Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8Radio

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 loumasry

Heading home to Portumna this weekend. Fingers crossed I can pick it up - would be nice to hear something different while I'm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Just had Ipsos MRBI at the door asking about radio listenership. 8radio is genuinely the only thing I've listened to on the radio over the last month. When I said I don't really listen to the radio since Phantom/TXFM she said she's heard it a fair bit today.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I reckon TXFM listenership quadrupled since it closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Having updated my phone and downloaded the 8Radio app recently, I have started tuning in a few times in the last week. I was listening to it this evening for a while. Simon Maher was on. It's great to hear live programming and it does sound like the old Phantom in style, i.e pirate and temporary license phases and of course Mr. Maher!

Long may this radio project continue. It really is a quirky and exciting musical alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Fairly blatant plug here, so mods delete at will if it infringes the rules. People ask about the financial side of things and how niche stations might be viable and this article covers that in a more business-oriented way than might be the case in more pop-culture articles:

http://businessandfinance.com/no-maher-heroes-anymore/?ref

Simon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

SimonMaher wrote: »
    Fairly blatant plug here, so mods delete at will if it infringes the rules. People ask about the financial side of things and how niche stations might be viable and this article covers that in a more business-oriented way than might be the case in more pop-culture articles:

http://businessandfinance.com/no-maher-heroes-anymore/?ref

Simon

Simon,

Good article, but unless I missed it, it skirts around how Revenue is generated.

Simon,

Good article, but unless I missed it, it skirts around how Revenue is generated.

Fair question Avatar - I've just been answering it for a listener on Facebook :)

"In revenue terms, it has to be a mixture of older traditional sources (Spot advertising to you and me) combined with Sponsorship and Promotions and a focus on event based revenue (joint ventures with promoters etc) and of course working to maximise the digital revenue available. It's tight, but if the output of the station is right, then is very do-able given the opportunity!"

Simon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Having updated my phone and downloaded the 8Radio app recently, I have started tuning in a few times in the last week. I was listening to it this evening for a while. Simon Maher was on. It's great to hear live programming and it does sound like the old Phantom in style, i.e pirate and temporary license phases and of course Mr. Maher!

Long may this radio project continue. It really is a quirky and exciting musical alternative.

Touché. Fantastic music it's hard to find anywhere else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Fair question Avatar - I've just been answering it for a listener on Facebook :)

"In revenue terms, it has to be a mixture of older traditional sources (Spot advertising to you and me) combined with Sponsorship and Promotions and a focus on event based revenue (joint ventures with promoters etc) and of course working to maximise the digital revenue available. It's tight, but if the output of the station is right, then is very do-able given the opportunity!"

Simon

So the change is really more on the expenditure side? i.e. keep costs as low as possible and keep it viable that way?

So the change is really more on the expenditure side? i.e. keep costs as low as possible and keep it viable that way?

Hey Former,

Several measures of viability for a niche service. First, and most important of course is to develop a radio station that serves its niche well and builds an audience.

In balance sheet terms though, yes, keeping costs low is going to be massively important. First target is cost recovery and then the challenge is to grow revenue to provide a return/allow for growth etc.

In terms of revenue, the world has moved on from the old 30" spot model. New niche stations (and doubtless all stations eventually) have to be able to provide a whole pile of "solutions" to use the marketing-speak to advertisers and agencies to get them to spend. There's still plenty of spend out there, challenge is to get it to radio and your station in particular.

Simon

• Advertisement

Simon

Thanks Simon,

Thinking about this - being able to provide streaming/website hit numbers etc is more akin to the US TV ratings where they follow track TV watched rather than rely on the ropey JNLR's surveys, so this could be to your advantage in time.

The metric would probably want to be independently verified to get significant traction, but it's the future I'd say.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

This might be a good source of income for 8radio

http://www.thejournal.ie/kinvara-fm-radio-station-galway-3539410-Aug2017/

I'd be happy to pay a subscription for a good radio station. Maybe this or Patreon could work, where subscribers get access to content earlier or extra interview etc.

I think people are starting to realise that they may have to pay if they want a top service. You pay for something like netflix so why not pay a small amount a year to help fund a good radio station.

You pay for something like netflix so why not pay a small amount a year to help fund a good radio station.

You'd have to have an access only by pay module, and that would be practically impossible with Radio. Even the likes of Netflix have their problems with pirates.

"model" not module. Can't see to edit at the moment.

You'd have to have an access only by pay module, and that would be practically impossible with Radio. Even the likes of Netflix have their problems with pirates.

No you wouldn't, The likes of podcasts that use Patreon are accessible by everyone but create extra content that only Patreon subscribers get.

No you wouldn't, The likes of podcasts that use Patreon are accessible by everyone but create extra content that only Patreon subscribers get.

I don't think it would be suitable to music you don't own yourself, serious rights issues. What type of podcast would a radio station do that would generate money? Who would be the subject of the podcast, and how much would they charge? It's hard to see it work.

I don't think it would be suitable to music you don't own yourself, serious rights issues. What type of podcast would a radio station do that would generate money? Who would be the subject of the podcast, and how much would they charge? It's hard to see it work.

You could have things like early release of interviews or longer interviews with guests. A mini podcast with the djs on what music they recommend this week. Maybe special offers from sponsors , like money off certain products. If you have a merc store you could off 10% off.

I think there are lots of things you could include that wouldn't involve music directly so there would be no rights issues.

The listener-supported model is used quite a bit for niche radio around the world. Increasingly, some broadcasters are turning to a sort of hybrid model where some of their revenue is Commercial (ads, sponsorship, banners etc) while another part of their revenue comes from Listener support. Probably the closest we would have here would be the Christian radio station Spirit FM.

It's used a lot in Australia and the US in particular. If you're a real nerd like me, this article might be of interest:

https://hudsonvalleyone.com/2017/03/27/can-a-commercial-radio-station-also-be-listener-supported/

Definitely something that an operation like 8Radio.com would have to (and has!) considered. For us, we'll see what comes out of the recent BAI Expression of Interest phase and make our future planning decisions from there.

Simon

The listener-supported model is used quite a bit for niche radio around the world. Increasingly, some broadcasters are turning to a sort of hybrid model where some of their revenue is Commercial (ads, sponsorship, banners etc) while another part of their revenue comes from Listener support. Probably the closest we would have here would be the Christian radio station Spirit FM.

It's used a lot in Australia and the US in particular. If you're a real nerd like me, this article might be of interest:

https://hudsonvalleyone.com/2017/03/27/can-a-commercial-radio-station-also-be-listener-supported/

Definitely something that an operation like 8Radio.com would have to (and has!) considered. For us, we'll see what comes out of the recent BAI Expression of Interest phase and make our future planning decisions from there.

Simon

Interesting article. It is hybrid model I was thinking of. I think the other benefit of listener support model would be that it creates more of community feel and makes people feel more involved in the station.

Maybe a side-effect of this would be that you have more demanding listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I got a standalone internet radio at Xmas, so have been listening to a lot more 8Radio recently.

I've got to say, the repetition and lack of variety of songs is kind of annoying.

I've heard Beck's "Dear Life" 3 times in the last week, even though it was released in September, heard Lou Reed's Perfect Day at least twice in the last week. new songs are worse, I've heard the new Dave Gahan and Le Boom songs more times in the last fortnight than I can possibly count. some Go Team single from last year and St. Vincent's album track Happy Birthday Johnny both several times.

I'm not even listening all that much, maybe an hour in the evenings, and a few hours over the weekend...

great music, aside from this minor complaint though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Completely agree. Great music but no variety at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Repetition is really obvious recently. Was listening it to over weekend in UK, my mates commented that they had heard the same songs a fair few times over the 2 days.
    I really only came on here to rant about the ads. I am so sick of the ad for Meh/Muh whatever way you spell it and death from above.... Was in shower when connection seemed to go, and I ended up hearing the two ads on loop until I got out..... And now they are all I hear every time I listen, I'm so sick of hearing those ads. I get they need advertising, it's just those 2 particular ads /acts that drive me feckin batty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Acosta

It was great when they were on FM radio last year for a week or two. I listened to it a lot. For such a small population we have so many radio stations playing exactly the same crap, only difference being you change a Dublin for a Kerry or a Waterford for a Galway. Music fans deserve something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

back on FM from next weekend for a few weekends:

http://8radio.com/?page_id=1992
    8Radio.com is brought to listeners through a variety of platforms, including live Internet streaming, Smartphone Applications, and now via a Temporary FM license. 8Radio.com is delighted to confirm that we will be broadcasting on Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays on FM to Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway during May and June 2018 and again at weekends in September and October 2018!

By broadcasting on FM, 8Radio.com believes there is an opportunity to further strengthen its audience and drive traffic towards its online presence. Additionally and importantly, it is hoped that these temporary FM broadcasts and the ongoing development of 8Radio.com will lead to the opportunity to apply for a full-time terrestrial broadcast licence using a business model designed to make the operation of independently owned niche radio stations financially viable while providing quality output.

Frequencies:

Dublin 105.2FM – Weekends (Saturday, Sunday and Monday) May 5th to June 4th 2018.

Cork 106.7FM – Weekends (Saturday, Sunday and Monday) May 5th to June 4th 2018.

Limerick 105.5FM – Weekends (Saturday, Sunday and Monday) May 5th to June 4th 2018.

Galway 87.7FM – Weekends (Saturday, Sunday and Monday) May 5th to June 4th 2018.

Our FM Broadcasts run from Friday night at Midnight to Midnight on Monday night under licence from the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland. Programming will continue on-line and on-demand as usual through the week at 8Radio.com and on our bespoke Smartphone Applications.

People often ask us about our philosophy, our USP and all that stuff. We sum it up this way: “We are black, we are white, we just say it, we just play music we like. We are uncomplicated, we don’t try to be cool, we just are who we are, people will like us or they won’t like us and that’s ok. We enjoy what we do, we share what we do, it’s not complicated, it’s so simple, its just 8. And in a world of complication and having to think and being shouted at isn’t it nice to just be with someone as simple and lovely as 8?”

A limited number of Sponsorship opportunities are available for 8Radio.com’s FM broadcasts and details can be found HERE.

8Radio.com is always open to new music submissions and tunes along with contact details should be emailed (MP3 192k or Higher) to music@8Radio.com or by post to 8Radio.com, 38A Camden Row, Dublin 8

Media/Sponsorship Contact Simon Maher – simon@8Radio.com – 087 2712321

W: 8Radio.com T: @8RadioIreland F: Facebook.com/8RadioIreland M: 8Radio.com, 38a Camden Row, Dublin 8 P: 085 745 0335

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

Wahey, the radio can once again be tuned to 105.2FM :-)

back on FM from next weekend for a few weekends:

http://8radio.com/?page_id=1992

Great to hear! Heard a few indie bands on Autism Radio on Friday afternoon, including former TX faves DBFC. I think that was a sign of things to come!

It's finally happening. Simon Maher is back on 105.2!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Brilliant news...Will we hear ed Sheehan then.....:)

Brilliant news...Will we hear ed Sheehan then.....:)

You won't :-)

• Advertisement

Since the last 8radio.com licence run, it has been joined by three ex-TXFM presenters: Derek Byrne, Paul Donegan and Paul Lynskey. The latter two (the 2 Pauls) were not with Phantom and would not have previously crossed paths on the radio with Mr. Maher. Derek Byrne was involved with Phantom as a fully-licensed station from an early stage.

Advertisement