Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to start?

Options
  • 27-02-2014 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys, I'm wondering what the best way to go about getting a start on deer stalking is? I have always wanted to do it, but have never known anyone who does so it has always seemed like a hard thing to get in to.. I'm aware of the permissions required etc. However I would not apply for these, or ask for permissions on land without any experience!! Are there any facilities/groups around that cater for somebody that just wants to tag along and gain experience in the sport? I obviously wouldn't mind doing heavy lifting and making sure I took care of myself... I'm just asking for advice here any would be great, I'm trying to get in to the sport just like you guys..
    Thanks,
    Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

Hi mark ,

The fact that u are new to boards and asking about Deer will leave people very weary ,

Where ya from mate , and what ur hunting experience ,

Have you rifles , etc

• Registered Users Posts: 6 markgil

Hi TriggerPL,

Thanks for the reply, I'm aware that there could be some suspicion re. someone just popping into a forum and asking questions like this..
    I'm from Dublin, I spent a lot of time in the Dublin/Wicklow mountains hiking/cycling.. I honestly have no hunting experience nor do I own any rifles, I'm just trying to find out the best way to get a chance to tag along on some stalking and gain experience that way..(like are there any clubs/organisations that might facilitate this) I'm finding myself in a bit of a catch22 as I'd never ask for permissions/buy a rifle/even consider starting the process etc. without any experience. It seems hard to get any experience without knowing someone on the scene..
    I'm aware I could come across like an eager newbie, I'm just trying to find out a route that would eventually lead me to gaining enough experience in the sport...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭valerossi

The best way to make connections is to get yourself a small rifle, simply to get to grasps with the sport. Once you have say a .22 or something join a range or club then you can meet like minded people who can help you out.
    If your interested in getting a rifle you'll find all info you need here.
    I think it will be difficult for you to get a deer caliber rifle with no experience even with permissions so start with a smaller caliber to learn what you need to no it's a steep learning curve but you'll enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

What valerossi said!

It will be much easier to start of hunting small game, join a gun club, even start off with a shotgun, doing pigeon, pheasant etc to get yourself started.

Then move on to other stuff, the smaller calibre rifle as well for getting used to a rifle, taking rabbits etc. Get into the mindset of shooting for the table etc, because in reality, not much difference between gutting a rabbit and grill aching a deer (there are differences, I know, but much better to learn in a rabbit than a deer).

It's a great way to live, a great lifestyle, go for it. I got into shooting with my local gun club first, mostly pheasant duck and pigeon, I think that's the way to go about it if I was starting from fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭TriggerPL

There a couple of guy up aground that area ,

I wouldn't buy nothing yet , there is no point in shelling out for gun and licence and mayb a safe. , and not like the sport.

Deer shooting is not something to take likely.

As I said to a mate when he shot his first deer a few years back , just as he knocked his deer , I said now the fun starts ! He replyed what do ya mean ? By the time we got the deer down off the mountain and back to the jeep , he was getting the picture.

U have got to take into consideration , the meat and the process of getting it butcher, and a place to skin it . A fridge to put it in .

The worste part is ur timing the season is over tomorrow , and does not start till September first . But that give you time to research , get to know guys ere , ask questions and when guys think u can be trusted then u might get the offer of tagging along .

There is lots to learn . So start now. , know what your looking at weather it be sika or red , fallow , stag or buck , doe yearling , spiker , pricket all things u need to learn .

And ul get help along the way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I hate to sound pessimistic, but if you have absolutely no contacts with gun owners from any aspects of shooting you've an up hill struggle. Most of us where brought on through family or friends etc. Your never too old to start but realisticly you need an in from family, friends or even someone from work etc, there's a certain level of trust that is needed in these circumstances.

If none of the above can be used then as suggested here a membership to a club/range may be your only option. Even before this, range open days or commercial sessions on clay grounds would be in order. Remember not all who can shoot can hunt, so there is another step to be made from targets to live quary.

I myself with experience of small game hunting since child hood, experienced in firearms etc, spent a dear season and a bit before I was put behind a gun for a shot and this is with people I know and had hunted birds with so it is and rightly so a slow progress.

Go to the ranges have a go, get the basics of safety and shooting skills and take it from there. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭BillyBoy13

I know most hunters on here hate the idea of 'getting certified'. But I think for someone such as yourself the HCAP would be a great starting point.

Basically its a course that takes you through everything you would need to know about deer stalking in Ireland. You learn about deer biology, shot placement, types of deer, recognising a diseased deer (is he fit for consumption or does he have TB) to understanding herd management (dont just shoot the biggest lad in the bunch) right through to the various laws and seasons etc. And then they also go through the practical side, like what rifle to get, stalking techniques, gralloching etc.

For someone such as yourself that's at the very beginning and doesnt have anyone to help you out or show you the ropes it would be a great way to learn and meet like minded people who are also just starting out and you never know might get lucky and get a few offers of a day out.

http://www.deeralliance.ie/certification

Plus since its your first licence you would need to have proof of competency or Garda Siochana wont grant your licence... it would be a good way to tick that box. 2 birds and 1 stone.

EDIT: Or if you're on a budget you could skip the course/exams and just buy the manual and self study at home.

http://www.deeralliance.ie/hcap-stalker-manual

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭underthetumb

I was in the same boat as yourself 7/8 years ago, I new no one in the shooting community, new nothing about deer stalking. I just seen my 6th year stalking, I have some fantastic permissions, and a great group(4 of us) that enjoy some great days out stalking. What I am saying is, it's by no means impossible, I found it daunting all that had to be done to get fully set up, but give it a go, you won't look back. And as said you have 6 months to get cracking before next season.

Guys thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it!
    From browsing around the forums and reading up a bit I thought that there was some negative attitudes towards the HACP and Coilte in general.. People were saying it was needless, but it must be from the point of view of an experienced hunter (paying money to do something they already know how to do) I think in my case it might be a good starting point(it may be my only option!)... As for getting a rifle and joining a club, I thought you needed the reason for ownership before you got the liscence, so I might join a club first... (if that order makes sense) or even attend a competency course course like this: http://www.courtlough.ie/shooting-courses/lessons/firearms-competency-course/
    Do you guys have any opinions on a course like this? or is it a bit of a money spinner?..From my understanding of the HCAP I would need a bit of experience shooting for the range test that they do.... @TriggerPL I know man, I'm asking all these questions right at the end of the season but I suppose I have a lot of learning to do! thanks for the help :)
    Thanks for the input guys I appreciate it! Any opinions on the way to go are really appreciated!

I was in the same boat as yourself 7/8 years ago, I new no one in the shooting community, new nothing about deer stalking. I just seen my 6th year stalking, I have some fantastic permissions, and a great group(4 of us) that enjoy some great days out stalking. What I am saying is, it's by no means impossible, I found it daunting all that had to be done to get fully set up, but give it a go, you won't look back. And as said you have 6 months to get cracking before next season.

Thanks underthetumb That's good to hear. Do you mind me asking if the route you took was anything like what I have in mind above? as in, HCAP then maybe a gun club etc? Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Not sure of the content of all the above posts, but i'm sure the lads have steered you right. just one thing i want to add (sorry if it's been said already), but ya picked a bad time to ask kid.

The season for deer ends tomorrow. Meaning no more shooting. Now some lads will have section 42s (allows for the shooting of deer outside the season under special license), but for the majority there will be no more shooting until Sept 1st.

I would suggest you follow the advice from the lads above and use this time to get yourself a firearm, get in as much practice, and experience as you can and then a month before the new season ask the same question.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭4200fps

As said on all the above but a guy in Galway was onto me before about showing him the ropes of a different shooting forum, he was in same situation. There was a little problem, he claimed he didnt know where there was deer and expected me to show him areas I shoot. If i did id have the risk of coming back to a permission full of deers bellys that were dropped out and what not. That was a possibility. I did offer to show him the ropes if he could provide a permission that land owner would allow me to shoot on. I never heard from the chap again for obivious reasons. Tomorrow is last day of season till September next so you will have to wait till then if you get offered a days stalking. Last thing not being smart its a sport that nobody will share locations, experience unless you make good friendship and share trust with the other party. Its a species thats close to extension in many areas of the country and an expensive but enjoyable hobby depending how you approach the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

As I'm near the end if my first season.
    Let me give you some advice. Decide what you wanna do and start the process start knocking on doors start looking at guns. If your waiting for someone to get you going it will never happen.

Granted you will meet one or two that is willing to help ( I did thank god ). But you need to grab the bull by the horns and go at it. Start talking about it to other people you will be very surprise who knows who that's into it. And until people see you struggling that's when they will help. Unfortunately.

As lads have said you will appriate the risk of bringing a complete stranger to your land when you realise how hard got it is.

I was waiting and waiting and asking lads to bring me out. For 4-5 years then one guy did 4 years ago tomorrow and I've done everything I could to get land since. And got my first license this year. And I still need to up my game for more land.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭underthetumb

Can't agree more, I had a small bit of permission100/200acres needed to apply for my licene, however I went the Coillte route, I am still on a lease with the same lads as back then. I now have 3000+ acres of my own permissions. Can't say it enough, knock on doors, don't mind hearing no, when you get a yes the ball will start rolling.

Guys thanks for all the replies and help!
    I have my work cut out for me :) I'll keep posting and let you all know how I am getting on in the process!
    Thanks again!
    Mark

Advertisement