Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the prices ever drop? (Semi-Rant)

Options
  • 28-02-2014 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭

Thief released today, and it's €69.99 in Gamestop. Come on, now that's taking the mickey a little bit is it not? I remember buying my PS4 in Gamestop back in early December and I asked the lad in there "will the prices come down eventually?" he said "more than likely". I've been taking his word on it ever since.

I had to laugh at the price of Thief though, seriously. 70 quid?

Handy rant for the morning done and over with now.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

People have short term memories. On release 360 and PS3 new releases were 70-80 euro. It will stay this way for a while until the install base grows and the game stores start competing against each other.

Either that or get a PC where you can get it for 25 euro or look for a better deal online (if it's region free look into importing).

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭RaZzZz

I have a PS4 but opted to buy Thief for 19.99 for the PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I wouldn't expect to see an in-store game price drop for a minimum of 12 months. I remember when Call of Duty 4 was released at seeing it in HMV for 57.99 and thinking "Wow, what a bargain". Even at that stage of the 360 lifecycle (2 years in) games were generally €70 new.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

From Playstation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I bought Battlefield 4 and Premium for the PS4. Cost €100 plus but I still consider it good value. Gone out for a few beers before and spent an awful lot more and came home with no shoes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

have a look on www.videogamesplus.ca and be prepared to be sick. Way cheaper that the rip-off merchants here. you do have to wait the best part of 10 days for the game, but i know i'd be happier waiting that paying a hell of alot extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I presume the cost is down to the PS4/XBONE probably selling at a loss initially until it becomes cheaper to manufacture. They'll recoup millions on the price of the games for at least a year I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Also would people please stop buying from Gamestop FFS? Brick and mortar overheads are also causing these big prices

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Might be a good idea to change the thread title to a more specifc "Will the initial close-to-RRP next-gen console game prices ever drop? (Semi-Rant)" since they're essentially separate and very different questions depending on platform.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I remember thinking "I can't wait for games to be available on digital download and be much cheaper since they can cut out the middle man".

Yeah, good luck with that (sales excluded of course).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I have a copy of Madden 08 for the 360 here that I bought in Virgin, I always leave the stickers on my games and movies. It was €79.99.

Blue Dragon on the 360 was €74.99 around the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Kiith wrote: »
    I remember thinking "I can't wait for games to be available on digital download and be much cheaper since they can cut out the middle man".

As did most people it seems. What these folk seem to have misunderstood is a) the percentage of the final retail cost devoted to covering packaging and distribution costs and, more importantly, b) third party digital distribution services are still middle men.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

physical media.... oh wow, nostalgic. :)

Seriously though, PC's pay for themselves when you consider the shocking cost of console games compared to Steam. I'm playing through some awesome classic games at the moment (Splinter Cell Chaos Theory etc) for the cost of like, 3 dollars. Multiple indie games like Brothers, Dungeon of the Endless and Banished for less than 20 dollars. Even the big releases like Battlefield 4 were cheaper in digital form.

I dont hate consoles btw, I have one of each type, but the prices for the games are shocking. My advice is pick and choose your games, and stop buying the "big releases" when you can get 5 recent hits for the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I got my PS3 a year after launch and all of the games at that stage were 59.99 - 69.99.

I think it was at least another year until the sub €50 price mark was the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    People have short term memories. On release 360 and PS3 new releases were 70-80 euro. It will stay this way for a while until the install base grows and the game stores start competing against each other.

Either that or get a PC where you can get it for 25 euro or look for a better deal online (if it's region free look into importing).

I (well my parents) paid something like 70 pounds for Street Fighter 2 on the SNES, it might have been even more, games have always been pricey unless it's on pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Here is my rant: Stop shopping in the most expensive shop that has a really bad history of jacking up prices and then complaining that they are so expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Well consider this; The PS4 was the first time I ever bought a console straight away after it launched. I got an Xbox 360 in Christmas 2007. Not so much short term memory but I was only 16 when the 360 came out.

So, this is the first time I've learned of such high price of games for a new console.

In regards to your advice, I'll stick to using the console and I will wait on the prices to go down. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

DeVore wrote: »
    Even the big releases like Battlefield 4 were cheaper in digital form.
    yeah, BF4 + Premium cost me a whopping 45euro a week after release on PC :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

gamercfc wrote: »

In regards to your advice, I'll stick to using the console and I will wait on the prices to go down. Thanks

Or just buy it online now if you really want it and are not willing to wait out the bricks and mortar price drops? Even Amazon has it for around fifty euro (although the ever reliable VGPlus is almost always the cheapest option), which isn't 'cheap' but certainly significantly more reasonable than GameStop will charge.

New console games are always costly, especially in GameStop, and that's always to be a given if you're an early adopter for a new machine. Never been fewer reasons to put up with it though: much better offers for those who are patient or willing to go online :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

krudler wrote: »
    I (well my parents) paid something like 70 pounds for Street Fighter 2 on the SNES, it might have been even more, games have always been pricey unless it's on pc.

I paid IR£70 for an import of SFII Turbo and another 20 for the adapter! I remember Hellfire for the Megadrive being some stupid price like £65 also.

We've never had it so good! You can easily get top notch games for €10 for PS3/360, how can anyone complain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

DeVore wrote: »

Seriously though, PC's pay for themselves when you consider the shocking cost of console games compared to Steam. I'm playing through some awesome classic games at the moment (Splinter Cell Chaos Theory etc) for the cost of like, 3 dollars.

I got splinter cell, splinter cell: pandora tomorrow and splinter cell: Chaos theory on PSN, all for €4.49:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

hallo dare wrote: »
    have a look on www.videogamesplus.ca and be prepared to be sick. Way cheaper that the rip-off merchants here. you do have to wait the best part of 10 days for the game, but i know i'd be happier waiting that paying a hell of alot extra.

Will these games work in Irish machines ?

Will customers hit ya with a fee ?

Whats the shipping to Ireland ?

Or just buy it online now if you really want it and are not willing to wait out the bricks and mortar price drops? Even Amazon has it for around fifty euro (although the ever reliable VGPlus is almost always the cheapest option), which isn't 'cheap' but certainly significantly more reasonable than GameStop will charge.

New console games are always costly, especially in GameStop, and that's always to be a given if you're an early adopter for a new machine. Never been fewer reasons to put up with it though: much better offers for those who are patient or willing to go online :)

I do take all of your advice and I am aware I can buy online for a cheaper option. The price of Thief was just used as an example since it just came out today, I wasn't going to buy it. I don't intend on buying it, not a fan of the series but I digress.

I think most people replying misread my post. I wasn't looking for the cheapest option to buy games I was mainly just asking, in general, when the prices will drop for the RRP of the games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Will these games work in Irish machines ?

Yes, plus you get to use the DLC (again, way cheaper) if you make a US account. This can be then used on your Irish psn account.

Will customers hit ya with a fee ?

Minimal chance, as vgp mark the package as low cost, dvd

Whats the shipping to Ireland ?

€5

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

penev10 wrote: »
    I paid IR£70 for an import of SFII Turbo and another 20 for the adapter! I remember Hellfire for the Megadrive being some stupid price like £65 also.

We've never had it so good! You can easily get top notch games for €10 for PS3/360, how can anyone complain.

That's the thing, if you play catchup or wait even a few weeks you'll get stuff way cheaper, I know it's nice playing things at launch when there's a buzz and people are chatting about it like GTAV or something but there's plenty of games I missed out on and got months later really cheap, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

RaZzZz wrote: »
    I have a PS4 but opted to buy Thief for 19.99 for the PC.

What's the point of having a PS4 then? I'm all for PC gaming but this kind of confuses me. What games would you choose PS4 over PC for aside from the exclusives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Kiith wrote: »

They work out approximately $7 cheaper to buy digitally in Canada

What's the point of having a PS4 then? I'm all for PC gaming but this kind of confuses me. What games would you choose PS4 over PC for aside from the exclusives?

I would imagine Thief having full gamepad support for PC if it registers into Steam, and if his PC runs it I wouldn't see why not? He would get the same experience plus Steam do achievements aswell if its compatible with Steam in the first place (this is based on what i would do if i had the above options, but I would save that conversation for another thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I got a beefy PC and PS4. I want my ps4 for when I am having a lazy day in recliner chair with gamepad in hands.

I am a huge fan of Diablo 3 and most likely I will be getting it on both platforms. To be honest I am more excited about ps4 version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

People need to stop shopping in Gamestop. They're the most expensive place you can buy games, have terrible customer service and rip-off trade-in deals.

Advertisement