Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not The Trivial things that make you happy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

TH I got really good customer service somewhere yesterday from someone and in a place I wasn't expecting. I detected that staff member possibly had a mild learning disabilty and in some situations might even be bullied or mocked but they really went out of their way to help me and helped me save money too which was a plus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Rescuing a little fly from my glass of wine and letting him stay on my hand until he dries off his little wings and then flies away in a drunken stupor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

That sounds like the best way to die, face down submerged in wine.

Trivially happy for teamwork

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

I get such happiness out of a cup of tea or a coffee.. it's the simply things really. It makes it more comforting when someone makes me cup of tea, it's like a hug from the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Total peace and quiet on my lunchbreak.

I'm like the friggin Dalai Lama now in work :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Thanks to this thread in the Cool Links & Vids forum, I've now been introduced to the wonders of the vaporwave microgenre of music.
    Emailed my brother the Dr. Zaius remix and he in turn told me to look up an artist known as Com Truise. Listening to him on Spotify and I love it! I'm normally not one for electronica but this stuff is really chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Great service in a restaurant.
    Water topped up... friendly.... Not overbearing.... Always there when you need and asks at just the right time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

A Nice cup of Coffee, not that excuse for coffee but an actual nice cup of coffee.
    Oh and a good book, especially that moment where you realise that it's a good book, the type that changes your perspective after you read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Driving home from work I passed a young lad at a crossroads waiting for a lift. He was all dressed up in a tux, clearly on his way to his debs. Looking mortified as he saluted the cars of people he knew :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

fast forwarding through sh*tty TV adverts when you've recorded a TV show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭worded

McChubbin wrote: »
    Thanks to this thread in the Cool Links & Vids forum, I've now been introduced to the wonders of the vaporwave microgenre of music.
    Emailed my brother the Dr. Zaius remix and he in turn told me to look up an artist known as Com Truise. Listening to him on Spotify and I love it! I'm normally not one for electronica but this stuff is really chill.

Any you tube link ?

My dog. He's so loyal. I love him so much. He has a beautiful very comfy bed that he loves to sleep in when I am nearby. When I go to bed, he leaves his bed and lays outside my bedroom door waiting for me to get up. He stays there all night. If I get up in the middle of the night, he's there.

When I take a shower in the morning, he's conflicted. He hates the shower, he's so scared of it. But he gets very stressed out when I'm in it. He alternates between sitting at the door howling, or running in and trying to open the door with his big huge paws bashing the glass. I think he tries to get me out.

Tonight they got out to the front of the house before I was out of the car. He was hopping up and down barking like mad. When I eventually opened the car door, he jumped in on top of me, and smothered me with kisses. He was so happy to see me.

I wish there was less people and more dogs in the world.

http://cdn.earthporm.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/china-1300-stray-dog-shelter-wang-yanfang-7.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

worded wrote: »
    Any you tube link ?
    Woops! My bad- here's a link to his In Decay album. You can also find him on Spotify. Great way to spend an evening in. :)

Back on topic: Finding new music is always fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

cool pillows..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

My cat is sleeping on my tummy. She's so warm and cuddly!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Yesterday I met people I hadn't seen since I was a child, but it was if we had met only days ago. Such a warm welcome, it restores your faith in people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Random acts of kindness by strangers and for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

When I got to the luas station this morning there was a tram already pulled in. As I was wearing silly shoes and the walk over to it was a good 30 feet, I took my time as I had decided I wouldn't make it. Then as I got closer I found myself hoping it would move off but it stayed.... When I got to the platform and tagged on, the driver beckoned to me to get on - he'd been waiting! :) I felt like a diva lol, a bit embarrassing but he was so nice :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

I saw an old man eating rice krispies earlier and it made my heart do a little smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Story Bud? wrote: »
    I saw an old man eating rice krispies earlier and it made my heart do a little smile.

I saw 2 nuns doing their shopping yesterday for their convent.
    They had 8 boxes of Honey Nut Loops!!
    And boring old me has porridge every morning and these nuns are living it up! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Just passed a man with a dog swimming into the river to catch a tennis ball. Beautiful black retriever mix type. Bounds out and showers us all :) Mad for the play - an absolute beauty!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I saw 2 nuns doing their shopping yesterday for their convent.
    They had 8 boxes of Honey Nut Loops!!
    And boring old me has porridge every morning and these nuns are living it up! :D

A friend of mine was shopping in Tesco once and saw two nuns with a bottle of Baileys having an intense discussion. She took a sneaky pic because it made her laugh so much, she thought it was mighty altogether :) I don't know why we tend to think of nuns as tee-totallers, eating gruel all day everyday but it does make you laugh when you see them doing normal things, just with a habit on :) I think it's because they tend to be older as well, it just reminds you of your Granny or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    A friend of mine was shopping in Tesco once and saw two nuns with a bottle of Baileys having an intense discussion. She took a sneaky pic because it made her laugh so much, she thought it was mighty altogether :) I don't know why we tend to think of nuns as tee-totallers, eating gruel all day everyday but it does make you laugh when you see them doing normal things, just with a habit on :) I think it's because they tend to be older as well, it just reminds you of your Granny or something!

My great aunt was a nun and she used to come to ours for her holidays. This is back in the 70s.
    I can still remember her arriving in her Habit.
    She would go straight to her room to change in to a normal frock and cardigan and then spend the rest of her holdiay sitting in the living room smoking and drinking gin and tonics.
    It was her release and she was such good fun we were happy for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

reap-a-rat wrote: »

Nothing wrong with nuns drinking, once they don't make a habit of it.

There's a homeless man that begs near my job. When I started working in Dublin I was quite naieve and felt very sorry for everyone I saw on the streets and around that time I would always get him tea and cake. Because clearly you can't have tea and not have cake. Anyway, even though I became a bit desensitised to seeing homeless beg, he was always my favourite and I would never pass him without buying him tea. He knows I don't give cash so would never even ask.

We started having a bit of chats, he'd tell me a bit about himself, I'd tell him a bit about me, learned each other's names. A few months ago I was out one night and a bit drunk and met him, I was in a panic trying to get my bus to get home and had no glasses, so he was checking buses etc for me and decided a taxi was the best option, so he made sure I got back home on time only for him I'd have been stuck in town.

Well today I met him after not seeing him for ages, and he stopped me and with the biggest grin he said he had a lot of good news for me. He's sorted accommodation for himself and will be off the streets in the next few days. Various charities have worked hard for him and things are looking up. I'm THRILLED. I'm beyond happy. He stood up and gave me a big hug and a big kiss and told me thanks for being there for him. I wasn't even. It was only a few euro a few times a week but he was so genuinely happy and thankful and excited to tell me his good news I actually feel like I'm sitting on a cloud I'm so happy for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

That's not trivial at all, that's brilliant news for him and you definitely get brownie points for being a good person!

Reading a nice story (yes, about a homeless man's life working out...) Is a trivial thing that has made me happy. :)

Feck this craic. It's Friday.

I'm off to the shop for TREEEEETTSSSS!! :D

Oh what shall I get. What shall I buy.
    All of the goodies for me to try.
    Will it be crisps or creamy ice
    Some biscuits or chocolate mice!

:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

everlast75 wrote: »
    fast forwarding through sh*tty TV adverts when you've recorded a TV show
    fast forwarding and stopping exactly when the ad break is over

or watching a film on RTE at Christmas and you realise there's no ad breaks \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I bought myself a Kellogs cereal variety pack and am currently drinking Cocopops straight from the packet! :) Yum yum. I feel like a bold child!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭caille

There's a homeless man that begs near my job. When I started working in Dublin I was quite naieve and felt very sorry for everyone I saw on the streets and around that time I would always get him tea and cake. Because clearly you can't have tea and not have cake. Anyway, even though I became a bit desensitised to seeing homeless beg, he was always my favourite and I would never pass him without buying him tea. He knows I don't give cash so would never even ask.

We started having a bit of chats, he'd tell me a bit about himself, I'd tell him a bit about me, learned each other's names. A few months ago I was out one night and a bit drunk and met him, I was in a panic trying to get my bus to get home and had no glasses, so he was checking buses etc for me and decided a taxi was the best option, so he made sure I got back home on time only for him I'd have been stuck in town.

Well today I met him after not seeing him for ages, and he stopped me and with the biggest grin he said he had a lot of good news for me. He's sorted accommodation for himself and will be off the streets in the next few days. Various charities have worked hard for him and things are looking up. I'm THRILLED. I'm beyond happy. He stood up and gave me a big hug and a big kiss and told me thanks for being there for him. I wasn't even. It was only a few euro a few times a week but he was so genuinely happy and thankful and excited to tell me his good news I actually feel like I'm sitting on a cloud I'm so happy for him

Reading this post has made me so happy!! You are such a good person, I bet you anything that you made a big difference to this man's life with your time and kindness and that might have motivated him further to get himself off the streets.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement