their machine is old and too expensive to update, them the machine is bought by some sap thinking he has the bargain of the century.

What would you install if getting back into milk bbam? Also regards centre 2'2" or 2'6"? Just curious wht ya think

Fully agree. My logic behind spending so much on mine was that most other elements of my farm were in pretty good nick and just need yearly maintaining.if I had big money to spend on roads,reseeding ,slurry storage and accommodation then I'd proably of put in a 10 unit with room to go to 14 (where I'm at now)and just go with acrs and the feed to yield package.)my 2 main concerned were cow comfort and efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Lads that have the dumpline. Do you actually use it?
    Would you manage just aswell with buckets?

Once u get used to a dump line u wouldn't be without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭slippy wicket

Heres a quote I got last year.

14 unit non-recording

1 1600 vac. pump
    1 4hp direct drive motor
    elec. 2x2 pulsation
    S/s receiving unit w fmp 110 milk pump
    air purge to bulk tank
    75mm vac. line
    76mm s/s milk line
    52mm low level wash line w swing out jetters
    14 mc 31 clusters
    14 swing over arms
    dump line complete
    14 150b cluster removers
    f17 indicator meters and samplers

14 unit rails n gates

14 unit troughs et al

14 cashman air feeders + gubbins

=== 63800 + vat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Heres a quote I got last year.

14 unit non-recording

1 1600 vac. pump
    1 4hp direct drive motor
    elec. 2x2 pulsation
    S/s receiving unit w fmp 110 milk pump
    air purge to bulk tank
    75mm vac. line
    76mm s/s milk line
    52mm low level wash line w swing out jetters
    14 mc 31 clusters
    14 swing over arms
    dump line complete
    14 150b cluster removers
    f17 indicator meters and samplers

14 unit rails n gates

14 unit troughs et al

14 cashman air feeders + gubbins

=== 63800 + vat
    What make ? because delaval and dairymaster would add 20000 to that quote

cute geoge wrote: »
    What make ? because delaval and dairymaster would add 20000 to that quote

That's delaval actually, it'd be our second from the same company if we go ahead with it.
    We've left a good few thousands with them since they fitted the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Sterling ?

cute geoge wrote: »
    Sterling ?

No that's euro.
    I'm in Wexford.

• Advertisement

What would you install if getting back into milk bbam? Also regards centre 2'2" or 2'6"? Just curious wht ya think

Didnt milk, but worked at installs and servicing for years..

I'd break me hole to get a new parlour in... unless going above 12 units I wouldn't mind any centre variation as 3ft can make an existing shed work fine and save a wad of cash.. Cluster removers only on over 14 units
    2x2 pulsation...

If money was an obstacle, go very basic but ensure its fitted to upgrade as time goes bye.. Only consider Alfa stuff, Dairymaster a near second, maybe decide based on which has a good local service man..

bbam wrote: »
    Didnt milk, but worked at installs and servicing for years..

I'd break me hole to get a new parlour in... unless going above 12 units I wouldn't mind any centre variation as 3ft can make an existing shed work fine and save a wad of cash.. Cluster removers only on over 14 units
    2x2 pulsation...

If money was an obstacle, go very basic but ensure its fitted to upgrade as time goes bye.. Only consider Alfa stuff, Dairymaster a near second, maybe decide based on which has a good local service man..

That's gas spent a long time researching mine and wouldn't touch a dairy master,.poor quality build,loads of plastic ,4x o pulsation and hoares to deal with but re price etc.best parlours IMO ,Gea and ,full wood .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭jaymla627

mahoney_j wrote: »
    That's gas spent a long time researching mine and wouldn't touch a dairy master,.poor quality build,loads of plastic ,4x o pulsation and hoares to deal with but re price etc.best parlours IMO ,Gea and ,full wood .

The English phrase for dairy master parlours is Lego-sets and its no word of a lie......

I serviced some Dairymaster units in the past and thought the quality better than Fullwood or Gascoine.

From a technical perspective Fullwood and Gascoine would have been we'll behind, vacuum control and pulsation characteristics of them were poor and barely meeting minimum standards.

While you will pay more up front an Alfa unit will perform better and last longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭John_F

the dairymaster machines of the 80's and early 90's were actually not that bad, its when they started to get bigger and using plastic instead of stainless it seems to have lost the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Kk man

Went to see some parlours to try make up my mind and I have to say Fullwood has impressed me . The level of fitting and the finish was to perfection nearly too good for my set up
    They seem to be similar in price with all the rest when priced like for like but I do feel there mangers have huge benefits and worth extra
    Any one see new fullwood parlours recently ?

Advertisement