Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dredd 2 Rumours

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be fair, the article above does say:

"You heard that right. Or at least, they are developing the story for it. After that, they are determining the right platform, be it Netflix, Amazon, a TV Series, or another movie."

Anyone can be develop a story or script - I'm sure Hollywoods landfills are full of spurned pages - it's whether they get a green light that counts & that quote does say there has been no such light yet. As said, seems like a lot of jumping to conclusions going on here.

A Netflix series would seem about the right fit were they to go down the digital route. Seems about the most likely scenario at this stage too.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think I'd prefer a Netflix tv series to a film aa long as the creative team stays the same.

• Oh man.. actually.. a Dredd TV show, starring Urban, and produced by Netflix would be incredible. Especially if they retain the level of violence. And if anyone has seen Sense8, you'll see that Netflix are not afraid to be full on R-Rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'd be much happier with a TV series than a sequel, more stories to tell and more Urban as Dredd :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

me too.

after the stellar job netflix did with daredevil a Dredd series could be complete badass.

and karl Urban seriously needs a new TV show to headline. almost human was class.

• Advertisement

• Almost Human was excellent, but the network had zero faith in it. They released the episodes out of sync, FFS! It had the potential to become the next Fringe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,726 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The out of sync airing was a really bizarre move, and I don't understood that strategy with TV Networks; what's the thinking behind it? Assuming the network has some desire to foster a successful show, there must be some misplaced logic that thinks it'll improve its prospects.

Beyond Urban and Michael Ealy's easy & fun chemistry though, I didn't see much in Almost Human to think it was cut off before its prime. Generic to a fault both as a sci-fi show (neon everywhere!) and crime procedural, and unlike Fringe never really suggested there was much beyond its slim premise.

• In fairness, I'm rewatching the first series of Fringe and it very much is a monster-of-the-week style affair. It definitely didn't grow into its own until later on, when the lore and overarching story came together. I'd say Almost Human would've been the same.

In fairness, I'm rewatching the first series of Fringe and it very much is a monster-of-the-week style affair. It definitely didn't grow into its own until later on, when the lore and overarching story came together. I'd say Almost Human would've been the same.

Yeah, recently re-watched Fringe myself & while the first season was definitely case-of-the-week, 'The Pattern' and the Observer appeared early enough and made it clear there were larger forces at work, keeping the drama bubbling over. Honestly, Almost Human never gave me an impression they even had a middle to long-term arc in mind; maybe they intended to introduce it later, in which case they possibly waited too long.

Honestly, it was the complete lack of a coherent aesthetic or world-building that rubbed me up the wrong way; just felt like they threw every sci-fi trope or cliché into a blender, or stuck some neon onto an umbrella or toilet because wooo, it's the future!. Channel 4's 'Humans' did a much better job of showing a functioning, living world where androids lived and worked among us.

Anyway, Dredd 2! I suspect this thread will come to life in another 6 months, the next time Karl Urban gets asked about this film. Feels like the longer it drags on less likely it's going to happen personally, if that window hasn't already closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a821027/dredd-adi-shankar-says-a-sequel-is-going-to-happen/

Dredd producer Adi Shankar says a sequel is "going to happen" - but it may not be live-action

"If anyone is still wondering, there's no update on a Dredd sequel, but I'm gonna make it happen at some point,"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

zerks wrote: »
    http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a821027/dredd-adi-shankar-says-a-sequel-is-going-to-happen/

Dredd producer Adi Shankar says a sequel is "going to happen" - but it may not be live-action

"If anyone is still wondering, there's no update on a Dredd sequel, but I'm gonna make it happen at some point,"

Disappointed really, it may have a 'sequel' but in a different format is a bit jarring. He's also working on the Castlevania animated series for Netflix, another one I was disappointed when they announced and found out it was animated as well, as good as it may potentially be in that form.

Something tells me Dredd 2 will be the topic Karl Urban will get asked most about from now til he's old and grey. I've resigned myself to it never happening st this stage, and while a Netflix series would be pretty awesome and a suitable home for the mythology, it just feels like it won't happen.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    Something tells me Dredd 2 will be the topic Karl Urban will get asked most about from now til he's old and grey. I've resigned myself to it never happening st this stage, and while a Netflix series would be pretty awesome and a suitable home for the mythology, it just feels like it won't happen.

Wouldn't be so sure, if they're making a habit of making series out of mediocre films like Shooter and Frequency they might actually adapt something decent at some stage.

Mickeroo wrote:
    Wouldn't be so sure, if they're making a habit of making series out of mediocre films like Shooter and Frequency they might actually adapt something decent at some stage.

Netflix made neither, they just bought the rights to them outside of the US.

Netflix made neither, they just bought the rights to them outside of the US.

Ah right, thought they were actual Netflix shows for some reason.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Ah right, thought they were actual Netflix shows for some reason.

Yeah Netflix have started doing that a lot lately, slapping 'Netflix original' at the front of shows released earlier on non online stations. The Expanse, Orphan Black, Travellers, and a whole bunch of CW stuff spring to immediate mind. I'd love to know what logic their using to rationalise a modest paycheque constituting 'original ' on their behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

pixelburp wrote: »
    Yeah Netflix have started doing that a lot lately, slapping 'Netflix original' at the front of shows released earlier on non online stations. The Expanse, Orphan Black, Travellers, and a whole bunch of CW stuff spring to immediate mind. I'd love to know what logic their using to rationalise a modest paycheque constituting 'original ' on their behalf.

I just assumed these were coproductions...?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Wether Netflix actually commissioned and produced something all by themselves is irrelevant once its made. It’s the distribution rights that matter. “Netflix original” means it’s exclusive to that region. It’s like a movie studio putting their logo in front of a film they picked up at a festival. They paid for it and they want people to know that they won’t find these films/shows on Amazon, etc because they own rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Wether Netflix actually commissioned and produced something all by themselves is irrelevant once its made. It’s the distribution rights that matter. “Netflix original” means it’s exclusive to that region. It’s like a movie studio putting their logo in front of a film they picked up at a festival. They paid for it and they want people to know that they won’t find these films/shows on Amazon, etc because they own rights.

I think they should use a different term. Like Netflix exclusive or something. In the beginning, at least here in the US they were pimping the whole Netflix original as a show they made. That would draw me in because I knew they were not afraid to push the boundaries and go hard on the bad language and violence if needed. Now it's just confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think they should use a different term. Like Netflix exclusive or something. In the beginning, at least here in the US they were pimping the whole Netflix original as a show they made. That would draw me in because I knew they were not afraid to push the boundaries and go hard on the bad language and violence if needed. Now it's just confusing.

This is a good point and maybe in time, as Netflix develops their own style, they will differentiate. But at the moment the number of Netflix-comissioned shows is very low and it makes sense for them inflate that number by including acquired content under the same banner.

Also they are presumedly acquiring the kinds of shows they would like to produce and would be prepared renew if the original network drops them, as they’ve already done in the case The Killing, Black Mirror, etc. So there isn’t really a clear distinction between Netflix-acquired and Netflix-produced. The former often leads to the latter. And even if it doesn’t, Netflix wouldn’t be calling it a “Netflix Original” if they didn’t consider it reflective of their standard of quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Hope they don't mess this up.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-39873020
    British comic book icon Judge Dredd is to star in his own TV show.
    Rebellion, which prints the character's stories in 2000 AD, is teaming up with studio IM Global to produce the "big-budget" series.

It is the first time the futuristic lawman's on-screen escapades are being overseen by the Oxford-based publisher.
    Rebellion said development of the project, titled Judge Dredd: Mega-City One, has begun, with the cast to be announced at a later date.
    The programme will be filmed in the UK, a spokesman said.

'Seminal sci-fi property'
    Jason and Chris Kingsley, the owners of Rebellion, said: "We're very excited to be beginning the journey to get more of Judge Dredd's Mega-City One on the television screen.
    "Thanks to the legions of fans who have kept up pressure on social media, and a lot of background work and enthusiasm, we aim to make a big budget production that will satisfy both our vast comics audience and the even greater general screen-watching public."

Sylvester Stallone played Judge Dredd in 1995, and Karl Urban in 2012
    Judge Dredd patrols an over-populated metropolis in the 22nd Century, where he has the powers of a judge, jury and executioner.
    Created by John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra in 1977, his satirical stories took inspiration from hard-edged cop movies and the punk movement.
    He has previously been portrayed in films by Sylvester Stallone in 1995 and Karl Urban in 2012.

Mark Stern, executive producer on the show, previously worked for the Syfy channel on Battlestar Galactica.
    He described Dredd as "one of those seminal sci-fi properties that seems to only become and more relevant with age".
    He added: "Not only is it a rich world with biting social commentary, but it's also fun as hell.

"As a fan of the comics and both films, it's a dream come true to be able to work with Jason and Chris in adapting this for television."
    IM Global's previous productions include the Oscar-winning Hacksaw Ridge and Martin Scorsese's Silence.

Since this may end up being a follow-up to the film, I've merged this with the existing Dredd 2 thread, where the possibility of a Netflix show had been discussed. There's also a thread about this in Television, which is where discussion of the show will ultimately reside.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

fingers crossed they can nab Urban.

absolute NO brainer .

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭fitz

fingers crossed they can nab Urban.

absolute NO brainer .

If they can get Thirlby back as Anderson that's be great too. Thought she and Urban had a great dynamic...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,270 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Great news

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Been crossing my fingers for 10 years in the hope that this will happen. Flaws and all, 'Dredd' was bloody great. It's forever a cinematic shame that that movie didn't do the business it deserved.

Drokk it anyway.

Came out at the wrong time really, the comparison with The Raid not helping - and had 3D bolted onto it when that gimmick had been winding down.

That article doesn't sound hopeful cos an actor might sign-up but without a script or actually production company it means nothing, ultimately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement