Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road to the Ryder Cup 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

stevieob wrote: »
    My tip is Rory and Sergio to team up together ;)

*Runs to a bookies*

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

PARlance wrote: »
    *Runs to a bookies*

i was looking for odds.... couldn't find any :(

i want half your winnings ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Has McGinley named any reserve vice captains in case Padraig has to play ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Has McGinley named any reserve vice captains in case Padraig has to play ?

Yeah Happy Gilmore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,816 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Just watched Azinger's win as Captain in 2008 - He had the crowd worked up perfect.

But the US players just played out of their skins - the course looked a joke - (wide) - Anthony Kim had 10 threes in 14 holes .

He is remembered as a great Captain - Faldo a villain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭abff

Just watched Azinger's win as Captain in 2008 - He had the crowd worked up perfect.

But the US players just played out of their skins - the course looked a joke - (wide) - Anthony Kim had 10 threes in 14 holes .

He is remembered as a great Captain - Faldo a villain.

In fairness, there's a lot of reasons why Faldo is remembered as a villain. But I guess he might have got away with it if Europe had won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Can you give us a summary of those reasons? Wasn't as into golf back then so don't understand

Synode wrote: »
    Can you give us a summary of those reasons? Wasn't as into golf back then so don't understand

He started off with a bad speech.

Wasn't a big deal but when things went bad . The media turned on him and he could do no right.

I've heard a few players saying they liked some of the ideas he had.

unusual character.

He lost. If he won he would have been an eccentric genius.

The point I'm making is. Nobody could have taken that us team The way they played.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭baboo800

Wasn't a big deal but when things went bad . The media turned on him and he could do no right.

unusual character.

The point I'm making is. Nobody could have taken that us team The way they played.

At least he reminded us to bring our waterproofs to celtic manor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Dealerz

unusual character.

Eccentric is a word, arrogant and pompous are two other words, socially inept is also a phrase! However having said all that, he was a bloody good golfer and Ryder cup player, so he deserved his captaincy.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

Synode wrote: »

Tried to turn it into the Nick Faldo Show! wasn't and still isn't really that in touch with the European Tour.
    Cant remember exactly but of the top of my head something like this
    Spent half the opening ceremony talking about his family...irreverent stuff like his sons school grades.

When introducing the players got Soren Hensons name wrong (looked as if he genuinely didnt know who he was. Tried to get one of the single players a date and some stupid potato comment about Gmac.

His list of pairings was caught on camera and he tried some bsh1t excuse about it being sambo orders for lunch

Google faldo speech

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/rydercup/3024134/Ryder-Cup-Europe-captain-Nick-Faldo-fails-to-impress-at-competition-opening-ceremony-Golf.html

Ok.

Good question.

How far would you have to go back to get a normal bloke that was captain.

Typically they are not normal lads. That is why you are a top sports star.
    A little unhinged seems to be the way.

Think I'm thinking one normal lad in what 20 years.

Ronney wrote: »
    When introducing the players got Soren Hensons name wrong (looked as if he genuinely didnt know who he was.

Oh the irony :D

You mean Soren Hansen ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

stevieob wrote: »
    Oh the irony :D

You mean Soren Hansen ? :rolleyes:

Yea thats the won, my spellling is not the best....least I didnt call him Stenson

Ronney wrote: »
    Yea thats the won, my spellling is not the best....least I didnt call him Stenson

I spotted that ;) I'm only having the craic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,477 ✭✭✭Trampas

Great tactics by Westwood and gallacher. Playing crap to give USA false sense they'll be chicken feed to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Trampas wrote: »
    Great tactics by Westwood and gallacher. Playing crap to give USA false sense they'll be chicken feed to them

Pity Bjorn isn't in that bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭stitcheddepin

it will make for a very interesting weekend of golf, depending on who gets paired against who for honours in my opinion. Europes top seeds ( rory, Sergio, Justin, martin, Jamie(outplaying victor this weather) and henrik) would/will outmuscle US ( fat phil, jimmy, jim, rickie, jordan and kuch).
    the rest could just as easily f**k a point away as win it.
    it will be closer than people expect

• Registered Users Posts: 21,207 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

This time next week we shall all be stuck on the couch for over an hour!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

This has probably been asked already but how do they pick who plays who in the matches?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

ForeRight wrote: »
    This has probably been asked already but how do they pick who plays who in the matches?

As in who plays against who ?

Paul selects the players he wants and in the order he wants them to play in.
    Tom will do the same.

Then they'll match their lists up and there's your order.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ForeRight wrote: »

The singles is a lottery in the sense that both captains list their team in order 1-12 in the order they will play without knowing the order of the other team.

With the team matches I think the away captain gets to see the pairings and order of the home team and can match up his team against them then. Not 100% on that.

PARlance wrote: »
    The singles is a lottery in the sense that both captains list their team in order 1-12 in the order they will play without knowing the order of the other team.

With the team matches I think the away captain gets to see the pairings and order of the home team and can match up his team against them then. Not 100% on that.

no your wrong there, nobody gets to see any pairings. captains list the pairings in their order of preference and that's that!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GenuineFan

Mushy, I won't be on the couch, coz I'll be there :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,293 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

GenuineFan wrote: »

Hey, I managed to get some last minute tickets. Just trying to sort out transport out from Edinburgh, but the buses seem to be sold out, and the trains have stopped selling tickets. Do you happen to know of any public transport that has tickets still available?

We are staying in Dundee and have traIn tickets. On the ryder cup website there is a travel section, email them.

La de Da! Very jealous!

I think the match is going to finish 14-14. Hopefully by Friday I'll be off the fence.

Thanks for taking the remark in the spirit it was meant.

Ya, my husband and I are going. I applied for the tickets, not thinking I would get them. We got 2 days, Thursday (practice day and opening ceremony) and Friday (first match day). Would have preferred 2 match days but beggars can't be choosers. Looking forward to it now.

• Advertisement

Thanks for taking the remark in the spirit it was meant.

Ya, my husband and I are going. I applied for the tickets, not thinking I would get them. We got 2 days, Thursday (practice day and opening ceremony) and Friday (first match day). Would have preferred 2 match days but beggars can't be choosers. Looking forward to it now.

Here for a common goal we are!

A practice day is actually nearly better, you get to see so much more. I was at it in the K Club, parents took me and getting to see the players up so close, especially Woods. Enjoy it all!

Advertisement